Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My biggest detractor from the game is how they're insistent on keeping non-gacha parts like blues at such a statistical disadvantage lategame. There are niche parts sure but why even build a Zaku or GM if they're abject trash? Why not scale all our stats a bit equally. I get that it's for whaling but they could at least take a page out of Dragalia Lost or any other successful gacha game and not hamstring f2p parts this much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zodack posted:

My biggest detractor from the game is how they're insistent on keeping non-gacha parts like blues at such a statistical disadvantage lategame. There are niche parts sure but why even build a Zaku or GM if they're abject trash? Why not scale all our stats a bit equally. I get that it's for whaling but they could at least take a page out of Dragalia Lost or any other successful gacha game and not hamstring f2p parts this much.

I mean, time-saving is a massive motivator in other games, so making a high powered GM take a long time to get can be a great motivator to convert people into paying customers. I know it's the quickest way to convert me.

Right now, I can't really "save time" by purchasing things. Sure, a suit of fully specced purple parts would be great but 1) nothing in the game gates the "acquire more gunpla" aspect behind needing ungodly powerful suits and 2) it's an obscene level of investment to push your probability of having a complete set of anything up to 50%. To the point where I considered just making protest posts on Reddit where I go out and buy a real gunpla and do a week-long build for it whenever a new gacha suit I want drops.

It'd certainly motivate me to get back in the hobby.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Seen a post last night on Reddit where a guy admitted to spending over $500 on pulls to get the Freedom and Justice Gundams and I laughed until I cried. Like that poo poo should be grounds for having unfettered access to your own finances removed for your own good like the girl on Dragon Tattoo.
The new guy you can buy for Arena coins looks pretty cool. Dunno if he's any good stats-wise but his backpack has lots of wings and guns and poo poo and that's all I need out of a Gundam.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Cagalli is a girl's name, and she's basically the welfare version of Launch Celebration 0079 Amuro (Speed Middle-Shooter with the niche but cool trait of faster-flying bullets/beams) which is about all my Speed builds have been clamoring for.

Shame the only standout part of Strike Rouge for a ranged build is the over-engineered railgun-and-mall-katana backpack, but that just means more stuff to earmark for "I swear I'll pull Lowe one day and make a true Speed In-Fighter build instead of Harry Ord doing all the work"

Zushio
May 8, 2008
LMAO Whale Coins added!

Edit: Quick math tells me that to get enough coins for a single garuenteed 4-Star Draw (15 coins) you would need to spend 22,500 harobux on the current featured draw. Assuming you have spent all your free harobux that means the cheapest way to get enough coins is to buy the largest pack twice (current Canadian price $109.99) followed by the smallest pack three times (Current price $1.39). This works out to $223.95 Canadian. You will have 60 extra harobux.

You might end up with a slightly lower total it you haven't bought the discounted chips available yet, but it would involve more, smaller transactions.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 2, 2019

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Diet Poison posted:

Seen a post last night on Reddit where a guy admitted to spending over $500 on pulls to get the Freedom and Justice Gundams and I laughed until I cried. Like that poo poo should be grounds for having unfettered access to your own finances removed for your own good like the girl on Dragon Tattoo.
The new guy you can buy for Arena coins looks pretty cool. Dunno if he's any good stats-wise but his backpack has lots of wings and guns and poo poo and that's all I need out of a Gundam.

In the first week or two someone admitted to spending 2k and had broken 100k Suit power. I keep trying to find the post but I think he deleted it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Especially with this game it's hard to understand the point short of a problem or too much money. The "meta" is akin to cutting melted butter with a knife. Can a sharp knife do it? Sure, but so can really any other knife. For 2k I could have so many actual, physical gundam models and not shoddy 3d phone images.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So the Super Hard just rolled me over. Did they overtune the thing or do they intend 35k combat power estimate to be absolute nonsense?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Same. I've got like 7k ranged attack on my main and went in with a 50kish squad and felt like i was barely denting them. I know that's not like, super impressive by the standards of this game but it seems like it should be more than enough for a 35k mission.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 2, 2019

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Warmachine posted:

So the Super Hard just rolled me over. Did they overtune the thing or do they intend 35k combat power estimate to be absolute nonsense?

