Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

SPY x FAMILY (pronounced as Spy Family) is a new manga written and illustrated by Tatsuya Endo, author of Tista, Gekka Bijin, and I Spy. It’s fantastic and is published every other week online in Shonen Jump Plus. Read the official, free English simulpub HERE to support the author!

e: Why are some of the middle chapters unavailable to read on MangaPlus?

Clarste posted:

That's how they make money with this free service. You can read the first three chapters and the latest three, but if you want the ones in the middle you need to buy... something. I'm not sure if that something currently exists or not.

Latest chapters will still be available first on MangaPlus, but you'll have to search elsewhere to read the other chapters for now.

e2: Viz has licensed the series, so if you're a SJ member, you can also read the entire backlog directly at their website as well.

Overview
The master spy codenamed <Twilight> has spent his days on undercover missions, all for the dream of a better world. But one day, he receives a particularly difficult new order from command. For his mission, he must form a temporary family and start a new life?! A Spy/Action/Comedy about a one-of-a-kind family! (description from MangaPlus)

Or in other words, Mr. & Mrs. Smith plus adorable child/family antics.

Main Characters

/

Codename: Twilight / Lloyd Folger (aka Loid Forger)

Spy Dad. Member of Westalis’s intelligence organization, WISE, and is currently infiltrating the country of Ostania as a psychiatrist. Tasked with finding a child to infiltrate the prestigious school Eden Academy and gain access to his target, Donovan Desmond. A serious man who focuses on completing his mission, but ultimately wants to create a world where children won’t have to cry.

Yoru (aka Yor) Briar / ”Thorn Princess”

Hitman Mom. Office worker by day, contract killer working for Ostanian officials by night. She enters into a fake marriage with Twilight in order to maintain her own cover while also being unaware of his occupation as a spy. Kind of oblivious, but does her best!

Anya Folger

Esper Daughter. A 6? year-old (more like 4 or 5) currently on the run from the organization which gave her mind-reading powers. Was adopted by Twilight to fulfill his mission. Anya is probably one of the cutest child characters you’ll ever see in fiction :3:

Other Characters

Frankie

Lloyd’s Ostanian informant and basically Anya’s cool uncle.

Housemaster Henry Henderson

É L É G A N T

Damian Desmond

Youngest son of Donovan Desmond, Twilight’s target. A brat.

Becky Blackbell

Anya’s first friend, has strong big sister vibes. She’s cool!

Yuri Briar

Yor’s younger brother. Works for the Ostanian government as a Ministry elite. Actually second lieutenant of the State Security Service, the in-universe equivalent of the east German Stasi.

/

Bond :shittydog:

PRECOG DOG and a very good boy!

Why You Should Read It

SPY X FAMILY has great art, writing, and pacing! If you’re into the Cold War-East/West Berlin aesthetic at all, and/or appreciate characters with well-written personalities and motivations, then definitely check this series out.

Post more cool panels itt

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Clarste posted:

Just a heads-up: Anya is going to be Ania soon.

:negative:

I'll add that to the OP then. Still think Anya is catchier though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Darth TNT posted:

Wasn't it spy family?

I mean, it's written out as Spy x Family both on the official site and in the title. Pronounced as Spy Family though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

chumbler posted:

They need a date night without incidents.

Heck, I'm sure they can turn a date night full of incidents into something romantic anyway. See: end of chapter 2.

That proposal scene is still one of the best of the series imo, but all of it is pretty great. Looking forward to how much better the inevitable real proposal will be, though :v:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The YES / YES pillows absolutely killed me. Someone put me into a cryogenic chamber until the next bunch of chapters release. thanks in advance.

I’m glad the release schedule is biweekly instead of monthly, at least.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Elfface posted:

Next time, we will learn Yuri is actually Yur.

I dunno, I think Yuri makes sense in the European naming schemes as it's a Russian male name (e.g. Yuri Gagarin). But who knows!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
By the way, the author has a twitter and usually posts illustrations whenever new chapters pop up. Chapter 11’s is Yuri.

https://twitter.com/_tatsuyaendo_/status/1160571048053506049

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Fangz posted:

I just want to know why Ostania has a cartoon with a spy as the good guy.

Clearly, Bondman is an upstanding Ostanian citizen fighting for his country by spying on those nefarious Westalians. Totally ok there and not treason at all!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Clarste posted:

That's how they make money with this free service. You can read the first three chapters and the latest three, but if you want the ones in the middle you need to buy... something. I'm not sure if that something currently exists or not.

Yeah, I’m not seeing any purchase or subscription options on the MangaPlus site? That’s a shame though.

