Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Here's a thread for comparing film adaptations to their source material!

I was inspired to do this thread because I just read the novella Perfect Blue: Complete Metamorphosis, originally published in Japan in 1991 and eventually spawning the cult classic animated film adaptation Perfect Blue.

Released in Japan in 1997 and arriving in the US in 1999, the movie recounts the psychological breakdown endured by an entertainer named Mima when a crazed fan turns violent over her decision to transition from a squeaky-clean pop music singer to an actress appearing in risque erotic thrillers.

The book features most of the same characters, but for the most part it is a much more straight-forward tale of a pop star and her stalker: Mima does not try to become an actress (here the fan-stalker's fury is derived from Mima releasing a book of nude photos); she is a solo artist and not the lead of a girl group; her assistant, Rumi, is a lot more subservient than her film counterpart; the book features no surprise second villain as the movie does; and most strikingly Mima never suffers a breakdown.

That's what the book doesn't have from the movie, but it does have a couple unique things the movie doesn't: most notable is a rival pop star who flaunts a sexy "bad girl" image and schemes to derail Mima's career. The stalker's intentions in the book eventually become nastier than in the movie, and by the end it feels more full-on horror than the movie ever got.

The verdict: I'd say the movie is superior to the book and it's not even really a contest. It's true they're coming at the story from completely different angles: the book focusing on the stalker's psychosis while the film is more interested in the starlet's mental state. But the latter proves much more compelling and a lot of it has to do with the viewer hoping Mima finds her way out of it. In both versions the stalker is mostly just a pathetic, crazy jerk.

The book probably should've tried making the psyhotic fan the main character and risked making him a bit more sympathetic, because its Mima arguably has her head on her shoulders better than any other character in the story and is a complete bore because of it. She arguably doesn't even have a character arc.

In fact, the book feels almost helplessly naive about how well a teenage girl can adjust to fame, to be frank, and there's precious little in the way of commentary on the entertainment industry itself. I got the distinct impression the author was himself a fan of young female pop musicians - he confirms as much in his afterword - and that he simply had too much affection for the j-pop scene to present it too critically: like, a barely legal musician can TOTALLY release an erotic photo book due to industry pressures and this is COMPLETELY okay as long as it's still cute and tasteful and not like that OTHER rival pop star over there who is in fact a total skank.

This might be the most quintessential example of a movie adaptation improving on its source material ever!

Anyhow discuss amongst yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Certain auteur directors like Satoshi Kon or Stanley Kubrick have definitely made films I’ve liked more than the books. It’s when you get to the lower tier of directors that things get sketchy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I really dig this thread and super appreciate the effort put into it, but I'm going to be a twat and not put that equal effort in. But I'm being supportive of the thread!

Fight Club is a difficult movie to analyze through a modern lens. It's more-or-less a blueprint for current toxic masculinity. That being said, the movie is far better than the book. Unlike in the movie, in the book Tyler Durden is an explicit murderer, a small change that nonetheless completely reframes his entire arc. Without the lethal aspect he plays into a romantic anarchist fantasy. Once a bodycount develops a much darker and more insidious narrative begins to develop. And that narrative might be interesting, but it doesn't work with what the larger message of both the book and movie are trying to convey (however poorly).

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 14, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ccs posted:

Certain auteur directors like Satoshi Kon or Stanley Kubrick have definitely made films I’ve liked more than the books. It’s when you get to the lower tier of directors that things get sketchy.

I've always wanted to read the books that Die Hard and the Warriors were made from.

A couple of my more favorite book to movie adaptations are Requiem For A Dream and Battle Royale.

Are movie to book adaptations part of the discussion? Because if so, the Gremlins adaptation is pretty bonkers. Turns out Gizmo comes from an ancient alien race?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ruddiger posted:

Are movie to book adaptations part of the discussion? Because if so, the Gremlins adaptation is pretty bonkers. Turns out Gizmo comes from an ancient alien race?
What about novelizations of movies that are adaptations?

Piers Anthony wrote the novelization of the movie Total Recall, based on a story by Phillip K Dick, which is the most photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy thing you'll ever experience.

