Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

the other day i googled “play doom 1 free” because i wanted to see what all the hype was about and i have no idea why people were so worried about this game back in the day.

the graphics are total rear end therefore zero immersion.

there was an option to aim with the mouse but it was so clunky i had to aim with the keyboard. this was difficult to get used to because i’d move with the arrow keys but to strafe i had to hold down the alt key while shooting with ctrl. maybe the original game had more keyboard options but since i was on a browser i did feel very limited

on top of all this, the game made me hella motion sick before i could even consider violent thoughts - it’s like the game was designed with the ludovico technique from a clockwork orange in mind except instead of beethoven or whatever the gently caress the guy listened to it was a beeping master of puppets-esque riff. after four levels i had to pause the game so i could lay down

i get one of the nerds from columbine was obsessed with this poo poo so that probably played a role with it, but aside from that idiot can any geezer goon explain to me what else made people so afraid of people being exposed to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

i don’t wanna hurt anyone i just wanna find this goddamn yellow key before i feel like i have to throw up again

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
a doom house?!?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
iddqd

idkfa

thread still sucks :shrug:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
It’s overrated, as is the new one. :smuggo:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Doom didn't directly cause the mass shootings. However, by subtly introducing the children to satanic imagery and themes it set them on a long, inevitable path of violence. While some merely violated their own bodies with pre-marital sex and homosexual relations, others, no less sick, were inspired to do a Columbine. Satanic infiltration of our youth has remained our biggest problem as a society for hundreds of years, but it has gotten especially bad since 1962s Engel v. Vitale decision banned prayer in school.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

i ended up finding one of the keys and one room had a swastika on the floor
some dumb rear end imagery in this game smh

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Rise Of The Triad was the real murder catalyst

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Dun nuh - dun nuh - dun nuh - dun nuh- duh nuh- duh nuuuuuuhhh

Dun nuh - dun nuh - dun nuh - dun nuh- duh nuh- duh nuuuuuuhhh

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

probalby because urban legends said that violent killers like the columbine shooters played the poo poo out of it and used it as a training tool

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
hey op heres a tip: you dont actually have to aim up or down if a monster is above/below you. Just aim in the right direction horizontally and fire and the game take care of the rest. have fun playing DOOM

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I didnt know this, but I was just reading in the other thread about Brutal Doom mod developer being a psycho nazi or something, so it's more to do with the community doing themselves in rather than the games themselves.

Here's the thing Im talking about : https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/2y23eb/the_brutal_doom_fiasco/

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

friendly 2 da void posted:

probalby because urban legends said that violent killers like the columbine shooters played the poo poo out of it and used it as a training tool

It taught me how to murder demons with a chaingun which came in handy during the hellrift incident of aught-two.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

hey op heres a tip: you dont actually have to aim up or down if a monster is above/below you. Just aim in the right direction horizontally and fire and the game take care of the rest. have fun playing DOOM

this is because DOOM is an incredibly accurate murder simulator and bullets irl are long vertical lines, as TFR will attest to

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I didnt know this, but I was just reading in the other thread about Brutal Doom mod developer being a psycho nazi or something, so it's more to do with the community doing themselves in rather than the games themselves.

Here's the thing Im talking about : https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/2y23eb/the_brutal_doom_fiasco/

possible comparison to bands that are alright but their fanbase is complete trash

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i cant wait to play the new doom i like the partes where you shoot the zombies and also the parts whwere you punchthem real hard and they explose!! (:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Macnult posted:

the other day i googled “play doom 1 free” because i wanted to see what all the hype was about and i have no idea why people were so worried about this game back in the day.

the graphics are total rear end therefore zero immersion.

there was an option to aim with the mouse but it was so clunky i had to aim with the keyboard. this was difficult to get used to because i’d move with the arrow keys but to strafe i had to hold down the alt key while shooting with ctrl. maybe the original game had more keyboard options but since i was on a browser i did feel very limited

on top of all this, the game made me hella motion sick before i could even consider violent thoughts - it’s like the game was designed with the ludovico technique from a clockwork orange in mind except instead of beethoven or whatever the gently caress the guy listened to it was a beeping master of puppets-esque riff. after four levels i had to pause the game so i could lay down

i get one of the nerds from columbine was obsessed with this poo poo so that probably played a role with it, but aside from that idiot can any geezer goon explain to me what else made people so afraid of people being exposed to this

Eric Harris named his shotgun "Arlene", after a character in the DOOM novels. He'd often fantasize about how great it would be if he could just walk around shooting people that he didn't like just like he does in DOOM.

