Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Overall it was all right. Better than The Hateful Eight, which was a pile of dogshit by comparison. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood shows a maturity that was lacking in that giant pile of poo poo. It was a very well done immersion into the time period of late 60s LA. Pretty nice that Brad and Leo have been fully absorbed as recurring players in Tarantino's repertoire, they are really solid actors and not hard to look at.

But man does this guy ever love feet. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Does it end in a shoot out?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

glad to hear it's ok.

After Kill Bill it seemed like Tarantino went straight up his own dick pipe and made watching anything he touched more than cringe-worthy and all I really wanted from this was...not that, frankly.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Does it end in a shoot out?

No, but it's worth the price of admission

This is a very slow-paced movie if you're expecting a Django or Inglorious Basterds, where an entire five minute sequence is devoted to Pitt driving home or twice that to DiCaprio performing a scene on set. There's even a scene where they're literally just watching DiCaprio's character on a tv show and cracking jokes. Regardless, I like that the actors and scenes had a chance to breathe and live.

Those two put out a masterclass in acting and it'll be a crime if neither of them win something

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 12, 2019

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
In classic Tarantino fashion there is gratuitous, unnecessary violence against women (unless you reject that "hypothesis")

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Is the runtime over 3 hours?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Hateful Eight was easily my least favorite Tarantino flick. I still liked it, but yeah.

Once Upon a Time is a pretty middle of the pack movie for him. Definitely worth seeing because it's still the best thing to check out in mainstream theaters now. I felt like I was expecting more but whatever disappointment I have is on myself because of that.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

my dog died im sad posted:

Is the runtime over 3 hours?

15m under. It felt like a long movie but I wasn't ever bored.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
While I mostly agree about hateful eight it was fun to see the panavision version at a local theater.
I think Tarantino is one of the handful of people still shooting on film. I could be wrong about that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Like if I HATED Django and Inglorious as 'Tarantino' flicks, how's this one gonna sit with me

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

Like if I HATED Django and Inglorious as 'Tarantino' flicks, how's this one gonna sit with me

It honestly felt more like a Coen brothers movie in some bits, but there are positive elements of classic Tarantino that shine through (there is some good dialogue)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

that's the best thing you could have said.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

It's absolutely nothing like either of those two. Once Upon a Time feels like the least "Tarantino" movie he's made so far, based on people's conceptions of his stuff. The great music is still there, "the dialogue" is still there. Lots of good performances.

I wasn't bored and I was invested in it, great performances all around. I feel like I'm going to forget about it after a while though. Whereas I can picture scene for scene and think of the exact dialogue for most of his other movies.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Or the worst, to the groans of like 12 billion people out there, but whatever.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

Or the worst, to the groans of like 12 billion people out there, but whatever.

Hey, there is the feet if nothing else

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

In classic Tarantino fashion there is gratuitous, unnecessary violence against women (unless you reject that "hypothesis")

There's a shitload of feet shots too.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
i Saw Hateful Eight last night and it really sucked , so I hope OP is right

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
The thing that sucks about Tarantino besides the fanboys is the fact that EVERY ONE of his movies has the characters talking around a table for 65 loving minutes about bullshit. Tarantino can suck all dicks forever.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I just wanted the whole movie to be Brad Pitt walking around the Manson ranch all creeped out

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Tarantino films are like windows releases. Good one, then bad one. then good one, then bad one.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Aishlinn posted:

Tarantino films are like windows releases. Good one, then bad one. then good one, then bad one.

windows releases, star wars releases, star trek movies, and dragon ball z episodes

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mnoba posted:

windows releases, star wars releases, star trek movies, and dragon ball z episodes

your posts

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Oh boy I can't believe how much I crinnnngeeeed at this movie oh golly it was cringeeeee worthy you know???

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
how many blatant dirty feet shots are in it op

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

i don't have good posts

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I really enjoyed this movie. Especially as a fan of cheesy western TV shows like "The Rifleman" and terrible italian movies from the 70s

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

What would you call necessary violence against women?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

JK Fresco posted:

What would you call necessary violence against women?

Violence against women is bad but I have to admit this was pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkK7kwRi7Q&t=201s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I haven't seen the movie yet, OP. But I'm curious how hard people are mental gymnasticking to shame Tarantino for violence against women when it turns out the women being violenced are the Manson Family.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

sure but those women irl out and out butchered a pregnant women and her friends. i laughed when tex got loving curbed on door frame. and suzane got roasted. i think tarantino has a bunch of issues but i love his stuff for the most part.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 12, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Das Boo posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet, OP. But I'm curious how hard people are mental gymnasticking to shame Tarantino for violence against women when it turns out the women being violenced are the Manson Family.

alot of twitter critics have never liked him for various reasons, some justified(closeness to weinstean, being a weird on the spectrum rear end in a top hat, him getting Uma Thurman hosed up in that accident, just weird poo poo) others its dumb prude poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robokomodo posted:

The thing that sucks about Tarantino besides the fanboys is the fact that EVERY ONE of his movies has the characters talking around a table for 65 loving minutes about bullshit. Tarantino can suck all dicks forever.
Those are the parts of his movies I like, the rest of them don't interest me lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mnoba posted:

i don't have good posts

:same:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I liked it a lot. Kind of nice to see a Tarantino movie with a lot of heartfelt stuff like anything with Cliff and his dog, Rick being encouraged by the child actor, and Sharon Tate being like an angelic presence.

Sometimes it's nice to have a film that's just a few minutes of driving around 60s Los Angeles with top 40 hits of the time playing.

As for the ending: Felt a lot like something Sam Peckinpah would have done and clearly was modeled after the end of Straw Dogs

(For the record, Tarantino is a pretty consistent director for me except I didn't care much for Reservoir Dogs, but I think Death Proof is underrated. If you're a film geek, you probably get more out of his work, sort of like how Godard, Truffaut, and Scorsese also are giving cinema lessons within their films)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How many times does Tarantino make Leo say the N-word?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

People didn't like Hateful 8? I thought it was awesome and fun and clever and i had a great time with the intermission and stuff. Oh no, too much talking in a movie? Would you rather watch more superhero poo poo? its not like anything else comes out nowadays.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Kill bill was cool I think

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Caesar Saladin posted:

People didn't like Hateful 8? I thought it was awesome and fun and clever and i had a great time with the intermission and stuff. Oh no, too much talking in a movie? Would you rather watch more superhero poo poo? its not like anything else comes out nowadays.

Seriously. Love or hate him Tarantino is one of the only people making original movies anymore.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
He knows we’re onto him with the feet stuff and is just loving around with us as this point (not that he isn’t also jerking off to it, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Resting Lich Face posted:

Seriously. Love or hate him Tarantino is one of the only people making original movies anymore.

To be fair, most people aren't allowed to