Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Pewdiepie posted:

Thank you Goon sir for the epic guide. I've followed your steps and now I am successfully living alone in an uninhabited area. For the epic win!

Aren't you incredibly wealthy from stupid internet poo poo? Just spend a good million or so to have all the labor done for you. You don't need my advice. You imbecile, you utter moron. What the gently caress is all the money for otherwise?

Now lets talk generators. You'll need one if you are going off grid, running a battery based solar electric system. Any questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
It's not really pewdiepie, I'm pretty sure they ban nazis on sight here.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
You can make hydroelectric dam and bypass the need for solar power completely. Just know that a lot people will work there and it is possible they build a town around the dam

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

It's not really pewdiepie, I'm pretty sure they ban nazis on sight here.

Ah man, I thought I had my chance to insult an internet celebrity.

Bummer.

Anyways, offer stands. I've gone remote, live in a forest, etc. Happy to share with fellow goons if there are questions.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

How fast can you make a pb&j sandwich in tye woods at 3am in the morning? can you do this before your sleepiness wears off so that you can go back to sleep quick

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Internetjack posted:

Ah man, I thought I had my chance to insult an internet celebrity.

Bummer.

Anyways, offer stands. I've gone remote, live in a forest, etc. Happy to share with fellow goons if there are questions.

Yes, well it's a common mistake. Though the name is similar/same and he parrotes a lot of the same catchphrases as the real pewdiepie like "for the win" and "goon sir" perhaps he even pmed you about joining a rally of some kind. There is certain characteristics that give it away, such as an absence of racial epithets in his posts, which the real pewdiepie would use rather liberally and often inappropriately.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Sharik posted:

How fast can you make a pb&j sandwich in tye woods at 3am in the morning? can you do this before your sleepiness wears off so that you can go back to sleep quick

Probably an hour and a half. I'd have to drive to town for the PB and J. It's about 1/2 hour drive each way. There is a Walmart though, and I think they are open 24/7.
I can knock out a BLT in 20 mins though. Got all the ingredients on hand for that.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Willfrey posted:

You can make hydroelectric dam and bypass the need for solar power completely. Just know that a lot people will work there and it is possible they build a town around the dam

You can do micro-hydro charging a battery bank if you have a decent creek on your property(or do both solar and hydro!). A good creek with at least 40' head and 40 gpm starts to justify the cost of the turbine and infrastructure compared to solar if you have a decent hydro site.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Internetjack posted:

My biggest question isn't about plumbing or off the grid engineering. What state do you live in (if you're in the US) and how much bullshit did the local government give you when you tried to start the operation? Legit question, I've been wondering about this myself.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I’m a big nerd and couldn’t live without electricity and internet. That being said both myself and my girlfriend want to escape to a semi rural lifestyle and have been working in that direction.

We’ve currently got a 400 square meter market garden growing crops in a sustainable way just to see if we could do it, we’ve got a ton of different fruit and nut trees growing in pots ready to transplant once we’ve bought land.

We’re just about to make the leap and get a bee hive, chickens and ducks after doing research and getting a course/demonstration from a bee keeping friend.

I’ve been getting into woodworking and have been slowly picking up tools second hand.

Take steps towards your dream but don’t just run off into the woods. We’ll most likely buy between 5 and 15 acres and hopefully never see our neighbors.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Just remember, take a bus that you pay for in cash at least several hundred miles before you mail your "packages"

Also if I'm reading these notes right, don't get your brother involved

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
And don't mess with your neighbors dogs you sick bastard!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Tom Gorman posted:

My biggest question isn't about plumbing or off the grid engineering. What state do you live in (if you're in the US) and how much bullshit did the local government give you when you tried to start the operation? Legit question, I've been wondering about this myself.

Idaho.

The government bullshit has changed a lot in the last 5 years. Use to be, "the county has decided to de-fund the positions of building code inspectors", seriously.

If you are still doing things "yourself" you have a lot of leeway skipping/ dodging/flying under the radar for a lot of BS permitting poo poo. "Yourself" is pretty nuanced. You can still hire labor to build stuff for you, you just can't "contract" them to do it for you, otherwise you have to pull permits and jump through the hoops. Idaho has gone from being a serious libertarian "leave me alone" state to one of the worst nanny states ala New Jersey or Oregon in the last few years though.

