Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

What

Hoooooooooowww? ?!?!

I thought that only happened with houses.

House on wheels man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

everdave posted:

Hi Ace camper has beautiful wood floors underneath the old rear end linoleum!

Is this one you're selling or are you keeping it for personal use promoting your import business?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

therobit posted:

Is this one you're selling or are you keeping it for personal use promoting your import business?

I am selling this one eventually, I have a bunch of campers coming in. I bought this originally to keep with no plans to buy other campers. But then I kept at it and kept bidding and found some other great deals. But I want to keep everything! I can find a reason to want to keep everything I have ha.

But after yesterday and seeing this one with the wood floors...going to make it tougher to let go...man it is a nice layout in there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

everdave posted:

I am selling this one eventually, I have a bunch of campers coming in. I bought this originally to keep with no plans to buy other campers. But then I kept at it and kept bidding and found some other great deals. But I want to keep everything! I can find a reason to want to keep everything I have ha.

But after yesterday and seeing this one with the wood floors...going to make it tougher to let go...man it is a nice layout in there.

Video, man. Give us a walkthrough.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So about 2 weeks before Covid-19 really started to screw things up around here, we bought ourselves a 2012 Rockwood Freedom 2280BH.

We were lucky and found one that was sold "just add clothes, bedding and dishes". CAD$7500 + tax & insurance got me the trailer, a reciever with sway bars, Lynx Levellers (lots of pads), truck box on the front, plastic jerry can for waste water, drinking water tube, extra filters, pressure regulator, lithium grease, a furiously useful tailgate organiser that was hanging in there, barbecue, pool noodles for the awning bars, drill insert adapter for the stabilizer jacks, surge protector, 15amp to 30amp converter... that's all I can think of for now.

Our Pilot was still breaking in so I had to get some friends to help me get it home (two friends because it turns out a Tundra was just too big for our underground garage).

Of course, the only actual action it's seen is pretend camping in a friends' driveway.

Two questions... but before I do, I wanted to point out I have googled them, but wow is this subject a rabbithole on there. Many forums, quite a lot of jargon and not as many plain language explainers as I'd have liked.

Firstly, I've got dual propane tanks on there, 20lb ones. Costco currently have their seasonal 30lb ones in stock and my existing 20lb ones are running out of lifespan. Height should be fine. Seems like a no brainer until I think about if there is any weight limit on the trailer tongue? I don't know if there is a weight limit there, much less how close I am to it. I do know that one of the propane tanks is an aftermarket addition so at least some of that capacity (whatever it is) has been used. This also affects if I can fit a bigger deep cycle battery on there too.

Secondly, what do people have in their toolkits they take out with them? Googling that seems to indicate socket set, screwdriver with square/robertson bits, duct tape, cable ties, pliers, locking pliers, groove joint pliers, tape measure ideally longer than the trailer itself to measure sites, multimeter (anyone got a small thin one that can fit in a tool roll?), PFTE tape to stop leaking taps, WD40, adjustable wrench, drill with insert to lower the stabiliser jacks, level and bonus points for a tyre inflator.

Edit: added tools

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 18, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The weight limits of all parts of the trailer should be posted somewhere in the trailer, check on the inside hinge of the door, or in the footwell.

Toolkits are handy to have, but unless you're familiar with doing electrical stuff, I dont know why you'd want a multimeter on hand. I'm fairly spoiled having the extremely handy dad bucket a phone call away at all times though.

Oh, definitely have gloves in the tool kit. That's my only real advice.

Super cute trailer though, that's about the direction I'm heading in. Popups are great! My parents first camper was a pop-up, they are such a great introduction to the RV life. I have a lot of really fond memories of our pop-up, I think we had that till I was 5. Then we 'upgraded' to a 1960's era Ford chassis Shasta we affectionately called Bacon Butt for it's unfortunate 60's color scheme. Loved that thing.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 19, 2020

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well I've got the weight limits from the door stickers on both vehicles but can't find anything to indicate what the trailer can take on the tongue. The Pilot can take a fairly typical 10% of Max towing weight (5000lb so 500lb on the tongue). However, it's not a 1-1 relationship between adding weight on the tongue (i.e. structure) and increase in the tongue weight (i.e. as transferred through the hitch). Trailer should be fine as it's only using ~100lb max of an ~800lb cargo carrying capacity.

The family we bought it off were sincerely sad to see it go and mentioned just how many fun times they had in it much as you did. We bought it as we have a kid now and car camping seemed a bit much. It does also occur to me that, since it fits neatly in normal parking space, basically when we go camping we live in a parking space.

