Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I had this chick behind the counter at a cafe in Disneyland give me a REAL big exasperated sigh when I asked her if she thought the muffins were alright

also Tokyo Disney sucks major rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I recently went to Disneyland and made a mobile order for some food. This was right when the fireworks show was about to start, so the traffic was immense. I get to the food place and it was boarded up. They should've loving told me on the food app that it closes at 9. 13 bucks down the tubes. My wife keeps bugging me to "get my money back" but I have no idea where to even start for something like that.

shrune
Aug 15, 2019

the only time ive been there was when i was like 3. i remember two things: the teacup ride and a doctor having to put his finger up my butt because i had chronic constipation. good times

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

shrune posted:

the only time ive been there was when i was like 3. i remember two things: the teacup ride and a doctor having to put his finger up my butt because i had chronic constipation. good times
You sure that was a doctor? I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't have those services at the park.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Leon Einstein posted:

I recently went to Disneyland and made a mobile order for some food. This was right when the fireworks show was about to start, so the traffic was immense. I get to the food place and it was boarded up. They should've loving told me on the food app that it closes at 9. 13 bucks down the tubes. My wife keeps bugging me to "get my money back" but I have no idea where to even start for something like that.

Lol just do a chargeback on the credit card if it’s under 20 bucks a lot of places don’t even fight it

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Lol just do a chargeback on the credit card if it’s under 20 bucks a lot of places don’t even fight it
I did one recently for some bullshit charge for like 40 bucks from some shady Chinese company and the CC company made me jump through tons of hoops. I was surprised.

shrune
Aug 15, 2019

Leon Einstein posted:

You sure that was a doctor? I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't have those services at the park.

drat i guess they dont. it had to be off site.
moral of the story is dont take a 3 year old to disney they are stupid wont remember poo poo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

yippeekiyaymf posted:

I doubt this has changed but yes. You can go and formally compliment a cast member. They get recognition and honestly it goes a long way when most of the time you are dealing with just horrible people. Those recognitions really buoy morale. Plus management knows which is a plus.

This is good to know. I didn't realize you could do this either

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unrelated, has anyone told any of you Have a Disney Day? Because supposedly that's gently caress you in Disney speak.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Leon Einstein posted:

I haven't used that app, but doesn't it make you pick a time slot for the order? Sucks that the time is when they were closed. It's probably too late now, but I'm sure if you stopped at their customer service or called them back when it happened they would have refunded it and probably given you some free food.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't used that app, but doesn't it make you pick a time slot for the order? Sucks that the time is when they were closed. It's probably too late now, but I'm sure if you stopped at their customer service or called them back when it happened they would have refunded it and probably given you some free food.

Yeah, it was my fault because I thought I'd get there earlier. Then they started putting up barricades and what not to prepare for the fireworks and the crowds started moving much slower.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The mobile ordering is awesome becauseI've used it while waiting in line and I just hop over to the mobile pickup and get my food way before if I had stayed in line

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Toxic Mental posted:

also Tokyo Disney sucks major rear end

Really? I haven't been, but I've heard the exact opposite from friends that Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are much more cleaner, better maintained, and the whole parks are much more beautiful with an attention to detail that puts their American counterparts on notice. :shrug:

What did you dislike about it? Just curious.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I just told the goofy n word story to my wife's coworkers and everyone busted up. I dont know why that's so funny but it so is

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shrune posted:

drat i guess they dont. it had to be off site.
moral of the story is dont take a 3 year old to disney they are stupid wont remember poo poo

i know a family that goes to disneyland every year, at the same time of year every year. they've been doing this for like ten years now i think.

it's baffling to me. like at some point wouldn't you decide to save up and do disneyworld? i've been to disneyland twice (once when i was 10 and once when i was 17 - the latter sucked because i got a massive head cold right before the trip down so i was miserable most of the time) and if i was going to do a disney park again it'd be disneyworld.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I just remembered being at a daycare program at one of the Disney World hotels. I was about seven or eight years old at the time. The daycare was a pleasant room with lots of space and natural light, plenty of toys for everyone, and even a TV playing Ducktales. I was having a nice time sitting and watching the TV when I heard a peppy young daycare staffer announce how he and the rest of the staff loved having us kids there and how they wanted us to stay there forever!

I could feel my eyes pop open in shock. Oh no, I thought. They're going to keep me here forever, I may never see my parents again! I didn't panic, though. I wasn't stupid. I knew if I simply bolted, the staff would catch me and drag me back. If I was going to escape this place, I would have to be smart about it. I needed to bide my time, act quiet and cooperative, and wait for my chance to slip out undetected.

