Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

angrygodofjebus posted:

After listening to this 6 or 7 times I definitely have it waaaay above 10,000 Days. Wings for Marie is an 18 minute slog and after Rosetta Stoned you might as well turn it off.

I really like 10,000Days/Wings, but otherwise I'm with ya in that I pretty much always tune out after Rosetta Stoned, because "But I forgot my pen" is the best moment in Tool's catalogue. That poo poo just soars, and I'm done after that. I loved Right in Two at first, but I kinda can't stand it now, so I'm certainly not gonna sit through Intension for it (or skip to it). That said, some of my favorite Tool stuff is on 10,000 Days. Vicarious-through-RS is a pretty amazing five-song run.

Also, Pneuma loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

One thing that will take getting used to is Maynard’s absence. So many classic Tool songs lean on him heavily for their emotional climax (try to imagine 46&2 without “46&2 is just ahead of me...” or Pushit without “there will be no other way” or Schism without “between supposed brothers...” or The Patient without it’s vocal harmony or the aforementioned Rosetta Stoned”). I think that lack of vocal narrative is what is driving some people to call this album more “jam band”-esque... it’s not clear that the vocals are taking you on a journey. You have to rely more on the instrumentation to do that on this album.
Yeah, there's really not much remarkable lyrically or vocally on this album, but for the most part I think what Maynard's doing here works pretty well (except for that "psychopathy" bit, which kinda irritates me too). Even though I'm liking it all, it is weird how he's just gone for some pretty long stretches, and I think in doing that, he really missed out on some opportunities. The back half of Descending, in particular, could've really been something special if he'd been right there with the band riding out that climax. Still great, but not what it could've been.
But honestly, given what he's doing on the rest of the album, I'm not sure he would've been up for it. His vocal style is totally different now. I'm not a vocal coach or a singer or anything, so forgive me if my terminology's all off, but you can tell he's rolling a lot of words around in his mouth instead of pushing them up from his diaphragm (think the do in "all that I'm to do" in Fear Inoculum, which is so front and rounded it just sounds strange). We're also not getting quite the pathos and anger we've gotten from him in the past, which, fine, we're all thirteen years older here, but still, it's a part of the equation that's missing.

Do I sound like an "absolute tosser" yet? 'Cause I could certainly go on.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

You're right, that's a really good run.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

vandalism posted:

...long songs for the sake of long songs.... Nothing hit me like lateralus, jambi, schism. I dunno boys.

Fair enough, but I will say that Pneuma absolutely kicked me right in the drat face straight away. I love that song. (But if you were to say it could be like two minutes shorter I wouldn't argue.)

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

God help me, I'm actually doing a fan edit of this loving album.

I was thinking of doing the same.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Did anyone else see them on the first Lateralus tour? I remember it so vividly because of how formative it was for me in my early adolescence. One thing I’m not sure if I’m making up though- did they bring out two acrobats in the schism makeup to hang from the ceiling and swing around? I remember it like it was a dream.

poo poo, it was formative for me and I was in my mid-twenties! That was quite handily the best show I've ever seen, period. It was late October in Phoenix, so it was just beautiful out; it was at Desert Sky, which is a pretty fantastic outdoor venue for big concerts; they had a local high school drumline come out and do a couple covers before the show, which was awesome (Shadow Mountain HS, I think, but I could be wrong. I don't recall exactly what the situation was, but I think maybe Danny or Adam had a nephew that went there or something like that? I kinda know a guy who was in it, but I forget what he told me); plus that was peak, like, "Tool" as a cohesive multimedia aesthetic, not just a band, and I was all in on it, so it was all pretty mind-blowing. Plus, on top of all that, it was close enough on the heels of 9/11 that it was such a goddamn cathartic experience. One of the warmest things I've ever felt was at the end of the show, when they gathered midstage for their group hug (do they still do that?) and all the stage lights got turned back on the audience, like a big "no, thank you." Not saying that was unique to that show, but it really did feel like a special night. I was also high as poo poo, so that helped.

Anyway, I got my Iron Maiden ticket this morning and I'm waaaay up in the nosebleeds 'cause I have a real problem paying more than 50 bucks (minus fees) for a concert anymore. Which makes me a little nervous about my Tool ticket, because my buddy was in charge of getting those, and he went lower bowl, straightaway center. I haven't even asked what I owe him yet. :homebrew:

Edit: Oh yeah, and Tricky opened and he came back out to help on Reflection and it was bizarrely amazing. According to some of the old reviews over on TDN, he also chipped in on Opiate and Triad, but I only remember him being out there for Reflection.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 7, 2019

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

Just listened to Jambi with my girl this eve, and...I know why I had totally forgotten it...it's ok but it's nothing like the whole of Lateralus or before that. Gonna give 10k days another go soon, but I have a feeling it was just not very good.

Honestly - and I know I'm in the minority here - 10k is usually my go-to when I'm in a Tool mood. I just find it to be a good cross-section of what I enjoy about them, and it has a good amount of variety. Vicarious doesn't sound like Jambi doesn't sound like Wings doesn't sound like The Pot and certainly none of them sound like Rosetta Stoned.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Yeah, guys, but we're def not those Tool fans, right? Right??
poo poo.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

The glitter thing was, I believe, on the second leg of the Lateralus tour. I'm pretty sure they used it when they came back around to AZ (this time Tucson) in...I wanna say 2002? And I know for sure they used it at Radio City in 2003, because I leaned over to my friend and said something like, "All that glitter's made out of the drummer's old kit." Yeah, I didn't buy the decoy thing with the 10,000 Days leak, but I've certainly bought into my fair share of silly Tool poo poo in my time. Also, did you know Danny records his drum parts in rooms pumped full of helium because it's thinner than oxygen and really captures the dynamics he's looking for?