Same. My near 100k main gunpla literally couldn't deal more than 1 damage with my main weapons. Only Ex skills did anything significant.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah, it feels tuned for the 100k+/minmax crowd. If they're gonna do that, they should reflect that in the combat power estimate.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The 100k is also significantly harder than most other 100k events. I don't understand it much at all since the balance seemed pretty good with the Stargazer stuff.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Speaking of whaling, fresh from the reddit discord...

I don't know if it's one of theirs but there are certainly people in there dropping $600+ per banner to get full suits.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Warmachine posted:

In my opinion the combat power estimate is like my bus app's estimate of how far away the bus is in minutes: fuckin meaningless. Just look at the numbers for the Ono challenge. Increased hugely but my tactic for that never changed: check 'em periodically to see if they'd partner me with a whale "friend" with over 10000 shot or melee atk, and stay the hell out of the way. I've got a friend with over 230000 CPWR and he's no better than others with 100000.

Also I pulled TWO four-star banner parts on the first night, Hail Zeon, time to vacuum up as much poo poo as I can while the gettin's good. And I looked last night and you can earn something like 6.5 million coins through bonuses with this one, thankfully; they obviously realized after introducing these Gear pieces some people were gonna be broke as hell.

e: Just noticed one of my friends only has like 49000 CPWR and over 13000 shot attack, annihilating anything in its way. So... meaningless.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 3, 2019

Zushio
May 8, 2008
So... um anyone playing the other, newly released in North America free to play Gundam game on PS4? Bunch of free good poo poo in the launch event. Including everyone's precious Guncannon.

It's more like an actual Gundam VS game, but holy crap make sure you do all other newly unlocked tutorials after you finish the tutorial.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zushio posted:

So... um anyone playing the other, newly released in North America free to play Gundam game on PS4? Bunch of free good poo poo in the launch event. Including everyone's precious Guncannon.

It's more like an actual Gundam VS game, but holy crap make sure you do all other newly unlocked tutorials after you finish the tutorial.

I'd love to, but I don't have a PS4 (or TV) to play it on, so I'm poo poo out of luck for now. And I'll miss the 10 free suits too, which bums me out. (I voted in the campaign for one of them and promptly stopped following.)

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Were you planning in getting one soon? You could register for psn and them I could log in for you. You dont need psn+.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 4, 2019

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I just started playing today and my experience is either dinking a guy every now and then with a beam cannon or getting absolutely stun locked in melee. Neat though

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Do the other tutorials, I cannot emphasize this enough. Also it's much slower than previous VS titles, and completely different than a standard shooter. Try to stay with your squad, don't rush and if you fly back to your home base and stop your MS will repair itself.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I've done all the tutorials except the final advanced ones. I enjoy it when I have a good comp but I think it's a byproduct of inexperience and being new, and being placed with people who are new. The best game I've had so far I planted a bomb and then just sat in the back as a guncannon which was kind of fun.

I like how show and methodological it is, makes the MS feel like they have weight. I got the G-3 Gundam from my free pull and it's fun to run around with a powerful beam sword and two bazookas. I think mostly I'm annoyed that the ground missions for me right now are 200 cost. Do those go on rotation? I did a 450 cost ground mission and now I'm at 200 ground, 400 space, 4v4 any.

My biggest annoyance right now is trying to do the advanced tutorials for the coins and the GM Sniper having a case of insane AI laser aim to the point of the beam coming out of the sniper sideways and hitting me. But still, teaches me how to pilot a raid suit better I guess.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The raid class one of those is a real motherfucker.

The space version is at least a little easier since you're not on a big flat open plain.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This game needs a "sort by max stats" option.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Free Mission 6-20 on Hard: 516 times so far. 1% drop my rear end :v:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I got a Code Phi Scythe on my 5th ever hard mission. Only done a dozen or so.

Also, still here, still clearing every drop of content with free play. Don't always get the extra enhancement circuits from the coin store, but I get everything else from every event so far. The free 200 part storage was a godsend as I'm at 518 parts and counting.

Super salty I didn't get any F91 bits despite having almost 100 draws from that event capsule mechanic. Hope it comes back, I want the rest of the alt versions and F91.

