Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Have there been any good new incrementals in the "slowly unfolding RPG" vein? I really liked Idle Loops and Arcanum/Theory of Magic, as a couple examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't get too far into it but this one was making the rounds some days ago

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I whipped through SliderQuest a fortnight ago. I enjoyed my time with it. It does come to a very specific 'story end' well before you could possibly have done all the achievements to get their rewards because they are bonkers unbalanced in a way that only makes sense if you really want to spend several months 100%ing a game with no further narrative and no offline progression.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I really like Incremental Epic Hero but it's more JRPG in that there's a shitload of grinding. Still pretty good tho

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Does anybody know how the hell Dark Upgrades in Ordinal Markup work? I bought them instead of the Collapse upgrade that makes tier 1 autoclickers boost each other because I expected them to be more powerful and I feel like I've been had.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Does anybody know how the hell Dark Upgrades in Ordinal Markup work? I bought them instead of the Collapse upgrade that makes tier 1 autoclickers boost each other because I expected them to be more powerful and I feel like I've been had.

I'm surprised to hear anyone bought a later collapse upgrade before an earlier one given that they each cost twice as much as the one before, but in short:

You get them by doing challenge 8 runs and reaching new thresholds of decrementy (since decrementy only exists in challenge 8). Note that decrementy isn't actually spent for them (you just need to have the amount listed as the cost and click the button), since that would have weird effects on challenge 8 itself.

The powerful thing you get from them is that their direct boost to automation, plus the dynamic factor cap increase from dark manifolds combined with one of the collapse upgrades, should be large enough that sluggish milestones start to become actually possible even with a relatively small amount of cardinal power - you probably want to tackle them one at a time, though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Challenge 8 makes a lot of sense. I was expecting them to be triggered in challenge 6 because that also has decrementy, but your explanation makes it fit as a targeted SM progression aid. As for how I pulled off the delay, let's just say after a certain point and with a lot of incrementy additional BHOs don't take long even if you need a lot of them (and the number required for additional cardinals slows to 2 extra per point at some point or so it appeared) and I went for about 3 extra Nws worth of points rather than 1. Oh well, that's idle games sometimes. Thanks!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I cannot believe how much having done all five 100 level challenges helps with boosting equipment. Being able to autoconvert boosts without losing tiers is amazingly helpful, like tripling my boost drops when I just need more Special and making everything more flexible. And I'm surprised at how easy those challenges were, too.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Okay, sorry to doublepost, having unlocked Questing should I be actively doing minor quests to grab as much QP as possible upfront or should I idle minor quests while continuing to farm gear and ITOPOD?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
First step for questing is to do one quest in each zone (doesn't matter whether it's major or minor) and merge the quest item up to max level.

If you do feel like actively doing minor quests after that, reroll them until they're in the zone you're farming for gear anyway.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, sorry to doublepost, having unlocked Questing should I be actively doing minor quests to grab as much QP as possible upfront or should I idle minor quests while continuing to farm gear and ITOPOD?

Doing minors actively is... not suggested. For your sanity's sake, more than anything. But yeah, the increase in QP doing minors manually isn't worth completely losing your PP income.

You probably want to do manuals whenever you get a quest you haven't done before (so you can level the quest item to 100), idle minors, and imo even majors are only worth doing manually if you boost them with butter. Most people end up idling majors too.

----------

This touches on something I've wanted to post about, but 4g has patched in a bunch of tools to help manual questing that has made manual questing ALMOST idle, but it takes a combination of three tools (two of which you won't have for a while) to really get things rolling. These tools have slowly been patched in over time since questing was added and I think some players still have manual questing written off as far too tedious for the reward, but these tools allow you to turn large amounts of idle time into manual quest turn-ins.

The first tool you need are the automerge slots in your inventory. The more you have, the better.

Second, you need to get the third-highest tier of the Fibonacci Perk, which I think is realistic sometime in Evil difficulty. This perk causes all quests to require 50 quest item turn-ins instead of 50-60 randomly.

Third, you need all of the "Bonus Handin Progress" Perks and wishes. The last of these are only available in sadistic difficulty. What this one does is it allows combined quest items to provide (level/2) quest items for turn-in purposes. So, if you have a level 100 quest turn-in item, it counts as 50 quest turn-ins. This only really pays off when you have all 4 of the perks/wishes.

Once you have all three of these tools, you can now do manual quests very idle-y. You go to the quest zone long enough to have at least one quest item for each (or most of) your automerge slots. Protect them, or else they'll all merge into the first slot. With that done, you can leave for many hours and the game will combine hundreds of quest drops into those quest items. Each quest item at level 100 is a free major quest turn-in: So you still get long-term benefit from being gone for a long time.

