Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This week my car got broken into (they didn't steal my waffle maker, so I win bitch!)

The majority of people I've told this to have asked me if I left my doors unlocked. I said no, obviously, because that's insanity: but apparently that's a thing most people do in big cities? Leaving it open because it's going to get broken into anyway. That's madness. That's like leaving your front door unlocked because a murderer is just going to break in and wear your skin anyway.

I feel like I'm being gaslighted. Set the record straight goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Well, how else are you expected to play GTA?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I always lock my doors.

I used to live in Milwaukee 15 years ago and there's a neighborhood called River West where everyone had this philosophy - leave your doors unlocked or else they'll just break a window.

For me, my secret is to just not have anything worth stealing.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

i have a friend who does this because he reasons that it’s better to have something stolen out of your car rather than have a window smashed + something stolen from your car. however i feel like your window is only going to get smashed if you have something of value that’s visible

personally i keep my doors locked. i’m out in baltimore and where i’m at it’s way more common for people to go from car to car, checking if anyone left their doors unlocked. if there’s something valuable in my car i cover it with a blanket if i can’t hide it in the center console/glove box

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

I always lock my doors.

I used to live in Milwaukee 15 years ago and there's a neighborhood called River West where everyone had this philosophy - leave your doors unlocked or else they'll just break a window.

I lived just passed River west (Booth and Chambers) and every one of my car windows was eventually broken and replaced with hard plastic

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I attach an electrical box to my car so touching it zaps your rear end but I still lock my car doors.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

LabyaMynora posted:

My strategy too. Never leave anything in your car more valuable than a broken window.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
You probably know people who live or lived in very lovely neighborhoods.

Bad neighborhood or not it is a thing with soft top convertibles though since its so easy to slice those open without making a lot of noise or setting off an alarm. They can be crazy expensive, better to just let someone rifle through your poo poo.

Course doing this can backfire to, I've heard multiple anecdotes of homeless people deciding to sleep in unlocked cars when its freezing out(maybe fibs to demonize the indigent) or street addicts turning them into overnight drug dens. Nothing like coming out to your car in the morning and discovering used needles on the seat!

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
If my car is in my garage, no I don't lock it. If it's parked anywhere else, I lock it.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My car is from the goddamn future OP I can't even tell if it's locked I think it does it itself

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I lock it while I'm out and about. Then, when home, I park them in the garage like a well-adjusted adult.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yes but I also park my car indoors.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't

Get the odd time where someone comes around testing doors looking for change and I lost an iPod that way but Buddha tells me to not worry about these things

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
When I walk away from it with the key fob in my pocket it locks automatically so I don't really get a say in the matter.

It's a cheap french econobox so it probably doesn't garner a second look.

Also don't leave valuables in plain sight but that's just common sense

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lol at my friend who left his iPad in a carrier bag in his gf's Jeep which only had those zippers around the translucent windows as protection.

The iPad got stolen obviously then he like cried and moaned about it everywhere, it also had his artwork on it, none of which he backed up despite there literally being a feature that does it with minimal effort but this is also a guy who complains about back pain but never fixes his terrible posture and always says he's going to start cooking his own food but then buys stuff and lets it expire in the fridge while continuing to buy take out. Basically makes his life miserable by being preposterously lazy.

He then proceeded to buy another overpriced iPad by borrowing money from his GF and again doesn't use the automatic backup feature.

Also he allowed his art, which was really good for his age when he was younger, to stagnate by refusing to actually learn anything more, so he still couldn't do landscapes or backgrounds after fifteen years. Now he just uses mirroring poo poo and prefab tools on his iPad to make mediocre hippy art he makes prints of and sells.

He's a big fan of No Man's Sky too, not really relevant but it's a major character flaw.

