Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

JK Fresco posted:

Btw that is not just a joke. When it was introduced last year, the California bill originally called for waiters to face a maximum $1,000 fine and six months in jail for handing out straws without being asked.

I'm glad California is on fire a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Have you tried not drinking out of a sippy cup like a child or physically infirm?

scene: you drinking a shake or slushy without a straw and getting it all over your big idiot face lol

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Hed posted:

The number the guy came up with for how many plastic straws used was wildly overestimated anyway. Can’t find the article right now.

But At least we can feel good about making ourselves suffer!

The general discourse is in a cool state of panic right now, which means that you can make any outrageous claim about impending doom, like "the entire clade of insects will be extinct in five seconds" and it will be widely reported, and any entomologists saying "uh I think insects won't go extinct any time soon actually, they're pretty tough and that research is a piece of poo poo" will be ignored if not outright branded heretical.

I liked when someone discovered that "glass in nature doesn't decompose for tens of thousands of years :derp: ". That's because glass is basically just a transparent rock and totally inert.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

bloom posted:

hey ladies, check out my manly beard. i'm like a modern day viking

*sips beer with straw while going 'eww' at the taste*

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts
what kind of grown adult uses a loving straw?

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I really want California to announce that they are banning butt plugs, just so I can see Twitter pundits posting pictures of like 5 red ones shoved up their butthole with something like "this triggers the liberals"

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Korthal posted:

I really want California to announce that they are banning butt plugs, just so I can see Twitter pundits posting pictures of like 5 red ones shoved up their butthole with something like "this triggers the liberals"

Haha yeah I hope a bunch of guys shove sex toys up there butts for purely political reasons as well haha god I hope it happens soon haha jk

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Who was the right wing pundit who went nuts and started loving his rear end with a dildo on air? I know I've seen the video.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Schweinhund posted:

Carry your own plastic straw with you at all times. Keep it tucked in your sock.

Also, it should be one of these.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

the best straws are the ones that came with slurpees that had the lil' spoon part on the end

do they still have that poo poo i haven't had a slurpee in half a lifetime

They do, but the little spoon kinda prevents you from getting the last bit of Slurpee out unless you want to take off the lid and spoon it out, which is what they're for I guess. It's just hard to do while you're driving or something.
Personally, I get a Slurpee, and then grab one of the Big Gulp straws to I can suck my extra large jizz colored crushed ice and virgin pinia colada flavored suryp concoction to completion, like a repectable grown up.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what's wrong with those straws made out of corn or potato starch? just too expensive for businesses to buy?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jay_Zombie posted:

They do, but the little spoon kinda prevents you from getting the last bit of Slurpee out unless you want to take off the lid and spoon it out, which is what they're for I guess. It's just hard to do while you're driving or something.
Personally, I get a Slurpee, and then grab one of the Big Gulp straws to I can suck my extra large jizz colored crushed ice and virgin pinia colada flavored suryp concoction to completion, like a repectable grown up.

you turn the straw upside down for the last bit you friggin buffoon

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

The Walrus posted:

you turn the straw upside down for the last bit you friggin buffoon

You just rocked my world.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anytime bb :*

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

"Heh. STRAWS. Like I EVER would" I say to the homeless man I'm squatting next to outside the illegal coffee roaster/taqueria.
He does not respond. He may be dead. It's tough to say. It adds character to my purist experience. Here there are no straws. There have never been straws. No one knows what the idea of a straw is. There are no mugs, either. Here the beans are roasted and then, squatting slavic-ly, you chew them and bitch. Never ending bitching.
Soon, they will have lovely tacos available for reasonable prices that I will compare to licking the feet of Christ. But for now, only Beans and the companionship of my dead friend.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Big Beef City posted:

"Heh. STRAWS. Like I EVER would" I say to the homeless man I'm squatting next to outside the illegal coffee roaster/taqueria.
He does not respond. He may be dead. It's tough to say. It adds character to my purist experience. Here there are no straws. There have never been straws. No one knows what the idea of a straw is. There are no mugs, either. Here the beans are roasted and then, squatting slavic-ly, you chew them and bitch. Never ending bitching.
Soon, they will have lovely tacos available for reasonable prices that I will compare to licking the feet of Christ. But for now, only Beans and the companionship of my dead friend.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 13, 2019

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: had another cardboard straw drink and cardboard is still a terrible straw material. Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk namaste

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

magic cactus posted:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: had another cardboard straw drink and cardboard is still a terrible straw material. Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk namaste

Just get the penis crazy straw already man

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Is there any way we could make straws out of orphans? I mean, we've got plenty of orphans...

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Literally A Person posted:

Is there any way we could make straws out of orphans? I mean, we've got plenty of orphans...

orphans are way too dangerous to attempt something so risky we would never win

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
They should make the plastic straws out of PLA the same plastic they use in cheap 3D printers. That stuff is made from corn and is fully biodegradable.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

MustardFacial posted:

They should make the plastic straws out of PLA the same plastic they use in cheap 3D printers. That stuff is made from corn and is fully biodegradable.

What about a corn cob with a hole drilled down the center?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

What about a corn cob with a hole drilled down the center?

Why does it always come back to drilling cornholes?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Smackdillion posted:

what kind of grown adult uses a loving straw?

literally everyone who purchases a beverage "to go"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

bloom posted:

hey ladies, check out my manly beard. i'm like a modern day viking

*sips beer with straw while going 'eww' at the taste*

lmao

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh no my mooooouthfeeeeeellllllll

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pick posted:

Oh no my mooooouthfeeeeeellllllll

You jest now but how will you feel when our grandchildren's grandchildren have no mouthfeel at all. Like they have forgotten what being human is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why don't they make straws out of straw

nut
Jul 30, 2019

it's pronounced strarw

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

You jest now but how will you feel when our grandchildren's grandchildren have no mouthfeel at all. Like they have forgotten what being human is.

Some say we are at peak mouthfeel

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Just get rid of single use everything, if we can do it with grocery bags and straws then why stop there.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Long ago, before Nutrient Slurry, our race ate of the seed-bearing crops and the flesh of animals.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rutibex posted:

why don't they make straws out of straw

They did, once. You wanted to drink out of a tube you'd just pick a plant with a nice hollow stem and go for it.

Then some rear end in a top hat came along and hosed everything up

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kazak posted:

Just get rid of single use everything, if we can do it with grocery bags and straws then why stop there.

I don’t want to reuse condoms. It’d be a lot of work.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

I don’t want to reuse condoms. It’d be a lot of work.

Use a metal condom like the pros.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

just gently caress bareback the way god intended

nut
Jul 30, 2019

use plastic bags making them two use items

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Kazak posted:

Feel free to re-use my estrogen needles.

E: I've got a sharps container of them that I haven't disposed of yet what's your addy?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb860qZ40H4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I thought only little kid used straws anyway. Like jorts and console game it's just something you grow out of

Straws are like ketchup. If you have 2 digits in your age, you’re too old.