If you're doing this method, definitely don't feel obligated to get ALL autocombine slots filled with level 100 quest items when you check in on it, those are just in case you forget about it or have to leave it be for a long time. Even just two or three at level 100 will give you large rewards when you can play actively. Eventually, you're going to have a whole bunch of leftover quest items from various zones - and you'll be able to rapid-fire turning in major quests with the manual bonus. I've been able to get hundreds of thousands of QP turning in majors with the beast butter this way, and I think it's worth doing if you catch Beast Butter on sale and have extra AP to buy a batch of it, or have a bunch stockpiled from the wheel or something.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't think minor quests are ever worth doing actively over farming in the ITOPOD.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Manyorcas posted:

Doing minors actively is... not suggested. For your sanity's sake, more than anything. But yeah, the increase in QP doing minors manually isn't worth completely losing your PP income.

You probably want to do manuals whenever you get a quest you haven't done before (so you can level the quest item to 100), idle minors, and imo even majors are only worth doing manually if you boost them with butter. Most people end up idling majors too.

----------

This touches on something I've wanted to post about, but 4g has patched in a bunch of tools to help manual questing that has made manual questing ALMOST idle, but it takes a combination of three tools (two of which you won't have for a while) to really get things rolling. These tools have slowly been patched in over time since questing was added and I think some players still have manual questing written off as far too tedious for the reward, but these tools allow you to turn large amounts of idle time into manual quest turn-ins.

The first tool you need are the automerge slots in your inventory. The more you have, the better.

Second, you need to get the third-highest tier of the Fibonacci Perk, which I think is realistic sometime in Evil difficulty. This perk causes all quests to require 50 quest item turn-ins instead of 50-60 randomly.

Third, you need all of the "Bonus Handin Progress" Perks and wishes. The last of these are only available in sadistic difficulty. What this one does is it allows combined quest items to provide (level/2) quest items for turn-in purposes. So, if you have a level 100 quest turn-in item, it counts as 50 quest turn-ins. This only really pays off when you have all 4 of the perks/wishes.

Once you have all three of these tools, you can now do manual quests very idle-y. You go to the quest zone long enough to have at least one quest item for each (or most of) your automerge slots. Protect them, or else they'll all merge into the first slot. With that done, you can leave for many hours and the game will combine hundreds of quest drops into those quest items. Each quest item at level 100 is a free major quest turn-in: So you still get long-term benefit from being gone for a long time.

If you're doing this method, definitely don't feel obligated to get ALL autocombine slots filled with level 100 quest items when you check in on it, those are just in case you forget about it or have to leave it be for a long time. Even just two or three at level 100 will give you large rewards when you can play actively. Eventually, you're going to have a whole bunch of leftover quest items from various zones - and you'll be able to rapid-fire turning in major quests with the manual bonus. I've been able to get hundreds of thousands of QP turning in majors with the beast butter this way, and I think it's worth doing if you catch Beast Butter on sale and have extra AP to buy a batch of it, or have a bunch stockpiled from the wheel or something.

Wow. not gonna lie, i never had any of this on my mind when thinking up these upgrades or what exact numerical benefit they'd give but hey, cool coincidence that they all sync up.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

I cannot believe how much having done all five 100 level challenges helps with boosting equipment. Being able to autoconvert boosts without losing tiers is amazingly helpful, like tripling my boost drops when I just need more Special and making everything more flexible. And I'm surprised at how easy those challenges were, too.

Especially combined with 100% boost recycling. I figured the 100 Level Challenge wouldn't give me any trouble when I completed the Basic Challenge and found that I hadn't gone anywhere near the 100 level limit.

Now I just need Auto Boost. I've just finished my first No Equipment Challenge, and the extra inventory space from doing the others (plus the shorter Auto Merge/Boost timer) will be helpful for long idle periods.

And with the rate at which boosts have been dropping with my normal configuration, I'll probably still need the "1/2 Auto Boost/Merge timer" powerup from the Sellout Shop.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
once you have all the boost tools and 15m merge timers boating becomes really good and the cube starts to take off. for most of the game it's 2x stats and comes with other good bonuses when it levels. it's worth getting things that boost boosts and the cube conversation

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I had seen that line up and was waiting to buy into it, assumed it was planned but good to hear that it works as well as I'd hope!

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Manyorcas posted:

Doing minors actively is... not suggested.

Idle Incremental Clickers R3: Doing minors actively is... not suggested.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Synergism is real good and doesn't really feel unfinished outside of content just stopping. Definitely more active incremental game than most and requires some careful reading of upgrades to really understand them (and in couple cases, how to really use them). Interface is bit wonky at times (stuff like optimal times being in different tab than where those times are used) and would likely be better with full redesign, but it is serviceable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Banemaster posted:

Synergism is real good and doesn't really feel unfinished outside of content just stopping. Definitely more active incremental game than most and requires some careful reading of upgrades to really understand them (and in couple cases, how to really use them). Interface is bit wonky at times (stuff like optimal times being in different tab than where those times are used) and would likely be better with full redesign, but it is serviceable.
The hard stop on content does seem like it's something that's unfinished - I don't know if the "Ant" feature or something else is what's supposed to be the bridge there but the researches go from "a couple million" to "literal billions" in costs really fast.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
With gear i'm at 148 mil energy and 13 mil magic. Up to ultimate boss 158 now. Finally after about 11 days of idle i broke through and can auto kill mega lands stuff.

