Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Lone Goat posted:

After buying all the 6-cost Grav upgrades, make sure you have 6 more unspent Grav since it boosts your power.

Yeah I have 6 gravs banked.

I think my mistake may have been waiting for 100 matter to get the matter dim 2, thinking it would be worth it for producing matter dim 1s. I just started another try where I let the antimatter wipe out my matter ASAP instead, and it seems to be going much better.

E: Still not there yet, though. Stalling out around 65 this time.

E2: Got it! I just needed to buy the e3.3 photonic dim 1. Which of the neutronic upgrades is better to grab first?

Nibble fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nibble posted:

Which of the neutronic upgrades is better to grab first?

Go right for the cheaper neutronics. If you got 2 this time, you can get 4 next time (because of the achievement you got from getting 2), and that should let you flesh out the rest of the top of the neutronic tree. (You can ignore the three colorful columns below until you've done a few resets of the next layer past neutronic.)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Why doesn't the OP mention Swarm Simulator? Started it over again ~3 weeks ago and already 'beat' it again (got to Overmind II+ and all mutations with 10DDc mutagen in each, which is basically beating it, anyway.) Eternity lies ahead of us, and behind. Have you drunk your fill?

Also got back into Kittens Game. Forgot how relaxing it is to watch kittens numbers go up, especially with the aid of the Kitten Scientists script. None of that tedious crafting busywork for me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Didn't the Swarm Sim dev die? It was very sad. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't the Swarm Sim dev die? It was very sad. Maybe I'm misremembering.

I want to say that was Critter Mound.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Swarm Sim was probably the only idle game I paid money into. It was just that good! The dev of the not-webpage version (known as Swarm Sim Evolution which, let's face it, is sorta the definitive edition at this point,) Scary_Bee (who also made other idle games) is a very nice person who helped answer a developer question of my own over Reddit and I added them to the credits of my game for being an inspiration.

Definitely play Swarm Sim if you haven't.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Lilli posted:

Has anyone who has played https://proto23.herokuapp.com/ have any idea what are the requirements for going through the southern forest exit?

Edit: and also what the hells the deal with the nervous guy

Yo, this game is good.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Swarm Sim was probably the only idle game I paid money into. It was just that good! The dev of the not-webpage version (known as Swarm Sim Evolution which, let's face it, is sorta the definitive edition at this point,) Scary_Bee (who also made other idle games) is a very nice person who helped answer a developer question of my own over Reddit and I added them to the credits of my game for being an inspiration.

Definitely play Swarm Sim if you haven't.

Every time I read about Swarm Sim, I try to get back into it, and bounce off hard when I'm getting close to the first reset and it's just days (?) of using energy for boost you don't need because it lowers the prestige requirements.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GrossMurpel posted:

Every time I read about Swarm Sim, I try to get back into it, and bounce off hard when I'm getting close to the first reset and it's just days (?) of using energy for boost you don't need because it lowers the prestige requirements.

If you want to mess around with my save, I uploaded it to pastebin.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lilli posted:

Has anyone who has played https://proto23.herokuapp.com/ have any idea what are the requirements for going through the southern forest exit?

Edit: and also what the hells the deal with the nervous guy
I was really enjoying this game for 2 hours... and then I refreshed the page and lost my save. *cry*
Beware! Autosave is not turned on by default!!

Zyxyz posted:

Both aren't implemented yet—the game is still being worked on and basically in a pre-alpha state atm, once you've found the bulk of the recipes/skills/titles currently in and fully investigated the basement and hidden western woods path you're p much done for now
I just read it's been like this for 5 years... welp, that was a short run with this game which, once you lose all your energy and have no food or money left, actually ends up sucking rear end. Amazing proof of concept, dead-in-the-water development though.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 17, 2021

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
What are some good idle games for iOS? I’ll be playing on my tablet in landscape, and playing in portrait is a bit hard for me. I haven’t touched this genre in many years, so hit me with some suggestions. I think I played some Ragnarok thing a long time ago. I’d prefer one with some depth that my roommate and I can “play” (talk about) with eachother.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Valicious posted:

What are some good idle games for iOS? I’ll be playing on my tablet in landscape, and playing in portrait is a bit hard for me. I haven’t touched this genre in many years, so hit me with some suggestions. I think I played some Ragnarok thing a long time ago. I’d prefer one with some depth that my roommate and I can “play” (talk about) with eachother.

I've jumped back into Idle Skilling recently, got plenty of content to keep you occupied.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pylons posted:

I want to say that was Critter Mound.
Oh, that also sounds right so it's probably actually correct.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
For NGU: I've just unlocked cards (having previously maxed out my JRPGville equipment and tagged Adventure Stat cards), and I'm wondering where I should be focusing my resources at this point, so as to get to the Rad-lands and on to Sadistic.

I've been saving my AP to buy the last AP accessory slot - would the Rainbow Heart be a better use of my AP?

For the mayo fruits: should I level them evenly, or max out one at a time?

Anything in particular I should focus on with EXP, PP, Quirks, Hacks, and/or Wishes?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

philbr posted:

I heartily recommend https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/. It's like a zen farm you check on every now and then.

Less than two months old, but it ticks a surprising number of boxes for me: Unfolding gameplay, interesting decisions, different strategies, not too much activity required, fast and web-based, both active and passive gameplay are rewarding, very active dev, lots of QoL features.
This is a really, really good game so far. Just unlocked 6x6 board and I keep having to rethink things, which is the actual fun part. The undo button is absolutely crucial (to playing on phone) and I'm glad it works well.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

kaschei posted:

This is a really, really good game so far. Just unlocked 6x6 board and I keep having to rethink things, which is the actual fun part. The undo button is absolutely crucial (to playing on phone) and I'm glad it works well.

Do you have tips for the Ethereal Field? I've got the base field pretty much figured out at this point but not quite sure what I should be doing on the Ethereal plane yet.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I got the mistletoe to see how that goes and the answer is super loving slow, probably gonna be like 5 resets for a level

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
is there any hack or console script that might bump up the speed of Ethereal Field? It's chill but perhaps a bit too idle for me ...

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

For NGU: I've just unlocked cards (having previously maxed out my JRPGville equipment and tagged Adventure Stat cards), and I'm wondering where I should be focusing my resources at this point, so as to get to the Rad-lands and on to Sadistic.

I've been saving my AP to buy the last AP accessory slot - would the Rainbow Heart be a better use of my AP?

For the mayo fruits: should I level them evenly, or max out one at a time?

Anything in particular I should focus on with EXP, PP, Quirks, Hacks, and/or Wishes?

Rainbow Heart over last accessory slot IMO, especially if you only have 1 more accessory left to buy.

If you JUST unlocked Cards, it might be a little early to consider mayo fruits because they take a LOT of E/M to activate, aren't quite that much mayo, and weaken your beards. If you haven't killed Exile v2 yet, I'd maybe wait until you get one of his drops that has huge E/M bar bonuses that lets you activate sooner and therefore not miss out on beards.

Adv, Wish, and Hack Cards are the ones to focus on at your/our stage, since they're the 3 biggest gates to progress, and should be tagged in that order. You should definitely be looking to buy the Wish Tier Perk and Quirk ASAP I think.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Klungar posted:

Do you have tips for the Ethereal Field? I've got the base field pretty much figured out at this point but not quite sure what I should be doing on the Ethereal plane yet.
I find that I'm often berry-limited on making spores, so I prioritized berries early... but returns diminish quickly (the first increases berry production by a factor of 5/4, the second by 6/5, third 7/6 etc.) and costs increase exponentially (3/2)n, so I have just 1 or 2 more berries than mushrooms. Flowers are essentially worth 1 mushroom and 1 berry (if all your mushrooms have a flower and aren't seed-limited); that's certainly great but don't overvalue them! But do crowd them around your lotuses. Which are worth half of your four most precious upgrades early on, i.e. a flower and a berry.

You get 2 selling tokens a day which means, at least early on, you should spend all your money and sell back stuff when you can do a marginal upgrade; you don't need to save resin between resets. Maybe skip the fern if you're low on tokens or are going to be able to buy a lotus and you just realized you put your berries and clovers in a row instead of an empty cross.

Spores are the actual thing that needs to be increased to increase the level of your tree, so if you get really good berry-producing fruit, mushrooms in the ethereal field are more valuable... but reducing your time to get to each tier of mushroom is very valuable as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Residual Toast posted:

On the other end of relaxing, there's http://semenar.ru/matter-dim-test/index.html, which is similar in structure to antimatter dimensions but different in content. There's a lot of game here, with lots of prestige layers.

Really annoyed that vacuum and so far dimensional do precisely dick for the early game so 3/4 of my time is going through the same motions I've been doing since I hit neutronic. And they tease you with automation for the early layers but it comes at the rear end end of a run so you get to use it for about 5 minutes.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Started Matter Dimensions again. In case anyone at all still cares about it, you can unlock Neutronic quite easily without doing the challenge thing, you just need the achievement for getting more than 100 photons in a single reset.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 18, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I found that unlocking the first level of neutronic was pretty easy. But since it didn't give any benefits to the previous layers, and also reset what meager automation had been unlocked up to that point, I elected to stop playing instead of effectively starting over and building back up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jabor posted:

I found that unlocking the first level of neutronic was pretty easy. But since it didn't give any benefits to the previous layers, and also reset what meager automation had been unlocked up to that point, I elected to stop playing instead of effectively starting over and building back up.

The layer after neutronic does basically nothing but raise the resource cap, with a selection of qol upgrades that mostly exist to gently caress you out of progression due to the limits on your ability to gain resources at that layer. The layer after that allegedly starts addressing this but it's buried at least 4 resets deep and I think I'm about done caring.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

dis astranagant posted:

Really annoyed that vacuum and so far dimensional do precisely dick for the early game so 3/4 of my time is going through the same motions I've been doing since I hit neutronic. And they tease you with automation for the early layers but it comes at the rear end end of a run so you get to use it for about 5 minutes.

It seems like plain bad design to let you neutronic or vaccumic for 1 when it'll get you practically no material benefit, and it's totally possible (and likely intended) to do your first of each for 2 instead. I'm almost to the next reset and I'm assuming it'll be something similar.

The game's definitely way too clicky and repetitive, but I'm still enjoying it despite that. It's kind of relaxing in a way to just go through the motions for a while and then see how much further you can get this loop.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Constantly taking your early game automation away is beyond asinine.

Also I finally got photons per second but it's several orders of magnitude slower than the autobuyer and thus almost completely useless.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 18, 2021

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I will say, for a game that's incredibly stingy with automation, it's a welcome surprise that challenges only have to be done once.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

Constantly taking your early game automation away is beyond asinine.
yeah it's uh, let's go with "incredibly lovely design"

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah I'm a few time theorems space theorems in and I've finally gotten completely fed up of just losing automation constantly and given up. 90% of the neutronic layer being absolutely pointless until (I assume) you have a bunch of vacuum resets is also incredibly dumb. It has the potential to be good, but removing your automation and making you do all the clicking constantly is just terrible.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

thoughts on matter dimensions:
-would be smoother if each of the "Gain X resource on Y reset based on layers" upgrades were doubled. or, at least, started by giving two instead of one resource.
-second, as a safety measure: If resetting the vacuumic upgrade tree deletes excess resources, have it attempt to spend the resources before deleting them.
--Pretty awful when you absentmindedly reset the tree before getting another theory and have to redo it! :shepicide:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm just gonna give the benefit of the doubt and assume the "reset for 1 point that does nothing but unlock the layer" is so you can see how fast you can go through it again just with the achievements you got till then. Still lovely and dumb, of course.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

