Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I dunno, I like Fear Inoculum. I think it’s better than 10,000 days at least. I do miss the days when they made shorter songs though. My favorite album is Lateralus, which I think has a good mix of shorter and longer concepts. It also feels like their most well thought out and consistent album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Maynard says that he has to wait until the other three are completely finished with the songs before he listens to them because in the past he starts writing lyrics and melodies for them and then the song will change dramatically and he has to scrap all of that and start over. But that doesn't really account for a 13 year wait.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Absolutely the best thing to come out of Fear Inoculum's release was all their back catalogue being made available on streaming services. I listen to their pre-FI stuff virtually every day now, whereas I hadn't listened to it for years before.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Perfect Element posted:

Absolutely the best thing to come out of Fear Inoculum's release was all their back catalogue being made available on streaming services. I listen to their pre-FI stuff virtually every day now, whereas I hadn't listened to it for years before.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm still listening to Fear Inoculum regularly and still enjoying it. Except for Culling Voices, that one I have yet to like. Everything else, though, remains absolutely solid.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So ... TOOL adjacent?

Watch Danny Carey, Les Claypool, Bill Kelliher, the guy from Coheed and Cambria plus the regular Two Minutes to Late Night crew cover Rush's "Anthem."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

hatelull posted:

So ... TOOL adjacent?

Watch Danny Carey, Les Claypool, Bill Kelliher, the guy from Coheed and Cambria plus the regular Two Minutes to Late Night crew cover Rush's "Anthem."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

This cover rules. Thanks for sharing!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also Tool adjacent

The new puscifer album is phenomenal

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
there's a new one? Nice

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
New Puscifer is okay. The last track is offensive to my ears. It sounds like trashy early 2000s rock the radio station plays. I turned it off 30 seconds into it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Huge tour announced

https://twitter.com/Tool/status/1442490391035461637?s=20

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I don't see any prices posted yet but I wonder how expensive a post(?)-pandemic Tool show at the United Center is going to cost.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
drat, that's exciting. I hope the UK dates don't get instantly bought out by scalpers. I'm guessing these will all be arena dates.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Was I the only one completely blown away by the most recent A Perfect Circle release by how aggressively average and lovely it was? It was like a different band.

The criticism on FI is on point in my opinion, as well. I'm a huge Tool fan, I've seen them live 3 times, etc etc, but FI just inspired a whole heap of nothing in me. I find it very accurate that this thread's specific criticism of seventypest is that it's soulless. I know they're good musicians. Obviously they are. But it felt like a ton of icing with no cake.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Floodixor posted:

Was I the only one completely blown away by the most recent A Perfect Circle release by how aggressively average and lovely it was? It was like a different band.

Nope, I agree. It was poo poo. Tool's last album was forgettable, but I couldn't even get one listen through APC's last CD. loving Pucisfer has had the best output lately.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I liked a few of the tracks on Eat the Elephant, but they were definitely not in the same musical space anymore.

On the other hand I found nothing on the most recent Puscifer album to be that compelling, I listened to it a few times after it came out and shelved it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I listened to that last record through a lot of 2020 while working from home. It definitely sounded like an LP from that band but I never remembered anything about it immediately after listening. Maybe that's good because it's like hearing it for the first time with every spin?

I'll probably try and nab tickets for this tour, if only in the hopes that the set list has been updated and I'm not having to rock out to "stinkfist" yet AGAIN.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Anyone know the presale code?
Edit: you're awesome

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 29, 2021

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

PZ9FFV49

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Well floor was $350 after fees (for two) and gently caress that lol. Got first row of the upper deck for $75 each instead. Thanks for the code dude!

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 29, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pneuma continues to be the only song on FI that’s still on rotation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also here’s some words :

dogs by pink floyd, and other similar long prog floyd tracks like the rest of animals or the song echoes, do the long middle bit

pushit by tool is similar but manages to do so with a million more interesting

i love pink floyd and those songs i mentioned are good but the middle parts get a bit boring

tool does the same thing often but either less boring like pushit or in pneuma’s case just really trancy

anyway those were my words

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

I guess I'm not as down on FI as most of you. Definitely agree it's probably their least interesting album, but when any of those songs come on shuffle I don't turn them off.

