Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Tool's new album, Fear Inoculum, will be out August 30th.

The lead single and preorder info is coming Wednesday. Also they're finally on Spotify/Apple Music/what have you.

https://twitter.com/Tool/status/1158409126734487553

And lastly, it's the most self-indulgent Tool album yet - 85 minutes with only seven tracks. https://loudwire.com/new-tool-album-80-minutes-seven-tracks/

Yeah uh, that's it, but I had no idea which megathread they go in.

edit: why the hell not, here's the discussion thread(s) for the last album, over 13 years ago. Requires archives. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1806906 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1865144

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
god drat the album art is so bad

I think my taste has changed too much (for the better) to really enjoy another Tool album but I guess we'll see

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
holy poo poo that cover is absolutely terrible

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The cringiest part of the cover is that 2019 is "hidden" in the characters. But I think the title is even worse than the cover itself. That said, I am looking forward to the music.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I still like Tool but I'm old and my musical tastes mostly froze in the 90s.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
That's a prog metal album art, throw a wizard on that or something and you get symphony x.

Still, I am looking forward to the album. I still like tool, the songs they played live are good, hopefully the 5 other ones are good too.

edit: Actually I didn't care much for tool back in the late 90s to early 2000s but I've grown to appreciate them as I got older.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Their new songs sound like 10000 Days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZJIldL5TZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akeCFH7YybM

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

https://portofsoundrecords.com/products/fear-inoculum-cd-bundle?variant=28887843111017 apparently this is the deluxe version of the album, because they're just as late to the party getting back to vinyl as they were for streaming.

The download included is ten minutes longer than the CD, and the going theory is that it includes the ten minute rerecording of Opiate they teased a couple years back.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wasn’t the new A Perfect Circle album really bad? I’m surprised that Tool is still even together

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wasn’t the new A Perfect Circle album really bad? I’m surprised that Tool is still even together

It was supremely forgettable for sure. Tool has managed to sell out arenas on the regular with their sporadic touring over the years since their last official LP dropped. The fanbase is still there to throw money at them, and arguably the diehards from the early 90's when dude was painting himself blue and living center stage are now firmly in adulthood with potentially more cash to drop on tickets, albums, and VIP packages. I bet they know what they're doing from a "how do we keep this successful" standpoint.

e: I am Jack's bad grammar.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 6, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The REAL Goobusters posted:

A couple of the songs were good but the whole thing being "meh" wasn't really a surprise after eMotive anyway.

Billy Howerdel had two good albums in him and that was it - just look at Ashes Divide. That was crap too.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it sounds like an angry blue man group

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, they're never gonna top the Rosetta Stoned alien story, but I'll probably end up listening to the new poo poo anyway.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
I saw them in Hampton, Virginia a few months ago where they played two of the new album tracks, which made me very optimistic about the new album. But I'm mainly happy that Tool now stands a chance at finding a new, young fanbase. I cannot think of any relatively new large band that is as subversive as Tool, of which we have a massive dearth nowadays.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
They have released the title track and it sure sounds like more Tool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7DfQMPmJRI

I guess the die hard fans will be happy, but to me it sounds predictable.
EDIT: for the record, I think Tool hit its creative peak on AEnima and I loved Lateralus

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

On first listen the title track isn't anywhere near as good as the two new songs they'd played this spring, so it's an odd choice both for title track and lead single.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Adam Jones' guitar work is so goddamn uncreative.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I mean it's not 13 years' wait good, but I dig this Reflection remix

Sounds like scraps put together from poo poo that was cut from Lateralus, but that's not the worst thing

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

angrygodofjebus posted:

I mean it's not 13 years' wait good, but I dig this Reflection remix

Sounds like scraps put together from poo poo that was cut from Lateralus, but that's not the worst thing

Yeah it sounds like different poo poo from Lateralus just put on together without much of a narrative or structure. Maybe it'll get better with repeated listens but I don't know if I have the patience anymore for that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's fairly enjoyable except for the terrible Adam Jones "solo" but the live videos of Descending and Invincible give me hope the rest is better.

