Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Something for the op?

https://www.youtube.com/c/KeepYourDaydreamTv

Full time trailer living, with 3 kids, channel. Haven't watched much, but send like good info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My wife brought up getting a class A next spring and spending a year full-timing it. The plan has been to give it 5 years-ish first and then do a super duty + bumper pull. Mostly because our youngest is now 11 months and next will be coming along eventually.

Thoughts on Class A vs BP TT?

Or just because, how big of a PITA is a 5th wheel vs the bumper pull? I expect the height to cause a lot of headaches while driving around with bridges and stuff.

We'd need master + 2 kids bunks + a guest option at minimum either way. And a decent space as an office for at least one if not both of us. Forest River 274BRB has caught my eye, but Im sure there are lots of other options as well.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 11, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The plan if we go towable would be a godzilla F-350 lariat. I don't want to deal with diesel's weight, and a 350 gives a lot of room to grow if needed.

We stopped by a camping world yesterday and did a walk-through on a few designs. 5th wheel is likely out until kids are gone, and that is a long way down the road. We liked the Cherokee 324TS the best, so probably going to look at similar size/layouts to that.

Are there any full-time class-A youtubers you can recommend? We know of KYD and a couple of others for towable but don't know of any class A dwellers for comparison's sake.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Does grand design have the same rep for their reflection TT as for the reflection 5th wheels?

Still debating if we want to start fairly inexpensive (Cherokee 321TS'ish) or go straight for a much more robust and comfy but more expensive trailer/5er.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I like trail recon but he talks super slow and takes forever to convey any information. Lots of great location ideas for me, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is there a point in OAL where it just doesn't make sense to go bumper pull anymore and you should just eat the cost of going to a 5th? The 324TS we walked through has been pointed out as just being huge (40ish foot OAL) but a 5th you not only don't have a big tongue sticking out the front you also have the front x feet overlapping the truck that's towing it.

A 37 foot 5th is damned big, but it's more trailer than that 324TS, more usable space inside, and has gotta be a lot easier to tow than the monster trailer is.

And side note, why are all the TV connections around using loving coax instead of HDMI or DP?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

rdb posted:

Where do you intend to camp? Do they have sites that accommodate a 40’? Are you comfortable driving something that long? Otherwise its just cost. I got a shorter fifth wheel so it can fit into some of the national parks with a 35’ limit. The fifth wheel will be more stable going down the road and quicker to hook up compared to a weight distribution hitch, but its not that its “bad” to tow a 40’ bumper pull just because its long. My jayco was roughly 37-38’ from hitch to rear bumper and it did fine, even without the wdh since it had a lot of wheelbase and adequate tounge weight. My 12’ dump trailer by comparison nearly killed me with a sway event a couple weeks ago. Its wheelbase is short, one tire was at 60 instead of 80, and its tounge weight is not enough. Also not sure what you mean about coax only, both of mine have had HDMI inputs on the stereo that would play on the TV. All the campground cable connections are coax but I never watch TV and campground wifi sucks so no streaming.
All that is still TBD. So we'll see. Gonna depend on how things go. Probably not much dry camping, since we'll both be working full time. We're planning on starlink for internet, as that avoids having to find a cell signal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

rdb posted:

I have been debating the starlink kit but its $500 and I mostly go south when camping, and I think it has less availability the farther south you go. It would have been nice to have in big bend even if it only worked 80% of the time.

My camper came with a winegard air 360. You can get 100gb through tmobile or cricket for $50 a month now. Works with verizon too but the plan is expensive. Mobile internet resource center has some good info.
The orbits are filling up, they'll have the first "shell" done in August I believe, which is likely when they'll turn on mobility and have full coverage. After that it's just increasing capacity afaik. True, there are good cell options, and most/many parks have wifi, but I love the idea of LEO sat service.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Seconding this.
I wish they'd build a medium duty variant....

The Lightning could be fun with an ultra light, and i mean ultra light. Probably in the realm of the awesome Bean camper Somewhat Heroic has.
Even with an ultra lightweight trailer you still have the drag and charging headaches. ICE is going to win on towing for quite a while yet.

2022 super duty gained half my wishlist. Got sync 4, did not get the powerboost setup. Really wish it had been added, but can't have everything I guess.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I think it full time plans are on hold, we've kind've decided to put down some loose roots and have another kids first. So probably 5-10ish years away. But we can still look, so my wife and I went to a local dealer to do some walk-throughs.

Imagine 2800BH would be fine for weekends. Didn't have the 312BHTS to walk it. We looked at a 367BHS, which we really liked until we saw the loft in person. Just too short, even for a kid.

Then we saw a Solitude 390RK. Jesus Christ. Wife asked as we had seen it on a YouTube tour by LJMJ. Beautiful RV, not ideal with kids but that kitchen is to die for. Which is about what it would cost to afford it, plus a -450 to pull. Not anytime soon, but maybe something when we are ready to go full time. We'd have to compare to something like a 378BHS, but that's a ways down the road as they didn't have one of those either.

Tremor + (2800BH or 312BHTS) seems most likely for nearish term.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Those are downgrade packages. You get more cargo capacity on the sticker without them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Payload isn't (gvwr-curbweight=payload) at all. see my previous post for details on why. A given truck almost always have more payload than gvwr. Payload only takes into account how much weight it can statically handle, not how much weight it can safely move(this is gvwr) without overloading its brakes, transmission, etc.

Its payload is posted on a label on the driver's door jamb under "tire and loading information". Its highlighted in yellow. Nearly every truck will be different, even in the same line up. This number is factored on what it weighs with its options with respect to its loadout in spring capacity, tire capacity, and axle capacity. It does not include occupants or fuel.

GVWR is comprised of numerous tests. An explanation we can use is the J2807 towing test as its similar to how a manufacturer will select gvwr loading. (There's also the whole dingus wagging thing mentioned in the above post but this gives you a gist of the engineering that goes into the numbers) There's three areas we'll look at. Climb the hill. Descend the hill. Evade the rock that just fell onto the roadway.

Here's a given grade the vehicle and load must climb. The vehicle must start from a stop, climb said grade without any systems overheating or any fluid loss, and accelerate to a preset speed within a determined time frame.
This tests the gear train, engine, cooling systems. if its under geared, it will be too slow. Power can make up for this. Power makes heat. It could overheat if the cooling systems aren't sized appropriately. If its over geared, it will have no problems. Add more weight, redo the test.

The vehicle must also bring the vehicle and its load to a stop from speed under the same conditions while descending said grade.
This tests the vehicles braking system. Modern trucks transmission programming that allows for engine braking and some offer exhaust brakes which acts as a secondary supplemental brake. Can the vehicle be brought to a complete stop at its max stated load within x number of feet is the test. Can it do it repetitively? Can the parking brake alone hold the vehicle and its intended weight? Will it stabilize the trailer without veering out of its lane?

There's a handling test that tests its ability to handle emergency manuvers, sway, and trailer response. Swaybars, springs, suspension and chassis design, tires, all factor in to this area of the test. There's a lot of software behind this. ABS/Stability control/traction control working from an IMU all help control the vehicle and its trailer. The firmware here is proprietary so one manufacturer could have a competitive edge over another just in software alone.

There's a dozen other metrics tested here so I'm paraphrasing a lot.

lance is solid, you won't regret them. The over-dinette bunk is good, know that your kiddos will outgrow it quickly... They're rated for 50-100lb usually.
Except, that's exactly how payload rating is calculated? Trucks weighing differently with different options is why payload varies between mostly identical trucks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

In our recent visit to Moab, we stayed in an RV park in a rental trailer, which was pretty great (although not especially cheap.)

I was surprised that the 40’ trailer we stayed in, which had a full kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and living room, only had a retail price around $50K new. While teardrops we have looked at are $20k plus for basically a bed and a mini kitchen and go up from there.

Is it just completely different markets shopping for these things and people don’t cross shop them?
Different markets. Teardrops are mostly for small CUVs going out for a weekend. They don't need storage or gear space, just enough to get by. Full TTs serve that market but also week to FT with storage and far more comfort. Teardrops also get into a lot of places TTs never could.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

therobit posted:

Ugh. I am super disappointed that the Lightning turned out to be such a turd when it comes to doing truck things. If it can’t do those things, then me might as well buy a much smaller EV.
Plenty of truck things it does well, as mentioned above. It also does fine pulling small trailers. But nothing tows a heavy and brick-like TT without losing range. It's just more obvious on an EV.

Bloody posted:

It’s still an excellent truck for the jobsite and around town, which seems to pretty clearly be their target right now. Which makes sense! 70% of pickups on the road have literally never towed anything at all.
As much as AI bitches about trucks never towing or using their full capabilities, you'd think we'd celebrate a truck that gets typical usage with full independent suspension and EV mileage. It's ideal for real world usage.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Steve French posted:

It was a pretty drive where my wife learned what I'd tried to tell her but I guess didn't leave enough of an impression: once you get out of the cities in Nevada it's not just a giant flat wasteland, it's just constant mountains and valleys. I had driven through it a number of times but never in the winter, it's a lot nicer with snow on the peaks.
Being CA born/raised and having spent years in Reno, the differences that you don't think about between there and Iowa are huge.

It's not just weather, although that's part of it. Iowa is a quarter mile grid from border to border. They may be dirt, or tiny 1 lane roads, but there are people in *every single* square mile. Sparsely populated, but entirely populated. And there are little 200-2000 person towns every 5 miles too. Nevada has areas where you can draw a 100mile radius circle and have 0 permanent residents within it.

Weather, like, being frozen for months at a time means businesses have to be much more resilient survive the much lower foot traffic over winter. 2020 Feb I don't think we got above 0°F for the whole month. 40 was cold in NorCal. I thought that was cold until I moved to Reno. Then I thought 10°F was cold until I moved here. Slight difference. Summer here it's not just hot but humid, and being deadly hot isn't just "drink water and stay in shade", cause that'll still kill you when your body can't sweat any heat away as it won't loving evaporate off of you the air is so humid.

These aren't things you think about living in either location, but it's very obvious having lived in both. I imagine the East Coast has similar levels of things you don't think about.

*End shower thoughts*

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 14, 2023