Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Voxx posted:

i'm around just past this point. after manual walderp kills become possible you can catchup on a lot of challenges if you haven't been doing them. you want titan respawn reduced especially to get exp going (and speed up rate of walderp kills). once you are done you can do a 24h to climb back up.

you should be able to reliably get solid return on iron pill which combined with the adventure fruit, energy ngu, and digger you can reach auto kills in around a week without much fuss. faster depending on how far ngus are or built your perks are. I also did a long run to keep building advanced training and just sat there getting auto kills.

you'll see a pretty big power spike soon

Oh yeah I can get to auto-kills in about a day or so of grinding, although I have to use his regular cane rather than the transformed version with the great specials (or swap it out and lose the auto-kill without a gently caress tonne more grinding). I'm currently working on a fourth no rebirth run, which is going to be my absolute limit, but that's only a 11% ish increase in kill rate so hardly a game changer, and then it will be back to grinding my way towards idling with the supercane I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The special cane is already obsoleted by the next zones gear so there's no huge point to grinding it to use, rather just for completions sake

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Deformed Church posted:

Oh yeah I can get to auto-kills in about a day or so of grinding, although I have to use his regular cane rather than the transformed version with the great specials (or swap it out and lose the auto-kill without a gently caress tonne more grinding). I'm currently working on a fourth no rebirth run, which is going to be my absolute limit, but that's only a 11% ish increase in kill rate so hardly a game changer, and then it will be back to grinding my way towards idling with the supercane I guess.

24 hour RB at that point is going to start being your friend. You can do some 30 minute ones for guffins to try to boost a little, but it’s not really going to be worth it until you have higher levels on them. You should be fully running your NGUs or close to it. Lots of itopod too. You’re coming from the fast part of the game into the regular cycle of it. Those daily RBs will be the bulk of the game until late in evil when you’re pushing and late into sad. There’s nothing wrong with letting it sit, but you’ll get more EXP with the 24h cycle which will move you through the section faster by dumping into E/M. Definitely use your daycare too, I don’t remember waiting or even using the upgraded candy cane for long.

Even at the very end of the game the 24h cycle is mostly king. I need to do it more, but the I have to remember to check back in 7 minutes to put everything into its place and this is proving to be an issue.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

In NGU, is there just a big old grinding cliff after Walderp that I have to fight through or is there something specific I should start focusing on at that point? I feel like I'm pushing the limits of what the mechanics I had up to this point can handle in a reasonable amount of time, and the things that have opened up to me look like incredibly slow burns - his gear is dropping at maybe a couple of pieces per day and there's eight items to max, with no clear way to up my drop rate significantly, and while I see the potential in MacGuffins I am a very long way from having the relevant ones well levelled, or any extra slots. Starting to think the play here is just set it up to idle and basically only look at it once a week, which from reading other people's experiences feels like something that's mostly in the endgame.

I just got into Evil difficulty, and this is what I remember. Also, I generally have had this running with me checking 1-2 times a day, and occasionally running a batch of challenges when I had a free afternoon.

I believe there are multiple of these cliffs, where you are served to check in once or twice a day for a week or two. At this point, gold diggers should be getting leveled up slowly, beards getting better (permanent bonuses when you rebirth), and the Ygg fruit getting longer growing times. I think around this time, you should be getting the extra beard slots, and rebirthing at 24 hours, the max permanent beard bonus growth.

Macguffins are a super slow long term growth boost. I think until you invest a bunch of PP into making Macguffins level up faster, it just a slow minor boost.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Not grinding the cane itself, but other adventure stat boosts - my easily levelled base cane has double the stats of my level 0 special one. As of when I decided to reset for the no rebirth challenge, I could either have the raw stats to auto-kill Walderp or the huge EM boosts to fuel my NGUs and beards.

edit: oh, thanks for the extra replies while I've been typing this one. Seems like the thing I'm neglecting might be my beards, I've basically only been doing really long ones outside of challenges and pushing myself back up after challenges.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Deformed Church posted:

Not grinding the cane itself, but other adventure stat boosts - my easily levelled base cane has double the stats of my level 0 special one. As of when I decided to reset for the no rebirth challenge, I could either have the raw stats to auto-kill Walderp or the huge EM boosts to fuel my NGUs and beards.

edit: oh, thanks for the extra replies while I've been typing this one. Seems like the thing I'm neglecting might be my beards, I've basically only been doing really long ones outside of challenges and pushing myself back up after challenges.

You probably aren’t completely neglecting them, but BEARd is most important for a long time. Regular RB and chipping away at expanding is just the way it goes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

goferchan posted:

Didn't know I actually had to build the ship after researching and building a space dock lol, that added like a day to my run. The Neutronium wall is tough because the only 2 ways to increase gathering rate seem to be spending Neutronium or purchasing Mining Outposts which currently far exceed my $ cap. I guess I could have made things easier on myself by unifying but I wanted to grab the achievement for Bioseeding without it and I'm so close at this point anyways. I also don't have the Advanced Religion upgrade which apparently helps a lot in the space stage of the game?

Oh yeah you absolutely should have unified. It gives buffs to everything and there's plenty of time for going after weird(er) achievements once you get past the opening stages. The religion upgrade that adds the space building doesn't really start being a good source of buffs until you're starting to do Ascended runs just because of how limited your colonists will be until then. Also hopefully you're building all the different ARPA projects as you should be able to get a decent money cap while waiting to build your ship and drones. Try and get enough for 3 planets or so.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 18, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I didn't realize how big the storage cap bonus to unity was, that's huge -- I was already getting 24% production bonus from occupation from Federation so didn't think it would make that big a difference. I slacked on Stock Markets this run because I didn't realize how much I'd eventually start running into the money cap, lesson learned for next time though -- certainly won't have trouble beating my time!

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Falcon2001 posted:

Honestly my big idea for a factory / reactor idle style game is to make it more about shorter runs that you 'prestige' from rather than huge long forever runs.

I like the idea of combining roguelike 'randomness' factors into it, ala Shark Game (the updated one at least). Get some randomness so you're not doing the exact same thing every run, and keep the overall lifespan of a given map in the 'days' range rather than weeks or months.
Industry Idle does these things, at least at the start as far as I played it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The main problem was that buying upgrades made it too fiddly. You buy an X upgrade, which means that Y consumes more of Z, Q, R, which knocks everything out of whack and requires a complete, ground-up rebuild of your production layout. Then the amplifiers came into play with one exact, specific optimal layout per map.

I feel like the fix to this is relatively simple: automate placements based on desired outputs. So you pop open a menu where you can select like, X amount of T2 Research output buildings. The game then shows you how many of each building in the chain you'd need for green production vs. how many free spaces you have left. If everything seems OK, you press a button and it populates empty spaces with the entire build, from most basic to final output. You can then fiddle with this interface to maximize and reset builds as needed.

For obvious reasons maybe you can't factor the beacons into a system like this, but who knows; the online planner people used to min-max setups could do it, so idk why NGI couldn't do it too.

Bottom line is that the constant tear-downs and rebuilds weren't fun. Placements really didn't matter that much, not like you could give a layout your own spin or anything. Just automate the process then, simple as.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

I feel like the fix to this is relatively simple: automate placements based on desired outputs. So you pop open a menu where you can select like, X amount of T2 Research output buildings. The game then shows you how many of each building in the chain you'd need for green production vs. how many free spaces you have left. If everything seems OK, you press a button and it populates empty spaces with the entire build, from most basic to final output. You can then fiddle with this interface to maximize and reset builds as needed.

For obvious reasons maybe you can't factor the beacons into a system like this, but who knows; the online planner people used to min-max setups could do it, so idk why NGI couldn't do it too.

Bottom line is that the constant tear-downs and rebuilds weren't fun. Placements really didn't matter that much, not like you could give a layout your own spin or anything. Just automate the process then, simple as.

NGU Industry stuff

It probably needed to have a single map for building and fiddling with cutting edge production, then the rest got abstracted away to just number of plots and some sort of bonuses. So like when you advanced to the next world, the previous world got abstracted away and you can only place current tech on the current world.

That might have allowed for some of the beacon and building discovery fun. It also could have allowed for some sort of rebirth mechanic where you get bonuses to production/labs, instead of just going to infinite lower tier production. It would have required a complete rebalancing of the production trees to work out properly though.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Suzera posted:

Industry Idle does these things, at least at the start as far as I played it.

