Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
CSB- did they up-rate the GVWR on the truck? Someone here had that done before, legally. Looks like good work and I know the feeling about not trusting others to touch my poo poo.

Ilkhan waiting on buying a truck and a camper is a wise move I think. When we priced GD fifth wheels in 2019 the dealer quoted us $44k off sticker on a 2020 377MBS. $7k of that was trade. That 390 we walked through but I was too tall. When we actually bought in august of 2020 that discount shrunk to $39k. Albeit on a different make:model but similar price range. Today people are paying MSRP. I would like to think that will end at some point. Same with trucks. I paid $49k off the dealer lot for mine in aug of 2018. Coworker just paid $51k for a used 2018 GMC half ton SLT. Prices are still jacked up and the market always corrects itself. I read somewhere that tsmc was switching to automotive type chip making at the expense of cell phones but time will tell. Stock market is due as well. Good luck either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

CSB- did they up-rate the GVWR on the truck? Someone here had that done before, legally. Looks like good work and I know the feeling about not trusting others to touch my poo poo.

Yeah I remember that! It was awesome but these guys didn't do that. Pretty sure they can though.
Its something I can file with the dmv/state myself. Wherever I land next I'll file the paperwork for it. (pretty much just pay the state more money unless its CA, then retrofits($$$$$) get involved)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Roughed it smoothly last week. Went as support leader for a youth group my wife is involved in. We camped at a reserved but large site in Weber County, Utah (kind of north-ish. It was East of the Ben Lomond/Willard Peak). Pretty nice site, I have not really spent much time exploring around there. It is about an hour and a half drive and is part of the dark sky coalition which would have been great except for the nearly full moon.

Leveling blocks are everything.

Really nice views

wild flowers still in bloom

One of the stranger things; a big pine full of turkey vultures. I was wishing I had more reach than my full framed camera with my 20-70mm F4 Zoom. This was earlier in the morning. There are eight in this tree, but they were fanning out their wings and kind of sun bathing. I had never seen this before. There were a few more circling overhead as well.

I also dragged the Bean down to my in-laws this weekend for "Pioneer Day" (the day when the Pioneer's entered the Salt Lake Valley). My in-laws place is not really big enough to accommodate all my inlaws/nieces/nephews. They live in a more rural town and have a good sized yard. It was so much easier to just have our own sleeping space and kitchen for food prep. My wife is diagnosed celiac so cooking/storing/transporting food always is tricky but not this time. A+ would Bean again.

In other news; Bean announced a new level/model. The "Black Bean" and it has my loins tingly and jealous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hs0-42Fxg

It is too tall for my garage which is why I didn't get the Meaner Bean but man this thing is awesome. Also fun is getting into it with some weenie in the comments. Best part is that he called me a "snowflake" but edited his comment and removed it after he recognized his weak burn.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
hold me closer, tiny camper

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why the heck is every camper and RV covered in weird Newport swooshes and boomerangs and poo poo?

Like the design on my rpod has a section of the decal that gets bisected by a window and then they took the time to continue the decal for all of 4" after the window stops being in the way. Like it matters if the swoosh continues that far or not.

It'd be cool to remove them but I'm worried it will end up looking really bad with ghosting unless I paint it or something.

That said, I love my canoeing frog decal.

I'm gonna take this thing down to Oregon and have my tattoo artist buddy do him up with sharpies.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

In the UK if you're converting a van or whatever into a camper/RV and want the registration changed to reflect that one of the criteria is that it must have that style of graphics. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why the heck is every camper and RV covered in weird Newport swooshes and boomerangs and poo poo?

Like the design on my rpod has a section of the decal that gets bisected by a window and then they took the time to continue the decal for all of 4" after the window stops being in the way. Like it matters if the swoosh continues that far or not.

It'd be cool to remove them but I'm worried it will end up looking really bad with ghosting unless I paint it or something.

That said, I love my canoeing frog decal.

I'm gonna take this thing down to Oregon and have my tattoo artist buddy do him up with sharpies.