Somehow, not level 100 yet.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 23, 2019

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Proud to report I did my free 10x pull every day for the duration of the event and didn't get a single purple part

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nur_Neerg posted:

Free Mission 6-20 on Hard: 516 times so far. 1% drop my rear end :v:

gently caress it. I messed around with that poo poo for too long before realizing I have better parts in every category already. On the upside I scraped all the Haros out of the free missions... except for a couple I swear are broken. I know what a successful guard looks like, and I did ten goddamnit, and it still didn't give me credit.

So do we think it's worth it to get the pre-golded backpack in this event? I don't think any of the other parts are good enough unless you're really hard up for battle-ready parts.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
They are pretty much outside your reach unless you got the big multiplier, unless you dont buy anything else.

You can max out every one of the blue parts for the cost of a single, unleveled gold. Just use the free Awakening if you want it.

Edit: You would still need to buy 15 of the Blue level to max out the gold part trait.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 23, 2019

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Not really? I got 300% and change just with the three 15% bonus suits and have already bought the pink upgrade chip, blue upgrade chip, all the gear and decals... and I won't get to the pink AI chip without burning haros, and I'm not doing that.
Mostly just wondering if anyone sees utility in the freezing function. It's either I buy that or I piss my coins away on two standard capsule tickets that are almost guaranteed to be worthless.
I could buy a shitload of all the blue parts, but I'm pretty sure they all suck rear end.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
You just need six of each part to max it out the trait/ability on any given Blue part. I always buy any decals, paint jobs and gear parts available. As well as max out the trait on all the parts and pilots. Anything like a draw ticket becomes a priority. I see no point in buying any of the enhancement or Awakening items because the game rains them on you for completing event achievments. I have stacks of between 70 and 150 of everything but purples, of which I have 9 each right now. Also, if you want upgrade and Awakening items buy extra parts and sell them for Platinum Coins. Use those coins to buy the Awakening items for substantially cheaper. You also end up with a shitload of money and coins.

If I end up with extra coins I just roll them in to extra parts to sell. Currently sitting on almost 400 platinum coins, just under 10 million currency and 9000 Harobux. Sometimes, when I need gear parts, I just use whatever the current blue on sale is for the "X number of Y level parts" requirement. Faster than any other method I've found. I've also never had higher than 350% or so on a bonus.

Sometimes I even upgrade spare trash Blues using my mountain of low grade Awakening items to make recycle fodder for new Purples.

So yes, if you give up absolutely everything else you could afford 2 gold parts in the current exchange by the time you had finished the achievements. 1 if you do pick up the other stuff. Play how you like, but I think that those Gold items are a total trap unless you get up to the 600% modifier.

Also, the freezing function does no damage and does not track the enemy. It just goes down where they were standing. If they get out somehow it does nothing to them. Getting the Gold version vs the Blue version should basically be no different outside of the stats it provides. The cooldown until first use, the cooldown until reuse, and the duration only get better if you fuse up same named parts to increase its trait/ability. This means you also have to buy all 15 available Blue versions because it will take that many to get the ability to max, at least. Most likely, given past experience 15 is sometimes not enough to max out a gold part. Your call, but I don't see a place for it in my build and the AI is really stupid about using skills.

I just like to keep one of every part as strong as possible, that way if something comes up for an event multiplier I don't have to worry so much.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 23, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zushio posted:

You just need six of each part to max it out the trait/ability on any given Blue part. I always buy any decals, paint jobs and gear parts available. As well as max out the trait on all the parts and pilots. Anything like a draw ticket becomes a priority. I see no point in buying any of the enhancement or Awakening items because the game rains them on you for completing event achievments. I have stacks of between 70 and 150 of everything but purples, of which I have 9 each right now. Also, if you want upgrade and Awakening items buy extra parts and sell them for Platinum Coins. Use those coins to buy the Awakening items for substantially cheaper. You also end up with a shitload of money and coins.

If I end up with extra coins I just roll them in to extra parts to sell. Currently sitting on almost 400 platinum coins, just under 10 million currency and 9000 Harobux. Sometimes, when I need gear parts, I just use whatever the current blue on sale is for the "X number of Y level parts" requirement. Faster than any other method I've found. I've also never had higher than 350% or so on a bonus.

Sometimes I even upgrade spare trash Blues using my mountain of low grade Awakening items to make recycle fodder for new Purples.

So yes, if you give up absolutely everything else you could afford 2 gold parts in the current exchange by the time you had finished the achievements. 1 if you do pick up the other stuff. Play how you like, but I think that those Gold items are a total trap unless you get up to the 600% modifier.

