Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Name: Duncan Templeton
Alias: Domovoi
Archetype: Hound
Look: Man; Calm, Bony, Worn; Long coat, work trousers, tall boots
Heritage: Akoros
Background: Labor (the latest and likely last of the Templeton line to serve Mother Narya's house)
Vice / Purveyor: Faith (Solve the mystery of the fall of the Scurlock house and restore them to power)

Insight
Hunt ••
Study •
Survey ••
Tinker

Prowess
Finesse
Prowl •
Skirmish
Wreck

Resolve
Attune
Command
Consort
Sway •

Special Abilities
Focused: You may expend your special armor to resist a consequence of surprise or mental harm (fear, confusion, losing track of someone) or to push yourself for ranged combat or tracking.

Friends
▲ Melvir, a physicker. Tends to ramble on, but unquestionably talented at their craft. Has attended to Lady Narya in the past, as well as a number of other nobles.
▼ Steiner, an assassin. A pure mercenary who's made an attempt on Lady Narya's life before. Letting them get away is perhaps my personal greatest failure.

Templeton. A common family name that, at least for members of the nobility, was most closely associated with those devoted servants of the Scurlock house. Common-born as the Templeton lineage might have been, their centuries of unerring servitude to the Scurlocks, descendant after descendant, has earned them an unusual measure of respect and trust by their employing house. The aid of the ever loyal, ever steadfast Templetons has unquestionably contributed to the prosperity of the Scurlock house, though what form that aid has taken has varied over the many years. From menial tasks, to assistance in management, to handling the dirty deeds that every noble certainly committed but couldn't be traced back to, the Templetons were there every step of the way. Thus, it was all the more painful for Duncan and his family as the Six Towers district fell into relative disarray, and with it the fortunes and prestige of the Scurlock house.

"A series of unfortunate events," the public called it. Every investment, every contract, every deal made in both broad daylight and the shadows of night somehow turned to ash. Sudden storms as Scurlock ships sailed outward and inward. Inexplicable fires set to Scurlock warehouses. The still unsolved disappearance of Lady Scurlock. No matter how one looked at it, it must have been sabotage of some nature, yet no culprits were ever caught. For the Templetons, it would forever cause them pain and grief, perhaps even moreso than the Scurlocks themselves. Was it some kind of curse? Or karma for some of the more ambitious, and malicious actions of the two families in the past? It mattered not. What mattered was that everything the Templetons had worked for was collapsing around their eyes, and there seemed to be nothing that could be done about it. For a lineage devoted to centuries of service, there was no greater shame.

In the end, Lord Scurlock moved on from the tattered and worn Scurlock manor to greener pastures, taking an ailing Leonard Templeton with him. By all reports, the duo have done quite well for themselves since the migration, leaving many to speculate that it was a curse upon the manor itself that dragged the Scurlocks down. Yet two remain in the Six Towers district: Mother Narya Scurlock, mistress of the Arms of the Weeping Lady charity house, and Duncan Templeton. The niece, and the son. As shipments for and even attendants of the Weeping Lady continue to go missing, whatever 'misfortune' has fallen upon the Scurlock house continues to assail its last remaining descendant in Doskvol. Rather than being beaten down, however, the incidents only seem to drive the two forward to discover and be promptly rid of the source of this misfortune. Whatever it takes to restore the Scurlock name, Duncan tells himself.

To that end, Duncan Templeton, alias Domovoi, has taken to the streets of Duskvol. Though he and his family have had contact with the criminal underworld in the past, it is now that Duncan finds he must embrace it fully as the Scurlocks have few allies of note remaining, their misfortune driving away many the house called friend. While he does not expect any wealth earned to last, the connections that can only be found and made running these dirty deeds are what interests Duncan most.

Still thinking about this character, but would probably prefer Shadows or Hawkers.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Feedback: We've discussed a little the implications of Mother Narya and her being a Scurlock on Discord. You mention however the Lord Scurlock moving on from Doskvol, which isn't entirely accurate. Lord Scurlock is said to be an immortal, obsessed with the occult, and actually individually represents a faction within the Underworld due to his power. This makes the idea of a family curse even more compelling since Scurlock is canonically bound to the terrible demon Setarra. Leonard being his servant would be a good hook, but might require some adjustment. What is his relation to Narya? Is she a niece, a granddaughter? Some minor thoughts to fill in.

Discussed this in the Discord, but whoops, totally hadn't realized Lord Scurlock was basically meant to be this setting's Dracula. In that case, my first idea is still to have Leonard as Duncan's father, but similarly Leonard might be thought to be an immortal, as he and Lord Scurlock have been by each other's side as long as anyone can remember. As such, while Duncan listens to his father due to blood and duty, there is also a sense of something more dangerously occult that pushes him to obey. With regards to Mother Narya, I did originally intend for her to be Lord Scurlock's niece, but after learning that Lord Scurlock has more power/relevance than I realized, I think I better like the idea that she has a more direct connection to Scurlock's bloodline as his granddaughter, and the Lady Scurlock that disappeared could be Narya's mother/Lord Scurlock's daughter.

quote:

With an anecdote, tell us when your character realized they needed a crew. Maybe it was a score they tried to put on that was bad. Maybe it was something more introspective, but there was a moment where it clicked that you needed to band together. It's possible this isn't the first crew or gang you've run along with, and maybe you even had partnerships (potentially with other PCs, we'll have a chance to build on those connections later) with individuals, but you've never really been a "founder" before of a real venture. This is something special, so tell us what brought your character to that decision and how they look at it.

