Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

TangoFox posted:

There are two shops in my state that can legally do it, so I took it to them, they installed the new leafs and then certified the new weight, including a fancy new sticker on the door.

The legal part of it was never important to me, but I just wanted it to handle correctly. Having that much weight IN THE BED of the truck really can break a vehicle if it's not done right. And I should have probably a 4500 or 450 for this size camper, but this makes up the difference, and it rides great now.

I don’t see the “in the bed” being as big an issue as it being weight waaaayyyyy behind the rear tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
The ability of mice to get into a trailer will never not amaze me.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

djfooboo posted:

Just don’t use poison. Then they go somewhere and die and you have to find their stinky corpse.

I think my wife may have been imagining the increase of mouse poop, or the steel wool in the holes did the trick. The old-timey traps with p-butter are still unsprung.

cursedshitbox posted:

:hellyeah:

The build works a treat!

Nice. I guess the only upside from losing both of our pups this year is the freedom to head to the desert with the camper without worrying about them.
Have you got more pictures of the interior? Using a generator for the coffee maker and such?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 20, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ddiddles posted:

I was setting up my truck to do long term remote work/travel in, then I took it for a test run and pooped in a bucket.

I dont love the maneuverability of living in a van or truck if it means I have to poop in a bucket, so I'm putting a deposit down on one of these, hopefully gonna get it in January

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100bh

Purchasing 800w of solar and a 300AH lifepo4 battery bank to install when i get it :getin:

Nothing beats pandemic depression like spending a bunch of money

Pooping in an RV is not all that different than pooping in a bucket.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Slung Blade posted:

Did some late season camping in October.

Weather got cold and snowy towards the end of the weekend.

Fortunately we had lots of wood, the propane tanks were full, and we brought a little electric heater because this park has power (right next to Canmore Alberta).

Unfortunately, the holding tank drain pipes froze, so I had to wait until it warmed up enough again for me to haul the trailer back to town and empty them. An unfortunate inconvenience, but not a big deal. I had to break out the catalytic heater to thaw the freshwater drains though, I needed to empty the tank and winterize it when we got home.

No tank heaters?

Side note: if you are dry camping and run your tank heaters overnight, prepare to have dead batteries by morning.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ddiddles posted:

I have not pooped in it yet.

Then you have not actually lived in it yet. :colbert:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

cursedshitbox posted:

Just outside of view! Colorado river comes through here. There's a small powerhouse at the dam too. Lotta kayakers, boaters, and people on side by sides.

Lake Powell at Page?

edit: oh, nm not Page. Boy I was far off, other end of the state in fact. 😀

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 13, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Syano posted:

. I put 4 gallons of anti freeze in the fresh water tank and

hoo boy. That’s not good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Syano posted:

I mean... the fresh water tank has a drain plug. How is that not good besides not getting the antifreeze more effectively through the system

Well, aside from having rv antifreeze in a fresh tank? With the lines you can easily flush out antifreeze, but in a fresh water tank you may have to fill it completely and empty it a couple times to remove it. Fresh water tank should simply be emptied, and the valve left open. Hot water tank should be bypassed and emptied completely via the bolt/rod Also with no antifreeze introduced to it.

The lines, traps and waste water tanks are all you should be putting the pink stuff into.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

cursedshitbox posted:

The whole point of PEX is to not burst when freezing. That's what its supposed to do. Any RV built in this millennium will have it. Now that doesn't take into consideration RV faucets or the pump itself :v:

Me personally? pump on during the day. I shut it off when I'm not around. Water heater when it is needed otherwise it stays off.

For poopin' etc, get the tablets for the black and the gray tank. Really helps manage odors.

Valves and connections can very well crack when water freezes within them. That goes for bypass valves.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

edit: that was an odd forum burp

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 21, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ddiddles posted:

Well water isnt shooting out everywhere so all seems well.

I have pooped in my rv so i now officially live in it.

Actually it hit me after getting this all tested that this was the last thing I wanted to do before I leave idaho, so now I actually have to do it. Anyone got any favorite parks/campgrounds/boondocking in the southern utah/northern arizona area? Preferably somewhere dry and above freezing, I've had enough of winter the past couple weeks.

I dont really have a planned out path, was just gonna head to Zion and figure out something from there.

Page AZ is a nice central spot to dump the camper while sight seeing. Or if you want to dry camp, there is a campground by Lees Ferry/Marble Canyon. Zion area had snow last we were through in early Jan.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 24, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

IOwnCalculus posted:

Glad it exists, too, because prior to that GCWR was a loving crapshoot. My WJ Grand Cherokee was seemingly rated on what it could get moving, once, on level ground in subzero temperatures - because doing half that going up a grade in mild ambients was a great way to learn how fast the coolant temperature needle can climb.

What about midsize trucks? Colorado/Canyon (excluding ZR2 thanks to the soft suspension) will do 7000lb with the V6, 7700lb with the diesel - and the only real limit there is power versus drag at high speed, which the V6 probably handles better if you're willing to do single digit MPG in exchange for cruising at 70+.

Define: "Will do". My F150 is capable of pulling certain weights on level dry pavement, but on many of the hills here in Utah, it is another story entirely. We throttled way back on wet trailer rate when shopping.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

wolrah posted:

Same idea, larger scale:

https://www.safetytowingsystems.com/

I think this is a lot less wrong because it's built with actual truck and trailer parts but it still doesn't feel right.

How on earth would you back up with that?