That said it's pretty funny that this sounds exactly like what you'd get if you decided to make more Lateralus/10,000 days. Guess that's where they froze stylistically.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 7, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Somebody trained a songwriting neural net using only the last 2 Tool albums, and this new one will be the result.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
It sounds like you got on Pandora 10 years ago and made a Tool station. Fear Inoculum is the first non-Tool song that plays after you thumb up the first 2 Tool songs.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
In my very humble, utterly fanboy opinion.

Tool are fairly unique. I've listened to a lot of Prog Metal and they still stand out as being "Tool"

And after a few albums of being "Tool" you do kinda end up writing yourself into a corner where you'll be a bit restricted by your identity. You kinda end up being "obligated' to do that thing you're known for. Sometimes that doesn't allow for extremely varied songwriting.

But speaking as an utterly tragic fanboy, more 10,000 Days and Lateralus is an excellent thing and this poo poo makes me happy. I would argue it's a bit more proggy and less "metal' as it doesn't seem to have the impact it used to. It still has the weird-rear end songwriting where a bunch of disconnected elements eventually weave themselves together to forming a point. I dig it (but I kinda always was going to)

H13 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 7, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I still like Tool but I'm old and my musical tastes mostly froze in the 90s.

This is me. My musical taste are basically "I'm still in high school." I like some artists that are fresh and new, but not too many.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I ordered the silly CD/screen/book combo because I'm a consumer whore and while my tastes have changed/evolved, I still have one foot solidly in my high school tastes.

It's fitting that Spotify decided to play some Soundgarden, RATM, and AIC after this song was over.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A bunch of cool moments spread amongst it, but none of them big enough to sit thru the rest IMO. I’m too old to sit thru long extended intros, especially if they’re more “odd noise” based, I mean they aren’t making the next Shine on you crazy diamond are they. Adam Jones is their anchor I suspect.

The drums sound amazing to be fair

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone, when reading the about the full album package, get a real consumer wasteland vibe? Not that the rest of the world isn’t trash but imagine if a band with as much potential influence as these males decided to go down a less gimmicky-electronics route, and maybe even do something potentially environmentally aware?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kanonvandekempen posted:

They have released the title track and it sure sounds like more Tool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7DfQMPmJRI

I guess the die hard fans will be happy, but to me it sounds predictable.
EDIT: for the record, I think Tool hit its creative peak on AEnima and I loved Lateralus

Æenima was something that sounded like the devil himself concocted, the unity of vision amongst the band was incredible and it was like songs were conceived as whole units rather than starting with a riff or whatever.

After Lateralus I was convinced Adam Jones was actually being held back by his lack of ability. The looks I would get from other Tool fans when I would suggest this was crazy lol, because I was the biggest tool fan in my late teens and still love some of their stuff, but being critical of anything about this band goes down so poorly. I don’t know of many more bands that fans have such an emotional response to criticism. The reddit thread on this new song is such an exercise in stockholm syndrome.

The best thing possible would be for Tool to come out a week later and say “we made
that song as a joke, with bad sounds, on purpose, to weed out those who think for themselves taste wise in music, and those who thing whatever farts we pump out smell like royal assholes”. I wish

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Somebody trained a songwriting neural net using only the last 2 Tool albums, and this new one will be the result.

This is basically how the new song sounds. Which isn't terrible. It's a good song, but not blowing me away like Aenima does.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The three songs they put out for this album all sounds like more Tool, but I think it's fine because its not like they put out an album every year, or other year. I'll hold my judgement until the full album is out and I can hear it all but so far I don't think any of these songs are bad. More of the same yeah, but not bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Fear Inoculum would be the worst song on 10,000 Days but I don't dislike it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

echinopsis posted:

The best thing possible would be for Tool to come out a week later and say “we made
that song as a joke, with bad sounds, on purpose, to weed out those who think for themselves taste wise in music, and those who thing whatever farts we pump out smell like royal assholes”. I wish

I think this was exactly my response to Vicarious.

