Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Nervous posted:

Clicker Ultimate

Done a few prestiges, hit the Age of Revolution and there are no new upgrades, just increasing ranks of the resource banks. Do I just keep getting those and eventually new stuff shows up again?

I pushed it until something popped up and it said "hey you can't advance until you have a colony" so now I'm in my second run. The prestige upgrades feel so weak I just dumped my two points into "two points for the next prestige"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Nervous posted:

Clicker Ultimate

Done a few prestiges, hit the Age of Revolution and there are no new upgrades, just increasing ranks of the resource banks. Do I just keep getting those and eventually new stuff shows up again?

I have also done a few prestiges, and run into the same issue. I will say that without pumping some advancements/prestiges/leaders/maybe other bonuses the resource banks cap out. As far as I can tell, to advance beyond that (this isn't from wikis or anything, just what I've found):

I think you have to unlock some secret upgrades/advancements. The one I think I've found is if you take Charlemagne, you later gain access to Gutenberg, who opens up some other advancements for Printing Press. I haven't got the prestige ability to take multiple leaders yet, but that's my best guess.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I pushed it until something popped up and it said "hey you can't advance until you have a colony" so now I'm in my second run. The prestige upgrades feel so weak I just dumped my two points into "two points for the next prestige"

Yeah, I took the same. Hasty is basically free if you've got pending prestige points.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I just tried Clicker Ultimate (thanks?).

My water production is now so far in the negative that I can't gain any water at all anymore. Is there some way to dig out of this or am I basically locked?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Cobalt60 posted:

I just tried Clicker Ultimate (thanks?).

My water production is now so far in the negative that I can't gain any water at all anymore. Is there some way to dig out of this or am I basically locked?

Gotta just click a bunch, I guess.

I gotta say, I'm about to drop it. Any game where the reward for restarting hours of work is a 5% bonus is a total turnoff.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Nah I can't click fast enough, it all burns away.

I'll drop it, sounds like it's not a long-term fun, thanks.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I lasted less that 24 hours with Clicker Ultimate.

The prestiges are EXTREMELY underwhelming, and it requires pretty active play unless you want to wait a week between (extremely weak) prestiges.

On top of that, there just isn't much at all to it. Not a whole lot of new things popping up, just having to buy multi-tier techs over and over again. Then doing it all over again ever so slightly faster. I don't get the appeal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

addPrestigePoints(number,true)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Mr Scumbag posted:

I lasted less that 24 hours with Clicker Ultimate. The prestiges are EXTREMELY underwhelming
I took it up to the Dark Age and then cheated my rear end off to see what else the game had to offer, which was not much

if your prestige doesn't at least make the game 50% faster then what is the point

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I downloaded Idle Research on steam and lost hours. Been a while since that happened. It's a pretty fast-paced idler where every unlock feels significant

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Did Wizard and Minion Idle (WAMI) ever have a run through this thread? It's heavily inspired (and credits) by NGU/4G and it shows. I've been playing it recently and found it to be one of the better idle games I've touched recently. If you want something similar to NGU but enough differences to be fresh, I'd definitely give it a shot.

On another note, the author is also releasing Farmers Against Potatoes Idle (FAPI) on Aug 26 which could be interesting. I'm at least looking forward to it based upon WAMI but time will tell if it's actually enjoyable.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm playing WAMI right now and I like it a lot, but I don't think it ever really caught on in this thread.

Thinking about switching to FAPI when it comes out because the WAMI mobile port is a hot dumpster fire atm.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
WAMI had a few really good things (his take on cap/bars/speed in the first mechanic, completely forgoing having inventory space) but most of the mechanics are way overcomplicated for no real benefit to the game. I quit when I hit alchemy and couldn't mentally juggle all the stuff to do to play optimally.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Gonna be honest: I'm still playing WAMI over NGU because none of its mechanics are as bad as inventory management in NGU.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lone Goat posted:

I tried Wizard and Minion Idle and the ui is really unattractive and there's all these things that look like they should do something when you click them but nothing happens. What gives????

quoting myself from three years ago, is wami still a hideous eyesore?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what game is FAPI?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I played a lot of WAMI but stopped recently when the mobile version stopped working since that was my main way to play.

FAPI is their next game, supposed to be coming this month.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Lone Goat posted:

quoting myself from three years ago, is wami still a hideous eyesore?

Absolutely.

The mobile version actually looks pretty nice, but it's not working on every device atm and it seems like the dev has all but dropped support for it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Now there's a surprising criticism. I thought WAMI didn't look any worse than NGU or almost any other idler.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

omeg posted:

I played a lot of WAMI but stopped recently when the mobile version stopped working since that was my main way to play.

The name makes me think it's about fapping which is not something I want to play. I'm sure it's not, but do people not think about their names anymore?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The interfaces for WAMI and NGU both look to have been made in Paint but NGU is actually nice to look at and WAMI is... not so much.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sindai posted:

I downloaded Idle Research on steam and lost hours. Been a while since that happened. It's a pretty fast-paced idler where every unlock feels significant

Honestly yeah this kind of rules. The game's pretty good about giving you decent upgrades too, which is nice.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pope Guilty posted:

The interfaces for WAMI and NGU both look to have been made in Paint but NGU is actually nice to look at and WAMI is... not so much.

There is a difference between low and high quality MSpaint art, just like there is a difference in high and low quality sprites or as kids these days call even voxels "pixel graphics" which normally means classing resolutions and horrible.

If you spend the effort to learn your tool you the limitations bring out creativity by having to work around them. When you try to just make whatever and just take the best copy you can make in 20 minutes.... that's completely different. You need to stick to your color pallet, you need to stick to your style and theme choices.

I haven't played WAMI in awhile but pulled up their wiki even the same sprites seem to have conflicts with a slime with fancy shading and flat wings just stuck to it that looks like it was taken from 2 artists and the dev slammed them together. Seriously this is 2 art styles, this is why you think it looks bad.

If you are going to have multiple artists you need them to conform to a style sheet or at least use them for assets that wont be on the same screen, or at the very least not on the same sprite!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Arzaac posted:

Gonna be honest: I'm still playing WAMI over NGU because none of its mechanics are as bad as inventory management in NGU.

WAMI's inventory system blows NGU's way the gently caress out of the water, but NGU has WAMI dead to rights on overall systems cohesion. As much as I dislike some systems in NGU, especially towards the end, none really feel like they don't fit together and there's a cohesive whole you are always advancing through them. WAMI gets weirdly sparse in the ultra late-game and some of the later mechanics are absolute boring rear end, with a distinct lack of NGU's automated-away thing - some mechanics in WAMI feel like they should reach a near full automation point and never do.

The art argument is weird and subjective and while I get that WAMI is the harder to look at of the two, and NGU manages much better in the looking-good-while-trying-to-look-bad department, it's really not heaps better either. But NGU's UI doesn't hurt to look at while WAMI's does, so, you know...

But also, then again I never finished NGU even though I was deep into Sadistic because of the Inventory thing, after seeing how well it could be done in a similar game and realizing it was never going to change, so...<

Land of contrasts.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I really don’t understand what the issue with inventory in NGU is. Most of it is either automated, or you can make it automated. I don’t think I ran into issues with a short amount of inventory space unless I’d been doing quest item collection and looked away. Even then you could put the items into the auto slots and it would take a lot of time to even get close.

Pre auto merge, auto boost, and filters it was more of a chore, but not any worse than games with a bunch of inventory management and not really ever with an issue of losing something I needed.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh yeah, none of those are the problem with NGU inventory, most of the issues come with actually equipping things. There's no real ability to sort or filter your gear, and inventory isn't too limited but the caveat to that is that you have to actually decide what you're holding on to. And if you decide to dump something you need later, you have to farm it back up again.

In contrast what makes WAMI inventory so nice is that your item list IS your inventory: it's got a spot for every item and you never have to worry about discarding anything. And on top of that, it lets you sort by literally every item stat so you can quickly switch to what you want. Takes literally all the pain out of item management. Another small thing is that WAMI straight up doesn't have mana cap as a stat on items, which was another small aggravation.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Sindai posted:

I started this off your post and fell in a deep hole, once you hit your first prestige holy poo poo, I don't think I've played a game recently where the speed of mechanic unlocks outpaces your ability to react to them that fast

I hit my first ice run and it's slowed down a lot now, but I'm pretty entertained

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Arzaac posted:

Oh yeah, none of those are the problem with NGU inventory, most of the issues come with actually equipping things. There's no real ability to sort or filter your gear, and inventory isn't too limited but the caveat to that is that you have to actually decide what you're holding on to. And if you decide to dump something you need later, you have to farm it back up again.

In contrast what makes WAMI inventory so nice is that your item list IS your inventory: it's got a spot for every item and you never have to worry about discarding anything. And on top of that, it lets you sort by literally every item stat so you can quickly switch to what you want. Takes literally all the pain out of item management. Another small thing is that WAMI straight up doesn't have mana cap as a stat on items, which was another small aggravation.

