Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Last thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862127

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jmljBG_3lw

Hey, Preacher is back! Cassidy is held prisoner by the Grail in Masada and Jesse and Tulip are on their way to get him out but run into some complications.

We are two episodes in and straight into the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I missed season 3. I tried to look it up on the AMC app, and I logged in with my tv provider, but there are no episodes, only extras.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What the hell it's already up and running? I had no idea the new season was even on the horizon let alone airing already.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

What the hell it's already up and running? I had no idea the new season was even on the horizon let alone airing already.

You only missed the two hour season premiere.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUATkpMQ8A

Here is a teaser showing what Humperdoo has been doing since last season.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I definitely watched season 3 but I have no idea what the hell is going on

It isn’t bad I just feel I’ve jumped in midseason somehow

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Clearly the important question is not how Cass managed to grow his dick back god knows how many times, but if there are any foreskins on the ones he regrows. Don't want the Grail using them to make any lotion.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
So I noticed that the ADR in these first few episodes has been dreadful. Dunno about anybody else. And also that 'the middle east' looks suspiciously like 'we filmed out bush in Australia for a couple weeks'. But I can't really hate on that since filming it in Victoria gave Lauchy Hume some work cutting off Cass' dick for 3/4 episodes straight.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It's really interesting how they're adapting the source material. They basically throw in a side character here and there and immediately abandon them but turn some characters/scenes/concepts up to 11 or 12. I'm not hating it but it feels a little incoherent and not as epic as the comics.I do am loving how almost every character is acting like a moody teenager.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The pacing of this show is some of the worst if you're a comic reader and I can't imagine what it's like without the comic-reading perspective.

But that's the only bad thing I can say about the show. Everything else is spectacular and I love it. This week's episode had a fight scene that was like 3 fight scenes in one. It was amazing. The 2 dimensional, 3-split hallway part was peak art. Whatever this director ends up doing, I hope it's even half as cool as Preacher has ended up. I'm deeply saddened the show had to end this season (if it wasn't, DeSade would've ended up in at least 5 episodes) but I'm excited to see what these writers come up with for their ending!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

What kinda pacing stuff do you mean? The constant time jumps and the false start of episode 1 where everyone just ended up at square one at the end again? But yeah something feels off about everything.

Cancellation would explain why they’re cramming everything in as fast as possible. It’s a shame because it’s a really rich world if you let it.

Edit: I’m wondering where this “Jesse tries to do good but fucks up” will lead. Also holy gently caress that’s an entirely different direction that letter to Tulip went :laffo:

Also did I miss something or was Jesus de Sade’s hideout just a kinky sex club and not actually bad? The tv series feels more and more like “so the comics were what the characters imagined themselves as and now we’re showing you how they’re just full of poo poo”

Zwille fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 13, 2019

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
That fight scene was cool, definitely pulled from the really cool Oldboy fight scene for that middle segment. https://youtu.be/VrqdbBZqT7U

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zwille posted:

What kinda pacing stuff do you mean?
Each season has been a very specific storyline from the comics with the addition of a Hell storyline because they wanted to do something different with Arseface. Season 1 is a combination of the Quincannon and the first story arc with Annville, Season 2 is a New Orleans story of their own creation with some Grail stuff, Season 3 is Angelville with the original storyline involving the other vampire, and Season 4 is shaping up to be mostly Masada. When you know all the various stories inside the comics, staying in Annville with Quincannon for a whole season, staying in New Orleans to tell an original story for a full season, and staying in Angelville for a full season is too loving slow to handle. Not to mention the various times it seems like they're going to leave whatever that season's home base is, along with wrapping up its plotline, only to return to it for whatever reason they come up with. Each season gave me cabin fever in a way and the episodes that left everything at square one were the worst. You mention that first episode of this current season? It's not just that. It's the first episode followed up by the second episode. The pace is utter whiplash between the two. The first one was fast paced, constantly changing, doing interesting and fun things, and you didn't know what would happen next. The second one was slow and plodding by comparison with a lame and over-extended car chase scene that was a funny joke for a little bit but was three times longer than it needed to be. Weird filler like this can be found throughout the series, which makes their inability to hit more plotlines per season feel a bit shameless.

But like I said, it's an endlessly entertaining piece of media so it's never been that big of a deal, it just makes it a 4 star show instead of a 5 star show.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oh yeah I get it. Yup, I mostly get a kick out of it for recognizing characters/storylines but it’s all very much jumbled together and feels a lot like they know they won’t get the time or money to give the story justice (or they just don’t care) and they just want to hit all the stops so it’ll at least please fans.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DaveKap posted:

When you know all the various stories inside the comics, staying in Annville with Quincannon for a whole season, staying in New Orleans to tell an original story for a full season, and staying in Angelville for a full season is too loving slow to handle.
FTFY.

The show doesn't just seem slow if you know the comics, it actually is really loving slow. The middle of each season just drags on forever and goes nowhere.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

Clearly the important question is not how Cass managed to grow his dick back god knows how many times, but if there are any foreskins on the ones he regrows. Don't want the Grail using them to make any lotion.

Well, you've got your answer

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

FTFY.

The show doesn't just seem slow if you know the comics, it actually is really loving slow. The middle of each season just drags on forever and goes nowhere.
This is what I assumed it was like but since I don't have the perspective, I don't actually know. Considering they had to cut the show short, though, it makes sense.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The cassidy origin story was great

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This show feels like doing LSD all over again.

It is good to return to.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I love The Saint of Killers' theme. It's appropriately terrifying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Caught up and it does feel like they're working hard to cram as much in as possible knowing this is the last season. Also, MIDDLE EAST was so clearly not the Middle East it was kinda hilarious.

