Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

quote:

No warez. No warez, no cracks, no CD codes, no illegal programs that are used to either crack software or perform any malicious activity. Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc. You may find threads to discuss game emulation, do not post links to ROMs or ISOs or similar in those threads.
Let’s keep this conversation nice and clean, please don’t link to any sites or illegal downloads. This also isn't a how-to or anything, google is right over there you can figure it out on your own. This is just a conversation about your feelings on illegally downloading content.

Anyway, what do you think of internet piracy?

Personally, I’m a big fan of it, it’s free so what’s not to like? Plus, I haven’t seen an ad for anything in years. its great and I can’t believe in tyool 2019 there are still huge morons who order cable and suffer through advertisements everywhere. Even some streaming services have ads! Barbaric. “But what about those poor content creators” you might be thinking. Well I totally sympathize to a certain degree, if I download something I really enjoy or get a lot of use out of then I’ll totally purchase a legitimate copy, or donate to the creators or something. but any Hollywood blockbusters or big companies can eat my rear end, they already make more money then ill ever see in my lifetime so I can’t give a dangnabbit about them losing my :10bux:.

Do you still pirate things? Does the ethical dilemma of stealing content keep you up at night? Do you think piracy will be back on the rise once everyone and their grandma starts opening up their own streaming service? I think it might

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

If I told you I'd have to kill you.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I like downloading free movies but I'm also in a spot in my life where I'd rather pay five dollars to rent it on my tv than find my laptop, find/wait for a good download, and hook it up to my hdmi cable

Capitalism and laziness. It is beautiful and will destroy us all

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
when i was younger i pirated more out of convenience of not having to drive around somewhere to buy something. now with amazon and digital distribution i buy legitimate copies of things

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Many years ago younger Burt downloaded mp3s on the reg, but there wasn’t streaming available, now I use a service. I feel bad for stealing from Mariah. Lol

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Burt Sexual posted:

Many years ago younger Burt downloaded mp3s on the reg

If you haven't experienced the thrill of downloading weird-al-gangstas-paradise.mp3 only to get some incoherent and obscene rant instead, have you even truly lived?

Seriously 2.0
May 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I would steal a car, if I could get away with it. But I can't so I'm sticking to ripping mp3 files.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd download a car if it came taxed and insured so I could drive it on the road legally

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to steal everything online. Now I have more money than I know what to do with, so I just buy things on amazon

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
if anyone has any WarEz or cracks, maybe a stray ISO, do NOT pm them to me

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I used Napster, what.cd and NMP3s. I regret nothing. Now I just use Spotify because I’m old and :effort:

I really miss what.cd. It was a super nice, well-maintained site.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
whoa whoa whoa bud u just cant slide in here and go all AC Slater style sitting ok bub?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I would totally download a car

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Giant_Pupils posted:

I really miss what.cd. It was a super nice, well-maintained site.

pour one out for a real one

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Away all Goats posted:

I would totally download a car

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I miss getting all my music from LimeWire, tbh. You could download all sorts of random poo poo on there and for a long time it was pretty much virus-free!

Those days are over, though. Tragic.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Labes for days posted:

I miss getting all my music from LimeWire, tbh. You could download all sorts of random poo poo on there and for a long time it was pretty much virus-free!

Those days are over, though. Tragic.

do not download gamecube.exe
I speak from experience

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I used to pirate everything because I was a teen that wanted to spend what little disposable income I had on weed and alcohol. Pirating was technically legal in my country anyway. Now I'm grown up I buy things I actually enjoy. Besides, I don't have nearly as much time to spend on gaming and stuff as I used to.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Burt Sexual posted:

Many years ago younger Burt downloaded mp3s on the reg, but there wasn’t streaming available, now I use a service. I feel bad for stealing from Mariah. Lol

the problem is that streaming is basically as bad as piracy, as far as income is concerned. the money made from spotify and the like is trivial, even for people with huge names and active careers.

i think piracy is pretty cool, i learned a lot of poo poo by listening to pirated music as a kid, stuff i could never have learned if i'd had to buy every album at the mall. but now i'm not sure. i know a few musicians that aren't household names, but have a devoted following, and they've basically ceased to make money from recordings of their music. all the money is in live gigs and merch.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taeke posted:

