Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

All that is still TBD. So we'll see. Gonna depend on how things go. Probably not much dry camping, since we'll both be working full time. We're planning on starlink for internet, as that avoids having to find a cell signal.

I have been debating the starlink kit but its $500 and I mostly go south when camping, and I think it has less availability the farther south you go. It would have been nice to have in big bend even if it only worked 80% of the time.

My camper came with a winegard air 360. You can get 100gb through tmobile or cricket for $50 a month now. Works with verizon too but the plan is expensive. Mobile internet resource center has some good info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Campground and park wifi is terrible. Worse than most hotels. Garbage tier and crowded. Just throwing that out there.

I just got done dumping cash and pulling wire for internet at home. Maybe the camper next. I only have one more trip planned this year and I should be out of it and into the house in the next couple months. Can’t get that gig fiber soon enough. All in this Jayco has done pretty good for a year of full time use.

On another note KBB private party value has now exceeded the new purchase price of my truck. 3 years and 60k miles later. Good luck if your trying to buy one because this poo poo can’t get back to normal soon enough.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cursedshitbox posted:

Campground wifi is always utter garbage.

How has the Jayco held up to full time life? Any wearing or systems breaking?
The only wear I've encountered is the 'satin finish' plating on the faucets and stuff is peeling off. Fantastic vent still howling like a B-52 pulling a TOGO maneuver.

Truck prices, just lol. Absolute insanity. My old farmtruck is worth double its original msrp right now which is absolutely insane. Never thought I'd ever see it worth more than the fuel thats in it, let alone double what it cost in 1990. A suitable latemodel replacement built up with a flatbed and supersingles would be around 70k. I would like a larger truck (F450) to pull a ~10 ton trailer behind it though. The farmtruck would be fine with half that. Maybe after I buy a house/shop/land, screw that logistics puzzle beforehand.

One gray tank sensor reads 2/3rd all the time. One of the LED light strips on the nose cone has a couple dead bulbs. Other than that - nothing. No broken trim or poo poo falling off, no leaks that I have found. The finish on the table doesn’t like warm plates but goes back to normal with some pledge. Couple dings and a lot of dirt/food rubbed in from my toddler but it all cleans up. I need to remove the “fireplace” to get some toys and food he stuck under the televator. The insignia range has been top notch, fridge works, bmpro/JAYCOMMAND still works, its needed a couple updates and a hard reboot once. Tires survived 80mph across Texas. Shocked after my last one. Couldn’t pull that 2 miles without trim falling off or finding something expensive. Plus the faded front cap, marginal sized/speed rated tires and worn carpet.

Your truck rocks. With the work you have done its better than new, so I am not surprised its worth more. I think there is also a lot of resentment in the truck buying population towards tech and modern high pressure common rail injection so I would think the value on yours would hold. 70k for an XL f450 sounds about right. I was LOLing at my boss for buying a new F150 this week. “Im friends with the dealer” means only paid MSRP. At some point this has to end, right? I can’t get doors for my house because there is no glass just like ford/ram/GM can’t get their dated electronics because TSMC won’t make their chips.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So I had a sway incident a month ago, not my RV, but it’s relevant anyways. I was hauling my 12’ 14k dump trailer with about 10,500lbs of gravel inside. Truck and trailer scaled about 23k leaving the quarry. I headed for the interstate and merged at about 50mph - the ramp was downhill but slightly curved with an odd camber change. Immediately the trailer swayed, and in about the time it took for me to realize the amplitude was increasing and grab the ohh poo poo trailer brake I found myself sideways, trailer tires locked, sway getting worse, looking at a semi about 20’ off my 9 with his brakes locked. It wasn’t my day, my tarp job was good, and I managed to slow down to about 30 and stop the sway. I examined the trailer once I got home and found that one tire was 60psi instead of 80, and that I had the ball height one inch too high so the trailer tongue sat roughly level rather than slightly nose down. This creates a situation with not enough tongue weight and the soft tire made it super sway prone.

