Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The single is fine, but I'm blown away by the title FEAR INOCULUM. man that's a dumb title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yeah Maynard is mostly Mia on this album

I wish they'd do their next album in the opposite direction, starting with Maynard lyrics and basic vocals and then having the other three build up from that. Maybe that would also prevent endless years of tinkering on Adam's part, too?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Origami Dali posted:

God help me, I'm actually doing a fan edit of this loving album.

Can you get rid of the spoken word bit in the title track?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jewmanji posted:

It is pretty startling how long they had to work on this album and yet the form and structure of it feels utterly absent. 7empest is only the worst offender here. When you go back and listen to their previous albums, it's an extremely stark difference. AEnima stretched the typical verse-chorus-verse structure of songs at times, and always to great effect. Many of the songs are plainly conventional in their structure but experiment elsewhere (Stinkfist, H, 46&2). Even when they went off script, the contrast between structure and noise or improvisation felt very deliberate (Pushit, Third Eye). Lateralus, which is sort of the inflection point for the band, represents the apotheosis of the sound they've been utilizing ever since- absolutely no "noise" (no interludes of pick scraping, feedback etc) just riff after riff after riff. The interplay between Adam/Justin was sort of perfected on Lateralus, and they haven't departed from that type of part writing or the general timbre of their instruments since. 10,000 Days is basically a continuation on that theme, but Fear Inoculum represents this weird breakdown in their sound where, on a measure-to-measure basis it's very clear Tool and there aren't exactly weak spots, but over the span of the song it fails to cohere or feel that it has any directionality. Lateralus (the title track) is probably the best example of how this can/should work. Instead everything feels a bit more like Triad. Add to that the fact that the band has traditionally relied on the vocals for the emotional peak of the song, and they're unable to do that on Fear Inoculum, and it makes some of the album feel kind of AI-generated.

Well said, and agreed on sevenempest- I'm astonished they won an award for that song, it sounds like the musical equivalent of something created by a Markov text generator that figured out the rules of how to make a Tool franken-song without imbuing it with any meaning.