Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Omobono posted:

I love how absolutely nobody* is questioning why in the name of God is this random pretend housewife capable of keeping up with the best West Germanian Westalian spies. Score one for Yor's stealth skills I guess.

Seriously, isn't paranoia a necessary survival skill in this business?

*technically Anya isn't questioning this because she already knows why.

I mean it isn't that crazy to be running into people with insanely superhuman skills in their line of work (see: everything about the Tennis tournament). It really seems to have skewed their expectations for what a 'normal' person can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, honestly Anya is terrifyingly smart considering how young she is and the fact she has the thoughts of everyone around her constantly in her head. The fact she's managed to build out her own personality or understand enough to keep all of the myriad secrets she does keep is insanely impressive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah I could see this playing out with Yor being assigned to kill someone that Lloyd is assigned to protect from assassination so we could get those kind of hijinks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Arzaac posted:

Anya is one of the best written child characters I've seen. Too many works I think either make kids too stupid or too mature; Anya is a pretty clever kid but misunderstands a lot of things because, you know, she's a kid. She's immature and lacks life experience.

Yeah, Anya rules and the fact she'll just go into a meltdown over the dumbest poo poo is like the most true to life thing about any five year old ever :negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Good dad Lloyd is the best :)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly Anya's got a drat good arm for a 4/5 year old.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

How did actual Mr and Mrs Smith go in the end

After their orgs set them against each other they decided to team up and fought off a kill team. Then got together for real with no secrets and live their best assassin lives.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Has Anya's actual age ever been established? I've been re-reading the series and I might've skimmed over it- but it comes off to me that she intentionally lies about her age when Loid adopts her. If she's really 1-2 years younger than her classmates and still sorta keeping up she's actually really, really smart.

She's definitely younger, Lloyd pegs her at like 4/5? But she reads his mind and convinces him she's 6.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

how long until Lloyd and Yor drop the pretenses and actually admit their feelings for one another? Before or after the inevitable Mr. and Mrs. Smith arc?

I have no idea why I fell so drat hard for this manga but I’m 100% with it

Oh we are 100% getting the Mr. and Mrs. Smith thing before they admit it. Neither of them has even begun admitting it to themselves yet.

I feel like that stuff, and Anya's reveal, has got to be the endgame. And it might get stretched out a hell of a long time before we get there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

What I'm saying is that WISE would probably imprison her.

WISE 100% would.

Would Franky, Nightfall, Twilight and the Handler though? Because they're basically the people who are going to be in a position to know and at this point at least half of them would be pretty categorically against it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I'm wondering if there's going to be a timeskip at some point (not anytime in the near future, but when it gets to the point in the manga that the status quo needs a big shakeup) as yeah, the way the Stella/Tontrus thing is set up and the pace the manga has been going it will take a loooooooong rear end time for Anya to get seven of either.

We got some narration early on that the Iron Wall falls 10 years from then and I could see that tying into the manga's resolution.

There's also an early scene with the Handler where she tells Twilight they budgeted 4 months for Anya to get the 7 Stellas which, lmao.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Re-reading the series and I found the panel that details who The Garden works for in Chapter 43!

They apparently answer to the 'Shadow Government' of Ostania as a deniable unofficial paramilitary org.

So Loid and Yor officially work for opposite sides in the whole conflict. And Yor/Yuri work as disparate parts of the same overarching org.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

Are those two black and gold pointy things on Anya's head horns? Or some kind of weird hairpieces she is using to hide her horns? Has she ever been seen without them?

We've never seen her without them and in early chapters they got sparkles around them when she would read minds so they might have something to do with that.

Or they could just be a cute thing for character design.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Yinlock posted:

I'm mostly just thinking of that one time he tried to Twilight her and she got embarrassed and kicked him, and just grazing his chin nearly killed him(though tbf the fact that he could both survive and react to it at all puts him way above any normie).

Though, again, she was completely sloshed at that time too so :shrug:

We see Twilight do some insane stuff physically as well even if he doesn't have Yor's raw strength. Like the entire tennis arc is him just going insanely superhuman along with Nightfall (holding their breath for ten minutes, all the raw physical movement, knocking out the roided up players etc)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Another binged the manga after the anime guy here. Loids backstory arc was real good. Just good stuff, here, in this manga.

Yor is objectively a higher powerlevel than Loid and this question should always be the main subject of all posts

:hai:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

I been thinking about whether or not the anime not explicitly saying the gym teacher is Billy is funnier or not. Its kinda funny as is right now.

... Billy is a 6 year old student. That's the entire joke, he's a 6 year old who looks like an adult.

Like him being the gym teacher makes no sense with his only other appearance in the manga where he gets a tonitrus for being out of uniform. You know the punishment for students.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Oof, Desmond has it rough poor kid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Anya's backstory is incredibly vague outside of 2 things we know.

1) She got returned to that lovely orphanage multiple times
2) At some point before that she was part of an experiment for 'world peace' that gave her mond control powers and the scientists forced her to study

I don't think we have any details beyond that, presumably so it could be filled in later as the story developed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Anya also didn't have a choice in becoming psychic. She's a kid who was experimented on there's like no moral framework to judge her on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

Damien appears to have a crush on Anya. If he does have a crush on Anya, shouldn't Anya know, since she can read minds?

Damien's clearly in denial(and lying to himself in his own inner monologue) and Anya's a 5 year old who doesn't really have the life experience or context to really understand most of what she gets through her mind reading anyways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Omobono posted:

Speaking for myself:

1) he's a fun one shot character to poo poo on because seriously, he's the local Wimp Lo.

2) since the joke would get stale on a second showing (cameos where he gets owned don't count) he'd get expanded characterization if he showed up again and I think our boy has potential.

Also come on, what are the odds* he accidentally picked a code name in perfect sync with Wise's top agents' ones? There's clearly something deeper with our dumb pretend spy.
*(100% because it's that kind of manga but :ssh: let me dream)

I mean he literally named himself to contrast Twilight, we see his thoughts about it. Twilight is infamous enough to be a boogeyman for pretty much all of Ostania in-story.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Its exciting because there are so many different ways this could end up playing out. Personally I think the fight in the sewer is going to be indecisive/Loid gets away BUT he's wounded and we get that Thanksgiving scene from the first Spider-Man movie out of it between him and Yuri once we think he's clear

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

Has Twilight killed anyone onscreen?

Are we counting the people who absolutely should have died during the grenade proposal scene

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Children are very malleable

Also Anya is the main character who gets the most chapters dedicated to her

Does she?

I thought for sure Twilight had more focusing on him than Anya did on her. It definitely feels like he has more mini-arcs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

She's reading her classmates' minds and she's still having trouble.

To be fair a big portion of that seems to be that her handwriting and spelling are atrocious, which aren't things you can really cheat off of others even if you can read their minds.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, Anya can literally read the mind of a dog (admittedly a very smart dog) and get words out of it, so whatever is going on in Demetrius has to be really weird.

I think Anya only ever gets images from Bond, I don't remember her ever getting words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Flair posted:

This chapter was honestly very touching. Anya manage to win at the last question with what she knew about Damian, and given that the relationship between him and her has mostly been one-sided from Damian's affection for her, she actually felt comfortable enough to tell him about her powers.

That being said, Loid does not know that Anya knows about his mission or that he is the master of disguise. Wouldn't he think that Anya would find it weird that there are strings attached to her that are making it easier for her to hold her poses?

Loid knows Anya well enough at this point to know she'll roll with a lot of his bullshit without prompting even if he hasn't internalized it. :v