Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a cartoon duck posted:

being extremely into the idea of being married is a pretty straight thing to be honest

-- John J. Bursch, taking an unconventional approach while arguing his case to the US Supreme Court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I have 63 hours on my post-credits save.
Oh, that's not too intimidating. I look forward to the digital release, then.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

Oh, that's not too intimidating. I look forward to the digital release, then.

I suppose I should note that that's with me skipping through all the dialog.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Now that's closer to what I expected.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

a cartoon duck posted:

being extremely into the idea of being married is a pretty straight thing to be honest
lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

marriage in general is outlawed in Gensokyo, instead relying on the ancient practice of yobai for the yokai.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Somehow, I suspect nightcrawling on an actual bug youkai would be a terrible idea. And she's on the bottom of the totem pole as it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

shut.... the gently caress up. bitch.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

I would like to know what 20% you consider to not be terrible.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

a cartoon duck posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this, as a stereotype that might appear in a cartoon game, is true, and i do not understand the reaction to it. i mean we all know all the touhous are lesbians but its not like i expect zun to ever acknowledge it

e: like when i think of a character obsessed with marriage i think of like, monica from friends or a woman from an old timey show with a marriage chest. i think that's all they meant

ee: to put it another way, the idea of being obsessed with marriage itself instead of just wanting to marry someone you love comes from societal compulsory heterosexuality so it doesn't really apply very well to a gay character

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

this, as a stereotype that might appear in a cartoon game, is true, and i do not understand the reaction to it. i mean we all know all the touhous are lesbians but its not like i expect zun to ever acknowledge it

e: like when i think of a character obsessed with marriage i think of like, monica from friends or a woman from an old timey show with a marriage chest. i think that's all they meant

ee: to put it another way, the idea of being obsessed with marriage itself instead of just wanting to marry someone you love comes from societal compulsory heterosexuality so it doesn't really apply very well to a gay character

Endorph posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

serious post: the idea of wanting to be with someone you love in a stable relationship that you can come back to every day is not exclusive to straight people, lol, and we can talk all we want about the institution of marriage/christmas cake jokes but at the end of the day when most people talk about wanting to get married there is the subtext of (to someone they would enjoy being married to.) associating it purely with heterosexuality is basically taking those totally normal desires and saying gay people are too enlightened to want to have dinner every day with someone they love, because the institution of marriage is unwoke or something. it probably is but its what society is built around and its what people are socialized to want, and even removing those factors people like stability and comfort. i know plenty of gay people who wish they had that kind of relationship or feel like they won't be allowed to.

esp. in reimu's case where she both lives alone and is broke its pretty easy to imagine why shed have an interest in that kind of thing, on a completely separate axis from her sexuality

and in broader terms im not accusing cartoon duck of actually intending this at all but in a series that originates from a country where gay marriage is illegal saying 'only straight people are that invested in marriage' is kind of hosed, considering how desperately the gay community in japan wants it and the fact that they're literally currently fighting for it.

or in other words:

Endorph posted:

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 26, 2019

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'd marry Reimu.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

bring meira back is where this convo is going

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alright ive brought back the purple haired androgynous samurai

*konngara steps out to thunderous applause*

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

i don't think anybody is saying gay people don't want to be in a stable relationship with someone they love and it seems like serious reaching to imply anyone is, is all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

i don't think anybody is saying gay people don't want to be in a stable relationship with someone they love and it seems like serious reaching to imply anyone is, is all
the fact that multiple people had an issue with those posts and they got probated for it would seem to imply that some people did have these objections, regardless of the intent of the original poster

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Uh, gonna chime in as a gay gal, I absolutely want to have a loving wife I'm married to.

Am I gonna persue it with the same fervor some heterosexual women do (that often lands them in dead-end marriages)? No, but it's something I'd like. Duck's posts rubbed me the wrong way but I didn't feel comfortable airing my opinions out.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the 20% is the PCB winter outfits, especially

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

can someone report this post for a six hour probation so that I can be a part of this drama but without putting in any effort or making anyone unhappy

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

While I'm afraid of fanning the flames of this discussion, personally I think something attractive about Touhou to me, as an asexual/aromantic person, is that you can totally see the setting as asexual. That's not to say that none of the characters are in relationships or don't care about each other in that way--there's certainly been a lot of subtext in the comics especially--but more that no one seems to care that much? None of the characters define themselves or their motivations by their romantic relationships, if any. None of the stories are written around that kind of thing. It's just not... a big deal? At best we just see people being very casually comfortable with each other.

