Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So about 2 weeks before Covid-19 really started to screw things up around here, we bought ourselves a 2012 Rockwood Freedom 2280BH.

We were lucky and found one that was sold "just add clothes, bedding and dishes". CAD$7500 + tax & insurance got me the trailer, a reciever with sway bars, Lynx Levellers (lots of pads), truck box on the front, plastic jerry can for waste water, drinking water tube, extra filters, pressure regulator, lithium grease, a furiously useful tailgate organiser that was hanging in there, barbecue, pool noodles for the awning bars, drill insert adapter for the stabilizer jacks, surge protector, 15amp to 30amp converter... that's all I can think of for now.

Our Pilot was still breaking in so I had to get some friends to help me get it home (two friends because it turns out a Tundra was just too big for our underground garage).

Of course, the only actual action it's seen is pretend camping in a friends' driveway.

Two questions... but before I do, I wanted to point out I have googled them, but wow is this subject a rabbithole on there. Many forums, quite a lot of jargon and not as many plain language explainers as I'd have liked.

Firstly, I've got dual propane tanks on there, 20lb ones. Costco currently have their seasonal 30lb ones in stock and my existing 20lb ones are running out of lifespan. Height should be fine. Seems like a no brainer until I think about if there is any weight limit on the trailer tongue? I don't know if there is a weight limit there, much less how close I am to it. I do know that one of the propane tanks is an aftermarket addition so at least some of that capacity (whatever it is) has been used. This also affects if I can fit a bigger deep cycle battery on there too.

Secondly, what do people have in their toolkits they take out with them? Googling that seems to indicate socket set, screwdriver with square/robertson bits, duct tape, cable ties, pliers, locking pliers, groove joint pliers, tape measure ideally longer than the trailer itself to measure sites, multimeter (anyone got a small thin one that can fit in a tool roll?), PFTE tape to stop leaking taps, WD40, adjustable wrench, drill with insert to lower the stabiliser jacks, level and bonus points for a tyre inflator.

Edit: added tools

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well I've got the weight limits from the door stickers on both vehicles but can't find anything to indicate what the trailer can take on the tongue. The Pilot can take a fairly typical 10% of Max towing weight (5000lb so 500lb on the tongue). However, it's not a 1-1 relationship between adding weight on the tongue (i.e. structure) and increase in the tongue weight (i.e. as transferred through the hitch). Trailer should be fine as it's only using ~100lb max of an ~800lb cargo carrying capacity.

The family we bought it off were sincerely sad to see it go and mentioned just how many fun times they had in it much as you did. We bought it as we have a kid now and car camping seemed a bit much. It does also occur to me that, since it fits neatly in normal parking space, basically when we go camping we live in a parking space.

Should have mentioned the gloves! They were my first purchase. Zip ties too. Also I found AmazonBasics has water filters so treated myself. I'll admit I disagree on the multimeter necessity as I've used it almost every time I've been in the thing so far. Even for a quick battery diagnosis it's worth it.

That brings my train of thought to LED lights. I've purchased some "looks ok" brand ones on Amazon, but did anyone have a better approach to that? (Again, did Google etc but nothing conclusive came up beyond that plan).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've got oven envy!

Anyone got any decent portable oven options? I'll be honest, most Amazon stuff doesn't get hot enough or cooks a single cookie at a time. I've got a Uuni wood fired pizza oven but it's annoyingly fussy to use.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Photos! Photos! I'm very curious how much cargo you're taking and if you plan to sleep in it on the trip.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
How was the RV?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

3D printer(~1000W).

Please say more about this item's use cases while on an RV trip?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Where was this during winter?!

Edit: seriously want a link

Edit appears to be beamng.com

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The outdoor shower is one of my favourite things on my pop up. Mostly for hand washing but occasionally for an unsanitary kid or other cleaning job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well I'd think so, I don't see a hitch pin between the car's tube and whatever that device is called. There's one further rear, between the device and the ball hitch, but that's the only one I can see