Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hmmm, I don't know, I kinda suspect the opposite of what other people think. That this is going to be when Loid does something wrong - he ingratiates himself to Desmond at Damian's expense, and this will create a conflict between him and Anya when she finds out. Maybe this is too dark and dramatic for this story though, but I think things have been going very smoothly so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Have they? :raise: Anya is bad at every subject and Loid had to give up on attending this year because the actual plan they've been setting up with 30 chapters (i.e. get Anya to the point she's successful enough to earn her way in) is untenable given her track record. There was a second option mentioned for earning the merit stars, but Anya isn't able to do that either; whatever it was. Loid also cannot infiltrate the social function in any way after analysing the location, and meeting Desmond through subterfuge in the few minutes he's outside the party is basically his sole option for the entire year. I'm not sure I'd call that smooth, and while you could claim that nothing has gone disastrously wrong to throw things off track and put the manga in to a second act, nothing has actually gone right with either. More than that, the story of Loid fulfilling his mission is secondary to cute family antics in the manga so far, and the tone has never seemed like it's going to stray that far from what it established in the first few chapters.

Spy x Family is not a story that really cares about developing the characters through continuous characterization, dramatically altering them through on-going events. Everyone we've seen so far as a protagonist is already a good person, and any development will be by exploring their existing personality or maybe them learning some small new skills (like Yor learning to cook) or new facets of their personality. Not a major change because of some drama they created or anything. At least, I cannot imagine that happening, given the way the manga has gone so far. It's certainly not what I'm here for.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 1, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I meant that things have gone smoothly in terms of the "family is getting closer together" plot. There hasn't been, outside of chapter 1, any real conflict that has threatened that progression. I mean this is totally 'backseat authoring' from me at this point, but I think it's kind of an opportunity here for Loid to be tempted to progress his actual mission, and thus demonstrate a flaw in his personality that he needs to move past.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just feel bad for little Anya because sure she's a bit dim on her own merits but also she's actually four and has to keep up with the 6-year-olds. I have that exact age gap in some of my classes! It makes a big difference for little kids!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was anyone else expecting a Daybreak chapter when Twilight was talking about the security of the place?

I was!

tsob posted:

Have they? :raise: Anya is bad at every subject and Loid had to give up on attending this year because the actual plan they've been setting up with 30 chapters (i.e. get Anya to the point she's successful enough to earn her way in) is untenable given her track record. There was a second option mentioned for earning the merit stars, but Anya isn't able to do that either; whatever it was. Loid also cannot infiltrate the social function in any way after analysing the location, and meeting Desmond through subterfuge in the few minutes he's outside the party is basically his sole option for the entire year. I'm not sure I'd call that smooth, and while you could claim that nothing has gone disastrously wrong to throw things off track and put the manga in to a second act, nothing has actually gone right with either. More than that, the story of Loid fulfilling his mission is secondary to cute family antics in the manga so far, and the tone has never seemed like it's going to stray that far from what it established in the first few chapters.

Spy x Family is not a story that really cares about developing the characters through continuous characterization, dramatically altering them through on-going events. Everyone we've seen so far as a protagonist is already a good person, and any development will be by exploring their existing personality or maybe them learning some small new skills (like Yor learning to cook) or new facets of their personality. Not a major change because of some drama they created or anything. At least, I cannot imagine that happening, given the way the manga has gone so far. It's certainly not what I'm here for.

Her other option I think was doing good deeds and volunteering. They crossed that off after the pool incident. I think?

Why would you expect a major change? Everyone is slowly changing by being together.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Fangz posted:

I think it's kind of an opportunity here for Loid to be tempted to progress his actual mission, and thus demonstrate a flaw in his personality that he needs to move past.
That sounds like it could be an interesting development, but I don't think it would really be evidence of a flaw on Loid's part. After all, his mission is to prevent a potentially catastrophic war; if he decides that the personal happiness of himself and his family (or of Damian) is less of a priority than saving all the people who would die in that war, I'd hesitate to call that a wrong decision. But that sort of conflict of priorities could make for a good story in itself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spy x Family beat One Piece in...whatever the hell this ranking is. Being above Shonen Jump's consistent Nº1 and only below the absurd sudden success of Kimetsu no Yaiba is no joke regardless.
https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1334792018460028928?s=21

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
A quick Google says "Da Vinci" is a popular Japanese magazine, and their book of the year list is a thing they've been doing since 2000 based on reader surveys, staff selection etc. No idea how much weight it has as a result from that, but it at least means it's pretty well known.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
There's no way, given some of the other things listed, that chainsaw man should be 45

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, chainsaw man one spot behind dr. stone is just heartbreaking

good to see spy x family getting some well deserved love though. i'd definitely put it in my personal top 3 for the year

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Glad to see Haikyuu!! high in that list. Had a nicely done ending this year for one of the best sports series ever.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
A tense chapter of adults talking.

Coupon the candy shop. :D

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dang Desmond is a jerk and comically hard to read with how his demeanour bounces around.

