Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

What is Ion Fury?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnhRz_GP3c

Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden because spurious lawsuits are totally metal guys) is a throwback 90’s style FPS just like DUSK and AMID EVIL but unlike both of those games which were inspired by ID Software games like Doom, Quake, and Heretic, Ion Fury is a Build Engine throwback that’s even made in Build, the first in twenty years, with 3D Realms even publishing. The game stars Shelly “Bombshell” Harris, who you probably don’t remember from that one mediocre game with her name on it a few years back, who has to wage a one-woman war against Dr. Heskel, a mad scientist, who has launched an attack on Neo Washington DC with his army of cyborg cultists. The game has been in EA for a year or so and it will be fully released on PC on August 15.

So how is it?

When it comes to DUSK, AMID EVIL, and Ion Fury if Ion Fury maintains the quality of the EA content in its full release it will be probably be my favorite of the three, and DUSK and AMID EVIL were both varying degrees of fantastic. The gunplay feels great with a varied arsenal of weapons that are all useful, even your basic melee weapon, the stun baton, is actually quite powerful. The level design is also top notch with multiples avenues to go through levels with none of the obtuseness that sometimes plagued Build Engine games and with bunches of secrets hidden away. The enemy variety is nice and unlike its Build Engine predecessors Ion Fury has zero hit scanners so far. The game just looks really nice too. It’s telling to me that I had just planned to play through the EA content once when I bought the game like a month ago and just wait for the full release but it just kept pulling me back in until I beat the first campaign and bonus level on Hard and Very Hard, which I don’t do very often. The difficulty is done real well really. Keep an eye on this game if you haven't already, because its shaping up to be fantastic and here's hoping it delivers.

Useful Links

Main Site
Steam Page
GOG Page

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Early access game is really good, looking forward to full release. Still worried about the arsenal though, lots of redundancy and nothing really pops.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yeah, agree for the most part. You look at the arsenal of the other Build games and adjacent games like Half Life and even further back to Doom, each weapon feels unique and has a specific role. In IF, there's not much reason to use the crossbow when the pistol does its job just fine. You get dual SMGs and a minigun, which both just spit bullets real fast. There's grenades, the bowling bombs, and the launch trailer shows off proximity mines. Might as well just use the bowling bombs, especially since they home in. I'm pretty positive its gonna be a great game, and the level design + pacing is going to make up for the shortcomings, but its a bummer that the toys you use don't seem to have all that much of a unique identity.

Also I complained about it before and I'm gonna do it again; the decision to have the SMGs shoot fire bullets or whatever is baffling. You get this stupid looking fire sprite that hits enemies and them plops to the ground along with a sizzle sound effect, but it plays on every impact, so its a total earsore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This has a lot of potential. The sheer number of interact-able sprite objects and the length of the campaign (supposed to be ~9+ hours) makes it sound like its gonna be a blast

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
If most levels are comparable to the demo map this should be seriously fantastic.

gently caress Iron Maiden.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I just assume it's their legal team doing their own thing, and that the band doesn't even know or care this game exists.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully because it's already released technically, it'll get patched at a real time tomorrow and I can play it and not at 6pm when the store updates and I'm busy as hell.

Also yes gently caress Iron Maiden

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Reviews are coming out. RPS gave it to a 20 year old who spent the whole article complaining he got lost, Destructoid gave it an 8.0, IGN a 7.5

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah get a kid who plays hours on hours of DOTA to review an FPS made in an engine older than he is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Reviews are coming out. RPS gave it to a 20 year old who spent the whole article complaining he got lost, Destructoid gave it an 8.0, IGN a 7.5

Even forgetting RPS review (lol he isn't able to open the automap), reading IGN review I have to wonder something:

Why reviewers masturbate so much about From Software games, writing big block of texts about the pleasure of getting good slowly and learning the patterns of bosses through grueling tries, about the dangers of the environment and how rewarding it's to overcome the odds, but when it's a hard game from a non-popular series, in another genre, the difficulty is suddenly again an issue??

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 14, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

Remember when RPS was good?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Why reviewers masturbate so much about From Software games, writing big block of texts about the pleasure of getting good slowly and learning the patterns of bosses through grueling, about the dangers of the environment and how rewarding it's to overcome the odds, but when it's a hard game from a non-popular series, in another genre, the difficulty is suddenly again an issue??

