Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Hey RV friends. I am picking up my very first travel trailer this week and would love some advice if someone wants to take the time to get it. I have already scheduled 3 trips, a 1 night and 2x 2nights. Can some of you veterans drop some knowledge on an RV newbie. What do I need to know? What should I bring? What should I NOT bring? What are the things you wish you knew before you got started? Thanks team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Golden info. Thank you. I am on the big end of RVs and tow vehicles. I have a new gen expedition with the heavy tow package so not only do I have a upgraded shocks, coolers, etc, I have the trailer backup assist. I still plan on taking your advice and running it up to a closed mall to learn how to back in with it. RV is heavy but I picked it because its a full 2k pounds less than the capabilities of the truck to account for people and stuff. Im concerned about fuel mileage but I guess thats just the name of the game.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Im not well over the tongue capacity. I understand the capabilities of my vehicle and bought what I could tow. I appreciate the concern though!

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Or just the overriding inner need to feel part of something that drove me to spend multiples of thousands of dollars on a poorly built home on wheels when I have a perfectly good home already

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Heading out on our first shake down trip in a couple hours. Already teaching myself things. For instance, today I learned you have to turn your propane on if you want anything to run on propane.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Headed out for trip 2 this weekend. First trip went good. Only hiccup was having to move the trailer after setting up so the fresh water hose would reach. Solved that by buying 50 foot of hose. The sewer hose that came with the camper sucks and I know I'm going to need to upgrade/replace soon but I'm going to wait until its about ready to bite it before I do. I've found so many other things I'd like to upgrade first. The expedition with the husky center line pulled the trailer like a champ. Super happy we went ahead and pulled the trigger

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I was going to drain my water heater today but I don't have a socket big enough to pull the plug/anode. It's going to get to 27 tonight. Should I just turn the heat on or is that not even low enough to worry about? First winter with the camper so I have no idea

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
arctic blast coming in the south. I opened the low water drains and blew out my water lines. I think I got my water heater bypassed. At least I turned 2 valves, one at the cold inlet and the other at the hot outlet and theres a line between them. I put 4 gallons of anti freeze in the fresh water tank and turned on the pump and ran the faucets til pink liquid started shooting out. I should be good for 8 degrees right?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Oh thats what that hose was.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I mean... the fresh water tank has a drain plug. How is that not good besides not getting the antifreeze more effectively through the system

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

Well, aside from having rv antifreeze in a fresh tank?

I'll just open the fresh tank drain and run the water hose through it for a bit. Shouldnt be an issue.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
On the other side of the spectrum, I pull a 7500# trailer with a expedition equipped with the trailer tow package. Coolant/Oil/Transmission temps never budge from the means.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
My trailer is a bunkhouse model. The bunkhouse does not have an AC vent or exhaust vent. I would like to add a 12v exhaust vent and I believe I could do it myself but I am scared to death about cutting into the trailer roof. How do I know if I am about to cut into a structural member? What else should I be thinking about?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Stud finder seemed to work and it measured the crossmembers at 16 inches off center so I am guessing thats about right. Im going to punch a hole for my center and then go from there to install the unit. Will grab 12 volt power from one of the overhead lights thats about a foot away and just cover the wire with some sort of track. Still nervous about cutting in to the thing but overall it should be a ton more doable

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Talk to me about dedicated wiring. Not positive I understand

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Man I have no clue if I'm gonna be able to run from the power panel. It's 15 feet away in the kitchen and I think the roof is styrofoam filled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

smackfu posted:

In our recent visit to Moab, we stayed in an RV park in a rental trailer, which was pretty great (although not especially cheap.)

I was surprised that the 40’ trailer we stayed in, which had a full kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and living room, only had a retail price around $50K new. While teardrops we have looked at are $20k plus for basically a bed and a mini kitchen and go up from there.

Is it just completely different markets shopping for these things and people don’t cross shop them?

You can get 40 ft trailers in the 20s if you buy low end or you can buy high end and be over 6 figures. Theres massive cost cutting measures that can take place to get a trailer down to a low price