If its gelcoat fiberglass under the decals you can remove them and buff with a wool pad and some compound to remove any ghosting.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If its oxidized you can use gelcoat cutting compounds for boats to bring some of it back. I spent 3-4 days cutting/polishing mine last year after spending a couple weeks peeling the old decals off.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Roughed it smoothly last week. Went as support leader for a youth group my wife is involved in. We camped at a reserved but large site in Weber County, Utah (kind of north-ish. It was East of the Ben Lomond/Willard Peak). Pretty nice site, I have not really spent much time exploring around there. It is about an hour and a half drive and is part of the dark sky coalition which would have been great except for the nearly full moon.

Leveling blocks are everything.

That is a really slick trailer! I especially like the rooftop tent, super clever way to expand your living area. Same with the flip out kitchen in the clamshell, I was pretty enamored with that on the Nucamps too. Would you have the option to take the trailer back to Bean and have them retrofit any of the new features you liked on the meaner bean?

How far off the trail do you usually take the trailer? Utah seems like it would be perfect for that with all the BLM land

Is this you?

Also that frog decal is incredible… my gf got a tattoo last week and the artist had a drawing of a frog playing a banjo I’m super tempted to get

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 29, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

CaptainTofu posted:

In the UK if you're converting a van or whatever into a camper/RV and want the registration changed to reflect that one of the criteria is that it must have that style of graphics. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'm trying to find info on this and I can't find this claim specifically but I did find this

https://mowgli-adventures.com/dvla-campervan-conversion/

Seems like a lot of work.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

They cover it in this line:

'motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle'

Reality is that most people don't bother any more unless they're doing a factory style conversion.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CaptainTofu posted:

They cover it in this line:

'motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle'

Reality is that most people don't bother any more unless they're doing a factory style conversion.

I think this is the only correct interpretation of that line

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 29, 2021

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Would have also accepted a wizard.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

No argument from me. The world would be a better place if that's how motorhomes were painted.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

OSU_Matthew posted:

That is a really slick trailer! I especially like the rooftop tent, super clever way to expand your living area. Same with the flip out kitchen in the clamshell, I was pretty enamored with that on the Nucamps too. Would you have the option to take the trailer back to Bean and have them retrofit any of the new features you liked on the meaner bean?

How far off the trail do you usually take the trailer? Utah seems like it would be perfect for that with all the BLM land

The Roof Tent is so great. Bean does offer a lot of things you can go back and "upgrade" if you want but not everything can be changed over. The frame is totally different as I understand for the suspension so I don't think I can get the Timbren on there without major surgery probably done at some fabrication shop. Other stuff like the propane heater, or instant hot water can be done. I think for the galley kitchen you are pretty well stuck with what you choose at the time of building. To be fair I did option out the Bean pretty heavily. The only thing I would consider adding would be the heater. I have a Buddy Heater though so I might give that a shot first. I don't think I will be spending much time in winter camping but who knows? Moab gets cold but stays clear most winters and I want to get down there when the temperature isn't Surface Of SunTM.

My first trip out with the boys I took it up a very steep/rocky hill that required 4 low and I have taken it on some very tight trails. The photo I have posted in front of that tunnel was pretty tricky but it handled great. I need to get more practice and mileage on it before I start getting more crazy. I think an axe or hatchet is on my short list of things to add if I encounter low hanging branches or trees on some of the forest road trails. I have taken it places that a "normal" trailer cannot get and that was exactly what I wanted out of this.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to say I've only read the OP, but I'm too desperate to let someone know we've just spent our first night away in our 1993 Toyota HiAce! Woop woop!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Megabook posted:

Sorry to say I've only read the OP, but I'm too desperate to let someone know we've just spent our first night away in our 1993 Toyota HiAce! Woop woop!

What, you're not gonna invite us inside? This thing is :krad:, I'd love to see some more shots if you got 'em! How'd you come into that vehicle?