And yeah, ticket buying sucks rear end now. The fact that Ticketmaster allows "verified resellers" to gobble up tickets and then come back in and fleece their customers for two, three, four times the original price is disgusting.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Listerine posted:

Lots of little weird places like that in Arizona, I hope to move back in retirement. Not sure if I'd want to commit to Jerome 24/7 though.

You certainly wouldn't have to. You could go full snowbird and just chase good weather around Arizona year-round and see enough cool poo poo and neat history to last you a long, long time. People largely aside, it really is a pretty spectacular state. As you obviously know.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

They do encores now? When did that start? I've seen them do intermissions, but I don't think I've ever seen them do an actual encore. Am I crazy? It's been a while. I guess if they're printing lyrics in the CD booklet now, all the old rules are out the window, eh?

Grudgerm posted:

I feel weird about saying this but I don’t think Tool has progressed much since Lateralus.
I think you're wrong, but that's ok, I totally get why you'd say that. There are definitely bits - or whole stretches, even - of each song on FI that you could put on Lateralus and they'd fit right in, but I think that's mostly confined to the middle sections, the breakdown/buildup/jam-session-y stuff. Mostly. A couple of them you could lift wholesale.

Also, I noticed that Norman McLaren's "Pas de deux" (this version, specifically) and Descending are the same length, so I did a mash-em-up and it works...surprisingly well...I think, but I don't want to put it up on YouTube and run afoul of any copyright poo poo, so just do what you gotta do to sync both those things up in a browser or on two separate devices or whatever and start them both at 00:00.
It's not perfect, of course, but it has some pretty nice congruencies in specific moments and in the overall progression and flow. My favorite moments are the bass line kicking in at 05:34 and the "ch-k-tchhh" at 08:39.
Enjoy. Or don't. Whatever.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 17, 2019

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

So Maynard's just hot-footing it off stage before the show's even over now? The gently caress is this poo poo?(Skip to 10:30)
https://youtu.be/QcZPosboRqQ

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Sure, but apparently he's the guy who clocks out at 4:58 while the other guys are still cleaning up.
I actually don't much care about the lack of crowd engagement - I've long defended his decision to stay out of the spotlight on stage - but grabbing the jacket and running off before the song's finished...that's pretty wack. Whatever, maybe it was a one-time thing and he just had to piss. What the hell do I know.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Yarbald posted:

I’m going to see them in Phoenix tomorrow for my... sixth time I think? I’m pretty stoked.

Cool beans, see ya there.
And I still say that was a lame move.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

It's a good show, y'all. If you're on the fence and you still have the opportunity, just go. It's not like the old days, but it's still very, very good.
Adam even sauntered all the way over to stage left to play next to Justin at one point! :monocle:

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

IUG posted:

That sounds like the opposite of excellent.

He did the same stuff in Phoenix and it was just mischievously impish enough to be enjoyable. He seemed to be in good spirits and having fun, for whatever that's worth.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Honestly can’t get enough this excessively-long Pneuma reaction video.

https://youtu.be/-23__zILRgc

These guys have some pretty good videos and are pretty entertaining.

Good video. And honestly pretty refreshing. It's nice every once in a while to take a step back from your super-fandom and all the nitpicky criticism that entails (a point these guys kinda touch on) and get a different perspective, get reminded what it is about the thing that brought you joy in the first place. Not to get all sappy (too late) but I just adore this band. They've meant things to me. Different things at different points in my life. I leaned on them pretty heavily when I was going through some kinda rough poo poo in my late twenties, and I can't imagine any other band that would've been there for me in the same way and done what I needed them to do quite like Tool. They lifted me up. Which is not to say that I was on suicide watch or anything, but I found solace in them, inspiration even, and they're comforting to me in a way no other music is. Whatever my mood, whatever I need in a given moment, those four dudes can provide. I really do love them.

Right In Two still sucks though.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 7, 2019

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

New 2020 tour dates announced:

quote:

Jan. 10 - San Diego, Calif. @ Viejas Arena
Jan. 12 - San Diego, Calif. @ Viejas Arena
Jan. 15 - Fresno, Calif. @ Save Mart Center
Jan. 17 - Las Vegas, Nev. @ T-Mobile Arena
Jan. 18 - Glendale, Ariz. @ Gila River Arena
Jan. 21 - Austin, Texas @ Frank Erwin Center
Jan. 22 - Dallas, Texas @ American Airlines Arena
Jan. 28 - Atlanta, Ga. @ State Farm Arena
Jan. 29 - Nashville, Tenn. @ Bridgestone Arena
Jan. 31 - Memphis, Tenn. @ FedEx Forum
Feb. 01 - New Orleans, La. @ Smoothie King Center
https://loudwire.com/tool-2020-tour-dates/

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

echinopsis posted:

They're going to come to New Zealand.. and only play Auckland :qq:

They came to Christchurch for Lateralus. Oh well

What, they're traveling halfway around the world for you and you can't go a little - [actually looks at map of NZ] - oh, ok, never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Maaan, I've gotten so used to them just trotting out the same setlist on a tour's second leg as they did on the first - with some relatively minor tweaks - that I wasn't all that concerned about missing them this time around. Now I wish I'd been a little more proactive. Oh well, had to work anyway. Whaddaya gonna do.
Here's Phoenix, according to setlist.fm. I'm not nuts about the post-intermission segment, but everything else, holy poo poo.