That chance came about 30 minutes later, when my parents picked me up without incident. :geno:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 16, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Really? I haven't been, but I've heard the exact opposite from friends that Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are much more cleaner, better maintained, and the whole parks are much more beautiful with an attention to detail that puts their American counterparts on notice. :shrug:

Disneyland is not my thing at all, but I was impressed with Tokyo.
Everything has that Japanese attention to detail and perfection and absolutely everyone there is having fun and has made an effort to dress up.

Whereas Disneyland Paris had that French attention to detail and there were gauloise cigarette ends, sun-bleached crisps packet and the stench of urine in every singel artifical cave.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
one time I went to Disney World, which was horribly wrong because Disney World sucks

long live Universal Studios

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
RIP the Kongfrontation ride

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

olives black posted:

one time I went to Disney World, which was horribly wrong because Disney World sucks

long live Universal Studios

my mom got winked at by popeye at universal. she blushed

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

End of Shoelace posted:

my mom got winked at by popeye at universal. she blushed

What happened when Jesus went to Mount Olive?

Popeye got pissed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crossposting.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-whistleblower-told-sec-the-company-inflated-revenue-for-years-2019-08-19

quote:

A former Walt Disney Co. accountant says she has filed a series of whistleblower tips with the Securities and Exchange Commission alleging the company has materially overstated revenue for years.

Sandra Kuba, formerly a senior financial analyst in Disney’s revenue-operations department who worked for the company for 18 years, alleges that employees working in the parks-and-resorts business segment systematically overstated revenue by billions of dollars by exploiting weaknesses in the company’s accounting software.

Kuba said she has met with officials from the SEC on several occasions to discuss the allegations.

A spokeswoman for the SEC declined to comment.

A Disney spokesperson said the company had reviewed the whistleblower’s claims and found that they were “utterly without merit.”

Kuba’s whistleblower filings, which have been reviewed by MarketWatch, outline several ways employees allegedly boosted revenue, including recording fictitious revenue for complimentary golf rounds or for free guest promotions. Another alleged action Kuba described in her SEC filing involved recording revenue for $500 gift cards at their face value even when guests paid a discounted rate of $395.

Kuba has also alleged that employees sometimes recorded revenue twice for gift cards, both when guests bought the gift card and when it was used at a resort. Sometimes, revenue was recorded even though a gift card was given to a guest for free following a customer complaint, for instance, according to the whistleblower’s allegations.

Kuba’s filing alleges that flaws in the accounting software made the manipulation difficult to trace, though the consequences could be significant. In just one financial year, 2008-09, Disney’s annual revenue could have been overstated by as much as $6 billion, Kuba’s whistleblower filing alleges. The parks-and-resorts business segment reported total revenue of $10.6 billion in 2009, according to its annual report filed with the SEC.

Kuba told MarketWatch she first reported the alleged revenue-recognition issues to management in 2013. She said that no one responded to her at that time. She said that she escalated her concerns to a more senior executive in 2016 and that Disney’s corporate audit group contacted her once in November 2016 but never followed up.

Kuba said she brought her concerns to the SEC in August 2017. She was fired from Disney about a month later.

In October 2017, Kuba filed a whistleblower-retaliation complaint with the Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Disney’s response to the department’s whistleblower office investigator’s inquiry said that Kuba’s employment was terminated because “she displayed a pattern of workplace complaints against co-workers without a reasonable basis for doing so, in a manner that was inappropriate, disruptive and in bad faith.”

Kuba has made two additional whistleblower filings since leaving the firm, including one this past June. The most recent tip alleges some Disney employees reclassified guest revenue from high-sales-tax items such as hotel rooms to lower-taxed items such as food and beverages with the purpose of significantly reducing sales tax liabilities in Florida, California and Hawaii. MarketWatch has reviewed the three filings and supporting documentation that was sent to the SEC.

The Disney spokesperson said: “The claims presented to us by this former employee — who was terminated for cause in 2017 — have been thoroughly reviewed by the company and found to be utterly without merit; in fact, in 2018 she withdrew the claim she had filed challenging her termination. We’re not going to dignify her unsubstantiated assertions with further comment.”

Kuba said she has withdrawn her claim challenging her termination but reserves the right to resubmit it and continues to dispute Disney’s decision to fire her.

The whistleblower said she has talked with officials from the SEC by phone and met with them in person on more than one occasion, including as recently as last week, to discuss the allegations in her filings. The SEC has also requested additional documentation related to the allegations, based on correspondence reviewed by MarketWatch.