I dunno, I just like that a lot, and I think makes it stands out from most other media. Even in stories that aren't about romance, you always have one or two side characters who are entirely defined by their romantic feelings, for example.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Space Flower posted:

the 20% is the PCB winter outfits, especially

I actually really like TH6 Reimu

probably the best looking portrait in that game, at least. I like TH6's bomb cut in, I believe it's the smug one with the visible hand, too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That Reimu doesn't look grumpy enough.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

el dorito posted:

can someone report this post for a six hour probation so that I can be a part of this drama but without putting in any effort or making anyone unhappy
this post is annoyingly meta. you have already failed

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

While I'm afraid of fanning the flames of this discussion, personally I think something attractive about Touhou to me, as an asexual/aromantic person, is that you can totally see the setting as asexual. That's not to say that none of the characters are in relationships or don't care about each other in that way--there's certainly been a lot of subtext in the comics especially--but more that no one seems to care that much? None of the characters define themselves or their motivations by their romantic relationships, if any. None of the stories are written around that kind of thing. It's just not... a big deal? At best we just see people being very casually comfortable with each other.

I dunno, I just like that a lot, and I think makes it stands out from most other media. Even in stories that aren't about romance, you always have one or two side characters who are entirely defined by their romantic feelings, for example.
:same:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

el dorito posted:

No. :colbert:

Also, here's a Kagerou.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wark Say posted:

No. :colbert:

Also, here's a Kagerou.

https://twitter.com/LiriLias/status/1164674125064880128?s=19

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I should post more fanart in here. Of Reimu, obviously.

https://twitter.com/newpos/status/1164461349629337600

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/chamaruk/status/1165983421627166721?s=19

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

No, I agree from the opposite angle, if you catch my drift. The fact that there's so much romantic subtext but the characters are so relaxed about it makes it feel very mature and laid back, to me? Which works just as interesting romance - it's nice to see characters who both have some conflict and back and forth but are still comfortable with each other, and still have angles you can read as romance, without all of that being presented as opposed - and as a sexuality thing. It's nice to have a setting where it feels like lesbian relationships are just normal without it making any super huge point of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I will say though that the chapter where Tenshi shows up at Kasen's house and Kasen smells like Komachi and she has to make up excuses for it is incredibly funny to me.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i think i've been a fan of kasen/komachi ever since the chapter in wahh where she shows up sitting on kasen's round window in her house

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

I still remember the one chapter where Reimu and Marisa spy a human couple meeting under a snowy tree and shy away from them (I think it was actually a yuki-onna or ghost luring someone out?) and thinking to myself that's probably the most explicit relationship interaction we saw in the series so far. I hate to use this word but there's a sort of comfiness in how tame and low-priority these aspects are.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
While we're on the subject of character pairings, why are Tenshi and Shion together? Been kind of out of the loop for a bit, sorry.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CommissarMega posted:

While we're on the subject of character pairings, why are Tenshi and Shion together? Been kind of out of the loop for a bit, sorry.

One of the mangas has them striking up an unlikely friendship. IIRC Tenshi doesn't care for Shion's bringer of misfortune attribute or something.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Shion gravitated toward Tenshi after she and Jo'on split because Tenshi is so incredibly, naturally fortunate as a celestial that she not only is barely affected by Shion's own misfortune, but shields them both from it. Tenshi is genuinely sweet to Shion, too, which is like, super unique. In the end, they have what might be the most unambiguous romantic implications in the series.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

More specifically, it's directly from Shion's ending in AoCF (the game she debuted in), and somewhat surprisingly they were still hanging out together when they made cameos in WaHH.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Looking to make all these (minus hurt sprites) into a gif for avatar purposes but I suck at making gifs and don't know how to do it in a way that isnt really tedious so I'm posting it here on the slim chance that someone can do it for me quicker and better.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Highly Responsive To Prayers sounds metal as gently caress owuld i need an emulator to play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
nice hat

for a clownpiece to wear. at the circus