Should have mentioned the gloves! They were my first purchase. Zip ties too. Also I found AmazonBasics has water filters so treated myself. I'll admit I disagree on the multimeter necessity as I've used it almost every time I've been in the thing so far. Even for a quick battery diagnosis it's worth it.

That brings my train of thought to LED lights. I've purchased some "looks ok" brand ones on Amazon, but did anyone have a better approach to that? (Again, did Google etc but nothing conclusive came up beyond that plan).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Social distancing summer vacation honeymoon is a GO! We're going to camp 2 nights near Lancaster, then 2 in Ithica at Buttermilk Falls, then 1 night in Niagara (it is the law, all newlyweds in the tri state area must sacrifice to the waterfall god), then 2 in Lake George, then 2 in the Mt Washington region. Then boogie on home through Mass to pick up souvenirs and get home before 4th of July madness.

We did not end up getting an awning, because we got a SCREAMING deal on a Gazelle tent. Gazelle makes amazing portable structures, I've camped in the screen room they have. The tents are heavy, but set up in half a minute and are rock solid. Perfect for truck camping.

May my tent camping body be used as Traction by a Superior Vehicle

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
YAY! I had no idea that a new RV thread was made. There was a long abandoned one in AI or here. We currently have an almost 20 year old (5 years with us) 19ish foot pop-up with two kings and a slide out that has suited my family (wife and I and three boys) but we're itching to upgrade. Not necessarily for space, as we spend the vast majority of our time OUTSIDE the trailer when we camp, but it's age is showing and I'm sick of taking it up and down over and over again and have a fear in the back of my head that things break or wear out. Which is absolutely true when I left a magnetic flashlight on the ceiling and brought the top down and it absolutely impaled one of my countertops.

Here's my dilemma. I nearly refuse to change out my vehicle for towing, but I also have a 5 person family that makes it difficult for us to sleep comfortably in many of the hard sides that are under our weight limit. I drive a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited AWD that has a rating of 5,000 pounds. I estimate that with all of cargo and such I'd need something with a dry weight of 3,500 to be safe. We live in Michigan and camp mostly locally, so not looking like we'll be towing in any mountain areas, but big hills do exist in Northern Michigan. I'd consider moving up to a larger SUV that can tow more (Expedition, Yukon) but real hard to justify a $40k-50k vehicle when the Explorer does just fine for our family right now. The Durango line can tow an insane amount, but no 3 row seating and my boys are assholes and cannot sit in one row.

I never know who to believe in what you can actually tow. We have friends who had the exact same Explorer as a lease many years ago and towed something with a dry weight in the 5,500-6,000 range and said that they had no problems. But it was a lease and god knows what happened to that engine or if they dodged a hundred bullets safety wise.

I have been eyeing some hybrids as the Apex Nano 20x has a dry weight of 3,500 and 3 Queen beds. No fancy outdoor fridges or anything, but that's just fine for us despite a perk which would be nice to have. I have it stuck in my head though that something with canvas on the outside that pops out is not going to sustain over time as a straight up hard side travel trailer. Trying to get that out of my head though as our pop-up is 20 years old and still holding strong.

So, long story short, thanks for listening to my rant. Any ideas or experience with what I should be looking at for my next trailer given the above constraints?

Thanks!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TraderStav posted:

YAY! I had no idea that a new RV thread was made. There was a long abandoned one in AI or here. We currently have an almost 20 year old (5 years with us) 19ish foot pop-up with two kings and a slide out that has suited my family (wife and I and three boys) but we're itching to upgrade. Not necessarily for space, as we spend the vast majority of our time OUTSIDE the trailer when we camp, but it's age is showing and I'm sick of taking it up and down over and over again and have a fear in the back of my head that things break or wear out. Which is absolutely true when I left a magnetic flashlight on the ceiling and brought the top down and it absolutely impaled one of my countertops.

Here's my dilemma. I nearly refuse to change out my vehicle for towing, but I also have a 5 person family that makes it difficult for us to sleep comfortably in many of the hard sides that are under our weight limit. I drive a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited AWD that has a rating of 5,000 pounds. I estimate that with all of cargo and such I'd need something with a dry weight of 3,500 to be safe. We live in Michigan and camp mostly locally, so not looking like we'll be towing in any mountain areas, but big hills do exist in Northern Michigan. I'd consider moving up to a larger SUV that can tow more (Expedition, Yukon) but real hard to justify a $40k-50k vehicle when the Explorer does just fine for our family right now. The Durango line can tow an insane amount, but no 3 row seating and my boys are assholes and cannot sit in one row.