I wound up ordering an electronic sway control from Tuson. Installed this weekend. It uses an accelerometer to measure sway and brakes only one side of a trailer to stop it. Pulled a nail out of the tire and jammed a plug in it, inflated all four to 80. Went back to the quarry today, got the same load of rock and repeated the drive home with no sway. The tuson unit has an led that blinks when it does something and on the highway it wasn’t having to intervene because I took the time to do some shoveling in the tarp yard for extra tounge weight. So I decided to test it out on some straight back roads close enough to my house that I can self recover if I wound up in a corn field. That sway unit works awesome. I raised the ball up 3” and leveled the load in the trailer. I could start a sway but before the amplitude got large enough to start wagging the rear axle of the truck the tuson would pull it back straight. If you guys have a sketchy trailer its well worth it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miE3MOcqn7E It would stop that after the first out of lane oscillation.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have seen r19.5s on sale at costco. Still expensive but michelin branded.

Any mechanic should be able to charge the ac but lord help you if it needs an evaporator core or some other hard part. Make sure you change all the fluids on that thing and pay close attention to the driveline.

Other than that enjoy.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I would still suggest pulling fluid from the trans and diff myself, along with a thorough inspection of the driveshaft, u-joints and carrier bearings. Springs, shocks, bushings and kingpins too. Its probably a 3500 series chassis, however, putting a house on top has a similar effect to water pushing back on the hull of a boat. Its using 100% of its power for long periods of time to get by. This creates a lot of heat thats not always dealt with and things that would last a lifetime on a cube van are toast in 40k. That has been the experience of my wife and her family anyways.

Pics when you can.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I violated a rule yesterday- don’t get distracted while flushing the poo poo tank. I let it run for 2 hours while I did some mowing. No big deal, except I got the tractor stuck and walked back in a bad mood. Closed the drain valve and I thought I pushed completely down on the spigot to shut it off.

Except I didn’t. Took my other tractor to try to get un-stuck and failed. Came back an hour later to the bathroom sink flooding the camper. Water was running out from under the slides. Took three loads of towels to dry out the inside. Tore apart the underbelly to find water everywhere. Poked a hole in the coroplast belly and it took 3 hours to stop draining. It was so bad it ruined the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and like half the outlets don’t work now. I stuck a dehumidifier in the belly overnight and it seems to have sufficiently dried out all the wood and closed cell foam insulation. I think the only damage is the $15 outlet and my ego.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
If you want to go off grid and want an F150 the powerboost model is the best possible choice. The lightning would be the worst.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
You are tall? Have you walked through one yet? For reference I am 6’6”.

I really wanted an airstream until I visited a dealer and tried one out. Same with keystones montana and grand designs reflection. It was hit or miss if I could stand up in the shower. Jayco and GD solitude were the best, airstream I think the high point on the ceiling was about 6’7”. The fiberglass unit you have picked out is probably going to be uncomfortable if your tall and I would really suggest trying it on for size before writing a check.

As far as the toilet goes the black tank is going to be less odor but not as boondock friendly since its using a lot of water. I don’t really mind dumping it, just need to remember to pay close attention. There are lots of macerator pumps that will grind it up into a garden hose so you can pump it into any septic/sewer cleanout. State parks usually have dumping stations as well. Even flying J around here will have them if they have RV lanes. Its not that bad.

Good luck either way.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well looks like I bought a trailer. Not going to be driving it around so I got one with a bunk room in the back that I can turn in to an office. It's just getting parked at a ranch as a cabin so I didn't go all out on a 5th wheel.

Nice truck for that. Post more pictures when you can.

Make sure the roof is good before you park it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

OSU_Matthew posted:

That’s a really good callout, I’m 6’4” and the interior height of the trailer is 6’3”. Better than the casita at 6’1”, but I’ve more or less come to accept there will be some give and take with the fiberglass RVs. I’m used to backpacking, so I just really want a solid roof and office I can plug into and work from, and an awning to stand up outside. That plus legroom on the bed to stretch out, and I’m happy. You guys have changed my mind on composting toilets though, probably better to work with what most other people are using. Thanks!

