Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

my bony fealty posted:

my most recent experience with Tool was trying to stay polite while my girlfriends 40-something redneck uncle explained how Lateralus follows the fibonacci sequence and how 46&2 is about evolution and isn't that fuckin mindblowing, man, and isn't Tool really the Pink Floyd of our time?

I'd say Radiohead is probably more the Pink Floyd of the time.

Nail Rat posted:

Tracklist is out, and the main 75 minute album is just the seven actual tracks. The interludes are bonus tracks that come with the download from the physical release.

Wait, the bonuses are interludes? I hadn't seen that anywhere. Interesting. I guess that explains a bit on why they didn't go with two discs for the physical release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

hughesta posted:

Not really much choice if they didn't have room on the CD. The interludes will be on the digital copies of the album and the CDs will include a download code for them, so this seems like a decision made out of necessity.

Bands have never done double disc albums before. Never. No choice at all here. Oh well.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

somnambulist posted:

How is that any better? Stopping a playthrough, switching discs, to listen to 3 more tracks?

They could put the break anywhere. People have been listening to music with slight breaks for a long time. It’s how vinyl works. Why is not including them at all a better solution?

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

I was pretty excited for the album but honestly I'm a bit disappointed. The tracks are good, but overall each song feels like it covers the same ground. It's buildup based song after buildup based song, so the album kinda feels start and stop and a bit stuck in the mud. The payoff is never quite as good as some old material, too, either with riffs or vocals or whatever. So it feels more like going up a hill rather than a mountain most of the time. That feeling is also probably because all the tracks are that similar vibe and the album never breaks out of it.

I've listened to it like 8 or 9 times and I feel like I still can barely differentiate some tracks whereas one listen of 10,000 and everything separated.

Maynard's vocal hooks just don't seem as memorable. He takes a bit of a back seat, and Adam Jones has always been the weaker link in the band. A lot of riffs feel recycled.

Personally I put it maybe above Undertow but below 10,000 Days, Lateralus, and Aenima. I still like it, but it just lacks variety.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

what the hell, undertow owns

I like the album. It just never resonated with me as much outside a few tracks. At least not compared to the rest of their discography anyway.

But I am a loving weirdo and like 10,000 Days the most. It offers to me the most perfected they've been at their sound as well as an emotional heft not really present on a lot of their albums. The title track is the best thing they've done and Vicarious/Right in Two are not far behind.