Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Really digging Pneuma, if the rest of the album keeps this up I’ll be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

uXs posted:

7empest.

:stare:

An Adam Jones solo that’s... good?? :monocle:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

came across this article while looking up reviews and it made me irrationally angry

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a28610128/tool-band-new-album-fear-inoculum-should-never-be-released/

just lmao Tool is one of the most popular rock bands in history, you don't get to gatekeep it because you got bitter and old

anyway gonna try and listen to the album today, glad to hear y'all liking it a lot!

Jesus, what an insufferable prick. He did a nice job of summing up everything I hate about Tool’s fan base.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

Almost nothing memorable. Amazing buildups that don't go anywhere. The sound production is incredible though.

what the hell, pneuma owns

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

hes using diezel amps. they're a very good amp company

I’m pretty sure he still uses a combo of Diezel and Marshall amps with Mesa Boogie cabinets

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Totally Huge posted:

Seriously how many people were huge fans of Tool, but never really into 10,000 Days and forgot about the band for 13 years until now? I think my tastes were rapidly evolving in the mid 2000's and I just never gave the album a real chance. I've been listening to it this past week and it really is a good album. Not my favorite or anything, but it's got some great songs.

I've also realized just how integral and good Justin is now that I've played bass in a few bands and think a bit more like a bassist. When I was younger I played guitar and really focused on that more. Like I always liked what he was doing, but holy hell JC is good.

Yeah, I’ve been listening through their discography the last couple weeks and Justin really is a huge driving force. Adam’s guitar work is serviceable enough, but wouldn’t be nearly as interesting without Justin’s bass parts to bounce off of.

I was really into 10,000 Days when it was released, and Lateralus was my favorite album by them for a loooong time. I put Ænima on last night with some good headphones for the first time in at least a decade, and now I’m kind of wishing they’d go back to more “traditional” song structures. Some of the more extended jams would be cool to see live, but on an album kind of disrupt the pacing. I’m a music nerd and the crazy time signatures are cool and all, but I felt they worked better on Ænima; instead of riffs constantly changing meter, you’d have a sporadic moment (like Danny’s insane fill towards the end of 46&2) that throws you for a loop and makes much more of an impact. Maybe it’s just me getting older and my taste in music changing, but sometimes it seems like they’re more focused on writing extended jams in bizarre time signatures than writing good songs.

That being said, Pneuma is one of my favorite things they’ve ever done and trying to figure out the time signature of the main riff is driving me nuts.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Jerome is a weird loving town and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Skitz posted:

So Maynard's just hot-footing it off stage before the show's even over now? The gently caress is this poo poo?(Skip to 10:30)
https://youtu.be/QcZPosboRqQ

It’s not like he just ran off, he made a show of waving at the fans and poo poo. Dude doesn’t seem to like being in the spotlight, I think it makes sense for him to peace out and let the rest of the band finish the song.

Maynard has stated in interviews that working together with the band is hard for him, because they tend to take every idea they come up with and take it down every avenue possible, and he gets frustrated because that’s not how he works. I totally understand, I’ve played in bands for a while and you definitely have to find a writing process that works for everyone, otherwise a lot of tension and resentment can build up. Tool definitely seems like it’s his lowest priority but I think some of the criticism he gets is a little harsh.

I’m going to see them in Phoenix tomorrow for my... sixth time I think? I’m pretty stoked.