So like, stop playing before you start shooting people irl.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

One of the guys who made Doom was supposed to make me his bitch but that was back in like 1998 and now it's 2019 and I'm STILL WAITING.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

doom was a lot more immersive and less motion sickness-y feeling if its one of the first fps games youve ever played as opposed to trying it after years of playing modern games

(but yes obviously the school shooter inspiration thing is dumb)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DOOM the game didn’t incite me to violence. Rather, it was the DOOM comic book. RIP AND TEAR!!!

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Hard to believe but blood in video games used to be highly shocking and unusual

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Those Sikk Riffs gently caress your dog up and get you overpsyched and then you both kick holes in the wall behind the computer desk

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

1redflag posted:

DOOM the game didn’t incite me to violence. Rather, it was the DOOM comic book. RIP AND TEAR!!!

HUGE

GUTS

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
It's human nature to be violent and awful. Look at the crusades/holocaust/every war ever and you can see examples of that. Video games wernt around back then, but yet we blame them now. Music, video games, movies and all other forms of entertainment. It's idiotic.

oh! Uhh...I mean! Make sure to click on all the walls OP! There's secret rooms with much needed ammo and health!

NEDM!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

1redflag posted:

But what about the movie?

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

It's human nature to be violent and awful. Look at the crusades/holocaust/every war ever and you can see examples of that. Video games wernt around back then, but yet we blame them now. Music, video games, movies and all other forms of entertainment. It's idiotic.

oh! Uhh...I mean! Make sure to click on all the walls OP! There's secret rooms with much needed ammo and health!

NEDM!

My son went to the Gladiator games and came home and killed the slave boy. Gladiators :argh:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

JEEVES420 posted:

But what about the movie?

What movie? :colbert:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Rad-daddio posted:

Eric Harris named his shotgun "Arlene", after a character in the DOOM novels. He'd often fantasize about how great it would be if he could just walk around shooting people that he didn't like just like he does in DOOM.

Hold up.

Doom has a novelization?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Rad-daddio posted:

this doesn’t add up; i’m only shooting enemies in doom because they’re trying to kill me. if i didn’t like them because they were dicks but otherwise harmless i’d just go about looking for keys and apologizing for getting spooked when i open a door and one of them is roaring in my face

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The Bramble posted:

Hold up.

Doom has a novelization?

A lot of them. Alright so I guess it's just three. Thought I remembered there being a lot more. A buddy of mine used to be real into them. I tried to read one once and eh...it's not good.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

JEEVES420 posted:

My son went to the Gladiator games and came home and killed the slave boy. Gladiators :argh:

OH GOD! NOooooooooo!

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

imagine going to a store and glazing over wonderful literature titles just to buy a dumb book that takes place in a first person shooter

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Macnult posted:

imagine going to a store and glazing over wonderful literature titles just to buy a dumb book that takes place in a first person shooter

Yeah I got no clue how my friend ever liked those books. He sang their praises though so I gave it a skeptical shot and surprise surprise it sucked. To be fair though we were pretty young.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Honky Dong Country posted:

A lot of them. Alright so I guess it's just three. Thought I remembered there being a lot more. A buddy of mine used to be real into them. I tried to read one once and eh...it's not good.

“If you decide to fire your chain gun, turn to page 2. If you decide to not fire your chain gun, turn to page 3.” *book has only 3 pages*

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

analyzing the colorful prose of Doom Guy, his vivid descriptions of running through toxic sludge to pick up armor + ammo

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

it devalues human life because if you die you can just respawn and continue your murder spree, you practice shooting at moving targets, it's got satanic imagery, you even invade the enemy's home in the final episode to continue slaughtering them

why couldn't they just add a bible weapon that let you befriend these poor, scared creatures that have been trapped in hell for centuries and just wanted to escape

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wizzanthos posted:

it devalues human life because if you die you can just respawn and continue your murder spree, you practice shooting at moving targets, it's got satanic imagery, you even invade the enemy's home in the final episode to continue slaughtering them

why couldn't they just add a bible weapon that let you befriend these poor, scared creatures that have been trapped in hell for centuries and just wanted to escape

man do i have the game for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_of_Virtue

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

lmao it says that game was supported still until 2014 godamn

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
in duke nukem you could pay strippers heh heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Macnult posted:

analyzing the colorful prose of Doom Guy, his vivid descriptions of running through toxic sludge to pick up armor + ammo

His name is Sarge :rolleyes: