Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Most "bad" films are just bad and boring, not in any entertaining way, despite the hyperbolic efforts of various podcasters to play them up: "ohmigod this movie was INSANE!"

But Battlefield Earth? The sort of bad that makes you question the judgement of everyone involved. It's awful and awkward with minutes of starting. The acting is terrible, even for thinly drawn characters. I suspect the producers knew it was terrible but thought it didn't matter, throw in some special effects, action and scenery chewing, and it'll be the next Star Wars.

The Room has the same quality. It's like it was directed by an alien who has no first hand experience of humans, and the edited at random or assembled by a computer from a list of tropes.

One perhaps smart commentary I read, frames The Room as the story of a relationship breakdown solely from the point-of-view of an oblivious man who thinks he's a great husband, has done all the right things, and can't understand what went wrong or why his wife is unhappy. Which casts the movie in a much darker light.

nonathlon has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I had reason to think of the legendarily terrible movie Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever which caused me to wonder who the director was. Then the mystery deepened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wych_Kaosayananda posted:

His directorial debut was Fah, released in 1998, which at the time was the highest-budgeted film in the history of the Thai film industry, but failed in the Thai box office.

His second film and American debut was the 2002 thriller Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, which upon release was widely panned by both critics and moviegoers as one of the worst films ever made. In March 2007, Rotten Tomatoes ranked the film #1 among "The Worst of the Worst" movie list.

Kaosayananda's post Ballistic films include Zero Tolerance, The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone, and Tekken 2: Kazuya's Revenge.

Started with a poo poo film, made another poo poo film, moved on to lovely films. How does this guy have a job?

nonathlon has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Apr 25, 2020

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
The look on that guys face is just hilarious. Like he's incredibly stoned and just holding it together and then music starts dancing and he's all UH DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S HAPPENING

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I went back and checked if i had posted about a movie before and while I had, I missed a post about Nemesis. That was one of THE movies to watch in high school. It had boobs, blood, and crazy action. Dude shoots a hole in the floor and falls through multiple stories to get away. to a 15 or 16 year olds mind, that's the poo poo right there.

Was Nemesis that odd cyberpunk / martial arts one, starring someone like Oliver Pyun?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I recollect it does a lot of place-hopping, titlesp cards coming up saying LOS ANGELES, DETROIT, JAVA. And at some point I lost track why they were in particular places, and just let the movie wash over me.