I never know who to believe in what you can actually tow. We have friends who had the exact same Explorer as a lease many years ago and towed something with a dry weight in the 5,500-6,000 range and said that they had no problems. But it was a lease and god knows what happened to that engine or if they dodged a hundred bullets safety wise.

I have been eyeing some hybrids as the Apex Nano 20x has a dry weight of 3,500 and 3 Queen beds. No fancy outdoor fridges or anything, but that's just fine for us despite a perk which would be nice to have. I have it stuck in my head though that something with canvas on the outside that pops out is not going to sustain over time as a straight up hard side travel trailer. Trying to get that out of my head though as our pop-up is 20 years old and still holding strong.

So, long story short, thanks for listening to my rant. Any ideas or experience with what I should be looking at for my next trailer given the above constraints?

Thanks!

A hybrid sounds right up your alley. That, or a bunkhouse layout, but that'll be running up against your weight limit.

I did see a tiny bunkhouse on RVT the other day, let me see if I can find it.

Towing over-weight with a leased vehicle is fine, because gently caress whoever is getting it after you. It's dangerous and bad for the longetivity of the vehicle. Better to sell the working vehicle and upgrade, then burn out and have to upgrade/replace the engine or transmission or scrap and upgrades anyway, having lost the entire value of the vehicle.

I don't think a whole lot has changed with pop-up technology, beyond better appliances and shitters, and availability of cheap batteries and solar.

Haha, I just remembered what my parents did when we were too big to all fit comfortably in the Jayco, they made me and my sister sleep in a tent outside. That's also an option! Get something with a queen and a couch, best behaved kid gets to sleep indoors.

edit: As far as new stuff goes, maybe something along the lines of a Forest River Surveyor Legend? https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/surveyor-legend/19BHLE/4439

Here's a used 2007 https://www.rvt.com/Forest-River-Surveyor-291-2007-Sheboygan-WI-ID8388074-UX106388

Oooh this is cute but SUSPICIOUSLY CHEAP https://www.rvt.com/Viking-UltraLite-17BH-2018-East-Earl-PA-ID8999842-UX253785

thank you for this excuse to look at trailers

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 14, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for the links! That first one is interesting as I didn't think I'd get a solution for all of us in a hard side. I added that one to my shopping list for sure.

I love the idea of sending a kid outside and my 12 year old would probably prefer it in a year or so for independence. Probably not a long term problem actually...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

In this vein what large SUVs would you guy recommend to tow a 30' trailer? I am planning on replacing my car next year, and since I don't and likely won't commute, I was thinking that a 3/4 ton suburban might be a good idea. Are there others I should consider? I don't have an RV yet bet it looks like around 30' is where they have the features I want.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Does it have to be 30’? Thats on the large end, excursion or 3/4 ton suburban for sure with a good weight distribution hitch and probably air springs. Mine is 32’ and the tounge weight feels like 1200-1500lbs, I havent weighed it. My ram 3500 single rear wheel squats bad and even my tractor, rated for 2400lbs on the three point, doesn’t like it. My inlaws towed it twice with a 3/4 ton suburban before deciding it was too much and gave it to us.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

rdb posted:

Does it have to be 30’? Thats on the large end, excursion or 3/4 ton suburban for sure with a good weight distribution hitch and probably air springs. Mine is 32’ and the tounge weight feels like 1200-1500lbs, I havent weighed it. My ram 3500 single rear wheel squats bad and even my tractor, rated for 2400lbs on the three point, doesn’t like it. My inlaws towed it twice with a 3/4 ton suburban before deciding it was too much and gave it to us.

Good to know. Maybe I'll adjust my search to just one ton trucks with a crew cab. My wife refuses to ride long distances in a 90s diesel due to the noise or else I would just buy my father in law's old dually F350.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've seen SUV's towing 30 footers, but it never seems to be for long distances. It looks like most are rated at 8,000, which is pushing it for a 30 footer.

I personally would pick up a used f250 supercab or similar. If you need a gas engine, FlexFuel.

Or just buy this, all your problems are saved and you're automatically the most popular person in the campground. https://www.motor1.com/news/429071/toyota-sunrader-fifth-wheel-sale/

Hopefully not one of the sunraider chassis prone to explosion

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 17, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You should message CSB he is very knowledgeable and can steer you in the right direction

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've seen SUV's towing 30 footers, but it never seems to be for long distances. It looks like most are rated at 8,000, which is pushing it for a 30 footer.