I feel like i hit a massive wall though, even with the ring of apathy Uug still kills the poo poo outta me

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what the gently caress, rebirth more frequently than every 11 days. rebirths mean experience means more energy/magic capability means more progression faster

e: also get a lot more magic

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I have 55m energy and 7.3m magic and I have UUG on auto-kill and I'm trying to push towards Beardverse. What are you doing with Adv. Training?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I been doing week long rebirths but it's mostly laziness and holding onto r3 beta pots because the rb isn't that big a deal late in sad. only thing I'm really missing is the mayo fruits which aren't that good

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's not really a point in doing long rbs before you can even autokill UUG, your xp at that point still is mostly from bosses. They most likely don't have Jake and Walderp on 1h respawn either which makes it more of an issue.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what the gently caress, rebirth more frequently than every 11 days. rebirths mean experience means more energy/magic capability means more progression faster

e: also get a lot more magic

also rebirth more often to build up the passive beard modifiers since they peak at 24 hours

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

need to kill uug first for that though. i wouldn't be 1-day rebirthing at that point, more like 1hr for preference

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lone Goat posted:

what are the EM caps, and are they applied to the base number or the modified? also don't say it in "quinjillions" or whatever, please tell me the actual numerals

for reference, i'm at 4,560,010,000,000 base and 1,888,473,607,220,080,896 E and slightly less M

ok on it

I'm at 59,000,000 and 30,000,000 base. ~558,000,000 and ~241,000,000 modified.

I got a long way to go, huh.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Manyorcas posted:

Protect them, or else they'll all merge into the first slot.
How do you protect items in the inventory? My Tower key is protected and I have no idea how that happened.

vvvvvvvvv Thanks!

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 31, 2020

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

CannonFodder posted:

How do you protect items in the inventory? My Tower key is protected and I have no idea how that happened.

shift click

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The hard stop on content does seem like it's something that's unfinished - I don't know if the "Ant" feature or something else is what's supposed to be the bridge there but the researches go from "a couple million" to "literal billions" in costs really fast.

Eh, I don't even have all the current boosts to obtanium but I get roughly 3 billion a day. Finishing 1x16, 3x20, and c8x2 juices your gains a lot, as does levels in the fifth rune (though most people recommend only pushing it to like 50 before you start buying levels in 2x17).

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
where are my ANTS

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The anthill thing is great because like, you’re creating particles that create the universe and apparently you’re going to go from that to squishing ants in an anthill. That’s some NGU-level thematic progression out of nowhere.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Eh, I don't even have all the current boosts to obtanium but I get roughly 3 billion a day. Finishing 1x16, 3x20, and c8x2 juices your gains a lot, as does levels in the fifth rune (though most people recommend only pushing it to like 50 before you start buying levels in 2x17).
Yeah, I'm definitely just not there yet because I haven't done the second c8, nor 3x20 - my research path was bad, I went 1x16, unlocked fifth rune obviously, then jammed 2x16 for more obtainium even though it cost a jillion and turns out that's not optimal! Getting there, though.

e: also the synergism discord mostly really likes NGU, so take that as a compliment somethinggg

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely just not there yet because I haven't done the second c8, nor 3x20 - my research path was bad, I went 1x16, unlocked fifth rune obviously, then jammed 2x16 for more obtainium even though it cost a jillion and turns out that's not optimal! Getting there, though.

e: also the synergism discord mostly really likes NGU, so take that as a compliment somethinggg

Yeah, I used a research path that was stated to be good and then eventually got redacted and changed I went 3x20 before 1x17, and I'm still only about halfway through 2x16.

I'm actually doing a stop-over in 2x18 for now because I wanna juice my SI rune, since I'm done with c6x25 and c8x3.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
How do you unlock the fifth rune? I've done all the research except the rune ones, and I've got almost all the achievements that give things. I can't see it mentioned anywhere in game.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Lord Banana posted:

How do you unlock the fifth rune? I've done all the research except the rune ones, and I've got almost all the achievements that give things. I can't see it mentioned anywhere in game.

It's one of the researches you unlock after completing the Cost++ challenge for the first time.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Tiramisu posted:

It's one of the researches you unlock after completing the Cost++ challenge for the first time.

Fair enough. I'm still no where close to doing Cost++. Is it just a grind to there now?

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Lord Banana posted:

Fair enough. I'm still no where close to doing Cost++. Is it just a grind to there now?
Yeah at the end you basically just have to pump up your runes. Prism to 200 and dupe to 400 will get you the Cost++ challenge. And then there's not anything new to unlock before the next patch is released.

I find spending offerings quite annoying too. I don't usually leave tabs open in the background, I just go offline. But that doesn't work for auto spending offerings. Eh. I'm at the end of the current content anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If you're past c8x3, you really don't want to be spending offerings right now anyways, unless you have 4x16 maxed out at minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
My favorite part is that the next content patch will likely completely trivialize all of this content and make the elaborate "correct" paths through the current content meaningless.