Also looking forward to that list if future targets at the start. Anya's gonna meet a cosmonaut.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Credit to the series for continuing to defy expectations. Twilight is right, Desmond is a weirdo and kudos to the series for demonstrating quite visually how weirdly inscrutable he is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Credit to the series for continuing to defy expectations. Twilight is right, Desmond is a weirdo and kudos to the series for demonstrating quite visually how weirdly inscrutable he is.

The power of biweekly updates.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Man, it's like trying to talk to a brick wall, except a brick wall acts consistently. My only takeaway from that conversation is that Desmond isn't as concerned with Damien's emotional well-being as he should be, which didn't exactly come out of left field.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It actually kind of hurt to see Damien So happy that he's nearly tearful just because his father gave him the bare minimum amount of attention and acknowledgment. Lloyd's going to have his work cut out for him now that he's trying to get Desmond to be a decent father figure for the sake of the operation

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
What strikes me is that Desmond has the look of a one-off villain from like, Lupin or something, but the way he acts is so inscrutable. Every time we've seen a picture of him I've gotten the impression that he was a red herring, or a front for the real villains who had more appealing designs. But now this chapter comes along and I just want to know more about him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Alacron posted:

What strikes me is that Desmond has the look of a one-off villain from like, Lupin or something, but the way he acts is so inscrutable. Every time we've seen a picture of him I've gotten the impression that he was a red herring, or a front for the real villains who had more appealing designs. But now this chapter comes along and I just want to know more about him.

He is literally Shelly the Killer from Phoenix Wright

I don’t think dad doesn’t care about Damian. He did come over after all. He might simply be trying to keep Damian away from becoming a weakness to himself.

So I was gifted the first 2 pockets of Spy x family and rereading everything is quite interesting and still a fun read.
Some fun things though are the whole “Anya is dumb” thing being very much what others pointed out already with her being 2 years younger than her peers and having a lovely life.
And Twilight trying to save Nightfall from playing tennis against Yor. He’s already had a lot of run ins with her abnormal strength at that point. From her sneaking up on him, to the stampeding Bull, to him just barely dodging a kick when she was drunk. He at that point is fully aware of her physical prowess and I wonder if he suspects anything.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The joke is that loid is so used to people being monstrously strong/fast to the point of being superhuman that it doesnt register to him as abnormal.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The joke is that loid is so used to people being monstrously strong/fast to the point of being superhuman that it doesnt register to him as abnormal.

That’s not the joke though. He’s clearly shocked when he sees the poo poo Yor can do.
For example when Yor sneaks behind him he’s shocked and remarks that he’s losing his edge.

He’s clearly aware at this point that Yor is super human, but he doesn’t expect the same from for example Franky. He also clearly sees Yor as superior (physically) than Nightfall despite Nightfall being pretty much his own equal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he simply refuses to think about how his lovely wife can send a car flying with a kick

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
I'm gonna go stage a coupon the candy shop.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he simply refuses to think about how his lovely wife can send a car flying with a kick

He didn't see that. He jist thinks that terrorist just got into a wreck.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Syritta posted:

I'm gonna go stage a coupon the candy shop.

Legit curious what the JP pun was there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New chapter focusing on Damian and his friends

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/spy-x-family-chapter-39/chapter/21833?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008418

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Headmaster is the best. A really good teacher.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I'm glad that Damien's friends have upgraded to Bro status. Mr. Green is also a really neat character, I hope he sticks around and the fact that he's Ex-navy probably hints towards that. The School could use a more surly character to toughen up the lads. He also left me with a not-so-subtle urge to rewatch Clue

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ah yes, the Yuru Camp crossover to celebrate its second season starting. As always it was something I didn't know I wanted from this series.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I like that Damian's friends are actual friends and not just typical henchmen that are only hanging out with him for power.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Re-reading the previous chapter, something ocurred to me. Desmond's comment that being impossible to understand strangers means people will never be truly sympathetic makes me wonder if he's involved with/providing support for Anya's experiment.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's always a good sign a manga can have a great chapter without a single core member of the cast showing up.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Elfface posted:

Re-reading the previous chapter, something ocurred to me. Desmond's comment that being impossible to understand strangers means people will never be truly sympathetic makes me wonder if he's involved with/providing support for Anya's experiment.
Semi-obvious twist is semi-obvious.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Damian's friends are good people :3:

Headmaster remains elegant as usual.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mulderman posted:

It's always a good sign a manga can have a great chapter without a single core member of the cast showing up.

Well. It can also be a really bad sign.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Headmaster is the best. A really good teacher.

Henderson is clearly influential within the school, but he's just the head of history and the homeroom teacher for Anya and Damian's class, not the headmaster.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

Semi-obvious twist is semi-obvious.

This is meta plotty but I found it suspicious that Anya fell asleep and had to be taken home right before Desmond showed up.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Henderson is clearly influential within the school, but he's just the head of history and the homeroom teacher for Anya and Damian's class, not the headmaster.

wasn't he originally headmaster before he got demoted for smacking that one guy after the forgers' interview?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I thought he was headmaster but that he also taught history. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If he was headmaster, he probably would have gotten away with punching that dude.