Game journalists generally suck at games. I assure you most of them bounced off dark souls and didn't get into it until it was massively popular, and then they pretended to always like it.

Some people spend more time writing about games than playing games, and that creates weird attitudes. See star citizen lol.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pro-tip: don't select the equivalent of ultra violence of a retro shooter then complain how hard it is.
Although the complaint of not being to change it mid campaign is valid.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Some game journos don't seem to get games that are outside of the traditional modern AAA game bubble too.

Have LGR's review

Also Game Informer gave it a 9 and Eurogamer recommended it for a few more reviews.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh wow, I googled RPS Ion Maiden and read Walker's impression, and I was like, this isn't bad?

But I was confused, Walker isn't that young...

OH. ohhhh.

Goddamn that article is a train wreck. "Polygon plays doom" all over again.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ultra Viscera in Ion Fury isn’t even that bad? Maybe it’s just ‘cause I’ve played the demo a thousand times but it really isn’t anything like the old Build engine game equivalents

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A 9.0 from Game Revolution too.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 14, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LGR's review is non stop praise and I trust him way more on classic games

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

Game journalists generally suck at games. I assure you most of them bounced off dark souls and didn't get into it until it was massively popular, and then they pretended to always like it.

Dark Souls is 89 on metacritic. So was Demon Souls

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Ultra Viscera in Ion Fury isn’t even that bad? Maybe it’s just ‘cause I’ve played the demo a thousand times but it really isn’t anything like the old Build engine game equivalents
Yeah, unless they really changed it up, the higher difficulties really aren't bad at all and I liked playing through them, and I'm the kind of person who doesn't play or like games for challenge at all.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Unlucky7 posted:

Out of curiosity I checked reviews for Dark Souls.

Destructoid gave it 70 lol. (The remaster got 90)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

...and? That changes nothing about what I said.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

...and? That changes nothing about what I said.

So game reviewers have the power of time travel to replace their bad reviews with glowing ones?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

So game reviewers have the power of time travel to replace their bad reviews with glowing ones?

That value is an average and in now way tells us who reviewed it when.

Its pretty likely only a few sites reviewed demon souls, then a few more did after it became popular.

Also, because "IGN" reviewed dark souls, that doesn't mean they actually beat it, and even then, would only mean a single member of staff did and says nothing to all the other reviewers.

Should we keep going?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

That value is an average and in now way tells us who reviewed it when.

Its pretty likely only a few sites reviewed demon souls, then a few more did after it became popular.

Also, because "IGN" reviewed dark souls, that doesn't mean they actually beat it, and even then, would only mean a single member of staff did and says nothing to all the other reviewers.

Should we keep going?

No we don't

Cause this is stupid and so are you

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Out of curiosity I checked reviews for Dark Souls.

Destructoid gave it 70 lol. (The remaster got 90)

Lol. A case of giving what it was an obscure, non-AAA game at the time a 70, and when it later was a popular, appreciated by other critics and hardcore audience a 90. Gotta fit in, gotta give the audience what it wants.

Mind you, I'm not a a stoopid gamer claiming how 'game journalists are the worst because they aren't objective'. Reviews are basically substantiated opinions and they can't be objective, that much is clear. But even looking at the same reviewer there is lack of... consistency of what's good and what's bad, depending of the genre, the expectations, etc.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
this game looks loving awesome.

Also, the fact that all the 3D items in the game are made with VOXELS (not polygons) in order to cheat the build engine blows my mind. what an awesome way to make 3D pixel art.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dominic Tarson (the person who should have reviewed it on RPS, but he was let go a few weeks ago) liked it a lot:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1161640842039353345
https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1161655958403260416

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Turin Turambar posted:

Dominic Tarson (the person who should have reviewed it on RPS, but he was let go a few weeks ago) liked it a lot:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1161640842039353345
https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1161655958403260416

Really a shame they did not hold onto him. If nothing else he did turn me onto some good obscure games.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol. A case of giving what it was an obscure, non-AAA game at the time a 70, and when it later was a popular, appreciated by other critics and hardcore audience a 90. Gotta fit in, gotta give the audience what it wants.