Piers Anthony posted:

“He looked at her. He noticed that she had three full breasts, prominently displayed in a special bikini top. For any man who got his kicks in that department, here was extra measure!”

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Piers Anthony wrote the novelization of the movie Total Recall, based on a story by Phillip K Dick, which is the most photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy thing you'll ever experience.

Didn't Street Fighter: The Movie have a game made of it?

Also last time I went thrift shopping at an old book store I got the novelisation of Aronfsky's Noah, which seems like a redundant thing. Didn't it start off as a graphic novel before the film was greenlit?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ruddiger posted:

I've always wanted to read the books that Die Hard and the Warriors were made from.
Die Hard follows Nothing Lasts Forever surprisingly closely. Some of the action setpieces (like the jump from the roof on a hose) are taken straight from the book. The main differences are that Joe Leland is a lot older than McClane (it's a sequel to an earlier book, The Detective, which was made into a Frank Sinatra movie), 'Little Tony' Gruber really is a terrorist (with an anti-capitalist/corporatist motive, wanting to expose Klaxon Oil's wrongdoings in South America) rather than using the raid as cover for a robbery, Stephanie (Holly) is Leland's daughter instead of wife, and Tony drags her with him when he takes his final plunge from the tower.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Max Allan Collins wrote the novelization to the film "Road to Perdition" which itself was an adaptation of the graphic novel "Road to Perdition" written by ... Max Allan Collins.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I think I prefer Rope as written by Patrick Hamilton to Hitchcock's production. The differences in the characters as written are mostly slight, but transplanting the movie to the 50s as Hitchcock does means we lose Rupert Cadell being a WWI veteran, and consequently lose my favourite dynamic of the story.

In Hitchcock's telling, the crime of Brandon and Philip is to place themselves above others, and thus violate American equality. As Hamilton writes it, the conflict is between nihilisms. Cadell came to the conclusion of the cheapness of life through his experiences in WWI, and consequently his whole intellectual project is trying to reconstruct some humanity. To Brandon and Granillo, the cheapness of life is entirely an aesthetic to be enjoyed. They (well, Brandon) revel in the cruelty. To them the cheapness of life turns them into the sort of people who committed WWI, rather than those who suffered through it. I just find it much more interesting.

I could talk about Hamilton's Brandon for hours. Hitchcock's Brandon not so much.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Hitchcock's Rope is fine but it feels like more weight was put on filming long takes than making the characters dynamic.

Never read the original story but now I wanna give it a shot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal are both vastly superior to Thomas Harris' books.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The movie The Prestige is much better than the book The Prestige. Basically the book is much more straightforward in its narrative and also has a, quite frankly, bizarre bookend plot set in the present day which has a bonkers bit with Angiers being basically trapped as a ghost after the machine malfunctions. It also isn't as morally interesting as in the book the Tesla machine leaves lifeless duplicates instead of exact copies.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I watched A Clockwork Orange right after I had finished the book by Anthony Burgess and I loving hated it. Not for the reasons Burgess hated it either, I thought the ending was actually OK. Rather I found the whole look of the film too stagey and artificial and certain sections like the prison to be too comedic. To me, the book was real and the movie was a fantasy.
This is very clearly a subjective feeling but I think that is more often the case. That we generally prefer the media that we ingested first. So are there any examples where it was the opposite for you?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Tart Kitty posted:

I really dig this thread and super appreciate the effort put into it, but I'm going to be a twat and not put that equal effort in. But I'm being supportive of the thread!

Fight Club is a difficult movie to analyze through a modern lens. It's more-or-less a blueprint for current toxic masculinity. That being said, the movie is far better than the book. Unlike in the book, in the movie Tyler Durden is an explicit murderer, a small change that nonetheless completely reframes his entire arc. Without the lethal aspect he plays into a romantic anarchist fantasy. Once a bodycount develops a much darker and more insidious narrative begins to develop. And that narrative might be interesting, but it doesn't work with what the larger message of both the book and movie are trying to convey (however poorly).