At least when I was playing it the actual maps were pretty static and you just constantly overhauled your production. My thought was more like shark game, where you start from scratch way more often with randomized 'settings' to play in - maybe this setting paper is harder to make or easier, etc, and the maps are fully randomized. Again, I have no idea if that'd be any fun, it could end up being just as much of a weird iea problem as NGU Industries, but when I play Reactor Idle or Factory Idle I'm constantly like 'boy I wish I had shorter loops'.

edit: I don't remember what game did this, but like the poster above me was mentioning, just get rid of previous maps altogether, and have you focus on one map at a time. Then when you 'ascend', you just get a new map and collect bonuses based on what you did before.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 21, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Falcon2001 posted:

At least when I was playing it the actual maps were pretty static and you just constantly overhauled your production. My thought was more like shark game, where you start from scratch way more often with randomized 'settings' to play in - maybe this setting paper is harder to make or easier, etc, and the maps are fully randomized. Again, I have no idea if that'd be any fun, it could end up being just as much of a weird iea problem as NGU Industries, but when I play REactor Idle or FActory Idle I'm constantly like 'boy I wish I had shorter loops'.
The map resource nodes are randomized which can be a really big deal unless you're on one of the basically free fuel trait maps, and there's something like 8 maps that give different bonuses. I only ever really did anything resembling a complete overhaul like twice per map since a lot of the intermediaries are required for the end things. Usually I just picked one end goal and did all the chain prereqs for that other than maybe a few opportunistic side trips if there was a really good deal on some middle-tier thing. Like one time bitcoins were stupidly expensive. I don't think I ever ran a map for more than 24 hours, including overnight sleep time.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 21, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

To be extra clear just in case, since I am not sure what game you're talking about from the description which I feel doesn't really match the game I played, I am talking about this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574000/Industry_Idle/

E: Apparently there are 14 maps to pick from now, with completely random maps on the way.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 21, 2022

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Suzera posted:

To be extra clear just in case, since I am not sure what game you're talking about from the description which I feel doesn't really match the game I played, I am talking about this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574000/Industry_Idle/

E: Apparently there are 14 maps to pick from now, with completely random maps on the way.

Oh goddamn I was wrong. I thought we were talking about NGU Industries, you are absolutely talking about a different game. I'll check that, out, thanks!

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Falcon2001 posted:

Oh goddamn I was wrong.
On the internet??? No way!

It's pretty fun though imo unless patches ruined it since I last played it. Enjoy. The expansion pack is also new/different content instead of just cheats too if you want more.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
BTW If you're on chrome and suddenly under-layered tabs stopped working again, they hit the window occlusion flag in the latest version and you have to basically re-enable showing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/comments/rxcsjy/chrome_occlusion_problem_is_back_help_please/ for a bigger explanation.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I came to terms long ago that Google didn't give a poo poo about idle game support and run them all in Firefox.

If you are already running another window why not another browser.

Hell the last product I was happy with from Google was Gmail beta, oh and I guess Google Talk was better than AIM but they did nothing to maintain that and it's dead.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I downloaded Soda Dungeon 2 and it’s kind of boring/not satisfying after going to dimension 2. The progression just doesn’t feel compelling.

However I like the idea of a party based dungeon crawler that auto-battles it’s way down.

Is there a better version of this concept out there? Preferably for mobile but I’d do desktop as well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, I'm having two issues with NGU Idle, one strategic and one technical. (Note: I am playing the Steam version.)

Technical issue first: the game really wants to be idled "live", i.e. with the game running; when it's not running offline progress gives you XP and whatnot, but doesn't advance energy/magic and, critically, doesn't give you drops -- which is a problem given how rare some drops are (I just got Ugg's Special Ring after like a week of attempts). The problem is that when I'm not actively using the computer (possibly when the screen locks), the game runs in slow motion; I'll start it up overnight, then come back in the morning to find out that as far as the game is concerned, only two hours have passed. As long as I'm actively doing something with the computer it seems to be fine, even if it's in the background.

