Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

I would like to know what 20% you consider to not be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

HGH posted:

I only found out about this pretty late, but the Chinese Touhou community is hosting an online international event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYpQAdkwAFQ

There's a Team China, Team Japan, and Team West, and they're competing in a bunch of games for either survival (no bombs allowed) or scoring, all on Lunatic (all the matches are listed in the video). It's already a bit more than halfway done but from what I've seen so far it's been a pretty impressive competition and display of skill.
Score is also counted using something called IScore, which weighs different shot types differently.
For example, in DDC Surival, ReimuA and SakuyaA are considered the best, so a successful no death/miss run as them nets 4 points (with each death halving the point total and a limit of no more than 5 deaths).
Meanwhile, SakuyaB is considered so awful that apparently no one has ever done a nobomb run with her without dying (the best is 1 death). As a result a successful no miss run as her nets 180 points.

I've only watched a couple archives of it so far but as a Normal player the whole experience has been pretty enlightening.

Yeah I've been watching the vods of TWC and it's a good watch. I'm also a normal player but I've followed Mino for a long time. In particular I noticed that the west has actually been doing extremely well.

I love Mino but I honestly don't know how I feel about how he talks about things sometimes. Like, the guy managed to get the first perfect run in the whole tournament, and maybe the only one (he destroyed the PCB survival round). But when he talks about the games in LPs and stuff it's like he thinks about Lunatic No Bomb runs as like, the typical baseline for Touhou players, and talks about his "old newbie days playing on normal" which he seemingly got out of after like 1 month of playing.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So there's a new high polish Chinese Touhou fan-shmup out on Steam, Elegant Impermanence of Sakura: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252320/Touhou_Kikamu__Elegant_Impermance_of_Sakura/

People seem to really like it, but at a high level I'm not a big fan of the heavily routed stage design. I'll probably check it out at some later point, not totally sure about this one though. The gimmick with the stages is that you have small enemies that fly across the screen that you're not supposed to kill, and big enemies with bubbles where killing them also kills all small enemies and erases all bullets in the bubbles, giving bonus points/resources. The stages are all routed so you can pop the bubbles at specific times to catch every small enemy.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I've 1cced all the Touhous except WBaWC on Normal (Pointdevice for LoLK ofc) and I finally got around to giving WBaWC a few tries yesterday. The visibility is really bad in that game I kind of don't want to try finishing it.

The last two stages are really fun though. It's a shame because I feel like I'd like the game a lot more if it weren't for the gimmick, which I hated in UFO and I hate just as much now that we have a rehash of it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

TD is still the lowest ranking mainline game in the fav series poll so I think Miko is just so rad and cool that she is very popular despite the game itself not being that well liked.

E: Wait, 2nd lowest. I think DDC ranks lower.

Wait what the gently caress? I consider 13 a low point for shmup design but DDC is probably my overall favorite. I kind of unironically think that it's good some shot types are overpowered and some shot types are really weak because it does let you sort of fine tune your difficulty when playing pretty well, and stage 4 in particular is one of my favorite stages in Touhou in terms of aesthetics. It's also a game system I don't find too intrusive and doesn't feel really frustrating to try to use (like UFOs).

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

BTW some of the Nijisanji EN VTubers had a karaoke + surprise announcement stream where the "surprise announcement" was actually 2 of them pranking the 3rd by springing Beatmario on them in their voice call partway through:

https://twitter.com/EngVTubersOOC/status/1445243911828557827

Apparently this was set up after management heard Pomu say she was a huge fan of Touhou music and Beatmario like a month ago.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

New minusT just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=430ejbSn-5k

It's insane how his stuff has managed to actually get better over time. Now to wait 2 more years until the next part.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Meeko posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1140150/__Lost_Branch_of_Legend/

touhou slay the spire is on sale for 20% off and its got english now. not fully finished yet but pretty fun.

Bought and did 1 run last night. I actually like that so much of the card pool and status effects are exactly the same as StS since it makes it pretty easy to get into. Had both Demon Form and Wraith Form clones and played a pretty attack heavy deck that beat Remilia pretty comfortably. It's well polished and I like it, though it's a little funny to pay more for the fan clone than the original work.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

7, 8, and 14 are probably the best ones to start with. 12 is also one that is a very clean shmup formula but tends towards harder.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I like Lost Branch of Legend but I think it has a ton of issues coming from it being tuned for people who really wanted extreme difficult STS gameplay. Also the map system is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

For context I'm comparing higher ascensions in STS to L7. I did several runs of L7 attempts and made it to the secret boss a few times but didn't finish a run early on. Most of the time elites were completely unwinnable without spell card and if I got to the boss with spell card it was usually a very close survive. Any run without card I'd just die for sure. Stuff like Lunatic Aya were just absolutely miserable.

And then I heard they had a patch that made fights after act 1 drastically harder without making anything else easier but I didn't really play that much after the patch I got all the unlocks on. It was one of the earlier patches though, it might be different now.

Also to be frank I'm sure I'm much worse at A20 than I remember but I did end up getting an A20 heart kill on every character at least once.