Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I'm watching the series through with the lady and S1e13 is just obviously the inspiration for Old Gregg from The Mighty Boosh.

SG-1 Episode in question:

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_and_Water

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qasv6 - Right at about the 14:16 mark for the scene I'm talking about.

Here's Old Gregg from The Mighty Boosh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LZo9ugJTWQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like stargreat sg-1, imo (it's a good show) (boosh is p. good too)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Time loop episode was loving awesome, no one else spoil it for him.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world
I liked the episode with Macgyver in it.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Parts Kit posted:

Time loop episode was loving awesome, no one else spoil it for him.

I haven't seen Stargate since it aired but the two episodes that stand out in memory are that and Wormhole X-Treme

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
stargate is great
stargate atlantis was fun if a little repetitive
stargate universe was terribad.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There aren't any fish in Jack's pond

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Never seen it.
Just rewatched the massive Battlestar Galactica TV series, took me a few weeks
It was so loving good and I'd forgotten a shitload of plot twists.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BSG is gritty, SG-1 is a fun romp around the universe. Stargate Atlantis is a but more serious than SG-1 but ultimately the same, and Universe is a BSG lite that got canceled before it got started. Skip Universe unless you want to fall in love with a show that will just disappoint because it took 2 season to setup the galaxy and finally show content, then immediately got canned.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
indeed

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I didn't even really like the movie that much, sorry OP.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I liked SG-1 until Macgyver quit.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a Cylon, Op!

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Never really watched it much but I have a massive crush on Amanda Tapping. Does that count?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I love that episode where they go to the Quarry-outside-Vancouver planet

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pixaal posted:

BSG is gritty, SG-1 is a fun romp around the universe. Stargate Atlantis is a but more serious than SG-1 but ultimately the same, and Universe is a BSG lite that got canceled before it got started. Skip Universe unless you want to fall in love with a show that will just disappoint because it took 2 season to setup the galaxy and finally show content, then immediately got canned.

Well.
No.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I Also really like the BSG episodes that take place on the quarry-outside-Vancouver planet

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

SG-1 was absolutely awesome and I watched it religiously until about season 6 (I think). Didn't get into the spin-offs at all but what a show SG-1 was.
Those Vancouver planets were always a treat to discover.
Also my teenage self had a huge hard-on for Dr. Frasier.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
my favourite planet was wet sand dunes planet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know it's not true, but I would start watching SG-1 right this second if it was another Cheers-verse spinoff :sigh:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Stargate is a fun show, but christ it wasn't very good until it found its footing

also

from the last GBS thread

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I miss when sci fi tv was fun like SG-1. Now everything is all loving grim dark, like reality. Please give me my escapism back.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

I miss when sci fi tv was fun like SG-1. Now everything is all loving grim dark, like reality. Please give me my escapism back.

Yeah, this.

I watch a show today and I just know any second one of the characters will have an incredibly gory death.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I had to watch the entire series for work and holy poo poo are those guys ever just getting kidnaped by aliens or possessed by aliens or poisoned by alien viruses or jeeze why the gently caress would you want to be on that team how much do they pay, what are the benefits that make it worth it??

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nooner posted:

I had to watch the entire series for work and holy poo poo are those guys ever just getting kidnaped by aliens or possessed by aliens or poisoned by alien viruses or jeeze why the gently caress would you want to be on that team how much do they pay, what are the benefits that make it worth it??

You get to be a HERO duh. They are heroic by nature. Stop asking these silly questions like what in capitalism would make someone sign up for this job.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

It's awesome that they actually incorporate and use the tech they find. It starts out with them barely knowing how to use a jury-rigged star gate, and ends with the US Airforce flying starships between galaxies.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

how do i get a job as a professional stargate sg-1 watcher?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MasBrillante posted:

Yeah seriously. The real world is lovely as it is; I watch SciFi for the hopeful future it presents. BSG aside.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SG-1 was the original Orville (having fun ripping off Star Trek plots)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

LordArgh posted:

how do i get a job as a professional stargate sg-1 watcher?

Get a job in post production, and no don't because for every SG1 you get to watch there is a Flipper the Dolphin: The Series or worse

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I'm watching the episode with the crystal skull right now

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6fgZP7jP4o

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

There's a Stargate pinball machine I like but I really wish it was themed after SG-1 instead of the movie. Anyway, show is good.

Edit: I just remember reading some trivia that mentioned Stargate chevron dialer dude is the only actor outside the primary cast members to be in every single episode lol.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I think my favorite thing about the original Stargate movie is the weird little grin Kurt Russell gives to one of Ra's mooks before he machineguns the poo poo out of him during the climax. That and the aesthetic of the Ancient Aliens. I've always found Ra's Sarcophagus unsettling.

SG-1 owns. One of my personal favorite sci-fi series next to Babylon 5. It's just so much drat fun.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
yeah op

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
dont watch op this is the worst bit of the entire series youll be put off forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBNJ1A_CjI

TheMaskedUgly fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 3, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Fenrir posted:

I liked SG-1 until Macgyver quit.

I'm ashamed to admit that I have been binge watching SG-1 seasons 1 to 8 over the recent 2 weeks or so, skipping some of the non plot related planet of the week filler eps.
It came to a screeching halt at exactly that point. They wheeled in a whole bunch of new guys after everyone quit (I guess they begged a few of them successfully to stay on as recurring), and the tone went from relaxed to a weird slapstick comedy :confused:
Didn't make it through even the first episode of season 9.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I haven’t gotten around to it yet. But i will though. That’s my promise, nay guarantee, to all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Kuato posted:

I haven’t gotten around to it yet. But i will though. That’s my promise, nay guarantee, to all of you.

thank you for your service