My best guess -- not knowing anything about the internals of the game -- is that it just usleep()s for 20ms between ticks and then assumes, when it wakes up, that 20ms have passed without consulting the RTC or the uptime clock, so if the OS takes longer than 20ms to wake it up the game will run slower, and when the screen is locked maybe the OS starts waking up programs less frequently because it knows they aren't being used interactively? But this is just a guess.

The strategic issue is that I just killed Walderp's final form and now I'm not really sure what to do next. I'm not nearly powerful enough to take on the Badly Drawn World and it doesn't look like Walderp's set will help me there since it has worse adventure stats than the Beardverse set I have now -- I'm guessing it's mainly useful for its specials. I can keep pushing bosses -- my highest is 159 -- but it looks like I won't get any new unlocks or plot from them until I can graduate to Evil. Should I just be focusing on Challenges for now? They won't directly improve my adventure stats, but they'll give me a reason to a bunch of relatively frequent rebirths, so I'll get some indirect adventure stat improvements from BEARd, at least. And I guess doing more No TM Challenge runs will let me improve my Adventure Digger.

I would say "relatively frequent rebirths will also get me Macguffin bonuses now that I've unlocked them", but because of the timing issue above I'm guessing Macguffin drops will be in very short supply for a long time.

Any advice?

For reference, I've got all six of Ugg's Rings, the Infinite Beardhair, the Propellor Beanie, and the pants/shirt/feet/weapon from Beardverse equipped, all L100 and green except for the Special Ring. Beard-wise I've mostly been focusing on BEARd (~1000 levels), Neckbeard (~2000 levels), and now that I have a third beard slot, Reverse Hitler (~300 levels).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Murgos posted:

I downloaded Soda Dungeon 2 and it’s kind of boring/not satisfying after going to dimension 2. The progression just doesn’t feel compelling.

However I like the idea of a party based dungeon crawler that auto-battles it’s way down.

Is there a better version of this concept out there? Preferably for mobile but I’d do desktop as well.

It opens up after it's actually idle in the infinite dungeon. It's easier to keep up 24/7 on the steam version of soda dungeon.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ToxicFrog posted:

The strategic issue is that I just killed Walderp's final form and now I'm not really sure what to do next. I'm not nearly powerful enough to take on the Badly Drawn World and it doesn't look like Walderp's set will help me there since it has worse adventure stats than the Beardverse set I have now -- I'm guessing it's mainly useful for its specials. I can keep pushing bosses -- my highest is 159 -- but it looks like I won't get any new unlocks or plot from them until I can graduate to Evil. Should I just be focusing on Challenges for now? They won't directly improve my adventure stats, but they'll give me a reason to a bunch of relatively frequent rebirths, so I'll get some indirect adventure stat improvements from BEARd, at least. And I guess doing more No TM Challenge runs will let me improve my Adventure Digger.

I would say "relatively frequent rebirths will also get me Macguffin bonuses now that I've unlocked them", but because of the timing issue above I'm guessing Macguffin drops will be in very short supply for a long time.

Any advice?

For reference, I've got all six of Ugg's Rings, the Infinite Beardhair, the Propellor Beanie, and the pants/shirt/feet/weapon from Beardverse equipped, all L100 and green except for the Special Ring. Beard-wise I've mostly been focusing on BEARd (~1000 levels), Neckbeard (~2000 levels), and now that I have a third beard slot, Reverse Hitler (~300 levels).

Where are your Adventure stats sitting, roughly?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Where are your Adventure stats sitting, roughly?

Once all my stuff boots up (diggers, advanced training, enough bosses killed that my equipment is giving me its full bonuses, etc), around 11M power/7M toughness.

E: tried the 100 Levels Challenge for the first time and, uh, the boss number does not increase across runs? I'm going to smash out all five of these today for that doubled wandoos speed.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 22, 2022

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ToxicFrog posted:

Once all my stuff boots up (diggers, advanced training, enough bosses killed that my equipment is giving me its full bonuses, etc), around 11M power/7M toughness.

Okay, my next question would be whether you've got your cube maxed out- it can provide Adventure P/T equal to the amount your gear provides before you get softcapped, so that's worth pumping if you haven't been. Also, pumping your Adventure NGUs as hard as you can will help a lot, as will making sure your Fruit of Adventure is as high as possible and fertilized with Poop whenever feasible. I would also wonder what kind of speed your beards are running at if you're at a place where your BEARd is 1,000 levels- Energy bars will speed that up, and honestly just making sure the BEARd is always active and leveling will help a lot over time.