The pattern of interaction with the SEC suggests the regulator is taking the allegations seriously, said Jordan A. Thomas, a former attorney in the SEC’s enforcement division and chairman of Labaton Sucharow’s whistleblower-representation practice. As Thomas told MarketWatch: “The SEC receives more than 25,000 tips, complaints and referrals each year, and the vast majority do not make it this far. The fact that the SEC has asked for more information more than once and conducted interviews suggests an inquiry is underway.”

I really like the part about them recording the purchase of gift cards as income and then recording items bought with the cards as regular sales. It's like their accounting department is staffed by bitcoiners.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
seems weird that gift card shenanigans could account for 56% of the total parks and resorts revenue

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mozi posted:

seems weird that gift card shenanigans could account for 56% of the total parks and resorts revenue

I bet they could spin the use of the magic bands tied to a central disney account funded by your credit card as gift card revenue and sales.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Mozi posted:

Kuba further detailed practices involving exorbitant pricing schemes for mass produced items, including an eighteen dollar puka shell necklace and a twenty dollar enamel pin depicting Pocahontas' tree mom, just to name a few.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Mozi posted:

That and I’d think the balance sheet would reveal a problem with operating cash if they were overstating revenue to such a large degree.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FizFashizzle posted:

Fred Flintstone had these really big feet and could barely walk. While running he tripped and was swarmed like ants. Imagine a dozen kids beating the poo poo out of someone and all that's visible is his costumed hand reaching out for help.

When you get to hell, tell them Fred Flintstone sent ya!

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
I am waking up at 3:30am tomorrow to drive myself and my 4 year old to the airport so we can fly to Disney world so we can go to the Halloween party and trick or treat.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Shamino posted:

It's actually pretty heavy metal with an abs/led blade. It's weighty enough that my 7 and 4 year olds have a hard time swinging them around. Also you can change out the crystal inside to change the blade color and sound effects. Also the building ceremony is really fun.

Thank you for your service, epic Goon sir.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

$3300 to immerse yourself in a Star Wars LARP hotel and go to the Star Wars section of Disney World for the weekend. Not the whole park, just Star Wars. That's just if you want to go alone like some kind of weird Star Wars obsessed nerd with no family. If you actually have a family to bring with you it'll cost upwards of $7000.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Last time I was at Disney World I saw several dads with shirts that said "Most Expensive Day Ever" in the Disney font.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I guess nobody wearing that shirt has ever been admitted to the ER

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone got any stories about the great Disneyland measles outbreak of 2014?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Shut up Meg posted:

Disneyland is not my thing at all, but I was impressed with Tokyo.
Everything has that Japanese attention to detail and perfection and absolutely everyone there is having fun and has made an effort to dress up.

Whereas Disneyland Paris had that French attention to detail and there were gauloise cigarette ends, sun-bleached crisps packet and the stench of urine in every singel artifical cave.

First of all: Disneysea is just insanely boring. There are basically no good rides except for Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror, which will always have maybe 2 hours lines to get in because all the other rides blow, and it feels insanely underdeveloped and half-assed, especially the back half of the park. The main attraction that it has is that you can buy and walk around with beer there so it's good for adults or something (???). Also it has a cruise liner boat replica that looks like a smaller shittier Titanic that you can go onto and walk around, which I guess people find interesting for some reason (????????).

So about Tokyo Disney: Tokyo Disney blows. It feels like a huge void. It's also a little older and more 90's feeling, like the paint and signage and whatnot on all the buildings hasn't been refreshed in some places. The Los Angeles park is way more cozy and feels like it has a lot more detail everywhere, like there's no wasted space and everything is maxed out for eye candy and entertainment purposes. Tokyo Disneyland has a massive empty space in the center of it and it feels strange to be in. Instead of putting more rides to spread out the wait times they opted to have a giant circle and open space for some reason and so the park is a giant circuit with no natural feeling to it. It's a huge loop and it lacks any kind of heart. I don't know where this "Japanese attention to detail" thing comes from because everything is just an exact copy of the LA park but just positioned in a huge ring. It's not cleaner or dirtier than the American parks. I went to the LA one with my wife last November and didn't feel it was any better in that regard, though I will say it sucked rear end because a transformer blew and half the park didn't have electricity, so yeah, that sucked rear end, but it's not like that couldn't or hasn't happened in Tokyo Disneyland. I also met a few people who worked there when they were young for part-time jobs and they said it was insanely stressful, because 1. It's Japan and working and 2. They get treated like poo poo-clearing robots, not humans. Low pay, bad bosses and bad conditions.