Mind you, I'm not a a stoopid gamer claiming how 'game journalists are the worst because they aren't objective'. Reviews are basically substantiated opinions and they can't be objective, that much is clear. But even looking at the same reviewer there is lack of... consistency of what's good and what's bad, depending of the genre, the expectations, etc.

numerical scores are pointless and misleading, news at 11

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I usually defend Polygon and more academic games criticism... but holy poo poo is that Rock Paper Shotgun article awful. I can't even blame the kid so much as the editor who thought that was a good match. A literal what the gently caress?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Some people spend more time writing about games than playing games, and that creates weird attitudes. See star citizen lol.

I always get the same feeling about Silent Hill 2 where half the people who praise it are superfans who believe it's perfect and can never be criticized for anything, and the other half are people who never played it but just want to be in on the hype as you can see them bang on and on about it but never seem to be able to recall any specifics of the game.

I can also forgive tepid Dark Souls 1 reviews. I remember a lot of people bouncing off that game in the early days, and it's completely understandable. I did, but eventually came back to love the series. To people who only went off the hype and tried it out, it could be hard to find the critical path, the magic system was pretty impenetrable compared to what people could be used to, you didn't know if some of the stats were even useful or not, etc. And even if you went through the game without much problem, sections of the game were busted like that spot in I think Demon Ruins where there were 18 dinosaurs in a giant lava room that would all aggro instantly and destroy you. I think a lot of people forgot that they didn't complete their first Souls game without seeing guides or videos first.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 14, 2019

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Lots of reviews and videos saying the Ultra Viscera difficulty is really hard and I wonder if they changed it from the early access because thats what I played it on and it wasn't that bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Overbite posted:

Lots of reviews and videos saying the Ultra Viscera difficulty is really hard and I wonder if they changed it from the early access because thats what I played it on and it wasn't that bad.

Some people complained you can't change difficulty, which makes it sound like they actually got decently far in before they started to sweat. It makes sense if the bit available to play is the beginning, that's relatively the easiest part of the game.

I just went ahead and pre-ordered since this is basically out tonight, and I'm playing the early access bit now on UV and its giving me some trouble here and there. I'm not super good at Duke or anything though.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

Ion Fury has zero hit scanners so far

this is completely unexpected and woah, really? there are no hitscan enemies whatsoever?

either way, I'm picking this up immediately

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does Dominic still post around here?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Ion Fury has no hitscanners Im ready to declare it the greatest Build Engine game ever made without a single other fact.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Victory Position posted:

this is completely unexpected and woah, really? there are no hitscan enemies whatsoever?

either way, I'm picking this up immediately
In the EA content at least, but I doubt that will change for the full game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Barudak posted:

If Ion Fury has no hitscanners Im ready to declare it the greatest Build Engine game ever made without a single other fact.

Fuckin same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Plan Z posted:

I can also forgive tepid Dark Souls 1 reviews. I remember a lot of people bouncing off that game in the early days, and it's completely understandable. I did, but eventually came back to love the series. To people who only went off the hype and tried it out, it could be hard to find the critical path, the magic system was pretty impenetrable compared to what people could be used to, you didn't know if some of the stats were even useful or not, etc. And even if you went through the game without much problem, sections of the game were busted like that spot in I think Demon Ruins where there were 18 dinosaurs in a giant lava room that would all aggro instantly and destroy you. I think a lot of people forgot that they didn't complete their first Souls game without seeing guides or videos first.

Plus when the game first came out the early game was insanely brutal. They patched it to make it much more forgiving and reasonable a few months after it was released. I can totally understand people bouncing off it in that state. Though ironically as RPS I remember maybe around when Bloodborne dropped (?) they published an article about how FromSoftware should NEVER compromise by patching or otherwise altering their difficulty of their games post-release because that would destroy the artistic vision of their games flawlessly presented as is. That made me laugh because I thought RPS only really covered PC stuff in which case they only ever played the easiest version of the game. All that "Prepare to Die" marketing Namco stuck with really worked lol

Anyway I main popped in here to mention that I am so god drat excited to play Ion Fury. Plus if it has no hit-scan enemies? poo poo yes.