Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Heretic and Hexen both own too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Honky Dong Country posted:

A lot of them. Alright so I guess it's just three. Thought I remembered there being a lot more. A buddy of mine used to be real into them. I tried to read one once and eh...it's not good.

"It's not good" is being too polite, the books were like using the portashitters at a music festival in the midwest, first time is what you expect and easy enough to deal with, by the end of the fourth it's an impossible to understand pile of poo poo that defies reason and physics and you regret turning down the LSD because maybe you'd understand it then, and you're wiping your rear end with the Book of Mormon, not the pages, you ran out of those already and you're making due with the cover.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Relayer posted:

in duke nukem you could pay strippers heh heh
hahah and he would say SHAKE IT BABY!!!!

then you could go take a PISS in a urinal

duke nukem 3d is the GOAT for sure

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

His name is Sarge :rolleyes:

when i think of Sarge i think of the green army man from Sarge’s Heroes, which is a believable name unlike one for the shifty-eyed at full health jarhead looking rear end

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if you blew up a bunch of pig cops he would say BLOW IT OUT YOUR rear end!!!!!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Mozi posted:

a doom house?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvbbrolCuNk

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://vimeo.com/22378082

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Macnult posted:

when i think of Sarge i think of the green army man from Sarge’s Heroes, which is a believable name unlike one for the shifty-eyed at full health jarhead looking rear end

In Quake 3 Arena, there is a default character named Sarge, who is grayhaired and has a cigar. That is the Doom guy, they decided on the name after the fact and made him old because by the time Q3A came out, Doom was old so the character should be aged too. Then in the Uwe Boll film Doom, the main character is named Sarge further confirming this. It is actually quite deep complex character lore you see.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

i get that this is gbs but this is really fucjed up

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

In Quake 3 Arena, there is a default character named Sarge, who is grayhaired and has a cigar. That is the Doom guy, they decided on the name after the fact and made him old because by the time Q3A came out, Doom was old so the character should be aged too. Then in the Uwe Boll film Doom, the main character is named Sarge further confirming this. It is actually quite deep complex character lore you see.

i never picked Doom Guy in Q3A because his grunting noises when he jumped were annoying af. i always preferred the skeleton with the funny bone jingling noises

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Macnult posted:

this doesn’t add up; i’m only shooting enemies in doom because they’re trying to kill me. if i didn’t like them because they were dicks but otherwise harmless i’d just go about looking for keys and apologizing for getting spooked when i open a door and one of them is roaring in my face

What they need is a DOOM mod where everyone sits down and calmly discuses their issues and all are able to arrive at a civil and well though out compromise. Maybe that demon was just having a bad day, and if you brought him some coffee and a bagel he'd stop being mad and thank you and he'd totally stick up for you at the next quarterly budget meeting.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The "actually mom it's not satanic because you're fighting against the demons" gambit actually worked for a hot minute until she saw the rivers of blood and corpses hanging from the ceiling.

When Columbine happened I didn't know you could make custom levels and I remember wondering what hosed up kind of school Klebold and Harris went to that they could train to shoot it up on E1M1 or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

When Columbine happened I didn't know you could make custom levels and I remember wondering what hosed up kind of school Klebold and Harris went to that they could train to shoot it up on E1M1 or whatever.

Pretty sure they actually made a doom map of their school, which coincidentally I also did in like 3rd grade of my elementary school, and I put a crushing ceiling in the cafeteria and put a mancubus in it that was supposed to be the lunch lady then me and my friends were like AWWWW take that!! then columbine happened followed by years of deep introspection

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Relayer posted:

Pretty sure they actually made a doom map of their school, which coincidentally I also did in like 3rd grade of my elementary school, and I put a crushing ceiling in the cafeteria and put a mancubus in it that was supposed to be the lunch lady then me and my friends were like AWWWW take that!! then columbine happened followed by years of deep introspection

That's always been my gut feeling too. Lots of people made map mods of their school in various other games, mostly because they knew the layout by heart and it was easy to do. There was a kid who got in trouble back in 2004 for making a CS map of his HS also in Colorado.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Thankfully I work in an open office so I can RP slaughtering my colleagues in any game that has an arena

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

you go to hell and you die!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

If doom turns people into killers IRL then how come all the anime dating sims I play every day haven’t landed me any dates with buxom schoolgirls IRL. Explain that, op.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Relayer posted:

I did the same thing a couple of years later once I knew what was up. I'm pretty sure anyone whose school years overlapped with Doom did.