You can still build a completely safe and code compliant homestead with UL/NEC approved equipment, but in the last couple years, suddenly Boise decided they want a cut of that pie.

If your're doing it yourself in a remote location, no one will care. If you are hiring contractors to build everything for you, they will have to pull permits, and you will spend a couple thousand dollars more, and a good half year to get some idiot in an office that has no clue to rubber stamp your project. If you have the money, do it above board and run the gauntlet; if you have the time, do it yourself and learn how to build a homestead.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Abongination posted:

I’m a big nerd and couldn’t live without electricity and internet. That being said both myself and my girlfriend want to escape to a semi rural lifestyle and have been working in that direction.

We’ve currently got a 400 square meter market garden growing crops in a sustainable way just to see if we could do it, we’ve got a ton of different fruit and nut trees growing in pots ready to transplant once we’ve bought land.

We’re just about to make the leap and get a bee hive, chickens and ducks after doing research and getting a course/demonstration from a bee keeping friend.

I’ve been getting into woodworking and have been slowly picking up tools second hand.

Take steps towards your dream but don’t just run off into the woods. We’ll most likely buy between 5 and 15 acres and hopefully never see our neighbors.

This goon gets it. The answer is baby steps to learn your way, not just diving into the deep end head first.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
apparently most goods in Alaska are expensive so how do you feel about making your furniture? also produce is expensive so either get used to onions, potatos. or shipping?

thats weird because i feel like Alaska would be fertile but im not from the north.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just dig for that sweet sweet Alaskan gold and soon people will be lining up to sell you goods and produce for your real, hard, non-fiat currency

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

so how do you feel about making your furniture?

If you are so inclined; you want to learn, you want to build a shop, you want to make stuff, a wood-working shop is awesome.

I still leach off my mom's shop. We built it together, adding tools/machines over time. Dust collection system as well. You buy stuff as you need it for the project. Only thing we don't have at this point is a lathe. Got a broken one for free. Gave it away a couple days later. Don't really need one yet.

Between our two homes I'd estimate we've built about 20% of the furnishings and cabinetry. A lot of stuff is easy; tables, benches, picture frames. Cabinetry and hinges is mid-level and do-able as you learn, but neither of us are carpenters. There gets to be a tipping point where it is easier and more cost-effective to just buy the thing or pay someone else to do it.

Also, we use wood off our properties. We have a neighbor with a portable saw mill. If we pile a few logs up he will come down for a day or two and cut some lumber for us, which we store in the barn. Yay! wood supply for the next two years using stuff off our land.

If you choose to live remote, be cool with your neighbors (that live a 1/2 mile away). Even if they have different politics and ideologies, assuming they aren't abhorrent, do the best to get along with them Ann Landers style. They will help pull you out of ditches in the winter, they will return your dog that ran away, etc. Just be chill, it's a spectrum, even out in the woods.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
it's okay to admit it if you want to bang a sasquatch op

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

living in the woods is boring as hell it doesnt even have ps4 and youll get eaten by a bear

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I gotta know, what's the bathroom situation? Simple pit toilet, composting deal, or are you tied in with a real system?

I don't mind making GBS threads in the woods but it's not for everyone, my wife is less than keen on the idea.

Also re: boredom
I have to believe that even without internet a human being can survive and keep themselves entertained. The book I mentioned earlier itt had a guy who abandoned society for something like 15 years. When asked what he did all day he would say "nothing," and that he ended up wishing he could do it again.
If there's even enough power a single raspberry pi you can amass enough stored entertainment beforehand to last you forever.

BONESAWWWWWW fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 15, 2019

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I gotta know, what's the bathroom situation? Simple pit toilet, composting deal, or are you tied in with a real system?

I don't mind making GBS threads in the woods but it's not for everyone, my wife is less than keen on the idea.

For part timing it in summer months a pit toilet/outhouse works fine. Paint it nice, decorate it, put in a magazine rack.
Neighbor with a back-hoe scraped out a 6' deep pit at 3' wide and we laid logs across the span then built a deck then built an outhouse over the hole.