I personally would pick up a used f250 supercab or similar. If you need a gas engine, FlexFuel.

Or just buy this, all your problems are saved and you're automatically the most popular person in the campground. https://www.motor1.com/news/429071/toyota-sunrader-fifth-wheel-sale/

Hopefully not one of the sunraider chassis prone to explosion

I guess I was assuming a Suburban 2500 or other vehicle with a 3/4 ton rating. Is there that much difference between a Suburban 2500 and a Silverado 2500 for towing purposes?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two for sure, one maybe.

For sure: heavier curb weight off the bat, so less usable capacity. Also can't run a fifth wheel.

Maybe: Didn't some newer Suburbans go from leaf spring to trailing arm / coil spring rear suspensions? Better ride quality but probably lower towing capacity with less resistance to trailer sway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The silverado and burban' of 13' vintage are rated for more or less the same. F250s of that vintage are rated a little higher. Excursions run all over the map based on engine. They're basically F250s. That's right around of what a 30' travel trailer weighs, much less when you pack it with your favorite camping goodies. IMO GM's LS engines are better suited to towing than Ford's 2v/3v 4.6/5.4/6.8. I'm personally just not a fan of them.
If you're sold on a suv style vehicle, why not a 350 sized van?

Do pull the buildcodes and opt for a towing package for better engine/transmission cooling, stronger springs, and lower gearing.
For towing a 30' TT i'd recommend a 1 ton for the extra overhead and upgrades over the 3/4 tons. You can reasonably get away with using a 3/4 ton using a load equalizing hitch, trans cooler, airsprings, etc. (A brake controller is a given regardless of what you do).

Your tow vehicles rear axle weight limit is likely dictated by the capacity of the tires. The axle ratings on the door plate are always the weakest link(tires/spring/axle). The door plate will give you everything you need to know outside of curb weight so you can shop using that information. Don't overload the tires. 8000 in tt is around 1600lb on the tongue.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Trust what CSB says - Only thing I have to add is Excursions are quickly increasing in price so it’s going to be extremely hard not to pay the extra “tax” on a good one, lots of people are converting the front ends to look
Like later model fords. Never say never but they probably aren’t making anything like an Excursion again.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Honestly if we are getting into 1 ton territory then I think there are a lot more available with the crew cab and also I really don't care for the Ford Excursion. I had to drive one a few times when I worked for a rental car agency back in the mid aughts and it felt like I was driving the short bud in a way that no other large vehicle ever has. Before that I had driven a box truck for work so it wasn't the size alone. It's really hard to describe. I just felt like the proportions were wrong on the inside. Like it was taking up extra space just because.

Although, I have driven my Father in law's 2006 F350 and I felt like it was bigger and longer than it needed to be. Probably because he also has a 1990 F350 and it's a lot easier to drive. It's a shame my wife can't handle the noise of older diesels. I prefer older trucks aesthetically and for practical reasons.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

The silverado and burban' of 13' vintage are rated for more or less the same. F250s of that vintage are rated a little higher. Excursions run all over the map based on engine. They're basically F250s. That's right around of what a 30' travel trailer weighs, much less when you pack it with your favorite camping goodies. IMO GM's LS engines are better suited to towing than Ford's 2v/3v 4.6/5.4/6.8. I'm personally just not a fan of them.
If you're sold on a suv style vehicle, why not a 350 sized van?

Do pull the buildcodes and opt for a towing package for better engine/transmission cooling, stronger springs, and lower gearing.
For towing a 30' TT i'd recommend a 1 ton for the extra overhead and upgrades over the 3/4 tons. You can reasonably get away with using a 3/4 ton using a load equalizing hitch, trans cooler, airsprings, etc. (A brake controller is a given regardless of what you do).

Your tow vehicles rear axle weight limit is likely dictated by the capacity of the tires. The axle ratings on the door plate are always the weakest link(tires/spring/axle). The door plate will give you everything you need to know outside of curb weight so you can shop using that information. Don't overload the tires. 8000 in tt is around 1600lb on the tongue.

Also thanks for this awesome effort post. This is the information I needed. If I need all that crap to make a 3/4 ton work then better to get something suitable out of the box.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Although, I have driven my Father in law's 2006 F350 and I felt like it was bigger and longer than it needed to be. Probably because he also has a 1990 F350 and it's a lot easier to drive. It's a shame my wife can't handle the noise of older diesels. I prefer older trucks aesthetically and for practical reasons.

