Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
So this is just talk that will most likely lead to nothing, but as a side effect of the pandemic, I've been thinking about RVs, because the idea of just being able to leave my current location and go somewhere else while keeping a roof over my head that I own is pretty appealing. I've read through this thread and some other discussions about RVs, and the ultimate takeaway is that I am unlikely to buy an RV for a bunch of reasons, but it's still something I keep thinking about.

There are a number of barriers to buying an RV for me. Money honestly isn't one, I can afford something nice, but I doubt I'd ever get the value out of the RV to make the purchase worthwhile, if that makes sense. One big obstacle is that I'm pretty tall - I need at least 80" to stand up in, and that's going to be real claustrophobic, so that takes van builds completely out of the picture, as far as I've been able to tell. Some class C RVs have 82" interior heights which is adequate, but these also have more length and would probably be difficult to drive and park. I also would want a bed length of at least 80", which some RVs offer, but a lot seem to be in the 76" range which just wouldn't work. Then there's the issue of having a place to store the RV, since I live in an apartment and don't own any property where it could be parked longterm.

My ideal would be something with a high interior, and a single large bed (I'd be traveling with, at most, one other person, or likely just by myself). I'd like electrical appliances rather than propane fueled - a single good-sized induction hob and a way to plug in an instant pot would be fine for all the cooking I like to do. I'd like the ability to go off-grid with solar power and a large battery bank; a plug-in hybrid drivetrain would be perfect, I think, but it doesn't look like any RV manufacturers offer this. I'm thinking no slide-outs, since it looks like they give you more interior room but at the cost of weight, mechanical complexity, and insulation, and I'd like to minimize the number of failure points since a consistent thing I'm reading is that RVs are maintenance hogs. I'd like storage space for a bicycle and other gear. Looking around, the Winnebago Ekko meets a lot of these desired criteria, and nicely it's not a huge vehicle overall, but the ceiling and bed are right at 80" which is just barely viable.

Anyway, I'm just spitballing here, and if anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thank you both for the input. The reason I was thinking of a self-propelled unit is because I currently drive a car that is pretty small and definitely can't tow anything, so I'd have to get both a tow vehicle and the trailer itself. I do see that the towed units are roomier and cheaper than self propelled. And I was thinking electrical appliances over propane for sustainability, but if they're so rare then that's fair.

As I said, I doubt I'll actually pull the trigger on an RV of any sort, it's just something I've been thinking on.