Great in summer, totally sucks in cold weather. Besides trying to take a poo poo at 30F with a blanket across your legs while your pants are around your ankles, your poo poo freezes shortly after dropping. A poo poo cone starts to build from the bottom of the pit up, slowly reaching up to your toilet seat. I had a neighbor relate the tale of his frozen poo poo cone growing so high it actually was reaching the height of the toilet seat, and he had to get a 6' metal pry bar to slam down there and break it up. Terrifying indeed. But, still works great in the summer months. (also you use hydrated lime, just a dash after every poo poo to keep the smell controlled. It actually works very well).

For long term, you put in a septic tank and drain field. Septic tank is buried near the house typically and handles most of the deterioration of the black water to grey water. Either through gravity or pumps the effluent is then sent to a drain field (away from creeks, water sources) so the grey water can recycle into the ground. Maybe every 10-20 years you have to have a septic service clean/pump the main tank, if you really poo poo a lot.

Honestly, an off-grid home has all the amenities and features of a typical household, its all just done a bit different, and as a home owner in the middle of the forest you have to be ready to be the first responder to any problems that arise.

Edit: composting toilets. Super GREEN! yay! As long as you're are cool with handling trays of your own half-composted poo poo every couple weeks. Boo!

Funny story from a co-worker. When he was serious bachelor, he lived in a place with no toilet. He made a throne to sit on and move around the property. He'd dig a small hole in one spot and poo poo there for a week. Fill in the hole and move the throne to a new spot. He was in the middle of no-where and would just sit out in the open enjoying his panoramic views while making GBS threads. Literally making GBS threads in the middle of open acreage, taking a poop and enjoying the view. loving awesome. Again though; great in the summer, sucked in the winter.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 15, 2019

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Where in ID? I'm out here in Idaho County. Been looking at property in the Elk City area and makin a little rv/shop weekend getaway

Edit: indoor composting toilets. You get normalized to the smell, visitors notice a earthy scent

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
There's some town in northern Idaho that's like Mecca for cynical retired cops but I can't remember the name.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
don't let society force you out. you have as much a right to be here as anyone else and these days there are plenty of abandoned buildings to squat in

also don't forget about vacation homes they are well-stocked abandoned buildings for most of the year

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Like many goons, I am an overpaid computer toucher. I live most of my life plugged in to modern tech, programming, and starting (but never finishing) endless electronics projects.

In reality, this is probably doing me no favors. This, and the amount of Stupid radiating from most of the world, gives me this nagging feeling of running off into the woods and living like a cave person. Or building a small cabin, leaving my job, and "roughing it," even though realistically I have none of the skills required for self-preservation.

Many (perhaps most) of the other Computer Touchers I've spoken about this with share a shockingly similar desire. But that I know of has made a move on that feeling.

Is this common among all people or just Extremely Online people? Has anyone itt actually pulled it off? What's the secret?

Or is this the beginning of how people turn into doughy, unfulfilled adults who love to grill and drink with "the boys" at the hunting cabin (no wives allowed)?

Perfectly normal guy thing.

If you are good with saving you could absolutely buy an acre, or so, of land somewhere outside the city/town limits and put up a kit cabin.

Hell, you could even live there and just drive into the city to do stuff every now and again.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Internetjack posted:

This goon gets it. The answer is baby steps to learn your way, not just diving into the deep end head first.

On the other hand, OP should double-down on making an even more insane goal. Say... walking across the US. You could even do it for a cause! Raising awareness for mental illness, maybe?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

As someone with the Urge, what can be done to satisfy it?
Meetup.com -> camping/hiking/rock-climbing

I do 3 day weekend getaways all the time and get back to nature, scratches that itch for me.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I think that the recent trend of youtube "survival house building" videos has had a big influence on how much people want to do this kind of thing.

The algorithm recommends them to computer touchers, especially people who play stuff like Minecraft, and have ever googled a Minecraft video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4E1gPBh0_eJ5oftWVsewZA

Not gonna embed a video, but a channel like that.

It's usually a guy who goes to the Phillipines or wherever and exploits some locals to build a cool house from mud and bamboo and pays them. But they make 1000x more than what they pay with their 40m views.

A lot of people see that and think "I can do that!"