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

djfooboo posted:

You can store a lot of microwave popcorn in that space now!

No loss. Stove cooked popcorn tastes better :colbert:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In other news; Bean announced a new level/model. The "Black Bean" and it has my loins tingly and jealous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hs0-42Fxg

It is too tall for my garage which is why I didn't get the Meaner Bean but man this thing is awesome. Also fun is getting into it with some weenie in the comments. Best part is that he called me a "snowflake" but edited his comment and removed it after he recognized his weak burn.

This thing is super cool even though I'll never be in a place in my life where I'd use one. 20" of clearance is so badass.

Also: the fact that he did this in a single take gave me a weird sense of anxiety.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Megabook posted:

You gotta post a lot more details on this, don't leave us hanging like that!

Small reminder, if you're tired and pulling into camp late. Try to not out drive your headlamps.

Guy found the only sand in this lot and fully sent it till about 11pm digging it deeper and deeper. Had no issue dragging them out with the winch.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Finally got around to installing a new stereo in my camper because the one it came with was like 6W per channel and sounded like absolute poo poo.

The new one doesn't have any features the old one didn't have but it does have 50W per channel so it can actually drive the speakers.

The other difference is that the unit I removed weighed like 2lbs and the one I installed was like 5-6lbs. Camper manufacturers shave pounds wherever they can.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Finally got around to installing a new stereo in my camper because the one it came with was like 6W per channel and sounded like absolute poo poo.

The new one doesn't have any features the old one didn't have but it does have 50W per channel so it can actually drive the speakers.

The other difference is that the unit I removed weighed like 2lbs and the one I installed was like 5-6lbs. Camper manufacturers shave pounds wherever they can.

*turns RV into a Db racer*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

therobit posted:

*turns RV into a Db racer*

Like I get it, you want it to be light as heck. That's why you use the thinnest plywood for the bunks and the lightest paneling for the kitchen cabinets and the cheapest plastic strike plates you can find for the switches.

But the trade-off in quality of using this piece of garbage Jensen JWM6A stereo vs something like a Pyle PLRVST400 is astounding.

You can even go steps further and get a legit car stereo but I didn't want to have to cut a custom mount for it. This one just dropped right in.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Honestly dude I have so many other things to fix up on my newly purchased rattle trap that I’m just not there yet. But tunes ARE important and good for you for upgrading your system.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I've got a line on a '99 25' Bluebird on Freightliner with a 5.9 Cummins through a sailing buddy. Negotiating price currently but if he wants to get rid of it as badly as has been indicated to me....
https://imgur.com/a/VT6BeXu

It'd be the perfect size to tow sailboats <5k pounds, 5 crew, our gear and have room for cots, lots of solar and an on-side awning. Maybe even figure out how to affix a honda genset under there...super excited.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Will you be raising the roof?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Find out what transmission it has. the AT545 is kind of a dog, even behind a 12 valve. The MT643 is a lot better suited for a conversion. Main difference is that the MT643 has a locking torque converter and its gvwr rating is a lot higher. Both will tow botes and crews just fine.

Shortie will own. Are you keeping the lift/side door?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

You gotta post a lot more details on this, don't leave us hanging like that!
I will make a proper post at some point when I've taken some pictures.

My wife and I have had a few crappy years, so we decided being able to escape some of the time might be good. It was pretty much the cheapest professionally converted van we could find locally. We looked at some VW T2s and T3s but for the same money they were utter crap. It was imported to the UK from Japan, I'm not sure if they were converted here or there.

Our van is a 3L NA diesel with a 2WD 4 speed auto. The engine is under the passenger seats so it makes really good use of it's 5ish meter length. It cruises happily at 55 and will do 70 if you really want, but it's ok to drive. Mechanically and structurally it's in great condition, but it does need a belt of welding around the windscreen and a few other places.

It has a rock and roll sofa bed, two chairs, pop top to sleep 2 small people, cooker, sink, fridge, electric hook-up. It's a pretty cool little van :).