Oh, do you have the Perks that let you bank Advanced Training levels across rebirths? Obviously it wipes when you do a Challenge that wipes your progress but they really build up and provide a substantial bonus between Challenges.

e: No Equipment challenge doesn't increase either, and will give a nice chunk of XP and AP. Also if you haven't done Troll Challenge 2, that extra accessory slot is really handy.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 22, 2022

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

So, I'm having two issues with NGU Idle, one strategic and one technical. (Note: I am playing the Steam version.)

Technical issue first: the game really wants to be idled "live", i.e. with the game running; when it's not running offline progress gives you XP and whatnot, but doesn't advance energy/magic and, critically, doesn't give you drops -- which is a problem given how rare some drops are (I just got Ugg's Special Ring after like a week of attempts). The problem is that when I'm not actively using the computer (possibly when the screen locks), the game runs in slow motion; I'll start it up overnight, then come back in the morning to find out that as far as the game is concerned, only two hours have passed. As long as I'm actively doing something with the computer it seems to be fine, even if it's in the background.

My best guess -- not knowing anything about the internals of the game -- is that it just usleep()s for 20ms between ticks and then assumes, when it wakes up, that 20ms have passed without consulting the RTC or the uptime clock, so if the OS takes longer than 20ms to wake it up the game will run slower, and when the screen is locked maybe the OS starts waking up programs less frequently because it knows they aren't being used interactively? But this is just a guess.

Any advice?

I found the best and fastest source of info was the discord channel that is linked somewhere on the extra info pages of the game. It has channels that are broken down by phases of the game, and lots of really useful information pinned in the channel relevant to just that phase. So you are not going to get spoiled on super future stuff unless you go digging.

Also, the other big benefit to challenges is that some of them give a large amount of exp and AP. And if you can get through a bunch, that can get you a good amount of AP upgrades, or energy and magic stuff. That is in addition to the other bonuses the challenges give.

Another thing, it’s a minor boost, but higher level boss killed increases a counter on your time machine for more gps. More gps let’s you run higher diggers (and gets extra gold to level them up). Again, an extra handful of bosses isn’t much, but in this game every little bit adds up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, my next question would be whether you've got your cube maxed out- it can provide Adventure P/T equal to the amount your gear provides before you get softcapped, so that's worth pumping if you haven't been. Also, pumping your Adventure NGUs as hard as you can will help a lot, as will making sure your Fruit of Adventure is as high as possible and fertilized with Poop whenever feasible. I would also wonder what kind of speed your beards are running at if you're at a place where your BEARd is 1,000 levels- Energy bars will speed that up, and honestly just making sure the BEARd is always active and leveling will help a lot over time.

Yeah, I've been keeping BEARd on all the time. Fruit of Adventure is only at level 2 because I'm been focusing all my seeds on getting Pomegranate to level 24 so I can then level everything else up faster. Cube is far from maxed but it's not for lack of trying, it's just that I prioritize putting boosts into non-cube equipment and since offline item drops aren't a thing and I can't leave it running overnight for drops, boosts are in short supply. My cube is providing about 22k power/toughness which isn't nothing but is a lot less than the softcap.

quote:

Oh, do you have the Perks that let you bank Advanced Training levels across rebirths? Obviously it wipes when you do a Challenge that wipes your progress but they really build up and provide a substantial bonus between Challenges.

I don't, largely because I spent the last little while saving up my PP for the extra accessory slot, which I only just unlocked a few days ago.

quote:

e: No Equipment challenge doesn't increase either, and will give a nice chunk of XP and AP. Also if you haven't done Troll Challenge 2, that extra accessory slot is really handy.

Ok, I'm going to clear out No Equipment and 100 Levels ASAP, then. For Troll I just finished Troll 4 for the extra beard slot.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oh yeah, I hate to say it but if your actual gear isn't capped then you're weaker than you could be and unfortunately yeah, NGU really wants to be open at all times.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
That's why I had to stop playing NGU- I have ADHD and it needing to be open meant I was constantly tempted to play actively to do minor rear end optimizations and it was really bad for my brain.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh yeah, I hate to say it but if your actual gear isn't capped then you're weaker than you could be and unfortunately yeah, NGU really wants to be open at all times.

My actual gear is capped, apart from the Special Ring which I only just got. It's just the cube that isn't.

And yeah the problem(s) with keeping NGU open at all times are (a) it's a huge CPU/battery hog, (b) since I use the Steam version I can't play NGU and any other Steam game at the same time, and (c) since it stops updating properly whenever I step away from the computer for more than a few minutes there's basically no benefit to leaving it running all the time anyways except when I'm actively sitting at the computer. Like, leaving it open overnight means I'm trading 8-10 hours of everything-but-drops progress for 1-2 hours of everything-including-drops progress and that's a really lovely trade.

Trimps has a much more user-friendly approach to this where it just banks time when offline and then replays what you missed at hyperspeed next time you start it up.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

ToxicFrog posted:

And yeah the problem(s) with keeping NGU open at all times are (a) it's a huge CPU/battery hog, (b) since I use the Steam version I can't play NGU and any other Steam game at the same time, and (c) since it stops updating properly whenever I step away from the computer for more than a few minutes there's basically no benefit to leaving it running all the time anyways except when I'm actively sitting at the computer. Like, leaving it open overnight means I'm trading 8-10 hours of everything-but-drops progress for 1-2 hours of everything-including-drops progress and that's a really lovely trade.
Unless there's something specific to NGU or the game you're trying to open, Steam itself doesn't stop you from launching multiple games out of it.

As for the game stalling when you afk, have you check on/tried changing your computers power settings so the CPU doesn't throttle down when you're not using it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Suzera posted:

Unless there's something specific to NGU or the game you're trying to open, Steam itself doesn't stop you from launching multiple games out of it.

It complains if you try to launch multiple games on multiple computers from the same account. Whether this actually stops one or more of the games from working depends on the games in question. This is potentially a problem if I want to play NGU on my laptop and something else on the desktop (which is the usual setup; I'm not going to try to run NGU and another game on the same machine at once when NGU maxes out 2-3 cores on its own).

It also completely disallows the use of Family Game Sharing, which is a problem if I want to leave NGU running somewhere while my daughter borrows my steam copy of Hardspace Shipbreaker or something.

quote:

As for the game stalling when you afk, have you check on/tried changing your computers power settings so the CPU doesn't throttle down when you're not using it?

I haven't, because it honestly did not at any point cross my mind that a game written anytime in the last 10-20 years might be relying on cycle counting rather than the RTC and uptime clocks built into every computer

although it would explain both why it runs in slow motion when the computer is idle and why it's so CPU-hungry

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Orvin posted:

Also, the other big benefit to challenges is that some of them give a large amount of exp and AP. And if you can get through a bunch, that can get you a good amount of AP upgrades, or energy and magic stuff. That is in addition to the other bonuses the challenges give.

Ok, you weren't kidding about this -- I cleared all the 100 Level Challenges and I'm currently on run #3 of No Equipment Challenge and I have enough AP that I'm wondering if I want to get a fourth beard slot or an eighth accessory slot

Probably the beard?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

For evolve idle spend some time doing silver runs and nuking yourself, you should be able to clear one every day or so and eventually you'll have your mastery at about 20-30% and you can start to bioseed

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
I don't think anyone mentioned this but there's a new zone in Your Chronicle, as well as challenge runs with decent rewards that make it possible to do ED5 in a non insane way when levelled now, I think.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, you weren't kidding about this -- I cleared all the 100 Level Challenges and I'm currently on run #3 of No Equipment Challenge and I have enough AP that I'm wondering if I want to get a fourth beard slot or an eighth accessory slot

Probably the beard?

Just don’t worry about buying all the AP beard slots right away. The 7th beard is unlocked from the final troll challenge (in easy), and the last AP beard is useless until you unlock that beard. The middle troll challenge that unlocks a beard slot is not too hard to get through.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Probably the beard?

Don't forget to invest AP in the Heart items, they take a while to max out in the Daycare, so you want to plan ahead. Yellow or Red are good to start.

