Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Hello for the first time, RV thread. My wife and I are contemplating getting a very large RV to live in and travel and work remotely. Does anyone here have a comically large RV or trailer?

They are surprisingly cheap and can often be in good condition it seems. But I reluctantly realize that there is still a lot of upkeep maintenance and things get expensive when they break, especially if it's a giant diesel engine in a pusher motorhome.

Also I saw this for sale while browsing classifieds...it's very Wisconsin indeed

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/639220060034736

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Gotta christen the can or it doesn't count!

This owns. It'll probably be a moneypit. hope this helps.

Big diesel pusher? yeah it'll need some more care than say a minnie winnie with an oldschool big block. The newer the platform the more expensive the powertrain will be to repair. Towing can be astronomical if you don't have a membership with that benefit. The big one is catching up on all that deferred maintenance because it was 'cheap'. While you're in there, look for incidentals that can cause a bad day. Even better if you can bring an experienced hand in to guide you.

Get it checked over with a local competent rv/diesel mechanic. Most of em are on medium duty bus/truck chassis so they're all generic under the beige panels and swoopy graphics. Tires almost always age out before they mile out. Can you handle buying 7-9 of em all in one go? Windshields can be a pain to source on the older models.

There's soft costs to operating in this size. They take more energy to heat, to cool, move, fit in fewer parks if they're 35 feet + in length, etc.
The upside? spaaaaaaace. Even the Griswolds will be jealous of all that poo poo you can haul along.

I ain't buying that thing. Days of impractical vehicles are currently gone until closer to retirement I figure.

But lol at this cost spreadsheet the seller of a 40' motorhome sent me (he bought it new in 2005). He wants ~$50k for it. It's got a really good maintenance history to back it up at least.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 10, 2021

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I think he paid around $200k for it but I'm not sure if that math checks out.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

rdb posted:

Currently living in a largeish fifth wheel with my wife and toddler. Waiting on our new house to be built. We have taken this one to big bend, have a trip to key west booked, and I am sure we will use it at a few family events whenever thats ok again. Had a 32’ travel trailer before it. And we had a bunch if freezing rain last night.

Did you have that gravel patch laid for the trailer specifically or was it already there?

I always think about how nice it would be to have a tiny piece of land just to park our motorhome on it for a month or two at a time. I realize a lot of counties don't allow living in RVs per se, but I figure that sort of thing is workable. Would need water and electricity I guess. Maybe I could buy some land next to a nice neighbor and pay them some dollars for it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Yeah solar, good point...

Tell me more about LTVA (and what it stands for...)

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

How do you plan to keep your water and waste systems from freezing? I realize it's insulated underneath but do you think that's enough?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

View of Imperial Dam from the mountain it is near.

I am not seeing any...dam water.

And you're saying this LTVA is only a thing in the Southwest?

Also, side note and not quite the same, but I learned about Army Corp of Engineer campsites. They usually are situated around major bodies of water or rivers and seem to be pretty low-key but nice. I don't really "get" the purpose behind them aside from being an old legacy thing or a way that they set federal land aside and just decided to rent it out for recreational purposes.

https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm

You can book them on reserveamerica.com and if you're a military person you get to stay for free I think.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Would you have to empty the hot water tank...if it was still in use? I guess I don't understand fully.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

What is a sturgi stay?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

That's nifty

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I'm not able to figure out the inside height of this but I think its a super cute motorhome :3:

https://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=18081&title=1995-fleetwood-flair-22d&cat=4

Also if you got the coin for van conversions like the Ekko, great....but omg paying what they're asking blows my goddamn mind

Also this 1999 Winnebago Minnie has 83" ceiling allegedly. And it's under 23ft so classes as a passenger vehicle I guess

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1999-Winnebago-Minnie-5015693348

If money isn't a problem then you can afford to trial in a cheap RV for a bit, sell it off and upgrade. Highly unlikely your first RV is the one you keep no matter how much research you do.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 5, 2021

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Having a good time playing Winnebago Simulator (Beam.NG)

edit: lol

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 12, 2021

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Yeah that's all it is plus an RV mod I found

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Oh poo poo that's a good idea. Trying to tow a camper with a truck into some remote campsite without losing it off a cliff.

I see there is a multiplayer add-on or something. Any goons wanna be super goony and pretend to go RVing in the forest or desert?

https://wiki.beammp.com/en/home/installation-guide

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2021

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Ok I pm'd you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Grand Designs 5th wheels are the poo poo, at the very least.