I’ll make a note in the OP about the chapter availability. Just gotta google for the chapters in between I guess.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Good to know that this series officially takes place in not!Berlin Berlint.

Darth TNT posted:

Hurrah! :toot: But what are the Tsugimanga Web Manga Awards exactly?

https://tsugimanga.jp

Tsugimanga is an award series focusing mainly on new manga (either <5 volumes printed or started before the contest begin date), and it has categories for both physically published comics and online comics.

Incidentally, Chainsawman won 2nd place in the physical category. It shares the same editor as Spy x Family, so I guess that person knows how to pick interesting series :v:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

:hmmyes:

Also appreciating the genre shift to josei at the end, terrible cliffhanger though

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Brought To You By posted:

Are the pages out of order for anyone else using Manga plus on their phones? It's been lIke this for a while for me.

On the official MangaPlus app or through the link on the front page? I use the latter on the Awful app with the vertical reading style, and although I've had the occasional page out of order, it's usually fine for me. It does make it annoying when that happens though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Thanks, Clarste. Tharste.

Looking forward to the name changes again in the Viz volumes :v:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Lt. Lizard posted:

Even though this chapter wasn't as packed with gags as usual (not saying there weren't any, or even that there were few), I liked it. We needed a chapter that makes it clear where exactly is Loids and Yors relationship (pretty much nowhere) and sets up a starting line from which it can develop further and this one did it nicely. Also Yor and Yuri are apparently family of superhuman alcoholics and this both amuses and terrifies me.

Yeah, this chapter felt short in comparison to previous ones. No kiss (as expected), but at least there was a good preview of what it'd look like once their relationship actually gets somewhere :v:

Omnicrom posted:

So I was having kind of a crappy day but then I saw this thread with that title and that premise and started reading, so basically I have to say to Nondevor and to Clarste thank you so very much for getting today back on track.

:cheers:

e: Twitter illustration for today’s chapter

https://twitter.com/_tatsuyaendo_/status/1170716402430267392

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 8, 2019

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Fellis posted:

I want to see more Yor focused chapters now, there hasn’t been as much suspicion of her from Loid despite her abilities

Is she freelance or does she work for the govt? I don’t remember

No, it hasn’t been officially revealed who Yor is working for. Whoever it is, they’re most likely Ostanian (judging from the “treasonous scum” comment in Yor’s intro chapter).

At this point I’m inclined to believe that she’s freelance or her boss works for a neutral third party, but it’s hard to say :shrug:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1003900

New chapter focusing on Yor and Loid, which is good

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Supersonic Shine posted:

Such a rude husband, making his wife worry like that. I wonder what Loid thinks is the reason behind Yor's inexplicably refined rear end-whooping skills.

Yoga.

In other news, the author posted the cover for Volume 2:

https://twitter.com/_tatsuyaendo_/status/1175798596479770624

Viz also now has Spy x Family chapters on their online reader, so hopefully we’ll get volume 1 in English by the end of this year or early next year? Not sure what the turnaround is for that.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

The pool truly is an esper’s worst nightmare

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

narm00 posted:

Sidenote: Viz announced they'd be releasing the physical volumes starting Summer 2020.

Also, the main story's on pause for another extra chapter come Oct 20th.

:sigh: I was hoping for the physical volume by the end of this year at least, especially since it seems like 99% of the translation work is already done for the old chapters.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
New extra chapter!

:siren: Loid and Yor go on a date :siren:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Those ending pages :3: (and the rest of it, really). Good chapter!

I’m glad that the family’s getting a lot closer than before.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

kidcoelacanth posted:

F U T U R E D O G

THE FUTURE (dog)! IS! BEST!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

:3:

Also glad we're getting more Yor action panels.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Always glad to see more spy action scenes! But the most important discovery of the chapter:

The Handler’s name is Sylvia

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I feel like I keep saying this, but what a good chapter! The action scenes are always fun to read (lotta 12 Principles of Animation stuff going on, especially whenever Yor fights), and more Handler character development is nice.

Also, what a good dog Subject 8 is :3: I’m glad that Lloyd didn’t injure the Doberman either

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also OP needs to be changed now for cute precog dog :shittydog:

I’ll do that next chapter once Good Boy gets his official name

Can’t decide on what panel to use for him though, there’s a lot of good ones :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

a kitten posted:

Oh wow, this month has been so weird that i totally forgot volume 1 is out in both kindle and dead tree versions

:toot: I also totally forgot due to how crazy everything is rn, so thanks for the reminder! Gonna pick up a copy now