Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

The movie came out when I was 12, but it was a PG-13 movie so my mom refused to let me see it because she's a terrible parent. She let me read the novel instead, which would be a hard-R for gore and violence. I had nightmares for months until my dad took me to see it right before it left theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First of May
May 1, 2017

Only registered members can see post attachments!

First of May
May 1, 2017

SilvergunSuperman posted:

lmao nightmares at 12, your mom was right to baby your sissy rear end.

sorry ur dead inside

First of May
May 1, 2017

Voting Floater posted:

I've known that since the movie first came out and in all that time, I'm still not 100% sure on how to pronounce Deinonychus.

dine-o-NIGH-cus

First of May
May 1, 2017

Laslow posted:

What was up with those dumb Sudoku chaos theory pics in the book? I was like eight years old when I read it, so I probably missed the point somehow.

They illustrate the meta-narrative of apparent stability and disorder.

I always liked the computer print outs when they figure out how they're miscounting the dinosaurs.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Leon Einstein posted:

This is a good summation. I loathed every sequel while loving the original. Jurrasic World was offensively bad.

"Want to see something really cool?"
Hard cut to Mercedes Benz.

No, movie, you can't be a satire about corporate sponsorship ruining an authentic experience by doing product placement.

First of May
May 1, 2017

I want a modern Trespasser in VR, so bad.

First of May
May 1, 2017

you broke my grill posted:

This is my favorite part about Trespasser

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trespasser_(video_game)#Development

Tespasser was designed to have a complex artificial intelligence routine, giving each creature on the island its own set of emotions and the possibility of dinosaurs fighting each other. Dinosaurs would react to the player differently depending on what mood they were in. System bugs in the artificial intelligence routines made it so that dinosaurs would switch between mood-based actions so quickly that they would stop moving and acting. A quick fix was hard-coded into the game that locked all dinosaurs’ anger at maximum, leaving all other emotions at zero.

Do you know how long it takes to debug two million lines of code?

First of May
May 1, 2017

Harald posted:

are these characters ... uh ... auto-erotica?

Frum yur bluhd!

First of May
May 1, 2017

Is it Wu or Muldoon that is recommending they roll back to an earlier version on the raptors? In the book the dinosaurs have version numbers like software releases.

First of May
May 1, 2017

They steal hot dogs off the supply trucks, duh.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Kazak posted:

*Watches a raptor sear steaks on cast iron before transferring both into oven preheated to 450° *

"Clever grill..."

First of May
May 1, 2017

Timby posted:

I forget the particulars of the book, but in the movie, Nedry himself was simply an employee of a contract firm. (When the systems go awry, Hammond tells Arnold to call "Nedry's people in Cambridge;" that's when Arnold realizes the phones are out.)

The deeper implication is that Nedry is under water, be it due to gambling or bad debt or whatever, which is why he gets into bed with Dodgson.

He also said "do you know anyone who can debug two million lines of code for what I bid for this job," so maybe Cambridge is who referred him to Hammond for the job? Maybe everybody hated him there and hoped he'd get this new job by naively bidding way too low.

First of May
May 1, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but imagine how much more awesome it would be if the T-Rex had feathers! Just imagine the feathers blowing in the rain!

Yes, because the feathers would have kept the foam rubber T-Rex robot from getting waterlogged in the rain and throwing off the balance of the animatronics and causing uncontrollable shaking. Just like what would have happened to a real T-Rex.

First of May
May 1, 2017

I like that Genaro then mouths the word "animatronic" to himself after Hammond corrects him, as if to help remember the correct term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First of May
May 1, 2017

I think the nest scene was to "humanize" the raptors a bit, leaving the reader seeing the raptors just as animals wanting to survive: raising babies, desire to migrate. We get to see them in a neutral light just before the firebombing so that we feel bad for them, they didn't ask for this, you're not my real dad!