You’re absolutely right, I just need to visit a dealer. I think renting an RV for a weekend is the correct answer as well, see how I like it in practice. I’ve been pricing out rentals for longer trips like 2-3 weeks and figuring it’s probably better to buy at that point, but a few days would be sufficient to answer that question. The escape 21c I priced out came to about 45k with production scheduled for June 2023, so that’s quite a long ways out if I go that route. Do you guys think we’ll see an influx of used RVs this winter or next year with people who jumped into this and decided they didn’t like it or that it was too expensive? Or do you think demand is going to remain high past this winter? I feel like I remember seeing somewhere that RV demand was at an all time high even before the pandemic.

Over the weekend I was talking to one of my camping buddies and he told me he has an old pop up that had a tree fall against it and damage the roof that he’s looking to get rid of. My supposition is that at least the side wall of the top is damaged and needs replaced, if not the whole roof itself. Could be more extensive, I’m not sure, by he’d sell it for a few hundred and probably even help me get it fixed up. I watched a video on popup roof repair, and while it looks like an absolute bastard, it seems doable. Should I run or might this be a great opportunity to get something and get started?

I would not jump into a full price brand new camper if your at all unsure as to weather or not you will like it or get enough use out of it. The popup might be a good idea if you think you can fix it.

RVs, boats, motorcycles are seasonal use products depending on where you live. There is almost always more used selection during the off season and prices are lower.

Also FYI although I can stand up in the Jayco I have I do have to duck and twist to make it through the bedroom door. 10 months of that had me at the physical therapist getting exercises to help. If your just doing weekends or maybe a month the ducking wont kill you but if your full time for a year its a problem.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
CSB- did they up-rate the GVWR on the truck? Someone here had that done before, legally. Looks like good work and I know the feeling about not trusting others to touch my poo poo.

Ilkhan waiting on buying a truck and a camper is a wise move I think. When we priced GD fifth wheels in 2019 the dealer quoted us $44k off sticker on a 2020 377MBS. $7k of that was trade. That 390 we walked through but I was too tall. When we actually bought in august of 2020 that discount shrunk to $39k. Albeit on a different make:model but similar price range. Today people are paying MSRP. I would like to think that will end at some point. Same with trucks. I paid $49k off the dealer lot for mine in aug of 2018. Coworker just paid $51k for a used 2018 GMC half ton SLT. Prices are still jacked up and the market always corrects itself. I read somewhere that tsmc was switching to automotive type chip making at the expense of cell phones but time will tell. Stock market is due as well. Good luck either way.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why the heck is every camper and RV covered in weird Newport swooshes and boomerangs and poo poo?

Like the design on my rpod has a section of the decal that gets bisected by a window and then they took the time to continue the decal for all of 4" after the window stops being in the way. Like it matters if the swoosh continues that far or not.

It'd be cool to remove them but I'm worried it will end up looking really bad with ghosting unless I paint it or something.

That said, I love my canoeing frog decal.

I'm gonna take this thing down to Oregon and have my tattoo artist buddy do him up with sharpies.

If its gelcoat fiberglass under the decals you can remove them and buff with a wool pad and some compound to remove any ghosting.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Crunchy Black posted:

You mean the Keg door? and/or the lifting heavy-rear end foils up to the storage area door? :D

Good call, need to go take a look at it yet, its on the other side of Atlanta by about an hour and half but I can get a VIN.

e: CSB I'm pretty sure its an ISV 24v.

ISB 5.9 24v. The acronyms CSB dropped refer to the transmission options. Its some form of allison automatic, with one being better than the other because the converter locks. Based on the age of that bus however I am going with the 545.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thats a small light one. Taco or grand cherokee would be fine. Get a good weight distribution hitch and a sway control either way.

Half ton crew cab 4x4 pickup would work too. Look for a vehicle with factory trailer brake controls if you can. They work much better than aftermarket stuff.

If anyone wants it I listed my 2020 Pinnacle 32RLTS for $60k. I can include or sell separately the ram mount demco autoslide hitch for it.