I used to pirate everything because I was a teen that wanted to spend what little disposable income I had on weed and alcohol. Pirating was technically legal in my country anyway. Now I'm grown up I buy things I actually enjoy. Besides, I don't have nearly as much time to spend on gaming and stuff as I used to.

what this guy said

nut
Jul 30, 2019

i have lately gotten into downloading crack rock

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You haven't seen an anti-piracy ad in years because people like you illegally downloaded the commerical so many times that they ran out of money and couldn't keep airing them. Way to go rear end in a top hat

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

You haven't seen an anti-piracy ad in years because people like you illegally downloaded the commerical so many times that they ran out of money and couldn't keep airing them. Way to go rear end in a top hat

lol

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I've pirated a bunch of the Marvel movies because I don't like them enough to sit through 3 hours of CGI cutscene in the cinema and don't want to own them, but I still feel obliged to be aware of what happens in them because it's all everyone talks about. Though after 3 attempts I still haven't managed to get through Endgame.

Other than that it's just obscure or out-of-print movies from decades ago that aren't available to watch anywhere outside a few private tracker sites.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I got an angry note from my isp about it so I just get CDs from the library now. They are missing some stuff I want but I’ve found a heck of a lot I didn’t know I wanted.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
imagine giving money to the rape industry that is hollywood

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUiMIfZs6XI

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
piracy is less a question of money or morals than of convenience, and its best friend right now is platform exclusivity
spotify/apple music/youtube basically annihilated music piracy... except for things that were exclusive to tidal

netflix had tv and movie piracy on the ropes, but now that the big companies are going to war with them and pretty much just reinventing all the problems with tv, expect piracy to resurge
we already have netflix, hulu, amazon, and hbo go, nobody wants to also buy in to disney, cbs, and whatever the gently caress else for the rest of their goddamn lives when you can just do a search for "watch ______ free online" and you will probably find a shady site hosting whatever it is you're looking for (and moreover one that you get to keep forever if you want)

pc gaming is going the same direction thanks to licensing bullshit and storefront exclusivity. steam and gog made their money by being more convenient than piracy. disney and epic want a slice of the pie, but by trying to cut it out of their competitors, they're making piracy a stronger platform

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
So what you're saying is we need to make piracy more difficult...

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Some find happiness in relationships, self-actualization, beauty or whatever.

For me happiness is a cd-r full of warez, it's contents listed on the disc with a felt-tip pen in acronyms undecipherable to all but the most volatile lunatics

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Now I have Google music I wish I could choose cars like that

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
there is no such thing as a backwadrs facing chair, i think you meant sits in a char backwards facing op

Lovely Primate
Jan 21, 2011

Piracy is great because if you're using something like Plex.tv then you can have everything in one place. And that's all I really want.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mnoba posted:

there is no such thing as a backwadrs facing chair, i think you meant sits in a char backwards facing op

*oxma probes you for misspelling in a grammatical correction

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't pirated anything in years and don't really care if people pirate stuff, but it is absolutely stealing and anyone who argues otherwise is just trying to argue semantics and that is the lowest form of arguing right below literally flinging poo poo at your opponent.

It always used to make me real mad when people tried to say it wasn't stealing.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

As for as anti-piracy ads, only the I.T. Crowd had one that I think would be effective.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 11, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I pay for cable and go to the theater but piracy is still better because I can press one button when watching a trailer or seeing an upcoming film listed and have it perfect quality weeks before its release date.

Meanwhile every studio thinks it needs its own streaming service and custom apps.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Back in the day, you paid for physical copies of things and it made sense to pay money, but now that everything is downloaded, I am not sure what I am paying for when buying is the same thing as downloading for free. They need to figure that out a little better.

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
stealing from the entertainment industry is good and cool, I hope they go broke and burn to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Back in the day, you paid for physical copies of things and it made sense to pay money, but now that everything is downloaded, I am not sure what I am paying for when buying is the same thing as downloading for free. They need to figure that out a little better.

Downloading is better because they can decide to shut down the service and disappear your bought copy at any time