Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Every time threads like this come around people talk about the original book of whatever movie is being discussed, and holding it up like it was a modern literary masterpiece, and I'm like, "Well poo poo, I thought it was decent when I read it at seventeen, but not that good. Maybe I should give it another go?"

And then someone posts a passage like that Wu death above and holy crap that's bad writing.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

To be fair she's around 30 years old by the events of Fallen Kingdom, so she's ancient by T-rex standards.

Was it supposed to be same T-Rex?

Why did they only make one, anyway? They had a huge Gallimimus herd, surely the difficulty differences wouldn't be significant

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Also I watched JP again last night, and the t-rex paddock turning into a deep pit really bothers me. There are a ton of other small plot holes that don't bother me as much.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

you broke my grill posted:

Spielberg said he knew about that trex paddock plothole but said gently caress it because it's a cool shot

They never showed what was behind the camera in the paddock scenes, but I wonder if you could flip some of the scenes so it looked like there was the paddock on the left of the truck-rail, and a fenced off pit on the right

Even if it ended up with some flipped steering wheel locations, I bet that would read better to the audience

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You guys wanna see sperging out, how does Hammond know it's Grant calling as soon as the phones went online

He doesn't even know Grant is still alive, and Sattler was the one who turned them on!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

GamingHyena posted:

Though I agree with your premise that modern people are obsessed with authentic experiences I'm not sure what you mean by "hyperreality." I think a big part of the problem people have with modern society is that so much of what we experience is artificial. Millions go to work inside boxes and stare at glass screens all day only to go home and do the same thing. Our food is grown/killed hundreds if not thousands of miles away and is prepared in such a way that the original plant/animal is almost unrecognizable. We buy goods from people forced to put on a facade of friendliness in a store whose layout is the product of millions in research on how to optimize the psychology of buying. You can now participate in almost every aspect of modern society without even leaving your house. Even our vacations are often curated experiences designed to avoid challenging our preconceptions while extracting as much money from us as possible. This doesn't even touch on the massive ecological damage required to run modern society.

Although we could quibble over the definition, I disagree that "authentic" experiences don't exist today. You can still have a meaningful (although increasingly commercialized) experience with things that historically have brought people enjoyment (nature, activities that have a tangible reward, etc.). Of course, as Wu points out to Hammond there is no way to have an "authentic" experience in Jurassic Park because it never contained any actual dinosaurs. The "dinosaurs" in JP were a stew of DNA from various species cobbled together to approximate what we believe dinos looked and acted like. Aside from guesses from the fossil record there was no real way to compare a JP raptor's behavior to a "real" raptor that lived hundreds of years ago. Wu understood this which is why he wanted to slow down the dinosaurs to make them more in line with people's expectations.

Yikes. Didn't come into the Jurassic Park thread expecting apt and cutting social commentary

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Xenomrph posted:

the raptors hunting Ian and co in the worker village

lol what, have you seen the movie recently? That was the worst part, it turns raptors into doofuses that can't kill the protagonists in wide open ground.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Beachcomber posted:

Eddie wouldn't have been in danger in the first place if the strip miners hadn't broken the baby's leg to begin with.

Nah, that doesn't excuse the morons who decided to bring an apex predator's child into their home. The game hunters couldn't have predicted that because they never could have imagined that anyone would be so unbelievably stupid

Xenomrph posted:

I’m talking about this scene, where the characters believably use the environment to barely escape the raptors, who feel like a legit threat at all times:

https://youtu.be/DsgRCIezNnE
https://youtu.be/2h8rH8zxA64

Sorry, guess we gotta disagree here. That first video from about 1:08 to 1:20 is kinda the thing I'm talking about. The raptors in the first movie wouldn't stare at a fresh meal dumbly for 12 seconds while the dude just yelled at her. It reduces them from "fearsome intelligent predator" to "dumb dog with a taste for meat".

ante fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 9, 2019

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah that whole raptor nest side story in the book is weird and dumb. None of it makes any sense whatsoever

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They survived and turned everything on and called for help and then decided to sneak into a raptor nest because ?!? Where somehow they didn't immediately get spotted and murdered despite being like two feet away in a dark cave ?! And then a helicopter magically appeared and knew exactly where they were and just told them the fate of everyone

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I guess the wild raptors are less angry?

That raises another question, of how those exist though. Surely if they were bred and raised in the raptor pen, the park personnel would notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There'd be a nest inside the raptor pen, though, and we know the raptors don't clean that up, because fossil record. And the baby raptors would have to slip out while they were small enough to get through the bars, but we also know that the raptors took good care of the babies.

You know, I'm beginning to think that Michael Crichton didn't think this through all the way. The movie is way better than the book.