I am curious to see how the setlist shakes out. I'd actually like to see more of the older stuff again over FI/10k Days. IIRC on the FI tour the setlist was mostly those two albums.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Still digging FI, Pneuma->Invincible->Descending especially.

Just got tickets for a UK arena show, floor seats in the block immediately in front of stage were £110, it's been so long since I've been to a gig I've no idea if that's crazy or not.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think all the songs have a killer 5-7 minute long sequence in them somewhere which is top tier Tool quality.

But then there's like a 3 minute long intro or ending which...isn't BAD but just makes it feel like a lot of effort to listen to those songs to find those really good bits.

I like all the songs, LOVE a lot of the sequences, but 7empest sucks.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Can we get entertaining Tool back? Ya know the one I could tell the difference between the albums, wouldn't shut up about how great they were, and would gladly pay too much to see live? Cause 80+ bucks to see them
do the same old same, but with mostly songs I don't have any attachment to again is a tough sell.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My local tour stop is Jan 15, just in time for the next holiday COVID wave to peak.

:sigh:

v: Yeah, that's also a reason I don't mind not going. Good grief.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 1, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
After fees.....nearly $200 for lower level seats.........good thing I'm Elons Munsk.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
My friends and I have bought lovely seats for the London dates. Worked out at about £100 each, which is loving crazy. I wasn't that fussed about going, but my best pal who's clinically vulnerable and has literally not been in any kind of crowded space for the last 18 months, insisted, and said 'it's worth dying for', so welp there we go.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I rarely go to big name concerts, but is the standard price for floor tickets nowadays 100+ euro? Back in 2006 when I paid 50+ euros for floor tickets. It's inflation isnt't it? Unfortunately the nearest they will come is a ferry ride away and it's already soldout but the tickets for floor was 130 euros without fees.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think I paid more than $15 the first time I saw Tool. Might have even been $10.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Emetic Hustler posted:

I rarely go to big name concerts, but is the standard price for floor tickets nowadays 100+ euro? Back in 2006 when I paid 50+ euros for floor tickets. It's inflation isnt't it? Unfortunately the nearest they will come is a ferry ride away and it's already soldout but the tickets for floor was 130 euros without fees.

In the UK at least, concert prices have inflated massively in recent years. Unless you're seeing real underground acts, it's more or less impossible to see anyone for less than £35. And that's very much on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Emetic Hustler posted:

we just paid $1100 nzd for 4 floor tickets to guns n roses :cry:

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

In the US right now it seems like (at least for the shows I've copped tickets to) club/smaller venues have held their prices pretty much the same, even now "after" the pandemic. Arena shows, on the other hand, seem to have skyrocketed.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
God dammit Danny, I thought you were cool

https://loudwire.com/tool-danny-carey-first-court-date-alleged-assault/

quote:

Not long after the initial report came out, TMZ published video of Carey repeatedly using a homophobic slur while engaged in the altercation with a male airport employee.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

60 year old man uses formerly commonplace generic insult when mad enough to throw hands.

What a shock.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
What was the slur, was it the f bomb? I don't think people should be making excuses for him either way. Lots of people make it into their 60s and beyond without resorting to bigotry.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The Perfect Element posted:

Lots of people make it into their 60s and beyond without resorting to bigotry.

This is true, but it's mostly old people that do.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Thank you TMZ for your tireless work in the name of social justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This setlist from tour opening

Godddaaamn

Setlist

Fear Inoculum

Opiate (tour debut; extended version)

The Pot

Pushit (Album version, first time with vocals since March 2014)

Pneuma

The Grudge (tour debut, first time with end scream since 2002)

Right in Two (First time since 2011)

Hooker With a Penis(First time since 2014)

Descending

Intermission

Chocolate Chip Trip

Eon Blue Apocalypse

The Patient

Invincible

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 13, 2022