The fight scene was fantastic, and I really enjoyed Cassidy's origin. I hope we get backstory on the angel soon (I know what it is in the comics, just curious whether they'll go the same route for the show).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I wonder how they’ll treat the zippo origin story and I hope they really do it justice

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zwille posted:

I wonder how they’ll treat the zippo origin story and I hope they really do it justice
If it wasn't for the fact Jesse had to go retrieve it this season, I would've expected them to flat out ignore it.
Especially when you consider that, as far as I know, they haven't mentioned John Wayne once in the whole show.

E: VVV Ah yes that's right. Totally blanked on it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 17, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe he showed up during season 3 when Jesse is having the flashback/hallucination while in the underwater coffin?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Well, you've got your answer

Yep, they blocked out TC's pecker last season, but I guess the rules of censoring public nudity on TV don't apply when dicks are either being ground up to make lotion or to be reused as a makeshift ear for the leader of a death cult Christian Illuminati.

Though seriously Jesse, shoulda sent that poor guy to Heaven like you sent Eugene to Hell. And I have to say, I thought we'd be spending a lot more time at the Grail hideout, but Cassidy and Tulip are out, and going by the credit previews, going to rob a bank with Jesus. This is the fastest paced this show has ever fuckin been.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I don't know if I misheard, but did the cop who busted Eugene at the glory hole identify himself as 'Sex Police?'

I was worried that it would be the start of that terrible storyline so I was relieved see him catch one in the head.

Maybe just an easter egg for the comic readers like Jesus De Sade.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I definitely heard that too. Though I think it would be kinda hilarious seeing those idiots trying to pull their act on the Saint.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I couldn't for the life of me understand why he killed the angel this episode until he ressurected immediately and I went 'oh, duh'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's episode was extremely gross.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Why doesn't Starr just wear a normal prosthetic ear? It seems like a prosthetic and some minor cosmetic surgery would basically fix all his problems.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 20, 2019

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Because it's not as hilarious I guess. Also the timeline has me confused. When was the whole God and Starr scene supposed to happen? After or before? Because earless Starr has happened after the Tulip shootout but he's also earless again after flicking through the dossier. What.

Also Jesus and his son is weird. Isn't the Child supposed to be Jesus? And haven't they lost him? Or did they clone Jesus' legitimate son but lost the original and have a tap-danc.... oooooh I get that joke now! Anyway they have a tap-dancing copy but it's not the real thing which is why they're keeping it from Him?

Appreciated Chekov's rear end-Gun but it's getting ridiculous how they're circling back to Masada again and again. Cassidy already freed himself before so why do that again? Bet you could shuffle the episodes and not notice any difference. Such a shame about the hosed up story in general but at least they're trying their best to be as edgy and dumb as possible. Could've been much, much worse. Once it's over I'll definitely give it a rewatch if it pops up on Netflix when I'm down with a cold or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zwille posted:

Also Jesus and his son is weird. Isn't the Child supposed to be Jesus? And haven't they lost him? Or did they clone Jesus' legitimate son but lost the original and have a tap-danc.... oooooh I get that joke now! Anyway they have a tap-dancing copy but it's not the real thing which is why they're keeping it from Him?

At the end of last season Jesse released all the Humperdoo clones along with the original. We've seen that the Grail soldiers are hunting down the clones and identifying them by their inability to dance. We've seen that Starr has been refusing to let anyone meet Humperdoo. I don't think we know if he's actually found Humperdoo yet or not. The one he has may be a clone they're keeping for emergencies, or maybe they recovered the original off-screen.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Humperdoo (the tap dancing one) is the descendant of Jesus, while the Jesus in this episode is implied to be the actual Jesus, visiting from heaven.

Of course, that makes you wonder why they don't just have real Jesus act as the savior, instead of his inbred incompetent son. The Grail being in direct contact with God and Heaven kinda undermines their whole thing. Why spend all this time breeding a savior when you can just call God and ask him to send someone?

I still enjoy the show, but the plotlines seem increasingly contrived.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 20, 2019

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for clarifying! Ok, kind of makes sense but then again not. Yeah, it’s needlessly complicated compared to the comics where the main thing was having Jesse as the Savior but him wanting to kick God’s rear end. Fingers crossed they give the backstories spin-offs. They really hit the nail on the head with Jody and TC and did a decent job re-interpreting Jesse’s childhood.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’m kind of disappointed considering the really strong prior season and a half. Seems like everything is really rushed (understandably so) but it’s making for a confusing experience

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Next episode looks fun

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor loving Steve the pilot :smith:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Poor loving Steve the pilot :smith:
Yeah the Monkey Paw nature of The Voice this season is a bit overbearing.

Shitenshi posted:

Though seriously Jesse, shoulda sent that poor guy to Heaven like you sent Eugene to Hell.
This is what I was thinking as Steve died. They didn't exactly write Jesse's use of the word to be consistent but then again, it never was in the comics either. Jesse, for being as bad of an rear end as he is, is still a dumb human.
Between that and Tulip's poor response when Jesus asked her "and then what?", they're gonna have to wrap up some major character growth in very few episodes. Or just leave the characters flawed for the end. At least Cassidy seems like he might get his happy ending.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 23, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gotta say though, the dinosaur animation bit with God enjoying his creation and then freaking out at the dino eating poo poo was hilarious. Especially when the dinosaur realizes death is coming and chooses in its last seconds alive to panic-eat as much poo poo as it possibly can :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

DaveKap posted:

At least Cassidy seems like he might get his happy ending.

Comics Cassidy‘s „happy ending“ was pretty much the darkest bit of the comics. Gave me the creeps for real. They’re kinda downplaying the addiction stuff a bit so I’m curious how it pans out in the series. I‘ll be watching it with the comics in mind so it’s gonna be a weird episode for me if they make it a legit happy ending