Oh, your contribution is more than fine, I don't expect everyone to make a blog post. I'd just gotten through reading the Perfect Blue book recently so I was in the mood to write a few paragraphs.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I thought Annihilation the movie was way better than the book. Not sure if that's a common sentiment. To be fair, it is quite different really.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit!
Carpenter's The Thing is by far the best version of the original short story. (Who Goes There? afaik)
Dr Strangelove was based on a generic book called Red Alert. Movie is way better.
I think The Godfather is better than the book.
I like No Country for Old Men better than the book but that's because I like quotation marks.
Cuaron's Harry Potter is really good too imo.

I think Jaws was a book first but I haven't read it. The movie would be hard to top tho.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Spite posted:

I thought Annihilation the movie was way better than the book. Not sure if that's a common sentiment. To be fair, it is quite different really.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit!
Carpenter's The Thing is by far the best version of the original short story. (Who Goes There? afaik)
Dr Strangelove was based on a generic book called Red Alert. Movie is way better.
I think The Godfather is better than the book.
I like No Country for Old Men better than the book but that's because I like quotation marks.
Cuaron's Harry Potter is really good too imo.

I think Jaws was a book first but I haven't read it. The movie would be hard to top tho.

Jaws and the Godfather books were both trash

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frankee posted:

I've read a bunch of Peter Benchley and I think his best book is the non-fiction one he wrote advocating for shark and ocean conservation.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spite posted:

Carpenter's The Thing is by far the best version of the original short story. (Who Goes There? afaik).

They Live is also better than Eight O’clock in the Morning. Probably. Eight O’clock is pretty fucken good too

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

frankee posted:

The godfather movie(s) is for sure a masterpiece but that's a little harsh?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've read "Make Room! Make Room!" which is the basis for Soylent Green and it does not have a lot to do with the movie. The book is mostly a warning of the dangers of overpopulation and while it has a murder it isn't really a mystery. Also all the stuff about "soylent" is completely above board and there's nothing about cannibalism.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Crimpolioni posted:

Well, there was that subplot of that one woman who underwent surgery to reshape her vagina. I remember reading that and thinking 'now what the fu-'

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jurassic Park the film is vastly superior to Jurassic Park the book

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I read the Jurassic Park novel before I saw the movie. The book definitely has some cooler set pieces (most of which eventually showed up in the sequels). Crichton has a lot of flaws as a writer but I think it’s impossible for me to dislike the book due to the nostalgia I have from reading it a billion times as a kid. He really likes stopping the story in its tracks for a character to do an exposition dump and the ending to the book felt like a mess. The movie is one of the top-tier summer movies ever made and its unrelenting energy makes you completely overlook all the minor technical errors (visible crew, etc).

I think it’s undeniable the movie is better even though I might fantasize about an impossible 3+ hour R-rated version that merges the best of both.

Edit: lol I wrote this post before I saw the previous one

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Samovar posted:

Well, there was that subplot of that one woman who underwent surgery to reshape her vagina. I remember reading that and thinking 'now what the fu-'

Oh yeah, that was a thing, wasn't it. Wierd what authors feel they have to spend a couple pages on in the middle of a gang war.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jaws has an unnecessary mafia subplot (it's why the mayor wants to keep the beach open, they also kill the brody's cat in front of one of the sons if i'm remembering correctly) and hooper and brody's wife hook up and she relays a fantasy of a black handyman bending her over the sink or something.

reading that book as a 12 year old was an experience.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

david_a posted:

I read the Jurassic Park novel before I saw the movie. The book definitely has some cooler set pieces (most of which eventually showed up in the sequels). Crichton has a lot of flaws as a writer but I think it’s impossible for me to dislike the book due to the nostalgia I have from reading it a billion times as a kid. He really likes stopping the story in its tracks for a character to do an exposition dump and the ending to the book felt like a mess. The movie is one of the top-tier summer movies ever made and its unrelenting energy makes you completely overlook all the minor technical errors (visible crew, etc).

I think it’s undeniable the movie is better even though I might fantasize about an impossible 3+ hour R-rated version that merges the best of both.