Dynamat/sound deadening/etc do wonders for old trucks. new door/window seals, and a stock muffler will do wonders to quieten one down. The insulation in the 90' is gonna be long expired, not to mention marginal when new. Modern trucks are sooo good and quiet though.

My 90' is still fairly loud as i've yet to pull the dash and replace all the insulation behind it, nowhere near as bad as it was when I first bought it though. There's also none on the cab back or ceiling. Mostly now it's turbine whine. Floors and door seals made a huge difference.

If you do go that route, ditch the vacuum booster for the f-superduty(89-97) hydroboost system.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Before the forums die let me update some stuff.

I currently own at least 4 campers maybe more, 2 are in USA and let’s revise that I probably have at least 3 in Japan.

My very first HIACE needs to be listed but I keep working on small details.
CSB has been a great help just for someone to run things by. I replaced the old faucet handle and I have a non submerged pump to install. After that I really just need to install one of my inverters and decide if I want to wrap the roof and put it up for sale. Big big campers coming!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Are there any brands that I should stay away from? When I read reviews of Forest River makes on RVTrader there are some pretty bad horror stories in there and that's pretty much all my dealer sells (GeneralRV) are those new. I'd prefer to buy from them so I don't have to drive a hundred miles for warranty issues and such.

Currently looking at the following models (not all sold my dealer, so slightly separate topic), if they can actually get stock:

Wolf Pup 18TO
Vista cruiser 23RSS
Apex Nano (20X and the 193/194BHS)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Are there any brands that I should stay away from? When I read reviews of Forest River makes on RVTrader there are some pretty bad horror stories in there and that's pretty much all my dealer sells (GeneralRV) are those new. I'd prefer to buy from them so I don't have to drive a hundred miles for warranty issues and such.

Currently looking at the following models (not all sold my dealer, so slightly separate topic), if they can actually get stock:

Wolf Pup 18TO
Vista cruiser 23RSS
Apex Nano (20X and the 193/194BHS)

Eh, Forest River makes a TON of the RV brands on the market. They are probably the biggest manufacturer put there. There are going to be complaints. From Wikipedia:

List of Divisions

Prime Time Manufacturing

Coachmen RV

Shasta RV

Palomino RV

Forest River RV

Dynamax Corporation

Glaval Bus

Elkhart Coach

Starcraft Bus

AmeraLite

Cargo Mate

Continental Cargo

Haulin Trailers

Lightning Trailers

Rance Aluminimum Trailers

US Cargo

Berkshire Pontoon

South Bay Pontoon

Trifecta Pontoon

Qualridge

Rockport Commercial Vehicles

Berkshire Coach

East to West

Battisti Customs

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I had a feeling that would have been the case so that's why I wanted to ask if there were any real turds out there that I should be avoiding at all costs.

Anyone have any experience with the models that I posted? I provided my purchasing background earlier in the thread but as a reminder it's my wife, 3 boys (aged 9 to 12) and a dog being towed by a Ford Explorer with a max towing capacity of 5,000. So looking at sub 4k pound dry weights.

Thanks for any input! Probably leaning toward New as in that price range I can likely swing that and would be nice to have something fresh and clean.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're all built with the same parts from Dometic. The difference is in the quality control and finish work.

The best thing you can do is go to a dealer and look at a few. Open the cabinets, baggage doors, and compartments, have a look around. Look at how the cabinetry and structures are put together. If there's cheap construction methods that stand out at the user interface level, imagine what is tucked away out of sight.
The exterior windows can be a tell too, though those manufacturers are now owned by Dometic too.

RV manufacturers love to hide mistakes with trim.
No matter if it's a Jayco or a Momentum, they're built with the same cheap pieces from the same catalog. One uses MDF and the other uses a laminated hardwood in its construction.
Those cheap components is what returns a lot of bad reviews.

If you plan to stay out for a week or more, you want more fresh/holding tank capacities. Know that this can cut into what you can bring significantly.
For instance the 50 gal cap of the 193BHD comes out of the 1183CCC weight. This means after filling you're good to tote 768lb of your favorite camping things along.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

They're all built with the same parts from Dometic. The difference is in the quality control and finish work.

The best thing you can do is go to a dealer and look at a few. Open the cabinets, baggage doors, and compartments, have a look around. Look at how the cabinetry and structures are put together. If there's cheap construction methods that stand out at the user interface level, imagine what is tucked away out of sight.
The exterior windows can be a tell too, though those manufacturers are now owned by Dometic too.

