Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

ante posted:

They never showed what was behind the camera in the paddock scenes, but I wonder if you could flip some of the scenes so it looked like there was the paddock on the left of the truck-rail, and a fenced off pit on the right

Even if it ended up with some flipped steering wheel locations, I bet that would read better to the audience
It reads fine to audiences as is, and it's fun to recognize the weird movie geography, but past recognition you're just engaging in masochistic autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jurassic Park is one of those books that is was great stepping g stone between kids books and grown up books back before the YA ghetto came around to trap people in permanent adolescence and ruin literacy.

It mixes cheezemo action and gory horror with cool dinosaurs, high minded philosophical sci-fi chicanery that has a sense of being grounded in or at least couched in a plausible sounding technical explanation. It had interesting themes about science vs responsibility and toes a perfect line between adolescent Dino thrills with teenage levels of gore and nastiness with some low level but legit themes and explorations of ideas, written in a blunt, not eloquent but effectively rendered style that paints a vividly gory detailed picture without becoming too bogged down in the details.

Except the dialogue which is ridiculously epistolatory, especially Malcolm. Luckily it’s preaching tone is softened by the fact the poo poo it’s pontificating about is interesting stuff.

It’s just the right book to act as a kind of coming of age reading experience. I still go back to it from time to time. It’s a lot of fun.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I read The Lost World when I was 8, and then when the movie came out I was kind of let down. I think it was my first experience of 'the book is better than the movie.'

I did enjoy getting a few of those watches from Burger King though.

I had the one with the metal pop up face with the little round holes in it.

The Lost World is great. It’s very different but it’s basically Spielberg spoofing himself and the first film. Kids get hurt, animals die, the nuclear family is t restored and instead Malcolm, his step daughter and Julianne Moore form a new family unit distinct from the Spielbergian reunited divorced family aspect.

It’s one of if not the most cynical, nasty, and out of the box films for an artist whose competence is sontied to embracing and refining his themes alongside his craft, and even though it’s so different from the first one it’s fun because Spielberg is having a lot of fun playing against his own cliches. The cynicism and nastiness never feel cruel or bitter but the whole film has a darkly playful sense to it.

It’s better when you realize it’s not Jurassic Park 2 so much as Jurassic Park -1

It’s the opposite film of ET

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kak posted:

Ah, yes.

You got a problem with words, m8?

Edit: I'm a dumb baby

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Imagined posted:

Yeah I liked it. Obviously with a caveman fighting dinosaurs it's not going for historical or scientific accuracy, but it's gorgeous.

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSDb7iBTg70