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

Find out what transmission it has. the AT545 is kind of a dog, even behind a 12 valve. The MT643 is a lot better suited for a conversion. Main difference is that the MT643 has a locking torque converter and its gvwr rating is a lot higher. Both will tow botes and crews just fine.

Shortie will own. Are you keeping the lift/side door?

You mean the Keg door? and/or the lifting heavy-rear end foils up to the storage area door? :D

Good call, need to go take a look at it yet, its on the other side of Atlanta by about an hour and half but I can get a VIN.

e: CSB I'm pretty sure its an ISV 24v.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 23, 2021

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Crunchy Black posted:

You mean the Keg door? and/or the lifting heavy-rear end foils up to the storage area door? :D

Good call, need to go take a look at it yet, its on the other side of Atlanta by about an hour and half but I can get a VIN.

e: CSB I'm pretty sure its an ISV 24v.

ISB 5.9 24v. The acronyms CSB dropped refer to the transmission options. Its some form of allison automatic, with one being better than the other because the converter locks. Based on the age of that bus however I am going with the 545.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there a separate thread for solar panels?

I have a 12v SAE plug on my camper but I need to get a charge controller for it. If I have a 100W panel which one should I get?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

rdb posted:

ISB 5.9 24v. The acronyms CSB dropped refer to the transmission options. Its some form of allison automatic, with one being better than the other because the converter locks. Based on the age of that bus however I am going with the 545.

Ah, I got my PMs and posts mixed up, but thanks for the clarification.

Is there a separate thread for solar panels?

I have a 12v SAE plug on my camper but I need to get a charge controller for it. If I have a 100W panel which one should I get?

Hrm. This would be a new one for me, have pics?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
any MPPT more or less. I've a few friends with Renogy's offerings and another with Epever Trace 40A MPPT units. I'm running Victron hardware though its a little pricier.

Kind of quasi on topic. I was asked for a schematic of my system, here's two different views. Basically any 30A system can clone parts of this and work just fine, 50A service or 24/48V energy storage would need a little reconfiguring but the idea is still basically the same. I tried to make it as much of a block diagram as possible so that sections of it can be broken out and repurposed by others for their builds. I'm more than happy to draw up schematics for someone.

Some things aren't pictured, the Victron Inverter has an internal transfer switch (so there's two totall) and common/earth grounding for the 120V leg are givens.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I had this sucker in my camper van with a 100w panel and room for more: http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/solar-charger-controller.html

rock solid (PWM is simple), very customizable, well documented.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lol does anyone know anybody with one of these:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42150/if-you-need-a-wheeled-trailer-hitch-you-might-be-towing-too-much

It looks sketchy as gently caress.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well I'd think so, I don't see a hitch pin between the car's tube and whatever that device is called. There's one further rear, between the device and the ball hitch, but that's the only one I can see

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Lol does anyone know anybody with one of these:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42150/if-you-need-a-wheeled-trailer-hitch-you-might-be-towing-too-much

It looks sketchy as gently caress.

It's like someone saw a trailer dolly that let's you move trailers around without hooking up and got some bright ideas. I wonder what speeds that wheel is rated for because a lot of the small trailer tires like to blow up over 60mph.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Atticus_1354 posted:

It's like someone saw a trailer dolly that let's you move trailers around without hooking up and got some bright ideas. I wonder what speeds that wheel is rated for because a lot of the small trailer tires like to blow up over 60mph.

If the wheel doesn't give, the hub mounted in single shear and small bearings will.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Same idea, larger scale:

https://www.safetytowingsystems.com/

I think this is a lot less wrong because it's built with actual truck and trailer parts but it still doesn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

wolrah posted:

Same idea, larger scale:

https://www.safetytowingsystems.com/

I think this is a lot less wrong because it's built with actual truck and trailer parts but it still doesn't feel right.

That's just the same idea as a jeep axle for an 18wheeler. The idea is fine. It's more the execution and scale that are the problem.