Also, the freezing function does no damage and does not track the enemy. It just goes down where they were standing. If they get out somehow it does nothing to them. Getting the Gold version vs the Blue version should basically be no different outside of the stats it provides. The cooldown until first use, the cooldown until reuse, and the duration only get better if you fuse up same named parts to increase its trait/ability. This means you also have to buy all 15 available Blue versions because it will take that many to get the ability to max, at least. Most likely, given past experience 15 is sometimes not enough to max out a gold part. Your call, but I don't see a place for it in my build and the AI is really stupid about using skills.

I just like to keep one of every part as strong as possible, that way if something comes up for an event multiplier I don't have to worry so much.

To add to this, pretty much everything on the Rozen Zulu is bad, which is a shame because the EX skills might be good for a shooter if the arms had more than actually no damage at all. The stats don't even end up elsewhere to make things interesting.

I think Bamco realized they gave up the goose a little too easily in the earlier events. My Gerbera Tetra is still getting use while I save up purple drops, since it has a good combination of word tags and semi-decent stats.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Zushio posted:

This looked like a fuckin' novel when I read it on my phone, haha. Thanks for the feedback. I won't bother with the Zulu backpack- I really just wanted to know if the freeze was any good.
How the hell do you have so much currency and Awakening Chips? I understand Plat coins, those things are fuckin useless except for buying 10 capsule tickets a month. But I'm perpetually broke in currency and Haros- do you have some kinda fuckin master plan and just don't invest in anything that doesn't conform to it? Like, if I had 9 pink chips (people can call them purple all the want; they're wrong) I'd upgrade my 3 best pink parts into golds.

But the line that got me was upgrading spare blues into purples to use as recycle fodder. I was not aware that was possible. I honestly thought recycle was only good for "take 3 spare Exia parts and recycle them and hope you get the Exia part you're missing, and not just another one of the ones you just recycled". And that only Natural 4*s worked on it. I need to rethink everything now, I guess. Or at very least read some kind of recycling guide written more recently than launch day.

Also: I just pulled Haman Karn from the daily pilot. Seems like a good get to me. Only natural 4* I had was Kou Uraki.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I have a one draw per banner rule, saves chips. And never pay for Pilot draws, that's also a trap since there is no prime pool. I only used Draw Tickets for them before the free daily draw. (Of course my first free draw was my first purple pilot, Bernie). The extra money is literally from buying out all the spare featured blues every event and selling them for Plat Coins. You get like 10k and 3 coins.

My main unit is all Gold and my 3 allies are all Purple now, and since my main unit can basically solo everything at this point I figured why waste resources. Parts need to be swapped constantly for events anyway. If I can get by with what I've got, I'm 100% holding on to extra to make my dream unit when I get the parts. Game is less than 90 days old, I'm in no hurry and if the Challenge From Ono description is to be believed they have plans to run this game for a decade. I'm not even level 100 yet and been playing daily since launch day.

Diet Poison posted:

But the line that got me was upgrading spare blues into purples to use as recycle fodder. I was not aware that was possible. I honestly thought recycle was only good for "take 3 spare Exia parts and recycle them and hope you get the Exia part you're missing, and not just another one of the ones you just recycled". And that only Natural 4*s worked on it. I need to rethink everything now, I guess. Or at very least read some kind of recycling guide written more recently than launch day.

Just ignore what I said actually, I made a mistake. The couple times I did that I must not have paid attention to what I got really, it absolutely works the way you say. That explains why I had extra bits to sell show up in my inventory that I had no recollection of. Sorry about that. While you can use Blue parts made Purple to recycle you will only get back a random part of the same unit. That still has isolated applications, like if you were missing a backpack of a Blue but had boatloads of everything else for it.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 23, 2019

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Zushio posted:

Just ignore what I said actually, I made a mistake. The couple times I did that I must not have paid attention to what I got really, it absolutely works the way you say. That explains why I had extra bits to sell show up in my inventory that I had no recollection of. Sorry about that. While you can use Blue parts made Purple to recycle you will only get back a random part of the same unit. That still has isolated applications, like if you were missing a backpack of a Blue but had boatloads of everything else for it.
Oh, too bad, thanks for the clarification anyway then. AFAICT the only use for recycle is, yeah, if you have literal shitloads of dupes you won't miss, cause if you have parts A, B, B, B, B, C, D, and need E, and you recycle 3 B's, your odds are as good as anything else that you'll get another B in return. Which is absolutely prickish of the devs. Like beyond normal prickishness for this genre of what is essentially a gambling game anyway.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zushio posted:

