Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

came across this article while looking up reviews and it made me irrationally angry

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a28610128/tool-band-new-album-fear-inoculum-should-never-be-released/

just lmao Tool is one of the most popular rock bands in history, you don't get to gatekeep it because you got bitter and old

anyway gonna try and listen to the album today, glad to hear y'all liking it a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
7empest really reminds me of Undertow which is good because I a huge fondness for that album and the sound on it. Like real palm muted riffs

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

came across this article while looking up reviews and it made me irrationally angry

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a28610128/tool-band-new-album-fear-inoculum-should-never-be-released/

just lmao Tool is one of the most popular rock bands in history, you don't get to gatekeep it because you got bitter and old

anyway gonna try and listen to the album today, glad to hear y'all liking it a lot!

Ah yes, the small, ELITE group of devoted intellectuals, the Tool fanbase. What a loving dope.

Edit: this really benefits from headphones or a good sound system. So many tiny things going on.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 25, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I'm sure you'll be able to get it in indie record stores at least, otherwise the advertising language on the package seems very pointless.

I hope so! I am not sure where to look online to keep an eye open for new copies to become available.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

Jesus, what an insufferable prick. He did a nice job of summing up everything I hate about Tool’s fan base.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am pretty sure that article is satire.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am pretty sure that article is satire.

I think you are right it's so over the top ridiculous that it must be, surely

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yarbald posted:

Jesus, what an insufferable prick. He did a nice job of summing up everything I hate about Tool’s fan base.

wide fonts are coming back huh

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
7empest may be one of their best songs ever.

"Keep calm, keeping it calm, keeping it calm, gently caress...here we go again"

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Nail Rat posted:

7empest may be one of their best songs ever.

"Keep calm, keeping it calm, keeping it calm, gently caress...here we go again"

Yeah I keep coming back to 7empest and Pneuma. 7empest is incredible. I dont want to burn myself out from the album, but after 13 years of waiting I've been letting it play in the background and every time 7empest comes back on I cant help but smile. Adam Jones redeems himself! And dat drumming. gently caress its good.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Since no Tool thread is complete without terrible lists, this is how I see it right now:

7empest
Pneuma
Descending
Culling Voices
Invincible
Fear Inoculum
Chocolate Chip Trip (I basically consider this an interlude that I will probably skip more often than not)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Since no Tool thread is complete without terrible lists, this is how I see it right now:

7empest
Pneuma
Descending
Culling Voices
Invincible
Fear Inoculum
Chocolate Chip Trip (I basically consider this an interlude that I will probably skip more often than not)

Does the whole album sound similar to FI in terms of it being a sort of generic blend of Lateralus/10k days?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Not in my opinion. I hear a lot of Undertow and Aenema types of riffs as well, as well as a number of new sounds they've never used. And overall this is definitely Adam Jones's best work and maybe Danny Carrey's.

Fear Inoculum is the least intetesting of all the six long songs, even though I do like it now.

Where it does have an overall similarity with the two most recent (heh) album is that they're all loving long with multiple "movements."

I suppose gun to my head I'd say it's more like Lateralus and 10,000 days than the 90s stuff, it's just not as clear-cut as that first song.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 26, 2019

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Does the whole album sound similar to FI in terms of it being a sort of generic blend of Lateralus/10k days?

I'm gonna say yes. If you're looking for "songs" then stick with aenima and undertow imo. Lots of aimless drifting with little sense of progression on this album.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a shame really coz i do like songs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
chocolate trip should've been the lead single and opening track

all in all it's like every other tool album, a few cool bits interspersed among a bunch of boring nonsense

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
It's a rare thing to wait 13 years for something and have it go far beyond expectations, this album is insanely good.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I like it. Its definitely the Danny-Adam-Justin show most of the time which is cool, Maynard seems pretty restrained the whole time. I don't care at all for the chug-a-lug parts Pneuma and some others have but overall the guitar work is good.

these are still very much "songs" it's just a different approach to songwriting than anything else they've done. every song has a ton of little bits that weave in and out and come together and apart over 10 minutes, its neat.

percussion is the highlight for me. Carey does so many cool fills and drum riffs (idk what to call it) that make each song its own thing.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

In the end they did what they had to do. Lots of people don’t like Tool. Lots of people find Tool uninteresting or uber pretentious or whatever we’ve heard for 10,000 days. But it’s a great Tool record, they changed their sound for some tracks, others have lots of familiar melodies and a WHOLE lot of layers.

New thread title: gently caress: here we go again

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does the album get heavier than Fear Inoculum? I'm waiting until the release date and I'm not expecting it to, but I'd like it to...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's heavy parts, but for example, nothing compares to the heavy parts in undertow (the song not the album), because on this album, the heaviness isn't often accompanied by a solid groove.