RV manufacturers love to hide mistakes with trim.
No matter if it's a Jayco or a Momentum, they're built with the same cheap pieces from the same catalog. One uses MDF and the other uses a laminated hardwood in its construction.
Those cheap components is what returns a lot of bad reviews.

If you plan to stay out for a week or more, you want more fresh/holding tank capacities. Know that this can cut into what you can bring significantly.
For instance the 50 gal cap of the 193BHD comes out of the 1183CCC weight. This means after filling you're good to tote 768lb of your favorite camping things along.

Thanks, this is awesome feedback. We would (vast majority, if not all of the time) be filling up water and such AT the campground so only lugging it a few hundred yards at under 20mph. I didn't think that would be an issue on the weight consideration, or am I being foolish?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, this is awesome feedback. We would (vast majority, if not all of the time) be filling up water and such AT the campground so only lugging it a few hundred yards at under 20mph. I didn't think that would be an issue on the weight consideration, or am I being foolish?

I would think if you were going somewhere that had water hookups that yes you would want to run dry or at a very low level and fill at campsite and dump whatever is left before you leave. No reason to be hauling that weight if you don't have to.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

everdave posted:

I would think if you were going somewhere that had water hookups that yes you would want to run dry or at a very low level and fill at campsite and dump whatever is left before you leave. No reason to be hauling that weight if you don't have to.

Right, I was meaning about running overloaded for that brief period of time when I arrive. I haven't camped anywhere with direct hookups, but so far only state grounds (Michigan) that has fillups when you come in.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A couple hundred kilos over weight for a couple hundred yards wouldn't harm anything, and if it breaks well it was going to break soon anyway and better then than at speed on the highway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

A couple hundred kilos over weight for a couple hundred yards wouldn't harm anything, and if it breaks well it was going to break soon anyway and better then than at speed on the highway.

This. Don't do it for an extended time ie: on roads. otherwise you're good.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

This. Don't do it for an extended time ie: on roads. otherwise you're good.

CSB, you seem really knowledgeable about this stuff. Is it just from having campers a lot over your lifetime or is it aligned with your professional background? Anyway thanks.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
You need to check out their project thread in AI.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

CSB, you seem really knowledgeable about this stuff. Is it just from having campers a lot over your lifetime or is it aligned with your professional background? Anyway thanks.

bit of column a, bit of column b.
I grew up in several, the family was pretty nomadic by conventional standards and kinda loosely adhered to it doing buslyfe like things as an adult.

Professionally I dabble in a dozen or so different industries to keep the beer flowing and the projects rolling. I don't directly work in the industry or adjacent to it currently, when c19 subsides that'll most likely change with the rebuild of the truck camper.

Blacknose posted:

You need to check out their project thread in AI.

when c19 happens and a stay at home hobby is needed

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why am i seeing so many used campers with a couple thousand miles or less? Do these things generally fall apart without TLC or do people not buy them and never use them?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
A lot get used a handful of weekends or one big trip a year and sit on the drive the other 350 days a year. Big boomer energy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

Why am i seeing so many used campers with a couple thousand miles or less? Do these things generally fall apart without TLC or do people not buy them and never use them?

Yes and yes.

Blacknose posted:

A lot get used a handful of weekends or one big trip a year and sit on the drive the other 350 days a year. Big boomer energy.

^^^ This is also right.

Went to mendo last weekend to unplug and distance from the world for a couple days with the unfinished camper.

10/10 would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
New forum! Let's liven this place up!

Here's a little more from the July4th trip now that the build thread has caught up. The technical aspects of the trip will go into the project thread soonish.

The hubby and I went to this spot in Mendocino for a couple days: 39.378764,-122.649329

Somewhere on the way there. Stopped to look everything over before the downhill section.

The first setup wasn't all that level. Pretty annoying honestly.

Moved forward a touch, perfectly level though the step is now about 3' off the ground lolol. I moved the step over from the center to the side so we could climb the jack to get in/out.

Being right next to the creek though was awesome. Quiet outside of the waterfall which was the best background noise.

Went on a handful of hikes too

View from the picnic table as the sun was going down.

View of dinna + the camper

It's quite livable for the two of us. Huge, actually.
Bring a couple good books, a project or two, and kickback for a couple days.

Made some sourdough pancakes on the first morning out.

Then later made some sourdough bread!

Of which, the thermostat is broken. So I cycled the burner and door intermittently to keep the oven at the right temp.