I have a one draw per banner rule, saves chips. And never pay for Pilot draws, that's also a trap since there is no prime pool. I only used Draw Tickets for them before the free daily draw. (Of course my first free draw was my first purple pilot, Bernie). The extra money is literally from buying out all the spare featured blues every event and selling them for Plat Coins. You get like 10k and 3 coins.

My main unit is all Gold and my 3 allies are all Purple now, and since my main unit can basically solo everything at this point I figured why waste resources. Parts need to be swapped constantly for events anyway. If I can get by with what I've got, I'm 100% holding on to extra to make my dream unit when I get the parts. Game is less than 90 days old, I'm in no hurry and if the Challenge From Ono description is to be believed they have plans to run this game for a decade. I'm not even level 100 yet and been playing daily since launch day.

I haven't been as disciplined with the first part, but it's a stance I've since adopted. I'm really looking to collect two full suits in particular--the Unicorn (me and everyone else, I know), and the Kshatryia. The latter has a chance of being an event suit, but the former will 100% be a Banner, and most likely a Sokai, suit. So I'm saving up the coins so that I'll have plenty in the bank to go Ahab when it shows up.

For the second, I realized this pretty recently, but since I was already focused primarily on upgrading one suit at a time, it worked in my favor. I'm building up one "carry suit" right now that can hard carry my booster suits through the event missions, and keeping a revolving tab of booster garbage. I have a handful of event based suits that I upgraded to purple for fleshing out for things like Ono challenges, but those aren't changing much, mostly since I can't get the parts needed to justify them (I'm augmenting with natural purples as I go for whatever the suit's primary job is).

Play conservatively. There's no need to try and max everything--the game doesn't have a "meta" yet, and if you save your resources, you'll be better positioned to jump on it if one ever does show up.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
So, has anyone gotten that multiplayer beta event to actually work? I’ve only seen other rooms listed maybe twice, and have never once been able to connect, or get something like “failed to create room” when I try on my own.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I've only managed to get in once. Every other time has been what you described. Hell, sometimes trying to enter a room breaks my connection and I have to reatart the app. They really need to cook this a little longer.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I swear I saw some tinfoil on Reddit about it working fine in Asia but not NA, which could be Reddit racism or it could be that they have some problems with the NA connections. I've stopped trying to play it, since there's no way I'd be able to get the number of rooms done to fill out the achievements without pulling my hair out at best.

On another note--they're putting two of my favorite suits out in the next pack! I'm side-eyeing my wallet because Kshatriya is my all time favorite suit.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

fartknocker posted:

So, has anyone gotten that multiplayer beta event to actually work? I’ve only seen other rooms listed maybe twice, and have never once been able to connect, or get something like “failed to create room” when I try on my own.

Nope, never gotten in. Personally I don't care 'cause multiplayer leads to squads which leads to having to support your squad which leads to me loving right off of a game.

Also just in case anyone didn't see it, someone on Reddit showed that a Power-type suit plus a maxed out DODS Rifle (the one you buy with Age coins, pretty unremarkable otherwise) plus Mikazuki as pilot leads to your initial EX skills being available pretty much instantly. Good for melee suits only, cause the shot atk on that rifle is crappy. But I definitely bought out 15 of the rifles so I can give it a try, once I get Mika, anyway.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I managed to host 5 on Normal. Was fun, but over in a flash. Hasn't worked at all since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So some enterprising Reddit user made a wonderful spreadsheet for theorycrafting gunpla: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z-Z9upx7RMQKuYR00AJxPpwqA1y_NsyxS4JxRZKt8pI/edit?usp=sharing

Link subject to change without notice--I discovered I need one more part to "perfect" my melee suit aside from the Red Frame Legs I was planning to get with my gold dust: the Talgeese EW backpack. That would give me more melee attack, the Close Combat tag, and perma Talgeese II buff at the cost of the Dual Saber Rush EX skill.