Also, the weather in Japan is loving horrible - Hot and incredibly humid in the summer (interspersed with loving hurricanes), and bitterly cold and dry winters, so there's only maybe 2 months every year that you can really comfortably go there and it's going to be more packed than ever. And oh yeah, and it's loving PACKED. I mean, people think LA Disneyland is crowded but it has nothing on Tokyo, it's a giant sea of humans, you're constantly bobbling and walking in serpentine to avoid packs of high schoolers.

Disney in America is poo poo for kids and families, so the rides are usually an hour max to wait. In Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland is not just for kids and families, but middle and high school students as well, because I guess it's cute and it's okay to like cute things as a teenager in Japan. Imagine telling someone at 17 in America that you like Disney A LOT and then imagine the belittling you'll get. Yeah it's wrong, but it just means that the Tokyo park has that many more open Disney lovers going to it. It gets to be around 3 hours to go on any of the main rides during those peak months. I went to Tokyo Disneyland around 5 or 6 times when I was living there and there was one time my wife and I went there to literally ride one single ride and then just walked around because the lines were so long it would be pointless to try and ride anything else.

The one thing I will say that's good about Tokyo Disneyland is that the service is a fuckton better, LA Disneyland had some real genuine rear end in a top hat staff in it. People get more "into" Disney in Japan in the way that most people in America would consider unhealthy, like people who collect Disney poo poo in America are viewed. The food is still poo poo at both parks, as are the candies and souveniers, but a 20oz coke costs $6 at LA Disneyland, whereas it's only $2 at Tokyo Disney. Also, people get way more into the cosplay at Tokyo Disney and matching outfits and poo poo. It's a place for high schoolers to go to be seen and take selfies now mostly. Oh yeah and it's like half the price of LA Disneyland. $70 vs $140 for a loving ticket jesus christ.

To summarize, LA Disneyland has heart and charm and it's not crowded as gently caress but kind of expensive, but Tokyo Disneyland has none of those things and it feels weird and alien.

I had way more fun just walking around small town side streets and going to local festivals.

Thank you for reading my incredibly long Tokyo Disneyland diss post. God bless your mess.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 23, 2019

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

A kid in my town lost his thumb on Pirates of the Caribbean, the doctors transplanted his big toe, but it always just looked like a big toe stuck to a hand. I think the family got a ton of money because it was the ride’s fault. I would often wonder in a moral quandary sort of way if I’d trade a lifetime of lovely balance and a toethumb for a decent payoff.

The first time I went to Disney was when I was 5, I got diarrhea and we had to throw away my cool Transformers shorts. I had to wait alone in the bathroom while my mom bought Mickey swim trunks which I didn’t want to wear because my already growing goon mind couldn’t understand why I’d wear swim trunks if I wasn’t going to swim. Also, I was scared to ride Space Mountain because I thought you could get lost in it, I had this whole story in my head about how people just disappear in the dark. In typical 80s dad fashion my dad just carried me screaming into the front seat and I’m pretty sure just held me on his lap. I ended up loving it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

The Stroker Ace posted:

A kid in my town lost his thumb on Pirates of the Caribbean,
KEEP YOUR RUDDY HANDS INBOARD
THAT BE THE BEST WAY TO REPEL BOARDERS

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I've been an EMT at music festivals and pretty much every other kind of event but never worked theme park. Honestly it sounds like hell. Lots of sore feet, fat people falling down and kids screaming.
No thanks. I'll stick to the gerry ferry.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

The code for EMTs is Alpha Team. When someone was obviously beefing it, we'd call in an Alpha Team and we'd have to ask the person three times if they wanted medical help, regardless of whether or not they could answer. Three times is the magic number, I guess, to ward off lawsuits. If a guest is declared dead, they do it off-property when they can.

*dead body* ma'am would you like help? Do you require medical assistance?
... gotta ask one more time

e: spelling

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 23, 2019

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

I guess nobody wearing that shirt has ever been admitted to the ER

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Cubone posted:

KEEP YOUR RUDDY HANDS INBOARD
THAT BE THE BEST WAY TO REPEL BOARDERS

LOL.

In Space Mountain you can easily reach out and touch steel girders during the ride. Obviously just because you can doesn't mean you should. In fact you should not. There are pool noodles wrapped around most places you can do this, and the ride speed is slow enough that it generally shouldnt remove fingers if you hit one. But still just no. NO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW, here's (WDW's) Space Mountain with the lights on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kokrfOS_Q

Old rides were built with the assumption that warning people not to put their hands out would be enough. Newer roller coasters ensure that riders can't hit their hands on anything if they decide to ignore the rules.