"Whatever it took to restore the Scurlock name." That was what I swore, to myself and to Lady Narya. Yet what I could accomplish on my own was limited. Financially, much of the resources that Lady Narya had access to was dedicated to the upkeep of the Weeping Lady and what remained of the once glorious Scurlock manor. Even if there was more coin to go around, using Scurlock resources recklessly could cause unnecessary attention and trouble to be drawn back to Lady Narya. An unacceptable outcome, but I had little finances of my own to work off of. And though I had been trained in observation, investigation, and sharpshooting to safeguard my charge, that left two important gaps I deemed necessary for my current goal: communication, and knowledge of the occult. I had other weaknesses, of course. But for discovering the truth behind the fall of the Scurlock house, dealing with people and arcane beings were both skills I almost certainly needed on hand.

Extra hands were necessary, that much was clear, but they could not be just any set of hands. I have heard the whispers of what few servants remain under Lady Narya's employ, even as they try to shield it from me. That they remain only because the mistress is kind, and that while the pay is meager, the alternatives are worse, or nonexistent. There is no loyalty there, save for a mercenary interest in coin and self-preservation. Not that I spite them for such thoughts. So long as they performed their menial duties, their motivations were irrelevant to me. But whatever forces I pursued were unquestionably powerful, if they could enact a curse potent enough to bring down a house as prominent as the Scurlocks. And such powerful forces could easily sway those with mercenary interests to their side, or sweep them away entirely. What I needed was not only capable allies, but ones with ambitions greater than making enough coin to make it through the day. Ambitions that, if not serving in Lady Narya's best interests, could at the least be relied upon to not abandon or betray at the first sight of real trouble. A tenuous, dangerous form of trust, if it could be called that. But as I doubt there is any other as devoted to Lady Narya's well-being as I am, it was the best I assumed to find.

quote:

Describe a score the crew might undertake, and the role your character would play. It can be from your character's perspective, or more detached. It can be relatively simple and straightforward, or have many twists and turns along the way. The important thing to communicate is where you (and the character) would see themselves fitting in with a team dynamic. When the spotlight is on them, how do they perform? What is the one unique thing they bring to the crew that no one else quite has?

The simple part was waiting. It was difficult for some, it seemed, but patience was a virtue you learned quickly while dealing with nobility, even as a servant. At least here I was free to let loose a few shots if any fool attempted to double-cross or weasel out of a deal. And let loose I would, if that was needed. But if all things went well, it would be a quiet night, a night that would soon be forgotten. Of course, if all things went well, I wouldn't be here to begin with. So, I quietly checked the state of my pistols, even though I was well aware that they were as well-maintained as they could be. One hour to go before the other party was meant to arrive. Enough time to perform another scan of the area, ensure there wouldn't be any unwelcome surprises.

quote:

Prompt: Name those who you believe want Mother Narya dead. You have become something now of a bodyguard and hunter for the charitable Mother, who represents at base what seems to be a purely philanthropic institution but clearly has attracted the attention of those who would mean her harm. Does Domovoi blame the curse primarily? Or can he name specific names and people that they have encountered that are marked as dangerous, that he spends time tracking and tabs on during?

I will be the first to admit I know little of curses, or of the occult in general. I have attempted to investigate and dabble here and there, in the few occasions I have spare time, so that I might better protect Lady Narya, but it is more difficult than I anticipated to learn. As such, how much of the misfortune that has befallen her and the Scurlock house is due to some great curse, and how much is due to incompetence on the part of us Templetons, I cannot say. It would be simple to write off every failure as a matter outside of our control, but that is not true, is it? The Scurlocks have long had enemies in the shadow, working behind the scenes to bring us down and pull themselves ahead. Both the Bowmore and the Rowan houses had and still have land in the Six Towers district, and have been competitors with my lady's house for many generations. Despite that, I have my doubts either Bowman and Rowan are behind the curse that has brought the Scurlocks low. For one, our misfortune has hindered the Six Towers district's fortunes as a whole, causing great loss to all of our houses. I doubt the damages done to us would be worth the costs for either family. More likely it is some other noble house with a grudge against the Scurlocks in particular, who saw the damages to Bowmore and Rowan as a bonus.

That said, I am aware of the rumors surrounding both Lord Scurlock and my father both. The ones regarding immortality, that is. The criminal ones, well. The Scurlocks must prosper, and the Templetons do what they must to ensure it is so. But while I am not privy to all the details, I am not so foolish as to ignore the occultic whispers. There is a reason I am on edge whenever my father passes down orders, even if I intend to follow them regardless. With such whispers comes many new enemies, unusual ones. Politicians and assassins, I am familiar with, even if I confess I am not always successful in my dealings with them, as with failing to capture Steiner after their attempt on my lady's life. But there is something different about two that I have noticed as of late. One is a woman that calls herself Lucille, a regular face at the Weeping Lady. Tattered and grime-covered as she may be, there is no hiding her sharp eyes as she observes Lady Narya. I have considered eliminating her, but my lady seems to have taken a shine to this Lucille. and I am uncertain what her goals might be even after following her on multiple occasions. It would be unwise to be rid of her before learning more.

The other threat I have acknowledged I have even less information about, and it was only by chance that I learned of them. My lady had left a ring behind at the Weeping Lady, an heirloom of her mother, and I left to retrieve it. Along the way, I caught sight of a figure seemingly preparing to enter the building. Taken off-guard, it seems I was unable to fully hide my presence, and they noticed me before I could draw my pistol upon them. Though they fled, there was enough moonlight that evening for me to spot the bronze mask they were wearing, but little more detail. Afterwards, I thoroughly examined the Weeping Lady for any sign of foul play, but concluded that nothing was amiss or astray. I have yet to catch sight of that figure again, but it has been a constant concern of mine since.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 21, 2019