This^, and while it's been a while I seem to remember needing to keep NGU open a lot more than WAMI wrt item grinds. It's all cool & good to want to have the game open in the background, but like, within reason. If I'm doing long stretches like, keeping it open overnight for days on end or whatever, it gets to a point where I'm not that cool with it any more. Not to exaggerate anyway, NGU was like, still pretty drat good in that respect when I compare it to absolute horror shows like Idle Pins, but still. ymmv if you care about any of that, tho :shrug:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So, for NGU 2 how i have inventory set up is that you have about 12 "categories"and within each you can put any # of different tems within, orgaized however you like. Then when you loot or put anything inside, it finds where it is in your imv and adds to that stack wherever it is. Do you think that'll help improve inv management?

Fake edit: then the idea is say you have a pit equivalent, and you want to toss, say, some sort of chestpiece. Itll find them in your stash, and yeet all but 1 so it stays in the relative placement you gave it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arzaac posted:

This makes sense, yeah. I never ran into it as a problem, but I get why it would be one for people.

My problem was sucking at manual fighting because I’d get distracted, so I was terrible at sniping the next zone’s gear. I only played WAMI for a month or so until it just didn’t keep my attention. I’m sure there was more to it, but it wasn’t impactful enough I guess.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just want either a text field that fades items that don't match the string or a drop-down with item attributes that fades irrelevant items. Would be a bit simpler to choose gear.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

omeg posted:

WAMI has been a great slow burn for me over the pandemic, playing for 15-30 minutes at a time before bed. I've played exclusively on the mobile version, which has a much better UI than the PC version, which also makes it all the more frustrating that the dev appears unable to fix some of the mobile version bugs. I personally kind of like that most mechanics remain relevant, even in endgame, but you do outgrow or automate many of them. I'm not sure yet if I'll move over to PC or just declare it done at some point soon, because I'm nearing the end of the content.

I've played a bit of FAPI in beta and while it has some positive things going for it, there's only a couple plates to spin right now, and they're not especially interactive or actively engaging. I think I'll let it marinate a bit more before I come back to it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sindai posted:

postmodifier posted:

I started this off your post and fell in a deep hole, once you hit your first prestige holy poo poo, I don't think I've played a game recently where the speed of mechanic unlocks outpaces your ability to react to them that fast

I hit my first ice run and it's slowed down a lot now, but I'm pretty entertained

If I weren't already playing Melvor Idle and Egg Inc (I reinstalled them sue me!), I would totally hop on this too. I have made a note to circle back to this game when I want a new idler.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sindai posted:

It's also extremely solid on mobile

Like, the pacing and structure is just solidly comprehensible so far, I'm actually interested in what this whole "ice age" thing that apparently I'm about to crash into is, and prestiging does the key thing of being an integrated mechanic with a bunch of things that spiral off from it in interesting ways rather than just a reset with bigger number thing. If your idle game doesn't make me actually weigh up slamming through a bunch of prestiges to build up currency 1 versus waiting a while to build up more currency 2, it should because that's a fun choice to try to optimise.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

something posted:

So, for NGU 2 how i have inventory set up is that you have about 12 "categories"and within each you can put any # of different tems within, orgaized however you like. Then when you loot or put anything inside, it finds where it is in your imv and adds to that stack wherever it is. Do you think that'll help improve inv management?

Fake edit: then the idea is say you have a pit equivalent, and you want to toss, say, some sort of chestpiece. Itll find them in your stash, and yeet all but 1 so it stays in the relative placement you gave it.

I just realized it's been a little over 5 years since you first posted NGU. Congrats!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775797&userid=178176#post475280188

I've been wondering, do you have any good recommendations on where to start with Unity for this style of game? There's a ton of stuff out there for 3D games and stuff, but it's a little harder to find stuff for a game that's basically a menu.
Even a few keywords that make it easier to google might help.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Somfin posted:

Like, the pacing and structure is just solidly comprehensible so far, I'm actually interested in what this whole "ice age" thing that apparently I'm about to crash into is, and prestiging does the key thing of being an integrated mechanic with a bunch of things that spiral off from it in interesting ways rather than just a reset with bigger number thing. If your idle game doesn't make me actually weigh up slamming through a bunch of prestiges to build up currency 1 versus waiting a while to build up more currency 2, it should because that's a fun choice to try to optimise.

Having just done it, it very funnily reminds me of the shahrazad card from Magic, it literally puts your game on pause, saves it, and then you play a second iteration of the game that has effects on your original game when you finish

It's clever but it only works a few times before you trivialize it, so it becomes a weird side process for grinding another currency

I still like it, though

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Somfin posted:

Does it have cloud/crossplatform save or is it still too early in development for that?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Xtanstic posted:

Does it have cloud/crossplatform save or is it still too early in development for that?

Yeah, through Playfab.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I didn’t realize Idle Research dropped on iOS at the same time. Very nice.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/idle-research/id1538381108

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ok Idle Research is slaps. A very nice return to form of classic number go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's neat that tubes unlock just as flasks turns into an almost entirely automated matter of idling for freezing flasks for hours.