Same 100%.

The 2001 and Fantastic Voyage novelizations were written by Clarke and Asimov respectively, which put them a cut above most, although 2001 is really more complimentary to the movie than "better than". The plot is certainly more coherent in written form, at any rate. Fantastic Voyage is much cooler as a novel though, Asimov went as far as he could to explain how much would be different for miniaturized people/things at that scale and it comes off much more interesting and exciting than the film's relatively straightforward adventure.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Crimpolioni posted:

I really hated the book but I only have read it once so maybe I should give it another go

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

puzo wrote it for money and i don't think even he liked it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

McSpanky posted:

Same 100%.

The 2001 and Fantastic Voyage novelizations were written by Clarke and Asimov respectively, which put them a cut above most, although 2001 is really more complimentary to the movie than "better than". The plot is certainly more coherent in written form, at any rate. Fantastic Voyage is much cooler as a novel though, Asimov went as far as he could to explain how much would be different for miniaturized people/things at that scale and it comes off much more interesting and exciting than the film's relatively straightforward adventure.
Jurassic Park :):hf::)

2001 is an interesting one since the movie wasn’t really based on the book; Clarke wrote it during the movie and it’s basically his interpretation of what the story is. Kubrick kept his concept more hidden (I assume; I haven’t read all the biographies and stuff about him) but I doubt that the details line up very well. Or maybe they do, but he would never spell them out that clearly.

On the subject of Benchley, I’ve read White Shark (Jaws with a Nazi sharkman) and seen the TV adaption of The Beast (Jaws with a giant squid) so I have no doubt whatsoever one of the greatest movies of all times is superior to the book.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

white shark was made into a tv movie (as the beast was) called creature and they re-named the book that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Groovelord Neato posted:

white shark was made into a tv movie (as the beast was) called creature and they re-named the book that.
Oh I know, starring Craig T. Nelson, I’ve seen it as well even though I don’t remember anything about it more than Craig wandering in some dark sewer or something. The titular Creature wasn’t a brainwashed psychotic SS-officer triathlete surgically turned into a sharkman so how good of an adaption could it be :colbert:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I've always been cold on Last Temptation of Christ. I like a lot of the choices it makes and most of the casting, but there's something detached about it. The book is very personal and about the nature of enduring through pain and failure. I feel like Dafoe's Christ never really gets to the vulnerability I would want in an adaptation.

muscles like this! posted:

I've read "Make Room! Make Room!" which is the basis for Soylent Green and it does not have a lot to do with the movie. The book is mostly a warning of the dangers of overpopulation and while it has a murder it isn't really a mystery. Also all the stuff about "soylent" is completely above board and there's nothing about cannibalism.
I feel like there should be a word that differentiates between adaptations that are truly trying to uplift some quality of a text and adaptations that are essentially just options for a core concept or an idea.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Blade Runner's weird. I like the movie (the cut I prefer at least) and it has fantastic visuals and a great performance by Hauer. The presentation of the philosophical aspects works for me despite subject matter that doesn't always engage me.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a different story, and comparing the two straight up isn't totally fair to either. They're both a little meandering and thoughtful about how artificial people change society by existing.

Otherwise the focus is largely different. The movie plays into questions on what makes people people and humanity's treatment of itself and, to be honest, Blade Runner is one of the only films with this area of attention that I really like. But I do really like it!

The book is more concerned with the impact on society that occurs and how organized religion and personal experience inform how someone engages with society at large. It does have a Philip K Dick ending?? of sorts but it's not in the company of his worst conclusions.

I prefer the book most days but it's not something I argue about

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I know it's played out, but The Shawshank Redemption is a better movie than a short story (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, from Stephen King's Different Seasons).

King is my favorite author, but frankly, he's batting .100 on movie adaptations, and that's being generous. The headspace his best novels put you in is a very hard thing to translate to screen. Sometimes incredible directors pull it off, but at the expense of character (Kubrick and The Shining); sometimes incredible actors can pull it off, but at the expense of becoming a meme (Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile); sometimes a combination of both of those things makes the sort of film that becomes a subgenre so solid it becomes a focus of weaponized nostalgia 30 years later (Stand By Me/Stranger Things) - but mostly nobody can pull it off and the result sucks hot turgid poo poo (Under the Dome, Dreamcatcher, a dozen others).