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 15, 2019

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Internetjack posted:

For part timing it in summer months a pit toilet/outhouse works fine. Paint it nice, decorate it, put in a magazine rack.
Neighbor with a back-hoe scraped out a 6' deep pit at 3' wide and we laid logs across the span then built a deck then built an outhouse over the hole.

Great in summer, totally sucks in cold weather. Besides trying to take a poo poo at 30F with a blanket across your legs while your pants are around your ankles, your poo poo freezes shortly after dropping. A poo poo cone starts to build from the bottom of the pit up, slowly reaching up to your toilet seat. I had a neighbor relate the tale of his frozen poo poo cone growing so high it actually was reaching the height of the toilet seat, and he had to get a 6' metal pry bar to slam down there and break it up. Terrifying indeed. But, still works great in the summer months. (also you use hydrated lime, just a dash after every poo poo to keep the smell controlled. It actually works very well).

For long term, you put in a septic tank and drain field. Septic tank is buried near the house typically and handles most of the deterioration of the black water to grey water. Either through gravity or pumps the effluent is then sent to a drain field (away from creeks, water sources) so the grey water can recycle into the ground. Maybe every 10-20 years you have to have a septic service clean/pump the main tank, if you really poo poo a lot.

Honestly, an off-grid home has all the amenities and features of a typical household, its all just done a bit different, and as a home owner in the middle of the forest you have to be ready to be the first responder to any problems that arise.

Edit: composting toilets. Super GREEN! yay! As long as you're are cool with handling trays of your own half-composted poo poo every couple weeks. Boo!

Funny story from a co-worker. When he was serious bachelor, he lived in a place with no toilet. He made a throne to sit on and move around the property. He'd dig a small hole in one spot and poo poo there for a week. Fill in the hole and move the throne to a new spot. He was in the middle of no-where and would just sit out in the open enjoying his panoramic views while making GBS threads. Literally making GBS threads in the middle of open acreage, taking a poop and enjoying the view. loving awesome. Again though; great in the summer, sucked in the winter.

Can I pay someone to do the compost handling for me.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Pewdiepie posted:

Can I pay someone to do the compost handling for me.

Goddamn, goon, you are pretty thick. Are you the real pewdiepie guy or not?

Internetjack posted:

Aren't you incredibly wealthy from stupid internet poo poo? Just spend a good million or so to have all the labor done for you. You don't need my advice. You imbecile, you utter moron. What the gently caress is all the money for otherwise?

Willfrey posted:

Where in ID?

Pan handle, Bonner County/Boundary County area.

Rad-daddio posted:

There's some town in northern Idaho that's like Mecca for cynical retired cops but I can't remember the name.

Mark Furhman(sp?) moved to outside of Sandpoint after the OJ trial. Had a nice farm with a red barn and all that. Drove by it a few times.
He moved after about 5-10 years though over to Washington, hosted some stupid call-in radio show for a while.
Word on the street was that every neighbor around him was "gently caress off you racist pig". I don't thick he felt welcome. :(

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
I burned out on my career about 8 years ago, so I quit and hosed off for 6 months to hike the Appalachian trail.
Felt like a new man afterwards. I went into a different line of work and I'm much happier now.
That being said, I wasn't married at the time. Definitely would have been tougher to disappear for that long if I had someone back home waiting for me.
I still get wanderlust, but 2-4 day backpacking trips on a semi-regular basis help with that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Do what my uncle did. Sold his house in an inflated retail market, and moved to a former logging town where the work dried up and everyone moved away. Doubled his house size for half the money, and everyones spread out far enough that you're basically living alone, only there's someone to come help you if you fall down the stairs. Also since theres some sort of community, there is utilities and food isn't absurdly expensive.

Just have to watch out for cougars and bears wandering around looking for pets to snack on.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 16, 2019

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

eh don't feel like gettin mad about real estate

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 16, 2019

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Rutibex posted:

for reference this is what is considered "crown land"

hahaha, Canada will regret not using all those trees to build a wall when they had the chance

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Check out this success story, OP!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896418

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zoe posted:

hahaha, Canada will regret not using all those trees to build a wall when they had the chance

we have actually created an anti-wall where the trees are cleared, straight across the continent. this is so the deer and bears know when they are crossing the border i assume: