Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I'm gonna burn myself to death, that'll show 'em that phlogiston exists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

A CRAB IRL posted:

I'm gonna burn myself to death, that'll show 'em that phlogiston exists!

*and free Tibet

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I wonder what was the last thing that went through his head.

Besides the steam vessel

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Raged posted:

Besides the steam vessel

"Whhheeeeeeeeeeeee!!"

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Raged posted:

Besides the steam vessel

"I don't care if WWII surplus parachutes are made of real silk, I say it was a bad deal."

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Raged posted:

Besides the steam vessel

"... Did I leave the stove on?"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"i hope the parachute didn't deploy on takeoff, otherwise i'd have needed to pull the emergency parachute lever about five seconds ag"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dravs posted:

So I googled it and you have to be at a minimum of ~35,000 feet to see the curvature of the earth. Did Mad Mike even make it past 1k?

Coincidentally that's also the typical flying altitude of commercial aircraft.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dravs posted:

So I googled it and you have to be at a minimum of ~35,000 feet to see the curvature of the earth. Did Mad Mike even make it past 1k?

The goal for this last flight was 5,000 feet.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

lol wait did he actually die?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
yes

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

appropriatemetaphor posted:

lol wait did he actually die?

Legends never die.

Edit: oh wait, sorry, he dead.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Dravs posted:

If you look at the video it looks like he was descending for ~10 seconds. Really, really rough calculation means that was about 500 meters or 1600 feet, ignoring air resistance on the descent and all kinds of stuff like that.

I’m sure he beat 1000 feet but he didn’t make 5000

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Lol that tmz article said he didn’t appear to use the parachute? No poo poo it loving popped out on launch

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol that tmz article said he didn’t appear to use the parachute? No poo poo it loving popped out on launch

I mean, that's technically using it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dravs posted:

What crack was the person who wrote this smoking your can see evidence of that poo poo from like 50 feet up

Or on any oceanic beach

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

That's good news, now it can be resold again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SeXReX posted:

What crack was the person who wrote this smoking your can see evidence of that poo poo from like 50 feet up

Or on any oceanic beach

No you cannot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mad Mike was fuckin' terrible at calculating exit strategies

quote:

In 2002, daredevil “Mad” Mike Hughes successfully jumped a Lincoln Town Car stretch limousine 103 feet at the Perris Auto Speedway in Riverside County.

The stunt landed him in the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest limousine ramp jump, beating a previous 75-foot jump Hughes made in Las Vegas. He seriously injured his back when a mountain of car tires intended to cushion his landing separated, and he crashed into a wall.

But Hughes was not deterred.

The next year, he tried for a new record of 125 feet, covering his body in bubble wrap and gunning his 3-ton white Cadillac limousine up a ramp at 65 mph at the Orange Show Speedway in San Bernardino. He flipped over before reaching a cushion of tires but was unhurt.

His 2003 limo jump totally failed but his '02 jump apparently still holds the Guinness World Record, but pretty much only because no one else has ever bothered attempting it.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 25, 2020

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Holy poo poo his parachute fell off right at launch?????? Daaaaamn. He must have had time to realize he was about to die.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Holy poo poo his parachute fell off right at launch?????? Daaaaamn. He must have had time to realize he was about to die.

Nah, he was in his little capsule with no contact to the outside world. He probably had no idea. Everyone else there knew he was dead when he launched. It's a shame the surplus store didn't have any really cheap old walkie talkies they were throwing out he could have picked up for free, because obviously he's not going to waste his money buying them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
after closely analyzing the video and various artifacts and anomalies it's clear that this was edited to hide the fact that far from smashing into the earth, mad mike actually punctured the crust and shot down into the kingdom of the mole people

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Seems pretty clear that his goal was to play in a rocket and nothing else.

If you wanted to view the earth from up high, you only need a handful of helium balloons and a patio chair:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawnchair_Larry_flight posted:

On July 2, 1982, Larry Walters made a 45-minute flight in a homemade airship made of an ordinary patio chair and 45 helium-filled weather balloons. The aircraft rose to an altitude of over 15,000 feet (4,600 m) and floated from the point of takeoff in San Pedro, California, into and violating controlled airspace near Los Angeles International Airport. During the landing, the aircraft became entangled in power lines, but Walters was able to safely climb down. 

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nah, he was in his little capsule with no contact to the outside world. He probably had no idea. Everyone else there knew he was dead when he launched.

he probably had an inkling when he saw the ground straight ahead and didn't feel any pull of deceleration from the parachute

the other amateur redneck rocket scientists probably thought his backup parachute was gonna deploy and save him in a last second miracle, because that's exactly the type who would be involved in that project

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*limousine bursts from falling capsule to set new jump record as onlookers slowly switch from shocked horror to awed cheers and applause*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shut up Meg posted:

Seems pretty clear that his goal was to play in a rocket and nothing else.

It looks like he got into dumb rocket stunts first and then flat earth bullshit some time after but I'm pretty sure he genuinely believed the earth was flat. He was also SovCit and he believed in a whole bunch of other dumbass conspiracies as well, and spent years trying to track down OJ Simpson and Barack Obama so he could serve them papers because he believed he'd legally bought the rights to those entities and the persons parading around using those names without his permission owed him money. He never did corner Obama (he turned up at his house but got turned away) but he did go and harass a whole bunch of people who were connected to him in some way such as the head of the Obama Foundation, someone at the Barack Obama Presidental Library, etc etc.

He was real goddamn crazy.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

*limousine bursts from falling capsule to set new jump record as onlookers slowly switch from shocked horror to awed cheers and applause*

this is now my official Mad Mike Hughs head-cannon

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Piggy Smalls posted:

I doubt he bothered to wire up a “shoot deployed” blinker

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I thought I read from an offical seeming news source that he was actually ejected from the vessel in flight. I'm 99% sure he was aware of his predicament and I have a hunch that it was the thrill he spent his entire life searching for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the rocket suddenly veered off on an angle when the parachute got torn off and the flight seemed to be much shorter than intended, it would have been pretty clear that something had gone real wrong

He apparently had three backup chutes in case the main one failed but :shrug:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It looks like he got into dumb rocket stunts first and then flat earth bullshit some time after but I'm pretty sure he genuinely believed the earth was flat. He was also SovCit and he believed in a whole bunch of other dumbass conspiracies as well, and spent years trying to track down OJ Simpson and Barack Obama so he could serve them papers because he believed he'd legally bought the rights to those entities and the persons parading around using those names without his permission owed him money. He never did corner Obama (he turned up at his house but got turned away) but he did go and harass a whole bunch of people who were connected to him in some way such as the head of the Obama Foundation, someone at the Barack Obama Presidental Library, etc etc.

He was real goddamn crazy.

It's a lot less funny when he's an untreated mentally-ill person, than a real life Wile E. Coyote.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Mozi posted:

after closely analyzing the video and various artifacts and anomalies it's clear that this was edited to hide the fact that far from smashing into the earth, mad mike actually punctured the crust and shot down into the kingdom of the mole people

He busted through the crust and is now trapped on the dark side of the flat Earth! Also known as the night side as the sun goes there at night, and fearsome beasts brachiate above the bottomless abyss.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

a boat appearing out of nowhere on the horizon of the ocean is literal proof of the curvature of the earth

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Actually it's a UFO (Unidentified Floating Object). Pay no heed to flags they might have or the apparent appearance of the crew, they are shapechangers who come from beyond the rim to cause trouble.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

VikingSkull posted:

a boat appearing out of nowhere on the horizon of the ocean is literal proof of the curvature of the earth

That whole time I was in LA I thought it was Catalina Island but it turns out there's no visible evidence of the Earth curving there so it was probably Japan or something

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Colonel Cancer posted:

He busted through the crust and is now trapped on the dark side of the flat Earth! Also known as the night side as the sun goes there at night...

This made me think about the flat earther's explanation of night time and the fact the sun never actually sets according to them but rather rotates around the centre point of the disc earth.

...so why does it appear to go down in the evening? If it was suspended in the sky rotating around a centre point surely it would never go down considering how loving huge it is?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This made me think about the flat earther's explanation of night time and the fact the sun never actually sets according to them but rather rotates around the centre point of the disc earth.

...so why does it appear to go down in the evening? If it was suspended in the sky rotating around a centre point surely it would never go down considering how loving huge it is?

Yeah they got explanations for all that. Stupid, stupid explanations.

Don't click unless you want to take a trip down a hosed up rabbithole
https://wiki.tfes.org/Sunrise_and_Sunset

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't click unless you want to take a trip down a hosed up rabbithole

I realised this was going to be a thing when I asked it. I'll tie a rope to myself so you can haul me back in when I've gone too deep.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sounds like 'Don't visit the sun during the day, only go at night' logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I got as far as "the light of the Sun setting on a Flat Earth" before x-ing out