In re: Shawshank - the movie and the story are both very similar in structure and tone, but Darabont is a fine enough director to know the differences between what makes a good movie instead of a good story. Warden Norton is a good example; in the screenplay Norton is the primary antagonist instead of the number of different wardens in the book, giving the audience a single person to root against instead of many. Darabont also makes small changes to the story that add to the humanity but don't take away from the theme (Brooks and Jake; in the story, Brooks leaves the prison and nobody hears from him again, but his pet bird Jake dies because he'd been institutionalized - same theme in the movie, but the movie had a better take). He got rid of some unnecessary backstory (prison breaks) and made Andy's suicide/fakeout a far better payoff than what was in print. And he called in Roger Deakins to do the cinematography, which (along with Thomas Newman's score and Morgan Freeman's narration) gives the movie a feeling it wouldn't have had otherwise.

Story's good, don't get me wrong. But the movie improves on it in the translation, which is a pretty rare thing.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 12, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like there should be a word that differentiates between adaptations that are truly trying to uplift some quality of a text and adaptations that are essentially just options for a core concept or an idea.

If you want some classic examples of a movie studio just taking the name of a story and the germ and then crapping stuff out...

First there's Tim Powers' "On Stranger Tides" where the only thing it and the movie in common is they are about looking for the fountain of youth and that Blackbeard is involved. Unlike the Pirates movie the book is actually interested in fitting in actual history to its fictional world. The stuff about magic is interesting because the book has it that magic only works if you believe in it and it went away in modern times simply because too many people stopped believing.

The other is Alan Moore's "From Hell" which was a meticulously researched comic about London around the Ripper killings while the movie is just a crappy whodunnit (the comic makes no secret that Gull is the killer the entire time.) One of the most bizarre changes in the movie is combining two real people (Fred Abberline and Robert Lees) into one character who is also addicted to opium. The funny thing about the movie is that in combining the characters they give Johnny Depp's Abberline the psychic powers of Robert Lees but the comic has Lees admitting that he's a fraud and does not actually have psychic visions. The movie also cuts out the most striking sequence of the comic when Gull is dying in a madhouse and he starts traveling through time, both forwards and backwards interacting with future serial killers.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Groovelord Neato posted:

jaws has an unnecessary mafia subplot (it's why the mayor wants to keep the beach open, they also kill the brody's cat in front of one of the sons if i'm remembering correctly) and hooper and brody's wife hook up and she relays a fantasy of a black handyman bending her over the sink or something.

reading that book as a 12 year old was an experience.

That sounds dope, guess I gotta read jaws now

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It’s been a while since I’ve read H. G. Wells’ The Invisible Man and seen the 1933 movie so I can’t do a thorough comparison, but the movie expands the scope of the book and improves the pacing. I was dragging my feet on seeing the film since I seem to remember that for most of the book the titular Invisible Man locks himself in a room, but the movie speeds things up a lot and throws in more action scenes at the end to raise the stakes. I remember being really impressed by the movie; maybe someone whose read/watched them recently can chime in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blood Boils posted:

That sounds dope, guess I gotta read jaws now

it's not!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Pretty much every change Field of Dreams makes from the book is for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Wrageowrapper posted:

This is very clearly a subjective feeling but I think that is more often the case. That we generally prefer the media that we ingested first. So are there any examples where it was the opposite for you?

I've preferred just about any on-screen Shakespeare to the original text but that probably just means I'm not a Shakespearean theater kind of guy.

Expanding to adaptation-vs-adaptation, I preferred Dangerous Liasons (1988) to Cruel Intentions despite watching the latter first. I dug the way Cruel Intentions brought the story to a new setting (and of course the cast was actually sexy by modern standards), but Dangerous Liasons has WAY better actors, and in the end that storyline really just makes a lot more sense in 18th century Europe.