All I'm saying is don't be this guy.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone looking to break in to your car is going to break a window anyway, either to get in or as a general "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" because you had something worth stealing in plain sight or they felt blue balled because it seemed like you would but you didn't.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I lock my car because that's where I dump all my change

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I typically have a lot of valuable sexual devices in my car so no I do not leave my car doors unlocked under any circumstances.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
leave car unlocked but filled with poison gas, bombs, and venomous bugs

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if you are rich enough to own a car you deserve getting it stolen

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I don't have a car but I lock my bike

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I live in a remote enough part of Oregon that I don’t lock my car and just leave the keys in the ignition. I don’t live close enough to a town to worry about it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tony Snark posted:

Anyone looking to break in to your car is going to break a window anyway, either to get in or as a general "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" because you had something worth stealing in plain sight or they felt blue balled because it seemed like you would but you didn't.

This. My roommate kept his car unlocked and completely empty of personal items except for some change in the cupholders, it was parked next to my car that was locked and full of random poo poo. Someone smashed the windows of his unlocked car for what amounted to less than 5 dollars in change lol. They only took the quarters and dimes.

We lived in a horrible neighborhood and both of our cars were completely worthless trash that barely ran.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol
My first car was a Pinto given to me for free by my best friend when she upgraded and "You are 19 time for you to get your license!"
(She was the best friend I ever had.)

Not only did I leave it unlocked, I left the keys in the ignition when I was at work. In town.
It was so ugly it did not occur to me it would get stolen. She used to haul hay in it and I never bothered to clean it.
:shrug:

Maybe 9 months later it WAS stolen. I bought a used Celica.
Then a couple months later I got a phone call from a rural police dept. They'd found it deep in the woods, would I come get it? Kids I assume had a good time, tree boughs were entwined in the bumpers.

The Car That Would Not Die started right up even though it had no oil when we arrived, and I sold it for $250 to two guys who were excited to get the motor.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I dated a girl who lived on a rough street that left her POS car unlocked because it wouldn't be worth fixing a broken window. I guess that makes some kind of sense. Her place was next to a townie bar so drunk people rifled through her cassettes often but the tapes were only there as a joke, each one worse than the last.

Moments after walking away from my locked car in Baltimore I looked back and saw an extremely drunk man walking along trying every car door handle.

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 4, 2019

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Macnult posted:

personally i keep my doors locked. i’m out in baltimore and where i’m at it’s way more common for people to go from car to car, checking if anyone left their doors unlocked.

Lol didn't notice my own story had been posted.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean if you leave it unlocked you're just being an npc leaving a loot chest for someone else's adventure

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find the idea of someone who gets smashed and habitually tries to open every car door really funny for some reason

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’ve seen several cars with notes on them that say something like “The doors are open, please don’t break the windows (again).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I drive the flintstones car

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I drive the flintstones car

That's so cool

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How many pages will it take for enlightened goons to reach the conclusion that locking your doors is terrible because preventing homeless people from stealing your poo poo is class suppression, and start unironically making GBS threads on selfish bootlickers for doing so?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I wish someone would steal my car and total it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

counterfeitsaint posted:

How many pages will it take for enlightened goons to reach the conclusion that locking your doors is terrible because preventing homeless people from stealing your poo poo is class suppression, and start unironically making GBS threads on selfish bootlickers for doing so?

The joy someone received from stealing my empty water bottles and taped up poor condition paperback copy of Tantras, book two of the Forgotten Realms Avatar Trilogy is much greater than the sadness I experienced in losing them.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey i think we'd live in a better society if the inside of everyones car was like a bring a book, take a book station

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

My car is inert.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
anyone who leaves valuables in a car overnight is a moron and deserves no sympathy if they are stolen hth

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You can steal what you want from my car but you just gotta be willing to rummage through my pile of off color sex toys.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LabyaMynora posted:

I always lock my doors.

Clearly there is a market for windows filled with a gas that explodes into fire if broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There's a bingo raffle in my car take one and scrawl your card into my dash with a supplied boning knife and if you return to my unlocked car a week later you might win a keychain provided it wasn't stolen first.