School layouts leant themselves really well to Doom's play-style, lots of long corridors and small rooms for plinking mixed with big open areas like cafeterias where you could put the big bads. Mine had a Spider Mastermind in the gym.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Well OP you've been misinformed, the concern was more about video game makers preying on children without oversight and in a way that actively avoided parental oversight since shareware could be downloaded for free anywhere. It's just that gamers are gigantic children who see any criticism as a personal attack so they deliberately mischaracterized it, a tactic they continue to this very day whenever they clutch pearls about how not having white male protagonists in every game is censorship.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Well OP you've been misinformed, the concern was more about video game makers preying on children without oversight and in a way that actively avoided parental oversight since shareware could be downloaded for free anywhere. It's just that gamers are gigantic children who see any criticism as a personal attack so they deliberately mischaracterized it, a tactic they continue to this very day whenever they clutch pearls about how not having white male protagonists in every game is censorship.

Lol yeah nobody has ever said that they directly inspire violence, not once. It's not like that was the entire message of the right wing lunatics of the 90's. There were multiple concerns, but let's pretend it was just one and then call people "gigantic children" like some stuffy nancy reagan.

And the original beef was over like night trap and mortal kombat, which did not have sharewarez

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Having never played computer games, confused elderly were quick to assume that violent games inspired violence, or at the very least hoped they did!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Relayer posted:

Lol yeah nobody has ever said that they directly inspire violence, not once. It's not like that was the entire message of the right wing lunatics of the 90's. There were multiple concerns, but let's pretend it was just one and then call people "gigantic children" like some stuffy nancy reagan.

And the original beef was over like night trap and mortal kombat, which did not have sharewarez

lol Night Trap. Goddamn game should've been outlawed bc it was so terrible.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

All that right wing concern trolling over video games the first time around was actually pretty great advertising. The GTA games must’ve gotten a pretty big sales boost out of it, at least.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Bad Purchase posted:

All that right wing concern trolling over video games the first time around was actually pretty great advertising. The GTA games must’ve gotten a pretty big sales boost out of it, at least.

Professional loon Jack Thompson made (and ended) a career of it.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people who dont play video games suck. definitely shouldnt be allowed to govern. would you let someone govern who says i never read books. i never watch movies. i never listen to music. hell no

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When you teach children and dumb young adults that murderous violence is the only way solve problems, you reap what you sow.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

I feel pretty incited to violence rn

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel Cancer posted:

When you teach children and dumb young adults that murderous violence is the only way solve problems, you reap what you sow.

i guess we should cancel war then

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Colonel Cancer posted:

I agree, we should disband the armed services and law enforcement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bad Purchase posted:

If doom turns people into killers IRL then how come all the anime dating sims I play every day haven’t landed me any dates with buxom schoolgirls IRL. Explain that, op.

Dating schoolgirls would be pedophilia.

You should only fantasize about dating buxom anime babes that are clearly 18+ years of age to the eye.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Bad Purchase posted:

Chomp8645 posted:

Dating schoolgirls would be pedophilia.

Pretty sure playing those games puts you on a pedo watchlist of some kind, regardless, so I'd say that's close enough.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

No, that can’t be right. Steam wouldn’t sell thousands of anime dating sims if the content catered to pedophiles. You must be mistaken!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I talked to the doom guy he is real and he told me to kill my famil

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
You can go ahead and ban all violent video games, but you'll need to provide me with an alternate means of ramping a scooter off of a dead hooker.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sleeveless posted:

jack thompson once called me on my personal cell phone at seven in the goddamn morning so i feel pretty qualified to tell you that you're totally full of poo poo

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVQ3-Xe_suY

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

food court bailiff posted:

jack thompson once called me on my personal cell phone at seven in the goddamn morning so i feel pretty qualified to tell you that you're totally full of poo poo

Ahaha how did that go? What was the context?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I saw the imp guys butt and got all horney and also it made me gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Giant_Pupils posted:

Ahaha how did that go? What was the context?

i didn't pick up, it was jack thompson and i had no desire to get yelled at by a psycho at 7 in the morning

it was fifteen years ago when he was doing his biggest tirades and calling everyone he thought was vaguely involved with the murder simulator industry, posting his phone number with every single post he made on a forum arguing with people - which he did a lot of, because he was insane. his phone number had 666 in it which made it easy to recognize and also was pretty fitting.