Also, you didn't say if you've done No Rebirth challenges. Getting those to at least 4 at this point will accelerate your EXP gain greatly off of Titan kills. Then just keep pushing into Adventure NGU, Drop Chance NGU, BEARd levels, and Advanced Training Stats. Getting around 10-12k+ levels in Adventure NGU should you start farming in Badly Drawn if you keep up the other gains too.

Don't expect the next zone to go quickly, the drop chance is abysmally small comparatively. But getting a few of the pieces will let you farm much more easily - the armor pieces start at 60k Toughness (compared to the 25K max of the previous non-Walderp set), and the weapon starts at 500k Power.

Don't worry about the Cube yet - takes way to much without the Boost multipliers you eventually get. Do get the Filter into the Cube AP purchase though, it helps with progress when you are sitting in the ITOPOD.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 23, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gully Foyle posted:

Don't forget to invest AP in the Heart items, they take a while to max out in the Daycare, so you want to plan ahead. Yellow or Red are good to start.

Also, you didn't say if you've done No Rebirth challenges. Getting those to at least 4 at this point will accelerate your EXP gain greatly off of Titan kills. Then just keep pushing into Adventure NGU, Drop Chance NGU, BEARd levels, and Advanced Training Stats. Getting around 10-12k+ levels in Adventure NGU should you start farming in Badly Drawn if you keep up the other gains too.

Don't expect the next zone to go quickly, the drop chance is abysmally small comparatively. But getting a few of the pieces will let you farm much more easily - the armor pieces start at 60k Toughness (compared to the 25K max of the previous non-Walderp set), and the weapon starts at 500k Power.

Don't worry about the Cube yet - takes way to much without the Boost multipliers you eventually get. Do get the Filter into the Cube AP purchase though, it helps with progress when you are sitting in the ITOPOD.

I already have Yellow and Red Heart maxed, and I've done exactly four No Rebirth challenges. And I have filter-into-cube, although I have no idea if it procs for offline progress; probably not since it's drop-based.

Adventure NGU to 10-12k is, uh, surprising, I've been working on getting all my NGUs to the softcap (and ~1000 for the ones that don't have softcaps) and softcap for adventure is 1000.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I already have Yellow and Red Heart maxed, and I've done exactly four No Rebirth challenges. And I have filter-into-cube, although I have no idea if it procs for offline progress; probably not since it's drop-based.

Adventure NGU to 10-12k is, uh, surprising, I've been working on getting all my NGUs to the softcap (and ~1000 for the ones that don't have softcaps) and softcap for adventure is 1000.

The Adventure NGU (alpha) soft-cap is quite soft, and it's really worth pushing it forward over others. Mine is sitting at 13800 currently, giving me a multiplier of 473% (as opposed to the 200% at the softcap) - I just started farming in Badly Drawn World (woo, a whole 1.5% drop chance from bosses!).

I don't know what else could be causing a lack of progress - you seem to have plenty of challenges now and the right AP purchases. Auto-killing the first 4 Titans every hour should be raking in the experience to invest in Energy/Magic which then you push into NGUs - most of every 24 hour reset should be spent in NGU investing, with the best NGU speed equipment equipped (don't forget older equipment like the Regular Tie from Jake's set - it has a huge NGU speed boost). Once you have enough to start auto-killing Walderp offline (I think its 13m/7m), that helps a ton too.

At some point though it just takes time. The gap between Adventure zones just keeps growing and takes more time to get to.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Possibly I'm underinvesting in NGUs; it's only relatively recently that I've started treating them as a thing I turn on every rebirth rather than something that I maybe remember to move energy/magic into if I have some left over after setting up everything else.

Kind of wish it let you set up an energy/magic allocation plan to apply automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Possibly I'm underinvesting in NGUs; it's only relatively recently that I've started treating them as a thing I turn on every rebirth rather than something that I maybe remember to move energy/magic into if I have some left over after setting up everything else.

Kind of wish it let you set up an energy/magic allocation plan to apply automatically.

That's likely it then. NGUs are by far the most important thing you invest Energy/Magic into until much much later (Wishes etc). A typical 24 hour rebirth should be like 1 hour of gold finding with a pinch of blood magic/augments/Wandoos to make sure you aren't falling behind and get enough GPS to run your diggers, some Advanced training to either farm better or reach a higher ITOPOD level as needed, and then like 23 hours of 100% E/M investment in NGUs.