Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A bunch of cool moments spread amongst it, but none of them big enough to sit thru the rest IMO. I’m too old to sit thru long extended intros, especially if they’re more “odd noise” based, I mean they aren’t making the next Shine on you crazy diamond are they. Adam Jones is their anchor I suspect.

The drums sound amazing to be fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone, when reading the about the full album package, get a real consumer wasteland vibe? Not that the rest of the world isn’t trash but imagine if a band with as much potential influence as these males decided to go down a less gimmicky-electronics route, and maybe even do something potentially environmentally aware?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kanonvandekempen posted:

They have released the title track and it sure sounds like more Tool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7DfQMPmJRI

I guess the die hard fans will be happy, but to me it sounds predictable.
EDIT: for the record, I think Tool hit its creative peak on AEnima and I loved Lateralus

Æenima was something that sounded like the devil himself concocted, the unity of vision amongst the band was incredible and it was like songs were conceived as whole units rather than starting with a riff or whatever.

After Lateralus I was convinced Adam Jones was actually being held back by his lack of ability. The looks I would get from other Tool fans when I would suggest this was crazy lol, because I was the biggest tool fan in my late teens and still love some of their stuff, but being critical of anything about this band goes down so poorly. I don’t know of many more bands that fans have such an emotional response to criticism. The reddit thread on this new song is such an exercise in stockholm syndrome.

The best thing possible would be for Tool to come out a week later and say “we made
that song as a joke, with bad sounds, on purpose, to weed out those who think for themselves taste wise in music, and those who thing whatever farts we pump out smell like royal assholes”. I wish

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

an environmental nightmare

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

First impression of title track: it’s like a computer algorithm was fed every Tool album and generated this. 10 minutes long for no reason, just plods along with nothing to justify its length.

yeah, after the second chorus it’s a bit of a mess. like multiple sections that aren’t coherent.: and the time changes are awkward rather than interesting

i was listening to eulogy the other day, and the contrast as far as a long song with long buildup was interesting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my bony fealty posted:

isn't Tool really the Pink Floyd of our time?

Pink Floyd released DSOTM, WYWH, The wall, and Animals in like a 6-7 year period

tool takes 13 years to take one long poo poo.

no matter what tool does it never ever compare to the wall

I would love to see them drop their pretence and embrace synthesisers and try to make encompassing music rather than rigid faux-metal

I’ll still enjoy it but it could be so much more 🤷‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think I heard an actual guitar harmony somewhere.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
7empest really reminds me of Undertow which is good because I a huge fondness for that album and the sound on it. Like real palm muted riffs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yarbald posted:

Jesus, what an insufferable prick. He did a nice job of summing up everything I hate about Tool’s fan base.

wide fonts are coming back huh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a shame really coz i do like songs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's heavy parts, but for example, nothing compares to the heavy parts in undertow (the song not the album), because on this album, the heaviness isn't often accompanied by a solid groove.

I remember when I first listened to lateralus, that time change (from 4/4 to 6/8 or whatever it was) I was like "jesus this is cool".. whereas this album there isn't really anything that I am like "this is cool", and I feel compelled to listen to it more out of duty to my prior love of tool rather than because anything on this album grabs me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard to accept they spent so long making a song that sounds like a jam session tho. Like the solo is very long and OK, he's no David Gilmour, and feels structureless. Even songs like Third Eye feel much more structured despite being all over the place.. To me anyway. Maybe I need to get stoned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I remember the guitar hero rip being extremely popular on what.cd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I still hate that Aenima the album requires skipping almost every second track

Eulogy is the only even numbered track on the album that's a song

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

what the hell, undertow owns

gently caress yes I just listened to that song. It's genius.

I am starting to like it more and I can appreciate the album more.. but I think it's going to be like "the endless river" by Pink Floyd to me, as in, I enjoyed it, but I can't see myself listening to it after September.

Almost nothing memorable. Amazing buildups that don't go anywhere. The sound production is incredible though.

Nail Rat posted:

WTF Right In Two owns.

That's the thing though, everyone has their own opinion. I think a large portion of the fanbase thinks everything after Aenima sucks (as evidenced in this very thread).
Aenima has the best songs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Their best song is Opiate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

That's a funny way to spell H

when I first heard that song, I had been playing guitar for a year or so, and there’s a very gentle part in the song (sure you know what I mean) and I was so dumbfounded and desperate to learn how to play it. I love that song but haven’t actually listened in years

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my bony fealty posted:

yep that's the part, "the walls come down..." is where I always just go shiiittt

Yep

Aenima is such a good song too, such a good example of different sounds in one song but still sounding coherent

Same with Third Eye, somehow it works

And Forty Six & 2 pretty much created a new genre

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Whitey posted:

How do you mean

eh maybe it just feels like it to me, but it really feels like that song was an utterly new sound, and it feels like music that used the kind of scales that song does only really appeared after that album.