I remember when I first listened to lateralus, that time change (from 4/4 to 6/8 or whatever it was) I was like "jesus this is cool".. whereas this album there isn't really anything that I am like "this is cool", and I feel compelled to listen to it more out of duty to my prior love of tool rather than because anything on this album grabs me

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

H13 posted:

Does the album get heavier than Fear Inoculum? I'm waiting until the release date and I'm not expecting it to, but I'd like it to...

7empest is the heaviest song, but not the whole song is heavy. It feels more like Lateralus. Definitely heavier than the single though. It’s so loving good, if you like Tool it’s hard to not like this song. (Obviously an opinion but come on.....)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard to accept they spent so long making a song that sounds like a jam session tho. Like the solo is very long and OK, he's no David Gilmour, and feels structureless. Even songs like Third Eye feel much more structured despite being all over the place.. To me anyway. Maybe I need to get stoned

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

It's hard to accept they spent so long making a song that sounds like a jam session tho. Like the solo is very long and OK, he's no David Gilmour, and feels structureless. Even songs like Third Eye feel much more structured despite being all over the place.. To me anyway. Maybe I need to get stoned

If this is still in reference to Fear Inoculum, it absolutely isn't a jam session and has a really interesting structure to it. It's subtle and it doesn't beat you over the head like Vicarious but there's some drat cool poo poo going on in Fear Inoculum.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Is it just my FLAC -> 320 encode, or is there some crispy Zwan-style clipping all over this?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its better than 10,000 days but its not as good as a whole as Lateralus was.

individually the tracks are all pretty solid tool tracks.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

A Big... Dog posted:

Is it just my FLAC -> 320 encode, or is there some crispy Zwan-style clipping all over this?

There's a reference you don't hear often. But yes I hear some of that at least.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So since the album is apparently great, I'll hold off on listening to the leak and wait until I buy it.

But has anyone found if you can buy it with the three extra tracks, preferably in like FLAC format? I'll just rip it to mp3 anyways, but I never like buying lossy albums when at least a CD is out. It just seems a bit pointless to buy the physical release this time when the CDs are missing tracks.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Nail Rat posted:

There's a reference you don't hear often. But yes I hear some of that at least.

drat. It's weirdly distracting for me, kinda hope it's the fault of the Las Vegas Hotel Ripper and isn't on the actual release...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

IUG posted:

So since the album is apparently great, I'll hold off on listening to the leak and wait until I buy it.

But has anyone found if you can buy it with the three extra tracks, preferably in like FLAC format? I'll just rip it to mp3 anyways, but I never like buying lossy albums when at least a CD is out. It just seems a bit pointless to buy the physical release this time when the CDs are missing tracks.

Not sure about FLAC format, but on both the mp3 preorder and streaming page for the album on Amazon, it lists the bonus interludes. So they're not exclusive to the physical edition download. Seems the "limited edition CD" is actually the only format that doesn't have the extra tracks.

Seems the album is pretty polarizing, which was the case for both 10,000 Days and Lateralus. So yeah it's a Tool album.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just started listening to the new album...so far Pneuma is like a top 5 tool song of all time for me. What an awesome day!

e: for me the long play tracks of tool are most of my favorite tracks...this album is just blowing my mind more and more as i go through it, seeing people say 7empest is the best track...I'm losing my mind with anticipation, but I'm working through the whole album right now in order. Just wow!

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 26, 2019

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Not sure how you can battle 13 years of anticipation and speculation and still come out on top, but this album is fantastic.

It's like Ænima and Lateralus had a sweet baby with some modular synthesis thrown in. I was prepared to be disappointed, but it's great.

schizophrenic
Jul 29, 2004
<3
Album is good, legit blowing my mind. All the little hints and details are amazing, like 9.40ish into Descending. Whole album feels playful, I keep giggling at the little details.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

A Big... Dog posted:

tool have had clipping issues since barresi got involved. shame, really. that's what put me off 10k days.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Emetic Hustler posted:

tool have had clipping issues since barresi got involved. shame, really. that's what put me off 10k days.

Yeah the overload on Vicarious felt like amateur hour. I guess it's his thing.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What are you guys talking about? I’m legitimately naive about this. Can you point to a specific point in a recording?

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

it's mixed too loudly so it clips which causes distortion and at least my ears get fatigued. i really hope they remaster the last two albums with no clipping

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Didn't Metallica do this x100 on Death Magnetic? That poo poo sounded awful and I don't normally have an ear for this kind of stuff.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Not trying to get into an audiophile argument but I haven't noticed any distortion, if anything this album has some of the cleanest sound, strongest bass, I've heard on a tool album yet. Playing this on studio monitors it's not sibilant or distorted and no clipping I've noticed, playing it in my car it actually hits hard which is a joy for an idiot with subs like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Jewmanji posted:

What are you guys talking about? I’m legitimately naive about this. Can you point to a specific point in a recording?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-ERheCn6A

2:43 in Vicarious for example, listen with decent headphones and you can hear a static-y noise in Danny's drum fill. That's audio clipping.