Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Reading about Trespasser all I could think was “Your developers were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Crichton was massively popular, but was he really "critically acclaimed"? I always assumed his critical reputation was more at the John Grisham or Tom Clancy level.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Again, I don't dispute the popularity or reach of his books. Just that I doubt like Vanity Fair critics and the New Yorker and such were sucking his dick.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The real problem with tiny dogs is that, because it seems impotent and harmless, their owners indulge and reinforce psychotic behavior that would have gotten a big dog blue-juiced a long time ago.

Edit: I'm sure people would treat a tiny pet elephant the same way.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 26, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Hear me out: "It's like Gremlins... but with dinosaurs."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The aviary and the pterodactyl scenes had to be godawful expensive to make at that time, too. Not to mention if they did all the rex swimming and in the waterfall scenes and all that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS84WPQTayw

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Jeff Goldblum has kind of spent the last 25 years Flanderizing himself. Jeff Goldblum circa 2019 is like a drag parody of Jeff Goldblum. And it's great.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Edit: oh the other movie

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 29, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Local pinball place just posted this:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's a dumb criticism anyway because

A) Jurassic Park is highly and notably realistic in film terms: it made the action onscreen feel real to an unprecedented degree.

B) If he means scientifically accurate then no, it's not that accurate, especially in hindsight, but then that wasn't the filmmaker's highest priority.

And

C) Judging a film by a standard it was not trying to achieve is like if you had responded by saying "Ugh I hate 2001. It's not very funny." Like we get it dude, you like hard sci fi. JP is not hard sci fi. But that's not a criticism because it wasn't trying to be hard sci fi.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 6, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Rifftrax for Jurassic World is funny and makes it worth watching.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think I saw the original JP in the theater more times than any other movie. I must have seen it ten or eleven times in the theater. It was everything childhood me ever wanted in a movie.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The Walrus posted:

How did the arm get up there any way? just like thrown up in the rafters in a feeding frenzy? where's the rest of the gibs?

To shreds, you say?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Gobble gobble motherfucker

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Any of you guys watch 'Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal' that started on Adult Swim last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UN616BFDA

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I liked it. Obviously with a caveman fighting dinosaurs it's not going for historical or scientific accuracy, but it's gorgeous.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Do you think Crichton was trying to make a setpiece ala the nest in 'Aliens'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

pooch516 posted:

"How do you know this just from digging up their bones?"

"The same way we knew T. Rex's vision is based on movement."