Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

First listen I feel like it has a few good tracks - Pneuma and Invincible might stand with the best of their post-Aenima material- but is overall even weaker than 10,000 Days, which was itself weaker than Lateralus, which was quite a bit weaker than Aenima. I'm glad it wasn't totally forgettable, and I'll give it a few more listens, but even as someone who still listens to and loves a lot of 10 minute long songs, they really meander a lot on the second half of the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The title track is easily the best thing about 10,000 days. They might be known for playing with time signatures and being an "intellectual" band but Tool have always been at their best when some emotion comes through IMO, which is probably why I like Aenima the best. 10,000 days actually being about something personal instead of philisophical musings on the failings of mankind makes it hit a lot harder.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think the grungyness sounded better than the more polished stuff though. They've never sounded better than on Aenima IMO, even just from a textural point of view.