Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two for sure, one maybe.

For sure: heavier curb weight off the bat, so less usable capacity. Also can't run a fifth wheel.

Maybe: Didn't some newer Suburbans go from leaf spring to trailing arm / coil spring rear suspensions? Better ride quality but probably lower towing capacity with less resistance to trailer sway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah I 'inherited' a low mile (read: 6000 mile) c class with the 6.8 and I'm just glad the RV portion disintegrated before the motor had issues. Could barely get out of its own way and lol if you put 1000lb of tongue weight on the thing. The suspension loved it and it was much more comfortable with it but you'd never get into overdrive above 65 mph.

Bringing out the classics:

I had a 26' UHaul with the V10 recently. I spent most of the trip barely touching the throttle to keep things in back from moving around too much.

When I pulled out of the neighborhood to return it, empty, I stomped on it... and was greeted with exactly the same noise and non-acceleration as when I had been babying it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

GCVWR ratings involve several variables. The new standard for testing is SAE J2807.

Glad it exists, too, because prior to that GCWR was a loving crapshoot. My WJ Grand Cherokee was seemingly rated on what it could get moving, once, on level ground in subzero temperatures - because doing half that going up a grade in mild ambients was a great way to learn how fast the coolant temperature needle can climb.

What about midsize trucks? Colorado/Canyon (excluding ZR2 thanks to the soft suspension) will do 7000lb with the V6, 7700lb with the diesel - and the only real limit there is power versus drag at high speed, which the V6 probably handles better if you're willing to do single digit MPG in exchange for cruising at 70+.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

Uhaul has regular pickup trucks that are rated to pull their cargo trailers

While true, the mileage fees are killer and availability can be a pain in the rear end. Plus, they're absolute base minimum spec single cab trucks. If there's more than one passenger involved then that means driving a second vehicle alongside the rental.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rick posted:

I haven’t camped since I was very young but just driving through public campgrounds in the middle of the day makes them seem like miserable places to stay. 100% full even February to November in Arizona it seems.

Get north of Phoenix at all and it's just as bad or worse in the summer. I never camped at any of those myself as a kid but I remember driving by on the way to more remote scouting campsites and seeing the general public ones packed all the way to the highway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Well, the Transit is about $45k and it's speculated that GM isn't going to make this that much more expensive.

I hope that in 2+ years there will be used ones ...

Of course I could go with the awful 2010 International eStar van. That is truly a joke.

If it's using a battery comparable in capacity to the Hummer and Silverado, and it's a bespoke body built for commercial buyers at relatively low volume, it's probably going to cost closer to $80k than $40k.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, it can do them just fine? Just not for long. Towing just induces so much extra load that range calculations start looking like the tyranny of the rocket equation.

It shouldn't have been surprising, either. ICE trucks will lose half their range or more when towing, but it gets brushed off as not a big deal because it means another ten minute fill-up, probably at a gas station already designed to handle a truck and trailer combination. It becomes problematic for an EV since now that's an extra 30min-1hr stop, and at least from what I've seen DC fast chargers are almost all set up for nose/tail-in parking that would not play nice with a truck and trailer.

Sticking with thread-appropriate workloads, at least you can hop in the trailer while you wait? :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It looks like a 3M 314 Scotchlok, but I hate using any form of Scotchlok in general because they do such a poor job of insulating the connection itself (and often make a poor electrical connection as well).

I'd replace them with heat shrink butt connectors. I've been very happy with these haisstronica connectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two in one end, one in the other end. Go up a size from what you'd normally use, strip a bit extra on the wires that are sharing an end, and twist them together before you insert them into the connector. In some cases you might need to strip extra off of the single wire and fold it over to get a good crimp if the only size that lets you fit the two wires twisted is too big to get a good grip on one wire by itself.