Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Certainly is a Tool song. They've refined an unmistakable sound for themselves. Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Trent Reznor has also refined his unique sound, but his stuff is also more varied. Tool is less varied, but they have honed their craft to a t. This new track sounds a lot like Reflection (Lateralus is IMO their peak album, with Aenima a close second), and I wonder if that's why they released it as the first single to get all the fans salivating (no doubt, most of them would buy anything from them after 13 years).

Used to be a huge Tool fan in high school (I guess that's most fans were) and moved away from them over the years, occasionally listening to an album or a track here and there but last decade or so much less so. The favourite tracks still rock as they did before, because they are drat fine compositions no matter how you slice and dice them or how old you are or how your music preferences have changed.
Will probably get the the standard CD without all the ridiculous bells and whistles of the limited edition. Vinyl version also possible if it looks and sounds nice (I am guessing it's also coming).

Considering that these guys have honed their craft for three decades, the album will certainly be good at the least, however I am fairly certain it will not be brilliant like some of their previous albums. A solid Tool album is certain and I am fine with it. They're just a great band among many others, my teenage self might not have agreed with it, but that's how I feel about it. No doubt it will be in heavy rotation once it's out for a little while before I move on to the stuff I currently prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I was curious how they could fit 85 minutes of material on one CD, but apparently it's quite possible with CDs clocking in at 86+ minutes. The more you know. I know it's going to be wonky on my player since it struggles with CDs that are pushing 80 minutes. DVD/BR players ought to be OK. Not that it really matters will rip that disc anyways.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

A Big... Dog posted:

Is it just my FLAC -> 320 encode, or is there some crispy Zwan-style clipping all over this?

tool have had clipping issues since barresi got involved. shame, really. that's what put me off 10k days.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

it's mixed too loudly so it clips which causes distortion and at least my ears get fatigued. i really hope they remaster the last two albums with no clipping

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

It's more about the music and less about the people performing it with Tool. I think remember hearing from MJK that being in the back allows him to hear his monitors better and he can also see the others from the band and communicate better with them when performing.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I rarely go to big name concerts, but is the standard price for floor tickets nowadays 100+ euro? Back in 2006 when I paid 50+ euros for floor tickets. It's inflation isnt't it? Unfortunately the nearest they will come is a ferry ride away and it's already soldout but the tickets for floor was 130 euros without fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

If someone missed Rick Beato interviewed Danny Carey recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ErsWJw28XU
Carey was also featured on Modern Drummer rig rundown and Justin on Premier Guitars rig rundown.