For a different perspective, I've been quite enjoying Matter Dimensions even while starting Dimensional. It's repetitive and the game is centered around redoing low-level layers to build up to the big bonuses but I'm having a lot of fun with it regardless. The lack of automation on resets is somewhat annoying, but on the flip side it's an interesting challenge trying to find the most efficient way to click through early resets faster than before while making use of the minor boosts provided to you by higher layers and by your achievements. And there's no harm in just doing a reset or two to cool down since you'll be able to build up inertia and make subsequent play even faster with upgrades.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Anfauglir posted:

Yeah I'm a few time theorems space theorems in and I've finally gotten completely fed up of just losing automation constantly and given up. 90% of the neutronic layer being absolutely pointless until (I assume) you have a bunch of vacuum resets is also incredibly dumb. It has the potential to be good, but removing your automation and making you do all the clicking constantly is just terrible.

You're actually pretty close to the point (1e80 matter) where the matter/photon automation becomes permanent. Way too late but it's something.

The part that's most tiring is the first set of gravitonics before you can neutronic, where you still have to click a whole bunch of photonic upgrades every 30 seconds or so. The fact that after all this time I just now get a "buy max" button for it, not even an autobuyer, is plain insulting.

Arcanuse posted:

-would be smoother if each of the "Gain X resource on Y reset based on layers" upgrades were doubled. or, at least, started by giving two instead of one resource.

Yeah I've played other games that give it a squared progression, so 1/4/9/etc. based on how many layers deep it is. This would be a big help, because once you unlock dimensional, you can always have the "keep photonic upgrades on gravitonic" and "upgrades based on current gravitons instead use max ever gravitons" upgrades.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
These days I even get annoyed at multi-layer automation because there's endless optimization to be done regarding what resource you reset when. "Gain X% of resource every second" or bust.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
glad everyone else also bounced off matter dimensions, lol.

I've been playing https://www.pokeclicker.com/ a fair bit lately. It's definitely one of those "game on one monitor, wiki on the other" if you want to play close to optimal, but it also really scratches the nostalgia itch

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

GrossMurpel posted:

These days I even get annoyed at multi-layer automation because there's endless optimization to be done regarding what resource you reset when. "Gain X% of resource every second" or bust.

Agreed. I feel like I sing NGU's praises a bunch but seriously I love its style. This is a genre that heavily emphasizes routine to maximize progression, so I love when that routine is "play the game once a day for maybe 20 minutes, with challenges for when you want more active play" instead of "if you are not constantly at your screen you're losing progress".

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Spokes posted:

I've been playing https://www.pokeclicker.com/ a fair bit lately. It's definitely one of those "game on one monitor, wiki on the other" if you want to play close to optimal, but it also really scratches the nostalgia itch

I played that ages ago. IIRC I cleared all the routes and gyms, then did the elite 4, and then the only thing to do was to keep breeding pokeymen in hopes of getting a shiny. Unless I missed something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Spokes posted:

I tried that one, but once you're pretty much done with a region, you have to grind quest points to gamble on eggs for the last entries you need in order to progress, which got real old, real fast.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

kaschei posted:

(Ethereal Farm) For anyone else that's just unlocked the 6x6 field, a big unintentional benefit of this is it opens up a lot of achievements to get, and I've substantially increased my production bonus thanks to that. There's achievements for every plant to plant 30 at a time in your field, and there's also an additional achievement for completely filling the field with one type of plant (watercress, berries, flowers, mushroom, nettles, and mistletoe). Do this at the end of a run before ascending.

I like how the game approaches challenges- there's a main tree level goal to reach to get the primary reward, but there's also a raising production multiplier bonus for going higher, so I assume later on it's worth it to come back and crush easier challenges harder.

For anyone else just starting the game, there's also achievements for clicking around things in the options menu and the patch notes and such. Free boosts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'd extend that to the 5x5 field as well, honestly. Even at the end of your first transcension you can pretty easily get the plant 20 for Blackberries and Blueberries, probably more than just those 2 plants even.

It's worth a pretty significant growth multiplier so it's worth doing ASAP.