Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001

Nap Ghost

As the title suggests, I'm looking for input on what groups/lobbyists are currently the most successful and active in pushing the pro-2a agenda. I've been an NRA member since I was 16 (32 now,) mainly on principle rather than agreeing with every single thing they do. I've watched for years as it seems that the anti-gunners are gaining far more serious momentum and widespread support for their wacky ideas, and now that I have a decent amount of money built up, I'd like to donate it somewhere to do my very small part to help counter that. I'm not talking millions of dollars here or anything and it's not like it will make any serious difference I'm sure, but I'd like to do *something* at least. Is the NRA still effective? It seems like they have taken some hits recently in various ways. Is there another group out there that is actually active and effective at lobbying pro-2a? I appreciate any feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

I hear that a really active up-and-comer is Charlie Mirsky. He would really appreciate knowing he has your support on the 2a and I know the money would be well spent.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011

just one more spin

hahahahaha

cant believe markman is still alive but i can believe he is this dumb

*pulls up shirt to flash my gun to a stranger*

buhh it seems people are tired of getting murdered, is there any human scum i can give money to that will pretend it cares about anything but profiting from selling guns?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

The three that seem to get the most support these days is Second Amendment Foundation, Gun Owners of America, and Firearms Policy Coalition (not Center). I'm not sure about the others, bet you can select SAF for AmazonSmile donations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

The three that seem to get the most support these days is Second Amendment Foundation, Gun Owners of America, and Firearms Policy Coalition (not Center). I'm not sure about the others, bet you can select SAF for AmazonSmile donations.

Pretty much this, but also possibly your local organizations. I support CRPA (California Rifle and Pistol Association) as they basically run point on all lawsuits over here, and the president of it is the head of the firm that does so (Chuck Michel of Michel & Associates). They're NRA's nominal CA organization but I tend to feel better about giving money to CRPA than NRA.

Also keep in mind when donating that there will probably be two organizations (as most are setup for these days similar to the way NRA does it afaik): One that's a 501(c)(3) which pays for general organization expenses like outreach, member events, maybe firearm safety training, youth programs and grants for those, etc. which is tax deductible, and the other will be a 501(c)(4) which handles political lobbying, legislative policy, and the like which is not tax deductible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

hahahahaha

buhh it seems people are tired of getting murdered, is there any human scum i can give money to that will pretend it cares about anything but profiting from selling guns?

Maybe itís the beer, but i canít parse this post. Like. I literally canít tell what it says.

Post good in this thread or donít post.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001

Nap Ghost

teardrop posted:

I hear that a really active up-and-comer is Charlie Mirsky. He would really appreciate knowing he has your support on the 2a and I know the money would be well spent.

Thank you, never heard of him before. I will do some research.

hahahahaha

Are you talking about the guy who ~10 years ago almost hit my wife and I while we were walking through a crosswalk, called my wife a "stupid whore" and then pulled his car over, pulled a steel pipe on me to threaten us with, and then I lifted my shirt to show him my pistol, which he then proceeded to try to call the police? Now that I'm older, I probably wouldn't have flashed it (or possibly pulled it if warranted) unless he closed the distance further, but I don't exactly feel wrong about what I did. You almost permanently injure my wife and I with your car because you run a red light, call my wife a stupid whore, then try to pull a steel pipe to threaten me with? I mean, I don't really prefer to be a victim. It's crazy to me you not only remember this (I don't even remember posting on the forums about it?) but specifically remember who posted it. That had to have been almost 10 years ago or a little more.

As for the second part, sure, something like that bud. Whatever you have to tell yourself.

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Thanks, I will look into those as well.

BeAuMaN posted:

Pretty much this, but also possibly your local organizations. I support CRPA (California Rifle and Pistol Association) as they basically run point on all lawsuits over here, and the president of it is the head of the firm that does so (Chuck Michel of Michel & Associates). They're NRA's nominal CA organization but I tend to feel better about giving money to CRPA than NRA.

Also keep in mind when donating that there will probably be two organizations (as most are setup for these days similar to the way NRA does it afaik): One that's a 501(c)(3) which pays for general organization expenses like outreach, member events, maybe firearm safety training, youth programs and grants for those, etc. which is tax deductible, and the other will be a 501(c)(4) which handles political lobbying, legislative policy, and the like which is not tax deductible.

Ok, thanks for the info. With the climate right now, I think it's most important to try to donate to active lobbying, even though I won't get any deductions for it.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011

just one more spin

MarksMan posted:

Are you talking about the guy who ~10 years ago almost hit my wife and I while we were walking through a crosswalk, called my wife a "stupid whore" and then pulled his car over, pulled a steel pipe on me to threaten us with, and then I lifted my shirt to show him my pistol, which he then proceeded to try to call the police? Now that I'm older, I probably wouldn't have flashed it (or possibly pulled it if warranted) unless he closed the distance further, but I don't exactly feel wrong about what I did. You almost permanently injure my wife and I with your car because you run a red light, call my wife a stupid whore, then try to pull a steel pipe to threaten me with? I mean, I don't really prefer to be a victim. It's crazy to me you not only remember this (I don't even remember posting on the forums about it?) but specifically remember who posted it. That had to have been almost 10 years ago or a little more.

lol no, this is not what i was talking about. i guess you've flashed your gun at people a few times but hey that's not what this thread is about.

it's about choosing between these 3 important, strong groups

*votes u TYRANT*

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001

Nap Ghost

lol no, this is not what i was talking about. i guess you've flashed your gun at people a few times but hey that's not what this thread is about.

I have no clue what you were talking about then. And no, I haven't flashed my gun at anyone besides that, unless I'm just completely losing my mind. But I think I would remember something like that

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok. Iím looking at rap sheets and post histories right now

Post good in this thread. Use this as a resource for discussing gun advocacy groups with a bit of seriousness and effort.

I have no goddamned idea what the last few posts were.

Post better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus gently caress you know what? No.

Someone who isnít an idiot remake this thread.