🤷‍♂️ don’t take my amateur opinion too seriously I’m sure someone with a wider knowledge of music will shoot me down 😒

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

like 95% of their songs it's in d minor but uses the minor 2nd (d#) in the main riff to add tension

yeah, korn also uses the minor 2nd all the fuckin time, and both were doing it around the same time. I don’t doubt it’s unoriginal

if there’s one thing adam does well it’s feedback. it’s like satan is inhabiting his guitar.

i’m gonna take acid with gf tonight and i’m
sure we will listen to one new song but i’m
not sure which to pick. she doesn’t really love tool so I don’t want to be obnoxious and subject her to lots of music she doesn’t love so i’m wondering what would be the best song on the new album for this. opinions?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Awesome, thanks.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s on spotify with more tracks than the leak. i haven’t listened to them to see what they are yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh i just skipped thru them and it’s trashy weird ambient poo poo wtf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, you only have to go back and listen to an older tool song to be like "this is the coherency I enjoy"

A fantasy part of my brain has them releasing a far more straightforward hard rock/metal album in a couple years. It would also be fun.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

A straightforward rock record full of five minute songs would be refreshing as hell.

gently caress yeah. They’ve explored this hole long enough. There’s enough talent in this band to make some very very good SONGS

I mean a sign of maturity is growing up.

Can we have “The Division Bell” of Tool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nutsak posted:

I think Descending is the most important song on the album that no one will pay attention to. The message ends 7 minutes in and then it's nothing but a glorious rise after that. 10 minutes 30 is when people should be playing it on the best speakers they have at a volume that gets the cops called on them. It's by far my favourite track on this album and I really hope they do a video for it.

But gently caress the vocals at the start jesus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He’s the worst part of the new album

honestly they should replace him with synthesiser dude

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skitz posted:

Adam even sauntered all the way over to stage left to play next to Justin at one point! :monocle:

what the gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're going to come to New Zealand.. and only play Auckland :qq:

They came to Christchurch for Lateralus. Oh well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

Pretty sure it was just auckland last time as well. Can't decide if I want to commit to it or not...

I saw them in Christchurch in early 2000s for Lateralus. Not sure if they've come since

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

il_cornuto posted:

I think the grungyness sounded better than the more polished stuff though. They've never sounded better than on Aenima IMO, even just from a textural point of view.

Maybe, I was listening to reflection recently and thinking about how good the textures are. I'm not sure how it took me so long to pick up on it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just do it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk man I really like riffs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like 2 of the songs on the album but it totally reignighted a fire a for tool for me. I was such a massive fan from 1996 when my dad got me aneima and i was 15 and they were the biggest band in my teenage years, but by the time 10,000 days came out I was in a different place so there is a lot of discovering that music of my youth and realising that I never had a clue of how genius the style a lot of it was. I used to think Adam Jones was an average guitarist, and he is, but the amount of texture he adds to the music is not something I ever noticed when I was younger. Going back and listening to "flood" and being able to nail every beat in my air guitar was a trip considering I'd never really listened to it since I was like 21. When I first heard opiate it had this sound that I still cant put my finger on that is unique to that song, but it never loses it either, it still has that unique sound now. And nowadays I prefer the heavy ending much more than I used to. Watching Pneuma played live is a trip.

Opiate is worth a listen. I used to listen to it a ton when I was 15-17 so I know a lot of it so well.

Undertow is pretty solid, a decent chunk is average but not really bad. Some of it is sooo good, Undertow itself is a such a great example of everything the band does well.

Aenima is still so good. It barely sounds dated, the production is good, the guitars sound good, the vocals are amazing. The variety on that album given the quality. It's good
It's the best too

Lateralus is a lot of a good thing with some amazing moments. untasteful aspects coming in

10,000 days has a few cool very cool moments and a lot of not so great moments.

Fear Inoculujism is such a loving stupid name. It's like "the endless river" by Pink Floyd. it's listenable and even good to listen to but I never really feel like cranking any part of it. 7emptest is kinda lame. People are like "riff of old", but it smore like, the riffs not good enough for old. It's forgettable.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think of most Tool songs as existing primarily as something to listen to while on ketamine, and sounding good sober is second thought that often but not always works.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

absolutely no "noise" (no interludes of pick scraping, feedback etc) just riff after riff after riff.

A shame, because like I mentioned earlier, it was Adams ability to create texture rather than riffs that was so great about some of their earlier things.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the danny carey firth drums video of pneuma is sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I believe a lot of the 10 years was lost to legal issues?

Regardless, use it all as an excuse to listen to Aenima

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Perfect Element posted:

Absolutely the best thing to come out of Fear Inoculum's release was all their back catalogue being made available on streaming services. I listen to their pre-FI stuff virtually every day now, whereas I hadn't listened to it for years before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pneuma continues to be the only song on FI that’s still on rotation