I was one of those back in the early 2000s so I'm going to listen to anything Tool throws out there, but my expectations are pretty minimal. I enjoyed this song, I guess, but yeah, I'm pretty neutral about it all. It's certainly a Tool song.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I listened to it again and yeah some of the parts seem like they took them from older tool songs, and upon second listening the mix seems too high? Like the whole thing is mixed loud like they got whoever produced the latest Metallica albums.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Certainly is a Tool song. They've refined an unmistakable sound for themselves. Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Trent Reznor has also refined his unique sound, but his stuff is also more varied. Tool is less varied, but they have honed their craft to a t. This new track sounds a lot like Reflection (Lateralus is IMO their peak album, with Aenima a close second), and I wonder if that's why they released it as the first single to get all the fans salivating (no doubt, most of them would buy anything from them after 13 years).

Used to be a huge Tool fan in high school (I guess that's most fans were) and moved away from them over the years, occasionally listening to an album or a track here and there but last decade or so much less so. The favourite tracks still rock as they did before, because they are drat fine compositions no matter how you slice and dice them or how old you are or how your music preferences have changed.
Will probably get the the standard CD without all the ridiculous bells and whistles of the limited edition. Vinyl version also possible if it looks and sounds nice (I am guessing it's also coming).

Considering that these guys have honed their craft for three decades, the album will certainly be good at the least, however I am fairly certain it will not be brilliant like some of their previous albums. A solid Tool album is certain and I am fine with it. They're just a great band among many others, my teenage self might not have agreed with it, but that's how I feel about it. No doubt it will be in heavy rotation once it's out for a little while before I move on to the stuff I currently prefer.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Just finished listening to the new song for the first time. It's good and I'm satisfied. I do echo some of the sentiments in this thread though. It reminds me a little bit of Aphex Twin's "Syro". While good, it's not exactly indicative of more than a decade's worth of progress. It feels more like Tool is just picking up where they left off with 10,000 Days, which would be fine if this was 2009, but it's not, and it's not like they haven't been making music all this time since then. Still, it's just one song, and a pretty nice one at that. I'm just hoping the new record has more to it to set it apart from the other Tool albums.

Also, please reprint Aenima on vinyl.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Supposedly they've been working on remastering the whole back catalog for vinyl rerelease a for a few years. Hoping that's true.

I'd love to have Lateralus on vinyl but not the loving picture disc that's available.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The single is fine, but I'm blown away by the title FEAR INOCULUM. man that's a dumb title

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like high school me back in 2003 would have been super hyped for this album, but now that i'm 34, I don't care nearly as much. Still going to listen to the album though at release.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Am I weird for not hating the album title? Like, what’s bad about it? It’s a bunch of nonsense just like Lateralus or Aenima but it’s squarely on brand for them.

The title track is a pretty bland parody of a Tool song but I agree with whoever said the other two songs sound pretty good. I only liked about half the songs on 10,000 days and thought the title track(s) off that were the worst on the album, so my expectations are pretty tempered. High school me is still somewhere inside me and is excited for this album because I haven’t been excited for an album release in like a decade and I just want to try to get hyped for something I guess. I want to see if these old farts still have an ounce of inspiration left in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think people are being hard on the song but it’s not surprising considering 10,000 days came out when George W Bush was still President and there’s a lot of expectations.

Personally I feel Maynard’s vocals are on point, the lyrics are good, the drumming is REALLY good- the only thing I can see being a “parody” (in reference to the last post) is recognizable guitar progressions that may feel tired to some people but I don’t blame them for releasing something familiar to start with. It’s been over a DECADE.

I am a bit nervous as a whole on the project because 85 minutes long might be EXHAUSTING for 7 tracks but even if the title track was recognizable in terms of sound, it did fly by pretty quickly.

I’ve heard interviews saying none of the songs were being made for radio or as “singles” in the traditional sense so I’m hopeful when I listen to the whole thing it all makes sense.